Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,645 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
drwong
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NomadicAggie said:

We were in SCR for Ike, came right over us. We got burned in the whole Rita evacuation so decided to stay put for Ike. Sounded like a giant jet engine was parked right on top of the house for hours. We were all huddled in the closet hoping the roof wouldn't come off. You could hear the windows flexing in the frames. Because our neighborhood was very new, there weren't a lot of big trees (thankfully), and most of the electrical was buried. We had power back within a couple of days, but many places around us were much longer without. Swore I'd never sit through another...especially at night in the dark with no power.
Yep, that's what has me leaning towards leaving.
Martin Q. Blank
htxag09 said:

What are the odds of having no power but not being able to leave after the storm? In 77007, plan on riding it out. However, the wife is 5 1/2 months pregnant so being without power for a substantial period probably not in our future.
You may have to move a few tree branches out of the street to get out.
aftershock
Idk if it's been me mentioned or not, but if you decide to get out of town via the west side, I-10 is under pretty significant construction from about Brookshire all the way through Sealy. I drove it yesterday and I think it was down to 2 lanes in some parts. It'll back up in a hurry, and you won't go anywhere fast.
Bassmaster
AG
Just had a whole home generator installed 3 weeks ago. I hope I don't have to use it, but I'm feeling pretty good about that decision right now.
Nitro Power
AG
aftershock said:

Idk if it's been me mentioned or not, but if you decide to get out of town via the west side, I-10 is under pretty significant construction from about Brookshire all the way through Sealy. I drove it yesterday and I think it was down to 2 lanes in some parts. It'll back up in a hurry, and you won't go anywhere fast.
Good point. I live in Katy and even at 5 in the morning when I head to the lake it can get backed up. Mass evacuation...forget about it.
gigemJTH12
AG
Bassmaster said:

Just had a whole home generator installed 3 weeks ago. I hope I don't have to use it, but I'm feeling pretty good about that decision right now.

READ THE ROOM
The Kraken
AG
SJEAg said:

Looks like BAMWX is sticking to their doomsday scenario this morning...

That would be a doomsday path
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
jetch17
Ragoo
AG
I just hope I can get my Wednesday evening run in.
AustinCountyAg
excellent point about I-10. Its a complete cluster **** from Brookshire to west of Seal about ten miles. If I were looking to evacuate and go west it would be on 59 and I would be going south towards Victoria.
Daddy-O5
AG
My parents are "debating" whether or not to leave the Island. LOI's have a sickness I tell ya.
Sazerac
AG
I will stay to assess and then see if I need to leave depending on power outage.
I left for Ike and the stress of not knowing if my house was still standing - or filling with rain - was brutal.

I have a huge generator so that relieves some of the stress. But if it looks like multi days without power I'd still take off if I can.

Still think this will hit east of us...I hope.
Daddy-O5
AG
Bassmaster said:

Just bought a house and I've considered it since we moved in a few months ago, didn't want to rush into anything and wanted to do my "research".

aggiedata
AG
htxag09 said:

What are the odds of having no power but not being able to leave after the storm? In 77007, plan on riding it out. However, the wife is 5 1/2 months pregnant so being without power for a substantial period probably not in our future.

Rice Military was sporadic. Some townhomes never lost power, but most did for at least a week. 10 days was our neighborhoods number. The electric lines are not buried and very outdated around there. A few townhomes had collapsed outer walls.

They had power cords running from those who did to those who didn't.

We were in the woodlands at the time. We moved to RM afterwards. We were without power for 6 days in The Woodlands. Trees hitting houses was the biggest issue we had there.
Motis B Totis
AG
is that update real?
redag06
My parents have Entergy and have always had awful electric.

3 weeks out with Rita, 19 days with Ike, 10 days with Harvey, countless other long outages. Finally after Harvey they got a whole home to power everything.
tk for tu juan
Looking at water vapor satellite, is the western edge of the ridge still to the east of Laura? If she strengthens, wouldn't she start more on a NNW track sooner?

https://tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=atl&product=wv-mid
AgDotCom
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Bassmaster said:

Just bought a house and I've considered it since we moved in a few months ago, didn't want to rush into anything and wanted to do my "research".

I wouldn't beat yourself up. People don't buy permanent generators every day, getting a good fit and installation isn't automatic, you need to take your time and do your research. I bought one for a semi-industrial application in 2009 and it has sucked. They aren't cheap.
sts7049
AG
TXAG 05
AG
Ragoo said:

I just hope I can get my Wednesday evening run in.

Get a hobby man
cone
AG
does anyone north of 59 need to board windows?
Jet Black
Nm
Jock 07
AG
My folks in JV just put in a whole home generator earlier this year, starting to sound like a solid investment. They lost power for quite a while during Ike, friends would come by with a generator like every other day and run the freezer for them for a few hours to keep it cold.
Chase McGuire
I am new to Houston and live in an apartment in Midtown. How does my area look during/after a hurricane? I'm from College Station, so I've never had to worry about them much.
gougler08
AG
Chase McGuire said:

I am new to Houston and live in an apartment in Midtown. How does my area look during/after a hurricane? I'm from College Station, so I've never had to worry about them much.
Go buy a bunch of booze and ride it out
Unemployed
AG
Just filled up gas tank and got several cases of beer.

Gonna hunker down and hope for the best.
Chase McGuire
I live across the street from Spec's. We're locked and loaded.
Nitro Power
AG
I would stick with whiskey. If the power goes out the beer might not stay cold.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Jock 07 said:

My folks in JV just put in a whole home generator earlier this year, starting to sound like a solid investment. They lost power for quite a while during Ike, friends would come by with a generator like every other day and run the freezer for them for a few hours to keep it cold.
I'd been looking at, at least, a propane portable generator... But hadn't pulled the trigger. I'm kicking myself right now.
The TC Jester
Jackal99
AG
RealTalk said:

Just filled up gas tank and got several cases of beer.

Gonna hunker down and hope for the best.

Username checks out.
Seabreeze

Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Chase McGuire said:

I live across the street from Spec's. We're locked and loaded.
I rode out Ike at 2222 Smith. It was a fun party in the hallways.

You will be fine.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
cone said:

does anyone north of 59 need to board windows?

Generally no. Something random could get kicked up by the wind, but I think it's pretty low risk.
Jet Black
Loot! Loot! Loot!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.