Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,658 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
BowSowy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cone said:

Quote:

The project i'm working on now has 3-sec gust speeds of 155mph at 130' above sea level and 1 minute sustained wind speeds of 172mph.
just curious how this works

what's more robust? a design for sustained speed higher than a 3-sec gust?

i was just thinking that the gust speed would generally be higher than sustained (i.e. a storm with 172 mph winds is going to have gusts higher than that), but i have no idea.
Gust is higher. This project's design criteria requires 100-yr storm gusts and 1000-yr storm sustained winds (which is why the sustained wind speed is higher than the gust wind speed in this case). For reference, the 100-yr sustained wind speed is 131mph
P.H. Dexippus
AG
2pm cdt update has NW movement at 315 degrees. Past update had NW movement at 310 degrees, so path is increasingly northward.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT3+shtml/261857.shtml?
gigemJTH12
AG
how are you feeling about Houston? I know we arent getting the eye but is it going to hold west enough to impact us at all?
South Platte
Motis B Totis said:

so the plan is to just hope it turns?
I've been on the sidelines pregame at Folsom Field in Boulder. When Ralphie enters the south end zone and turns toward your sideline, you get the same feeling, hoping he keeps turning and runOtherwise you have a enormous buffalo running right at you.
Unemployed
AG
FPS_Dough said:

So we are getting or not this thread is confusing?
I did learned a little bit about the history of Indianola, though.

Captivating.
V8Aggie
AG
Motis B Totis said:

can you add a time stamp to you cam screen?
Bah... apparently time stamps only show up if you download the video.

The photos I post are screen grabs so they're dated as of the time of the post.
Serotonin
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

how are you feeling about Houston? I know we arent getting the eye but is it going to hold west enough to impact us at all?
Quote:

Let's walk you through the expected wind and surge impacts at this time.
Houston area: West of I-45 (The Woodlands, Katy, Cypress, Sugar Land, etc.)
Periods of showers and thunderstorms possible to likely tonight. Impacts peak between 9 PM and 3 AM with winds of 15 to 25 mph and gusts as high as 30 mph or so.
Houston area: East of I-45, north of I-10 (Kingwood, Humble, Crosby, etc.)
Impacts peak between 9 PM and 4 AM with winds of 15 to 25 mph. Gusts will peak around 35 mph or so.
Areas around or just inland from Galveston & Trinity Bays (Bay Area communities, Texas City, League City, Baytown, etc.)
Impacts peak between 8 PM and 4 AM with sustained winds of 25 to 35 mph and gusts of 40 to 50 mph, highest south, lowest north. Surge of 1 to 3 feet, though northerly/northwesterly winds may push water to the south toward Galveston
Galveston & Bolivar
Impacts peak between 8 PM and 4 AM with sustained winds of 30 to 40 mph and gusts of 50 to 60 mph, or a bit higher possible. Storm surge on Galveston Island is expected to be on the order of 1 to 4 feet, with the bay side experiencing surge as well. Storm surge on the Bolivar Peninsula may be as high as 4 to 5 feet.
Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange area
Impacts peak between Midnight and 5 AM with sustained winds of 75 to 90 mph and gusts of 95 to 110 mph. Surge of 10 to 15 feet into Sabine Lake.
Lake Charles area
Impacts peak between midnight and 6 AM with sustained winds of 75 to 100 mph and gusts of 95 to 120 mph. Storm surge of 15 to 20 feet into Calcasieu Lake.
Rainfall
Just to further put you at ease, the total rainfall through tomorrow in the Houston area is expected to be 1 to 2 inches total. Many places will likely see less than this. A few to the south and east may see a bit more.
https://spacecityweather.com/laura-now-a-category-4-hurricane-will-be-a-catastrophic-storm-for-western-louisiana/
Oh Four Five
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Space City's latest update gives a pretty good breakdown.
Fitch
AG
HotardAg07 said:

European

UK

UKMET looks like it pushes a little further NW towards galvy before hooking hard north.
SLAM
BowSowy said:

Not sure when they were built, but current ASCE guidance has design 3-sec gust speeds of 140-170ish mph for the texas coast, depending on the risk category for buildings and other structures. I'm not sure if petro facilities have their own design criteria. I know offshore facilities typically use metocean data for their specific locations to develop design wind speeds. The project i'm working on now has 3-sec gust speeds of 155mph at 130' above sea level and 1 minute sustained wind speeds of 172mph.

