***** WESTWORLD Season 2 (HBO) Official *****

261,078 Views | 2472 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
Post removed:
by user
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Because it implies there has never been any kind of critical update to the hosts in 10 years.
Joseph Parrish
AG
free_mhayden said:

Because it implies there has never been any kind of critical update to the hosts in 10 years.

Do you critically update something you suspect is working as intended?
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

free_mhayden said:

iOS?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Belton Ag
AG
free_mhayden said:

It was flat out stated that he wasn't updated in 10 years, but I'm not sure how it implies that all the hosts hadn't been updated in 10 years.
Belton Ag
AG
I wondered myself how Akecheta knew exactly where to go to find her. It seemed like he just walked directly into that cold storage place from where he was as if he had done it before and knew exactly where to go. For me, I just kind of figured that it was Ford's doing somehow rather than a plot hole. Maybe they shot some additional scenes explaining it that were cut.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Count me in the camp that absolutely loved that episode. One of my favorites so far.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Complete Idiot
I try not to overthink it too much, but if they only get updated when they die then I don't know why the ten years without death was so shocking given the variety of host characters in the park. Are you saying the kids, the priests, the sheriff's wife - all getting killed fairly regularly? Either humans are ruthlessly brutal or the park programmers intentionally write in loops that make sure everyone is killed, therefore updated, on a regular basis and missed the flower in the shadow in that process.
aTmAg
AG
The fact that Anthony Hopkins considered him a sort of "project" implies to me that he gets special treatment that other hosts don't get. It's not hard at all to explain all that away.
bobinator
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

ALL. THE. TIME.
bobinator
AG
aTmAg said:

The fact that Anthony Hopkins considered him a sort of "project" implies to me that he gets special treatment that other hosts don't get. It's not hard at all to explain all that away.

Except to me it changes everything that we just watched. Akecheta's journey of self-discovery, facing death, etc, etc don't seem as important when framed by Ford helping, watching, etc the whole time.
mhayden
Joseph Parrish said:

free_mhayden said:

Incredibly advanced hardware/software that is communicating with other updated hardware/software as well as wielding a weapon around human guests?

Yeah, I'd certainly hope that they would keep them constantly updated.

It's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things in relation to the story-telling, and I know it's a flashback... just seems like a aspect that was very much tacked on for storyline convenience... "Oh yeah, we also don't update them until they die".
mazag08
AG
bobinator said:

aTmAg said:

Except to me it changes everything that we just watched. Akecheta's journey of self-discovery, facing death, etc, etc don't seem as important when framed by Ford helping, watching, etc the whole time.

But this entire season was kicked off from Ford creating a new narrative. It's not out of the question that he ultimately had complete control at all times.. and maybe still does.
Joseph Parrish
AG
bobinator said:

Joseph Parrish said:

ALL. THE. TIME.
I disagree.
aTmAg
AG
bobinator said:

aTmAg said:

Why? Anthony was mostly watching. The only help Akecheta would need is to turn off his transponder (or whatever they call it in WW) so that the higher ups wouldn't notice him wondering everywhere and to help lead him to the basement. Other than that, he would have been caught and his escapade would have been over. He was still self-discovering.
aTmAg
AG
Also, they said it takes 4 hours to upgrade a host. So it would make sense that they do it when they die, since everybody dies quite often typically.
Complete Idiot
Any thoughts on the Valley Beyond, The Door as viewed by Akecheta? Still think there are human clone bodies stored there and that some or all hosts will transfer into them? Why is there a system in place for it to be flooded? Copied "blank minded" host bodies that were to be populated by humans?

