Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,668 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
coastalAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
third coast.. said:

cone said:

all hell breaks loose at 10 AM

Heading to home depot before that one comes oit hoping to beat the mad rush fornthe plywood I need

Lowe's in The Woodlands was a ghost town just now. Doesn't seem like the public at large has caught on yet. Still time to get supplies
RebelE91
AG
For those that were not around for the Rita evacuation ****show, run from the water but hide from the wind. If you are safe from affects of the storm surge, don't evacuate before the storm unless you have some extenuating circumstance. The Ike evacuation 3 years later went much better when people followed that guideline.
drwong
AG
TXTransplant said:

Nagler said:

Thoughts and opinions on Pearland? Feel like we're in that "kinda close to the coast zone, but not exactly".

Just my humble opinion after living on the Gulf Coast for most of my life - if you're not in an area that's going to be affected by storm surge, there really is no need to evacuate.

If you'll be inconvenienced by no power for a few days, then you might want to relocate, if possible.

Lord help us all if we are out of power for two weeks, like after Ike. I didn't live here then, but from all accounts of those who did, it was miserable.

In general, for those who've never been through this before, gas up your car, fill the bathtub with water, and start eating anything in your fridge/freezer that you don't want to spoil. I'm going to park one car in the driveway, just because I don't like dealing with the garage door when the power is out.

If you have stuff in your backyard (like a trampoline), PLEASE secure it!
Been in Pearland for almost 20 years. We evacuated during Ike and the neighbors that stayed wished they had left. We had pretty significant roof damage which unfortunately got in the house.

Probably going to board up today and head out tonight/tomorrow.
jopatura
AG
My parents were without power during Ike for 17 days. It just depends what electrical infrastructure is destroyed during the storm. I think the main power supply for their zipcode was pretty much obliterated.
gigemJTH12
AG
BErger just said it.
Anti-taxxer
AG
drwong said:

TXTransplant said:

Nagler said:

Thoughts and opinions on Pearland? Feel like we're in that "kinda close to the coast zone, but not exactly".

Just my humble opinion after living on the Gulf Coast for most of my life - if you're not in an area that's going to be affected by storm surge, there really is no need to evacuate.

If you'll be inconvenienced by no power for a few days, then you might want to relocate, if possible.

Lord help us all if we are out of power for two weeks, like after Ike. I didn't live here then, but from all accounts of those who did, it was miserable.

In general, for those who've never been through this before, gas up your car, fill the bathtub with water, and start eating anything in your fridge/freezer that you don't want to spoil. I'm going to park one car in the driveway, just because I don't like dealing with the garage door when the power is out.

Been in Pearland for almost 20 years. We evacuated during Ike and the neighbors that stayed wished they had left. We had pretty significant roof damage which unfortunately got in the house.

Are you on the 35 side or the 288 side?
Anti-taxxer
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

BErger just said it.

Just said what?
wessimo
AG
What?
TXTransplant
For me personally, roof damage doesn't scare me. I'd rather be home to address it ASAP rather than evacuate and come home to a mess days later. But, I also have cats, so evacuating would be a PITA.

Other people have different thresholds, but as another poster said, storm surge is what you really have to run from.

Another scenario is a tree could fall on your house, but the other lesson I learned from growing up on the Gulf Coast is you should cut down all the large trees that could potentially fall on your house during a big storm.

I know not everyone is able or wants to do that, though. Thankfully, the developer of my subdivision did that for me.
Martin Q. Blank
TXTransplant said:

I actually wouldn't describe it as miserable. More surreal. It was actually a decent temperature and everyone was outside because there was nothing to do - TV, internet, electricity all down. Just spent time with neighbors cleaning up debris in each other's yards.
TXAG14
Just got a new roof in March. Being 2020 I should have known that would attract a hurricane.
drwong
AG
Anti-taxxer said:

drwong said:

TXTransplant said:

Nagler said:

288 side, right by the Ford Dealership. For Ike, we were north of 518, just east of 288.
Ag_07
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

BErger just said it.

