Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

517,238 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by V8Aggie
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Galveston is already under a mandatory evacuation order.
HtownAg92
AG
Don't we usually get some intel from O&G guys whose company weather teams have more detailed track and intensity info to protect offshore assets?
LostInLA07
AG
I suspect we'll see additional evac orders later today. Noon Wednesday is a conservative deadline for the coast but the reality is probably that most areas have until Wednesday early evening to be gone. There's still a lot of time tonight and tomorrow for evacuation.

The stores will be a **** show beginning this evening / late afternoon though.
JobSecurity
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
Looking at Transtar right now:

Ag12thman
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

I think the NHC cares more about being right than they do people evacuating Galveston. I just can't get behind the idea they'd sandbag their prediction because of that.
I just feel like no one would ever listen to them again if they sandbagged for any reason.
AustinCountyAg
they aren't sandbagging. Houston is in their cone.

What would be stupid, is for them to drastically move the cone west and then have the hurrican take a hard right. They are playing in conservatively which is the smart move considering Houston's size.
gougler08
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Don't we usually get some intel from O&G guys whose company weather teams have more detailed track and intensity info to protect offshore assets?
I work for Shell and our latest update mirrored the NHC track at the 7am update, but we are getting things kicked up for our continuity plans and making a call on if we evacuate critical Houston based personnel this afternoon
Coog97
bigjag19 said:

Coog97 said:

In Clear Lake... about three miles down Space Center Blvd from Nassau Bay, right at Bay Area Blvd.

I'm on the fence as to go or not.

I'm 2 miles from you. Wife and kid heading out. I'll weather with hound. We lose power I'll leave afterward.
That's kinda where I'm leaning. Wife's job is sending her to their disaster recovery set-up inland, so I think I'm gonna top off the car, fill a couple of cans for the generator and swing by Spec's... ride it out with the pup.

STAY SAFE!
Mr.Bond
AG
bigjag19 said:

Coog97 said:

In Clear Lake... about three miles down Space Center Blvd from Nassau Bay, right at Bay Area Blvd.

I'm 2 miles from you. Wife and kid heading out. I'll weather with hound. We lose power I'll leave afterward.

In league city. Generator fired up today, I'll do my best to prep house for flooding but we're staying. God bless all of us and prayers for safety
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Houston is not in the cone. At least not as of 11am cst. But no way they are sandbagging.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Premium said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I am no scientist, but I've pretty much been staring at models, reading forums, etc since Sunday and if I had to bet I think it makes landfall just east of Galveston.I agree with the posters above who mention being conservative as to not induce mass choas for Houston, when honestly the majority of people do not need to evacuate.

I also think Laura will borderline be a cat 4 storm.

This is me.

I am a scientist. I believe the guys in Miami are the best in the world and they don't have an agenda. They move the cone as the data says to. They say Sabine Pass, I am going with Sabine Pass. It has consistently shifted west, but I don't seeit shifting further West than High Island. We are staying here in LC/Kemah until the pros shift it west of High Island.
Premium
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

I think the NHC cares more about being right than they do people evacuating Galveston. I just can't get behind the idea they'd sandbag their prediction because of that.
This. When peoples lives are at stake they aren't going to play evac mind games.
This is true, which is why they aren't playing scare the crap out of you mind games. Houston would be a disaster on the highway system and cause more fatalities than if everyone hunkers down. They are evacuating the coast from Galveston to Beaumont.

There is a good chance this comes near or at Houston and that isn't being talked about with real possibilities. Even if they said Houston, and they were 100% correct, the nightmare and fatalities of getting on the road would be higher than staying in place.
TXTransplant
The Woodlands has a ton of tree-trimming contractors out today!
Premium
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Did you miss the first half of 2020 and the oil crash
Bockaneer
AG
HtownAg92 said:

We're all laid off!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
bigjag19
AG
Coog97 said:

bigjag19 said:

Coog97 said:

That's kinda where I'm leaning. Wife's job is sending her to their disaster recovery set-up inland, so I think I'm gonna top off the car, fill a couple of cans for the generator and swing by Spec's... ride it out with the pup.

STAY SAFE!

What time should I be over? I have food.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Seen several airboats on i10 headed East
TheVarian
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

God speed, God bless.

Prayers for safety, and a safe return home.
Breggy Popup
AG
TXTransplant said:

Don't want an Ike repeat!
Breggy Popup
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

I-10 is flooded already!?!?
Unemployed
AG
Bregxit said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

I-10 is flooded already!?!?
It's an airboat. It can float on air; hence, the name.
suburban cowboy
AG
I'm in chambers co and about to start boarding-up this afternoon.

Praying for minimal impact.
TXTransplant
Bregxit said:

TXTransplant said:

Don't want an Ike repeat!

Funny thing is, they are out trimming the small, more recently planted trees that are more decorative landscaping than anything. Hopefully, they will make their way to the bigger ones that actually pose a serious risk.
aftershock
Ragoo said:

I just hope I can get my Wednesday evening run in.

Run against the wind on the way out to get the legs burning, run with the wind a coast on the way back in
Trolley Problems
Have a generator for the refrigerator and deep freezer, and the wife is making a Total Wine run today. Need to fill up a couple of gas cans, but I think we're good beyond that. We'll see how this goes.
V8Aggie
AG
The important question is if there are any blue sheds in the path? Also is there a camera stream?
Anti-taxxer
AG
V8Aggie said:

The important question is if there are any blue sheds in the path? Also is there a camera stream?

Awwww the Blue Shed!

Memories!
Sazerac
AG
Where did I store that bear costume
Ag_07
AG

But seriously I think we're gonna stay put and then duck out if it looks like we'll be out of power after it passes.
Seabreeze
Seabrook here. Staying for now.
Premium
AG
When could we expect a more solid update on track?
Nitro Power
AG
Thursday at 4 AM
mm98
AG
Trolley Problems said:

Have a generator for the refrigerator and deep freezer, and the wife is making a Total Wine run today. Need to fill up a couple of gas cans, but I think we're good beyond that. We'll see how this goes.

Pretty much where I'm at.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.