Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,692 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the issue is that even if it blows through we're looking at a strong Cat 3 possibly Cat 4.

It'll be really interesting to see the development and how much it strengthens once in open water.
jenn96
AG
Great. This feels very Ike-like and Ike sucked. We're in the eastern part of Cypress and it was like being inside a car wash for 8 hours. Not looking forward to that with 2 little kids now.
htxag09
AG
One thing I know is people will be in for a real surprise if this thing comes through Houston as even a cat 3. A few people on my nextdoor are asking if people lost power in Ike. Of course people are chiming in how they didn't lose power during Harvey. And if you were dry and didn't lose power during Harvey you have nothing to worry about! They have no concept that it's a completely different storm and wind and rain are different threats.
Agz_2003
AG
jenn96 said:

Great. This feels very Ike-like and Ike sucked. We're in the eastern part of Cypress and it was like being inside a car wash for 8 hours. Not looking forward to that with 2 little kids now.

Worst part of Ike was electricity being down for days.

But yeah, 8-12 hours of strong winds. We lived near Copperfield during Ike.
videoag98
AG
Ike was also just a CAT 2 when it hit Galveston.
Premium
AG
htxag09 said:

One thing I know is people will be in for a real surprise if this thing comes through Houston as even a cat 3. A few people on my nextdoor are asking if people lost power in Ike. Of course people are chiming in how they didn't lose power during Harvey. And if you were dry and didn't lose power during Harvey you have nothing to worry about! They have no concept that it's a completely different storm and wind and rain are different threats.

Only 1-2 weeks of no power (no A/C in August) for literally all of Houston and surrounding areas.
Jet Black
Lost power for 11 days during Ike. Never lost power during Harvey and didn't flood. We couldn't go anywhere, but hell, going somewhere currently is a pain in the ass anyway
Jet Black
Didn't have hot water either.
Cromagnum
AG
Cool map.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-85.54,23.42,1535/loc=-61.755,31.552
RVAg02
AG
Yeah those people are morons. Houston was put back to pioneer days for two weeks after Ike. I remember downtown got power back early and my law firm called us all back in. This one old staff lady who had the same short straight haircut for 20 years came in and looked like carrot top or bozo because she had no straightening iron or blowdryer. Funniest damn thing I ever saw.
Agz_2003
AG
We were fortunate to have unseasonalby cool days after Ike blew through.
Seabreeze
Goodnight all. See yall tomorrow

Premium
AG
This is a worse than Ike storm if it hits. People not familiar with Houston, all of our power-lines are above ground next to weak ass trees that fall over.
aggiedrew08
AG
Our office told us to bring our families to the office with us so they could use the showers in the gym, eat in the cafeteria, and have AC during the day.
Gig-Em2003
AG
aggiedrew08 said:

Our office told us to bring our families to the office with us so they could use the showers in the gym, eat in the cafeteria, and have AC during the day.

That ain't happening with COVID. Or will it? (It should)
htxag09
AG
RVAg02 said:

Yeah those people are morons. Houston was put back to pioneer days for two weeks after Ike. I remember downtown got power back early and my law firm called us all back in. This one old staff lady who had the same short straight haircut for 20 years came in and looked like carrot top or bozo because she had no straightening iron or blowdryer. Funniest damn thing I ever saw.

Someone literally said, you're not in the burbs, this is the city. You have no risk of being without power in the city. I argued, and they said I need to get a new power provider. Smh
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Our power where I level in Dickinson was back after a couple of days after Ike. Didn't flood during Harvey in our house on the east side of League City. No idea what a strong wind hurricane looks like at this house though.
Post removed:
by user
gigemJTH12
AG
htxag09 said:

Yep. If this hits Houston head on we are probably going to have power outages unlike we have ever seen or have seen in a very long time
Seabreeze
Bay Colonies probably if its on the League City side.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Harbor Park
Jock 07
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Stalling is the exception, correct? Is everyone just asking about the stall since Harvey is recent memory?

That and Allison
redag06
If it's anything like Ike at all, people will regret all of the construction that has happened south of Webster over the past 10 years.
Seabreeze
New official track in 10 minutes
BCOBQ98
AG
11pm looks about the same
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I was in the townhomes in Bay Colony off 517 for Ike. Opposite side now.
nancydeedavis
10PM NOAA track basically unchanged
jenn96
AG
I remember; it was the only thing that kept me sane. And I was able to get back to work in a couple of days so I could shower and dress at the office. We got our office power on in 2 days; it was out for 10 days at the house.

I think a lot of younger folks are thinking of Harvey as a "hurricane" but it really wasn't in Houston; it was just a never-ending biblical rain. Hurricanes mean wind and wind means no power.
Premium
AG
Seabreeze said:

New official track in 10 minutes

I know you keep trying to leave us tonight, but this is addicting!
Seabreeze
Ahh got ya. I'm in Seabrook just off Toddville in Harbor Cove.
aggiedrew08
AG
Quincey P. Morris
AG
So you're just on the other side of Compass Rose.
Seabreeze
it is. But I really do have to go to bed lol. I have to drive to Sabine Pass of all places tomorrow for a work computer lol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.