WTF?

Said what?
TXTransplant
Martin Q. Blank said:

TXTransplant said:

I actually wouldn't describe it as miserable. More surreal. It was actually a decent temperature and everyone was outside because there was nothing to do - TV, internet, electricity all down. Just spent time with neighbors cleaning up debris in each other's yards.

It's good to hear another perspective. Maybe it was just me thinking it had to be miserable. Growing up in MS, I'm pretty sure we never lost power for two weeks after a storm (I didn't live there when Katrina hit, though).

Given everything else going on right now, I tend to think no one has a long enough fuse to survive two weeks with no power, though.
Anti-taxxer
AG
drwong said:

Anti-taxxer said:

drwong said:

TXTransplant said:

Nagler said:

288 side, right by the Ford Dealership. For Ike, we were north of 518, just east of 288.

That where I am, too.
drmwvr
AG
Memorial and Wilcrest area here. Lost power for 14 days during Ike due to downed trees taking out power lines. Line crew from Pennsylvania restored our street's power. Also, lots of home were damaged from falling trees (mostly pines). 8kw gen and two window units were a life saver!

We plan to stay.
TXTransplant
TXAG14 said:

Just got a new roof in March. Being 2020 I should have known that would attract a hurricane.

Of course it did! You should have installed a generator instead!
Burn-It
AG
League City/Seabrook resident since 1995. Been through Allison, Rita, Ike & Harvey. I stayed home through all of them. Hung outside while Ike's eye passed overhead. The worst wind storm was Rita. Knocked a big ass palm into my pool. Tore up some fence & had a few areas along my roof that were damaged, causing some leaks. Im glad I was there to limit the water damage inside the house.

Ike was not terrible, lost power briefly, but no damage.

Harvey sucked. Neighborhood flooded due to drainage culverts plugging. Once the city figured that out, the water disappeared pretty quick. No power for 3 days sucked, but my little Honda EU2000 ran the refrigerators, TV, and a small window ac unit.

Laura looks to be a Cat2, maybe. We will definitely ride this out too. Hopefully she stays east, dont want the dirty side.
AKA 13-0
LostInLA07
AG
Just snagged some 5 gallon gas cans at the Woodlands WalMart. They also have a few generators if anyone wants one. Leave in box and return if you don't end up needing it.
cab559
AG
I live in the same area (memorial / wilcrest) and am telling my wife to skip virtual school and take my 8 and 5 year olds to her parents place in la Grange. And to leave in the next 2 hours.

We are from beaumont so have experienced several of these and don't want to ride out a major wind storm here with kids.
Ajollyag
Anti-taxxer said:

drwong said:

Anti-taxxer said:

drwong said:

TXTransplant said:

Nagler said:

That where I am, too.

Nice to know there are fellow ags out that way. Parents live in sedona lakes
SockDePot
drmwvr said:

Memorial and Wilcrest area here. Lost power for 14 days during Ike due to downed trees taking out power lines. Line crew from Pennsylvania restored our street's power. Also, lots of home were damaged from falling trees (mostly pines). 8kw gen and two window units were a life saver!

Spring branch. No power for 3 weeks. I stayed at my parents' in Katy, infuriating to drive in and lights on until the beltway, and then after silber. Water oaks are the devil...
gigemJTH12
AG
Ag_07 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

BErger just said it.

WTF?

Said what?

drwong
AG
ajolly said:

Anti-taxxer said:

drwong said:

Anti-taxxer said:

drwong said:

TXTransplant said:

Nagler said:

That where I am, too.

Nice to know there are fellow ags out that way. Parents live in sedona lakes
Cool, Silvercreek here.
htxag09
AG
What are the odds of having no power but not being able to leave after the storm? In 77007, plan on riding it out. However, the wife is 5 1/2 months pregnant so being without power for a substantial period probably not in our future.
JYDog90
AG
Bob Lee said:

camelclub said:

Anyone else located near beltway 8 and I10? Not as worried about wind here but don't want to be stuck without power or AC. Would likely head to Austin if we do evacuate
I'm in Austin now through Saturday for work. My wife and kids are in Katy. I just talked to her and they're gonna stay put. We have a bunch of tall pines, so my main concern is one of them coming down on the house. Not too worried about flooding. It sounds like they're expecting this thing to move on through.

