Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,805 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
Seabreeze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do what you think is right. Having lived here all my life, I haven't run from one yet. Not saying I won't, but as of this minute I'm staying.
LostInLA07
AG
I think they are projecting tropical storm force winds at the worst in the woodlands. As long as you're ok with the potential for no power for a few days I don't know why you'd leave, and most likely you won't lose power for more than a few hours to a day if at all.
SpringAg92
tommyjohn said:

No power will be the biggest concern.

Ike was still a Cat1 that far north. It wasn't a fun night but I am in The Woodlands and not leaving.

This is what I am worried about. I have a friend who said they had no power for 2.5 weeks. Someone in my neighborhood saying they were just out for a few hours. Weeks in this heat does not sound good to me.

Thanks for the replies.
SpringAg92
Thanks LostinLA
TXAG14
Not feeling great about this. Probably going to be boarding up today.
Anti-taxxer
AG
TXAG14 said:

Not feeling great about this. Probably going to be boarding up today.

Where are you?
TopFlightReject
Anti-taxxer said:

Agasaurus Tex said:

I'm afraid this could get really bad for this area. Headed for Austin in the morning.

.....and reading the Discussion makes it sound even worse than the forecast.

What discussion? Where do you see that?

The NHC's Forecast Discussion at their 4am update. Leaves the door wide open for them to shift the forecast track farther west at the 7am/10am update (most likely 10) if the models keep projecting it.
TXAG14
Brazoria county. About 25 miles from the coast.
Scientific
AG
The rain is what will always concern me. With our luck it slows down and keeps pouring.
PhatMack19
AG
4am model has it hitting my house. We are packing up to head out now
Anti-taxxer
AG
TXAG14 said:

Brazoria county. About 25 miles from the coast.

I think I'm about 10 miles north of you. I had t even thought about boarding. Should we be?
gougler08
AG
SpringAg92 said:

tommyjohn said:

No power will be the biggest concern.

Ike was still a Cat1 that far north. It wasn't a fun night but I am in The Woodlands and not leaving.

This is what I am worried about. I have a friend who said they had no power for 2.5 weeks. Someone in my neighborhood saying they were just out for a few hours. Weeks in this heat does not sound good to me.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah we are southwest side of town with 2 kids and a pregnant wife, may bail to CS and stay with my parents just in case...no power sounds horrible even if it's only a day or two
LostInLA07
AG
They are saying potential for high cat 3. I would probably prepare to board up if in the path in a coastal area, but wait until tomorrow to actually do it (unless leaving today).
Kenneth_2003
AG
I'm in Spring, older home/neighborhood... Garage in the back with the driveway going between homes. Two large oaks are my concern. If they go down they'll take out part of the garage and likely a chunk of the house. Not a damn thing I can do about it.
Seabreeze
Definitely starting to hit on all cylinders looks like.
deadbq03
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

I'm in Spring, older home/neighborhood... Garage in the back with the driveway going between homes. Two large oaks are my concern. If they go down they'll take out part of the garage and likely a chunk of the house. Not a damn thing I can do about it.
In the oldest part of The Woodlands and that's my concern too.

With this dry summer, my trees look very fragile right now.
94chem
Seabreeze said:

What is that? A Monet?
nosoupforyou
AG
Storm hits Wed evening and leaves Thursday

What's the story on impact to Houston? Anyone planning to leave?

I'm likely to stay - definitely don't want to be in a huge tragic mess
Seabreeze
Lol, center of circulation
SLAM
94chem said:

Seabreeze said:

What is that? A Monet?

Wind field of the storm clearly showing the center of circulation.
spadilly
S
Catching up from overnight, the 4 AM Update has the watch expanded southwest and a slight nudge west in the track.

Now predicted to be a major hurricane at landfall.

Unfortunately I expect the track to shift further west at the 10:00 am update. I have a sick feeling about this.

Kenneth_2003
AG
nosoupforyou said:

It depends how far west the track shifts. Houston/Harris County have been more or less in the cone of uncertainty for over 24 hrs now. Don't focus on the skinny black line. If this thing hits where the black line is right now (4am update) as a major, Cat 3 or greater, storm the core of hurricane force winds could easily extend 50 each side of the eye. That would be sustained winds greater than 79 mph.
Bonfired
AG
nosoupforyou said:

Planning on sticking around (Fort Bend Co.), even if the path ends up more west than is shown now.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
The link for Forecast Discussion is just above the link for the Warning/Cone graphic.
camelclub
AG
Is it possible that the higher winds could kick up latent COVID particles that have settled to the ground and cause a potential spike?
cone
AG
lolwut
gigemJTH12
AG
camelclub said:

Is it possible that the higher winds could kick up latent COVID particles that have settled to the ground and cause a potential spike?
absolutely. wear your mask even at home now.
gigemJTH12
AG
any particular reason why?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
When Rita came in 2005, my wife was roughly 3 months pregnant. We high-tailed it out of Katy to head to my dad's in Montgomery. I think we left largely due to what we'd seen earlier from Katrina. We took back roads from Katy up through Cypress, Tomball, and Pinehurst. It was a rough night with all the trees in my dad's yard blowing this way and that, but thankfully nothing fell (during Ike one of the trees in his back yard would fall right into the neighbor's house). The next day we went home out 105 to 45 then hit Beltway 8 to 10. That was a strange drive - literally no traffic on those roads, but lots of debris. When we got home, our street appeared as if the sprinkler system had run and there was a bit of runoff along the curbs. We still had power.

On that experience, when Ike came in 2008, we opted to stay home in Cinco Ranch. We had the 2 year old with us, and my mom came in from Angleton to stay with us. That storm did actually hit our house, and during the night I heard what sounded like a can opening, which turned out to be rows of shingles ripping away from our roof. But no real issues other than loss of power for a few hours.

Harvey was not a direct hit on the Houston area; it was much more of a Biblical rain event. That was the highest I have ever seen water get around the house, with the level reaching onto the yard and the sidewalk that is roughly 8 feet from my dining room window. Did not get a drop of water into the house, did not lose power, nothing.

We are likely staying home for Laura.
Agz_2003
AG
camelclub said:

I think the sun provides enough UV to take care of this.

Lina and Sly hope you're concern will be legitimate.
sts7049
AG
is it possible you could stop junking up this thread with your trolling?
tmaggie50
AG
With a hit through Houston, what would the winds be by the time it made it to downtown? Below 100?
SLAM
tmaggie50 said:

With a hit through Houston, what would the winds be by the time it made it to downtown? Below 100?

Remember all of the windows Ike blew out? Expect that to happen again with a stronger storm.
LostInLA07
AG
Yeah downtown looked like a war zone after Ike.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

The link for Forecast Discussion is just above the link for the Warning/Cone graphic.

Thank you!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.