A storm like this can sadly have gusts up to 180 to 200 mph. Combine that with a 20 foot surge and it's not going to be pretty for LNG storage. My company has many plants directly in the path, I'm anxiously awaiting to see how they do in the storm. I imagine the damage will be extreme, especially since we have a lot of old equipment in the area that is not remotely rated for those wind speeds.
HossAg
AG
Drifter. said:

I just left the trans-Cameron line myself. WHC's yard over in Grand Chenier is gonna be gone!

Lmao. Yep, those trailers are ****ed. I got all my stuff outta there.
cone
AG
good to know

thanks for the clarification

if we were still in the office, the chatter would be non-stop
South Platte
RealTalk said:

FPS_Dough said:

So we are getting or not this thread is confusing?
I did learned a little bit about the history of Indianola, though.

Captivating.
Charlie Robison will fill in the gaps for you.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Quote:

Laura is moving northwest at 16 mph, which is blazing fast for this part of the Gulf. For folks in Houston, it's important to know that Laura is doing what is expected, and "the turn" is underway. It's not "if" or "when." It "is" happening, and thankfully in the world of 21st century meteorology we can say that with authority

But that one guy though...
Unemployed
AG
Fitch said:

HotardAg07 said:

European

UK

UKMET looks like it pushes a little further NW towards galvy before hooking hard north.
It's too late to care about where this hurricane is heading because you can't do anything about it.

Good or bad, keep your beer on ice.
MAS444
AG
Our POC house floated down the street intact in Hurricane Carla (didn't own it at the time). It was one of the few surviving structures in POC. Does that count for anything?
cone
AG
i'm optimistic about the tankage

the jetties and loading arms, i dunno, man.
Dr. Doctor
AG
cone said:

our tank guys were saying the LNG tanks are designed for 150 mph gusts

no clue if that's really true or where and how it shows up on the design documents, but i'm pretty curious as to what those roofs are going to look like in the morning

also, what are the flare stacks designed for? i assume all the boil off gas from the tanks is getting flared during this event. it's got no place to go and the atmosphere is going below normal pressure. that's no big deal, but still this is something that only gets discussed in HAZOP rabbit holes in my experience.
Flare stacks are usually made for the same wind load as buildings. On projects, we have a Project Design Data (PDD) that will state the design codes and limits for everything (minimum temps, max temps, max air cooler design temps, max wind speed/direction, etc.)

Some of the issues I've seen with brownfield expansions (existing sites with new equipment or expanding current production) is that the old stuff stays the same and the new stuff is designed to new standards. For example, there were only 4 LNG sites from ~1970 to about 2000. So those built then (Trunkline, Cove Point, Southern, can't remember the other) were built to different standards. Wind speeds would be much less (probably Cat 2 or 3 max), storm surge less and design pressures. Once things changed in ~2000, more import sites built, but to different standards after all the storms. So now the older sites are trying to leverage existing equipment, but still handling 'new' design conditions.

Look at Arkema after Harvey. All their generators and chilling equipment was at 5' above the ground (or less). Why? Above what anyone would thought the water could get to. But they didn't listen to refineries and others closer to the coast, who after Ike flooded them, moved equipment higher.

I think a lot of the older sites are going to look like hell; tanks will be partially destroyed. I doubt you'll have loss of containment, but I could see major insulation missing and/or pipes ruptured. If you get flooding and the horizontal pipes going to the tank peeled away with storm waters, you will pull the pipes off the tank. When/where it rips will tell how the tanks will fare. I know on Trunkline, those tanks are single wall containment; ALL new tanks are double wall containment.