Just watched the trailer for episode 9 - looks like some intense stuff coming up.
Malcolm52
AG
I love the series and look forward to watching each week. That being said, I think it is a bit cheap to write off every head scratching moment as "Well Ford had complete control"

aTmAg
AG
Malcolm52 said:

I love the series and look forward to watching each week. That being said, I think it is a bit cheap to write off every head scratching moment as "Well Ford had complete control"
Turning off a transponder and unlocking a few doors is not "complete control".
bobinator
AG
aTmAg said:

Also, they said it takes 4 hours to upgrade a host. So it would make sense that they do it when they die, since everybody dies quite often typically.
Yeah, upgrading them when they die isn't a bad plot device, it's a pretty obvious one, but the idea that they ONLY update them when they die is absurd.

Each of these things has the processing power of a supercomputer, they're going to need to be updated more than once a decade. Like Hayden said, it's not a huge deal, it's just a really dumb/lazy line.
Belton Ag
AG
bobinator said:

aTmAg said:

Yeah, upgrading them when they die isn't a bad plot device, it's a pretty obvious one, but the idea that they ONLY update them when they die is absurd.

Each of these things has the processing power of a supercomputer, they're going to need to be updated more than once a decade. Like Hayden said, it's not a huge deal, it's just a really dumb/lazy line.
I hadn't put much thought into it when they mentioned it on the show, but it seems that only updating them when they die makes the most sense. It's probably part of the process that happens when they get picked up by techs, hauled back to the lab and get cleaned off and repaired.
aTmAg
AG
bobinator said:

aTmAg said:

Except this particular one was "off the grid". If they didn't know that he was wondering all over the place, it makes sense that they wouldn't know he's in need of an update too.
bobinator
AG
No, it doesn't make sense. I don't really want to chase this rabbit all the way down the hole because it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, it was just a line that annoyed me because it's so unbelievable.

Our IT people lose their minds if a software patch isn't installed within like 72 hours of it being released. My five year old ipad mini barely works anymore because it can't use IOS11 and most new apps won't work on IOS10.

We're talking machines with insane processing power that communicate with each other, they would definitely know if one of the machines hasn't been updated in ten years.
aTmAg
AG
bobinator said:

No, it doesn't make sense. I don't really want to chase this rabbit all the way down the hole because it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, it was just a line that annoyed me because it's so unbelievable.

Our IT people lose their minds if a software patch isn't installed within like 72 hours of it being released. My five year old ipad mini barely works anymore because it can't use IOS11 and most new apps won't work on IOS10.

We're talking machines with insane processing power that communicate with each other, they would definitely know if one of the machines hasn't been updated in ten years.
IT people are dealing with security holes to avoid exploitation of outside hackers and Apple is pushing IOS11 to their customers. That is different than non-security related things that are completely operated and controlled internally by the company.

For example, my work PC that I'm on now always has the latest patches. But the computers that don't touch the outside world are WAY out of date. On those, we are using a 15 year old version of GCC, 12 year old version of Vim/emacs, and countless other examples. Hell the machine I use to upgrade my password on one of our internal networks looks like it is Windows NT 4.0. Multi-million dollar military aircraft are flying around all over the place that are running 20 year old software. I think the hosts in WW are more like that then IOS. Especially one that nobody knows exists. I gaurantee there is a PC around here somewhere that very few people know about that is running MS-DOS.
mhayden
aTmAg said:

bobinator said:

aTmAg said:

Except this particular one was "off the grid". If they didn't know that he was wondering all over the place, it makes sense that they wouldn't know he's in need of an update too.

But they didn't say the reason he wasn't updated was because he was "off the grid", they said it was because he hadn't died and they don't get updated unless they die.

But even if they had gone the "off the grid" route... Yeah, I get the whole show about sentient robots requires a suspension of disbelief, but inside the actual world of the story you expect things to be competent and make sense. Even if this robot is "off the grid" for 10 years. You telling me there's no analysis done on # of robots constructed vs # of robots showing up on the grid? Counter that he was maybe constructed in secret? Ok... But he's clearly seen interacting with guests and killing off other hosts that are inventoried and tracked -- so what comes up in analysis there?

