Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,672 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tmaggie50 said:

With a hit through Houston, what would the winds be by the time it made it to downtown? Below 100?
100 mph in downtown is not out of the question at all.
The Brazos Kid
Latest Space City Weather just dropped:
https://spacecityweather.com/models-have-trended-west-with-laura-and-thats-not-good-for-houston/
camelclub
AG
Anyone else located near beltway 8 and I10? Not as worried about wind here but don't want to be stuck without power or AC. Would likely head to Austin if we do evacuate
Agasaurus Tex
AG
City of Galveston ordered an evacuation as of noon today.
jenn96
AG
After going through Ike (I'm in Cypress) I'd rather stay and deal with any damage to my house asap. We lost power for 10 days which sucked. If that happens again now that Ive got kids we might leave afterwards
Nitro Power
AG
camelclub said:

Anyone else located near beltway 8 and I10? Not as worried about wind here but don't want to be stuck without power or AC. Would likely head to Austin if we do evacuate
I am more worried about flying COVID particles than losing power...HTH
LostInLA07
AG
TxFoundry said:

https://spacecityweather.com/models-have-trended-west-with-laura-and-thats-not-good-for-houston/

Looks like the panic will begin at 10am when the local news gets the latest NHC update.
aggiedata
AG
Unless you live in the storm surge, don't evacuate into a traffic jam. Fill up your car, then leave after the storm if you need to.

More people died evacuating from Rita then we're killed by Rita.
gougler08
AG
LostInLA07 said:

TxFoundry said:

Looks like the panic will begin at 10am when the local news gets the latest NHC update.
Yep...when that "M" on the picture is close/on the port of Houston, all hell is going to break loose
DuncanAg
AG
camelclub said:

Same location...likely do we what we did during Ike. If power goes leave when the sun come up after the wind starts to die down. Roads will be wide open.
Bob Lee
AG
camelclub said:

I'm in Austin now through Saturday for work. My wife and kids are in Katy. I just talked to her and they're gonna stay put. We have a bunch of tall pines, so my main concern is one of them coming down on the house. Not too worried about flooding. It sounds like they're expecting this thing to move on through.
Air Force Ags
AG
Post removed:
by user
redag06
Leaving right after the storm also allows you to assess any damages to your home.

As for power hope that you are close or near the circuit to a hospital, waster water treatment, etc. items that Centerpoint will be turning on before others
LostInLA07
AG
Never thought about proximity to water plants. I guess that's why our power is rarely out for any length of time.
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
7 am advisory is out. She's at 70 mph winds.. still no change from the current track as of now.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Don't read into that... I don't think the 0700/0800 (depending on time zone of the storm) typically includes a track shift.
cone
AG
all hell breaks loose at 10 AM
Charlie Murphy
weighing leaving now versus afterwards. I could get out by 9 AM. Traffic cams look ok so far.
Premium
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

weighing leaving now versus afterwards. I could get out by 9 AM. Traffic cams look ok so far.

Just leave, station yourself on the outskirts of the city, and do a U turn in 3-4 hours if things change.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

We are leaving after.
kapon
AG
This is the first hurricane season I'll be in Montgomery.
What do you think it will be like here?
Cromagnum
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Don't read into that... I don't think the 0700/0800 (depending on time zone of the storm) typically includes a track shift.

Correct. Track shifts only happen on the 4s and 10s.
Anti-taxxer
AG
kapon said:

Windy. Not devastating.
Premium
AG
kapon said:

Same here. I really am not expecting anything too bad, I'm staying. If power goes out for more than a day or two I'll leave.

I stayed in a beach house in West Galveston for Harvey with 2 little kids. The Tornado warnings is what scared the crap out of me and made it a horrible night. That's fresh on my mind so even up in Montgomery I keep thinking about that aspect.
TXAG14
She is a hurricane.

Air Force Ags
AG
If you live right on upper TX coast between Freeport & Beaumont, you must get out now! Expect 6-10 foot storm surge, which is biggest killer. I know Freeport not in the cone, but any further westward shift puts you dangerously close to Laura & by then you will have little time to react.

Post removed:
by user
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Anti-taxxer said:

kapon said:

Windy. Not devastating.
That was my experience during Rita when we evacuated to my dad's place there.
Nagler
AG
Thoughts and opinions on Pearland? Feel like we're in that "kinda close to the coast zone, but not exactly".
Seabreeze
Shift West comming at the 10am update it looks like.

jobu93
AG
Britta banging the drum this morning and she's normally pretty chilled out.
cmag
Nagler said:

Thoughts and opinions on Pearland? Feel like we're in that "kinda close to the coast zone, but not exactly".

I didn't live here during Ike but the neighbors said about 3 days without power and damage, but not catastrophic.
TXTransplant
Nagler said:

Just my humble opinion after living on the Gulf Coast for most of my life - if you're not in an area that's going to be affected by storm surge, there really is no need to evacuate.

If you'll be inconvenienced by no power for a few days, then you might want to relocate, if possible.

Lord help us all if we are out of power for two weeks, like after Ike. I didn't live here then, but from all accounts of those who did, it was miserable.

In general, for those who've never been through this before, gas up your car, fill the bathtub with water, and start eating anything in your fridge/freezer that you don't want to spoil. I'm going to park one car in the driveway, just because I don't like dealing with the garage door when the power is out.

If you have stuff in your backyard (like a trampoline), PLEASE secure it!
TexAg2001
AG
Nagler said:

Which part of Pearland? I had recently moved to Shadow Creek Ranch prior to Ike hitting in 2008 and it wasn't too bad. We lost a handful of shingles, wood fence came down, and we were without power for about a week. No damage from trees, but we were in a new section of SCR and the trees were all small. We had a small generator to run a fan, refrigerator, etc, but getting gas for it was a pain because many of the gas stations in the area were without power.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.