My experience with tall pines is that they aren't the ones that get uprooted, they fare pretty well in a hurricane. It's the oaks with the large canopies that are in watered yards that have broad, shallow roots...those are the ones that the wind catches like a sail and brings down your garage and breaks windows in your breakfast nook. If that sounds a little specific, it's because I've lived it.
Formerly Willy Wonka
drwong
AG
TXTransplant said:

For me personally, roof damage doesn't scare me. I'd rather be home to address it ASAP rather than evacuate and come home to a mess days later. But, I also have cats, so evacuating would be a PITA.

Other people have different thresholds, but as another poster said, storm surge is what you really have to run from.

Another scenario is a tree could fall on your house, but the other lesson I learned from growing up on the Gulf Coast is you should cut down all the large trees that could potentially fall on your house during a big storm.

I know not everyone is able or wants to do that, though. Thankfully, the developer of my subdivision did that for me.
I hear you. We left then because my son was not quite 2 at the time. I came back right after and started repairing what I could. No power for a week or so but like someone else said, the weather was pleasant for a few days afterwards.
CowtownAg06
AG
Without flooding you should be ok. By about 9 am post Ike the roads were wide open and nobody was moving.
Anti-taxxer
AG
htxag09 said:

What are the odds of having no power but not being able to leave after the storm? In 77007, plan on riding it out. However, the wife is 5 1/2 months pregnant so being without power for a substantial period probably not in our future.

We stayed for Ike and left the next day without any problems.
07fta07
AG
I did the same for Ike. Rode it out in Friendswood and headed out the next day after cleaning up the yard and clearing out the fridge/freezer. Roads were empty. I maybe saw a couple cars from Friendswood to College Station.
Jdrexgman
AG
Burn-It said:

League City/Seabrook resident since 1995. Been through Allison, Rita, Ike & Harvey. I stayed home through all of them. Hung outside while Ike's eye passed overhead. The worst wind storm was Rita. Knocked a big ass palm into my pool. Tore up some fence & had a few areas along my roof that were damaged, causing some leaks. Im glad I was there to limit the water damage inside the house.

Ike was not terrible, lost power briefly, but no damage.

Harvey sucked. Neighborhood flooded due to drainage culverts plugging. Once the city figured that out, the water disappeared pretty quick. No power for 3 days sucked, but my little Honda EU2000 ran the refrigerators, TV, and a small window ac unit.

Laura looks to be a Cat2, maybe. We will definitely ride this out too. Hopefully she stays east, dont want the dirty side.
What do you do to limit leaks during the storm from inside the house?
NomadicAggie
AG
We were in SCR for Ike, came right over us. We got burned in the whole Rita evacuation so decided to stay put for Ike. Sounded like a giant jet engine was parked right on top of the house for hours. We were all huddled in the closet hoping the roof wouldn't come off. You could hear the windows flexing in the frames. Because our neighborhood was very new, there weren't a lot of big trees (thankfully), and most of the electrical was buried. We had power back within a couple of days, but many places around us were much longer without. Swore I'd never sit through another...especially at night in the dark with no power.
redag06
Pine trees do move with the wind, but I've seen plenty snap like a twig after Ike, even saw quite a few pines snap after Harvey.
Skillet Shot
Martin Q. Blank said:

TXTransplant said:

We had very different experiences during Ike. Pine tree on the house, 2 deep freezers full of rotten meat, sleeping in front of a box fan sweating my ass off for 3 weeks. The community response and helping neighbors was great, but the entire experience was pretty miserable. Maybe im just a spoiled snowflake, but i like to sleep with air at 68.
SJEAg
AG
Looks like BAMWX is sticking to their doomsday scenario this morning...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.