I guess it's just the computer geek in me, but when I'm watching a show that has robots that must have required incredible amounts of programming, analysis, data recording, etc... for a world that was constructed to capture the data on all of the visitors and their interactions with the hosts... watching that and having explanations be "well we don't update them until they die so this guy hasn't been updated in 10 years" or "well that one was off the grid so no one knew about it" just don't jive with how every other aspect of Delos is run.
bobinator
AG
If none of them had been updated, that would be fine. But it's the idea that some of them are running new stuff and others are running old stuff which seems crazy. Especially because they interact with each other so much, they're even networked.

Anyway, not going to ruin my life. They had to create some sort of reason why he would be left alone in the mesa, and that's the best they could come up with, it's fine.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Times like these I'm glad Reddit exists. Let me know when this thread moves past the one line about updates in a great episode.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Time to ignore this thread for a little and hope we move onto something actually meaningful.
aTmAg
AG
free_mhayden said:

aTmAg said:

bobinator said:

aTmAg said:

But they didn't say the reason he wasn't updated was because he was "off the grid", they said it was because he hadn't died and they don't get updated unless they die.

But even if they had gone the "off the grid" route... Yeah, I get the whole show about sentient robots requires a suspension of disbelief, but inside the actual world of the story you expect things to be competent and make sense. Even if this robot is "off the grid" for 10 years. You telling me there's no analysis done on # of robots constructed vs # of robots showing up on the grid? Counter that he was maybe constructed in secret? Ok... But he's clearly seen interacting with guests and killing off other hosts that are inventoried and tracked -- so what comes up in analysis there?

I guess it's just the computer geek in me, but when I'm watching a show that has robots that must have required incredible amounts of programming, analysis, data recording, etc... for a world that was constructed to capture the data on all of the visitors and their interactions with the hosts... watching that and having explanations be "well we don't update them until they die so this guy hasn't been updated in 10 years" or "well that one was off the grid so no one knew about it" just don't jive with how every other aspect of Delos is run.
Anthony Hopkins said that he was taking a special interest in this one as an experiment of sorts. That leaves open all sorts of possibilities for this one unit that the others don't have. And when a guy is giving an excuse on why a unit wasn't upgraded, he's going to give the excuse that exonerates him. He's not going to say, "well I messed up and lost track of this one." He will use whatever excuse off the top of his head he can think of. That's what his excuse was. That doesn't mean it's 100% gospel.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For real. I did not expect people to get this hung up on such a tiny detail.
bobinator
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Times like these I'm glad Reddit exists. Let me know when this thread moves past the one line about updates in a great episode.
I'm willing to move on also, but the problem is that Westworld has basically invited all of this close scrutiny because of the way they're telling the story. If you're going to puzzlebox the whole show, and make the plot so confusing that a big part of the viewing experience is trying to piece it together using every single tiny clue, then the details matter.
bobinator
AG
Well another part of it is that for as much was in this episode, it didn't really advance the over-arcing plot much. It gave us some more background, but we didn't really learn a lot of new stuff that actually matters going forward right?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, we know Ghost Nation is rounding up hosts and heading to the door, not just killing everyone in sight.

Granted, this was already suspected, but at least it's confirmed they're not working for Elsie or anyone else.
aTmAg
AG
bobinator said:

If none of them had been updated, that would be fine. But it's the idea that some of them are running new stuff and others are running old stuff which seems crazy. Especially because they interact with each other so much, they're even networked.

Anyway, not going to ruin my life. They had to create some sort of reason why he would be left alone in the mesa, and that's the best they could come up with, it's fine.
Military aircraft talk to each other on networks too. Yet we we have this sort of software disparity all over the place. The F-35 is the most network heavy aircraft in existence, yet we will have block 2b aircraft talking to block 4 aircraft. That will easily be 10+ year disparity. Older aircraft have even larger disparities. It's more common than you think.
bobinator
AG
I will say that I've done another 180 on this and now I'm back in on William being a host.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.