At another site I was at, Harvey ripped the roof off a control room building that was fairly new. Destroyed the inside and everything inside (control room, engineering offices, conference room, etc.). Building was designed for explosion and Cat 3. Luckily the computers were wrapped in plastic, so not a lot of hardware was destroyed, but you had the plant running in trailers for 6 months while you fixed the "safe" control room building.

BOG should be compressed unless they shut down everything. When designing for BOG, you'll have a pressure change with max outside ambient temperatures in holding mode. You'll do everything at once to see what the max boil-off rate is; this is what the tank vendor should be doing to ensure it won't go crazy. The RVs might lift for a bit, but that won't be too long. Usually just when the eye goes overhead. But venting the gas in a hurricane should allow for good 'mixing' and diffusion of the gas!

~egon
The TC Jester
Would it be dumb to make a late afternoon/evening trip to Galveston to check out the 7-9ft waves?
gif
The TC Jester said:

Would it be dumb to make a late afternoon/evening trip to Galveston to check out the 7-9ft waves?

Dumb is relative...you do you!
cmag
The TC Jester said:

I feel like there's a very real chance there's people at Surfside Jetties surfing right now.
The TC Jester
cmag said:

The TC Jester said:

I feel like there's a very real chance there's people at Surfside Jetties surfing right now.
I bet...just not sure how clean the breaks would be. Prob crazy choppy...but maybe not if it's on backside of the storm?

I'm just bored and think it'd be cool to go check out some big Galveston surf, if winds are supposed to max out at 50-60mph. Been in way worse.
David_Puddy
AG
The TC Jester said:

Not at all man....might as well bring your surf board as well.
Betoisafurry
gigemJTH12 said:

This was 7 this morning like 250 miles from shore

We are about to see all time destruction.

Cannot overemphasis the bullet Houston dodged

To be fair, that's the road to fourchon. It floods with a 1/2" of rain...
Seabreeze
Just came back from there, not much to see but a bunch of homeless guys on the seawall getting drunk. So nothing really out of the normal for Galveston right now
Jackal99
AG
Seabreeze said:

Just came back from there, not much to see but a bunch of homeless guys on the seawall getting drunk. So nothing really out of the normal for Galveston right now
Homeless? You sure it wasn't just other TexAggers out there enjoying some day drinking?
V8Aggie
AG
Live webcam at Surf...

https://www.galveston.com/webcams/surfvideocam/
schmendeler
AG
Jackal99 said:

Seabreeze said:

Homeless? You sure it wasn't just other TexAggers out there enjoying some day drinking?
he couldn't get close enough to see if they were wearing high-end watches.
The TC Jester
V8Aggie said:

Live webcam at Surf...

Hellya, already gettin a little gnarly and not even close to peak.

BQ_90
AG
The TC Jester said:

if you make a TexAgs sign and get on TV I'll buy you a year varsity sub.
BowSowy
AG

In case anyone wants to watch live streams, this person set it up to rotate through live streams at various places along the coast
Jackal99
AG
V8Aggie said:

Live webcam at Surf...

Ol' boy out there trying to get his picture for the 'gram.
BohunkAg
AG
L'Auberge webcam is right here:

http://api.wetmet.net/client-content/PlayerFrame.php?CAMERA=173-05-01&CFVER=WM&WIDTH=700&HEIGHT=394
V8Aggie
AG
Jackal99 said:

V8Aggie said:

Live webcam at Surf...

Ol' boy out there trying to get his picture for the 'gram.
Yeah, I was waiting for the step on algae...
The TC Jester
BQ_90 said:

The TC Jester said:

if you make a TexAgs sign and get on TV I'll buy you a year varsity sub.
Maybe something like "TEXAGS BELIEVES THAT ALL LIVES MATTER"?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.