***** WESTWORLD Season 2 (HBO) Official *****

256,061 Views | 2472 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

Donald Glover said:

I'm really interested to see the other parks and how the Westworld hosts act in them
So a kind of out there thing I've been wondering is if the Shogun World is going to have mythical creatures in it. I was thinking about whether a Shogun World sounds very interesting since the hosts obviously can't stab you. It's not quite like Westworld where it could be almost like a paintball thing that still hurts but doesn't kill you, I'm not sure how that would work with a sword.

But what if there's Dragons? One (among many) obvious counters to that is I can't imagine HBO having Dragons involved in two shows.

Anyway, I found myself down that thought path the other day when trying to think of what you would do as Delos for a second park if you were trying to scale up from Westworld.

In general, as this season progresses, I hope they explain the basic layout and park mechanics when it comes to the other parks. Is the headquarters we've been shown in season one JUST for the Westworld park? Or is the Westworld headquarters also the headquarters for the other parks as well?

In other words, does every park have their own separate headquarters and staff like the one we've been shown for Westworld, or was the Westworld headquarters first, and so it became the de facto headquarters for the other parks as they were built later?

The only confusion so far comes from the fact that we obviously saw some of the hosts for Shogun World in the same underground headquarters where all the hosts for Westworld were. So considering how massive Westworld is, do they ship the other hosts to the other parks all the way from the Westworld headquarters every time?

For whatever reasons, I'm so curious as to the layout of the parks, how it all works, how close they are to each other, etc.
TCTTS
AG
But yeah, to get to the heart of your post, that's a cool idea. If they can make fake horses and cows and bulls, surely they can make fake mythical creatures or dinosaurs or whatever. The possibilities are endless and I really hope further seasons get into that kind of stuff a bit.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agree 100%
bobinator
AG
I would like to know all of those things, but I don't expect to. Sort of like how I'd like to know the actual location of the park(s) relative to the rest of the world (or if they're even on Earth...)

But I mostly think all of that will be left intentionally unexplained.
bobinator
AG
*Flash to season 4*
*Characters are on the run, they escape into a new world to try and hide*
*Door opens into a jungle...*
Voice from above
"Welcome to Jurassic Park..."
hunter2012
AG
bobinator said:

I would like to know all of those things, but I don't expect to. Sort of like how I'd like to know the actual location of the park(s) relative to the rest of the world (or if they're even on Earth...)

But I mostly think all of that will be left intentionally unexplained.

relevant to your interests, based how intricate the show is, I'm inclined to believe this theory.

bobinator
AG
Man I really hate the people that do these videos, but yeah I've liked the underwater theory for a while. It does check a lot of the boxes.
Donald Glover
AG
bobinator said:

Donald Glover said:

I'm really interested to see the other parks and how the Westworld hosts act in them
So a kind of out there thing I've been wondering is if the Shogun World is going to have mythical creatures in it. I was thinking about whether a Shogun World sounds very interesting since the hosts obviously can't stab you. It's not quite like Westworld where it could be almost like a paintball thing that still hurts but doesn't kill you, I'm not sure how that would work with a sword.

But what if there's Dragons? One (among many) obvious counters to that is I can't imagine HBO having Dragons involved in two shows.

Anyway, I found myself down that thought path the other day when trying to think of what you would do as Delos for a second park if you were trying to scale up from Westworld.
Yeah I couldn't see them having dragons. Even though the host technology is far advanced, I don't know how AI dragons would work. The ShogunWorld thing is interesting, I didn't think about it that way. Maybe a host's sword can't cut you or penetrate your skin, but can still hurt in some way? I'm interested to find out if that present day/futuristic looking world that Delores is in is a FutureWorld park or the actual present day.

Another thing about the dragons is that I feel like Delos wants these worlds to be realistic to their time periods. Westworld is realistic in that it doesn't have any mythical creatures or beings, but things that were actually in the Wild West.

Also, I've been thinking about if Arnold manipulated the hosts in the other parks as well, and while Delores and company were finding their way to the center of the maze (consciousness), were the hosts in other parks doing the same?
TCTTS
AG
bobinator said:

Man I really hate the people that do these videos, but yeah I've liked the underwater theory for a while. It does check a lot of the boxes.

Agreed on both accounts. I cannot imagine meeting / having to talk to a human being like the narrator in real life, but the theory itself is solid.
Sapper Redux
Series finale, Delores and Bernard flee humanity to the shore, climb in a boat and set sail. They wake up after days at sea on a strange island. Where Locke is walking.
TCTTS
AG
I thought you were going to go all Truman Show with that and say their sail boat runs into the edge of the biosphere.
Dro07
AG
Exactly where I thought he was going
amercer
AG
I have to think that all the world are connected with the HQ building as the hub. We know it's built in a mountain and really huge.In the last episode, before they stumbled into the shogun world prep area they went over a Death Starish walkway and that seemed to be a couple hundred stories in the air.
bobinator
AG
AI dragons would work the same as the AI horses, cows, birds, etc. They'd just be a lot bigger. Or they could even make them smarter too. This is a world where the guns are smart enough to know if they're pointed at a human or at a host, so I think they could figure out a way to have a fire breathing dragon but the fire doesn't actually burn you or anything.

But this goes along with the other question. It seems obvious to me that WestWorld was the first park. They've shown in flashbacks the process of how it was started and that sort of thing. I think we can infer that Shogun World is a much newer park. Also, I think we can infer that Ford doesn't care as much about Shogun world since he's preoccupied trying to help the original hosts become conscious, so the board has much more control over Shogun World. So if you were trying to build a second park, you'd want to go bigger, bolder, give the people something new right? That's what let me down the mythical animal path.

One reason I've been on the underwater theory is that when the board was trying to smuggle data out of the park their only two options have been to try and beam it out and to try and smuggle it out on the train. If it was an open air park, flying it out would be WAY easier.
amercer
AG
Unless it's on Mars
Fenrir
bobinator said:

AI dragons would work the same as the AI horses, cows, birds, etc. They'd just be a lot bigger. Or they could even make them smarter too. This is a world where the guns are smart enough to know if they're pointed at a human or at a host, so I think they could figure out a way to have a fire breathing dragon but the fire doesn't actually burn you or anything.

But this goes along with the other question. It seems obvious to me that WestWorld was the first park. They've shown in flashbacks the process of how it was started and that sort of thing. I think we can infer that Shogun World is a much newer park. Also, I think we can infer that Ford doesn't care as much about Shogun world since he's preoccupied trying to help the original hosts become conscious, so the board has much more control over Shogun World. So if you were trying to build a second park, you'd want to go bigger, bolder, give the people something new right? That's what let me down the mythical animal path.

One reason I've been on the underwater theory is that when the board was trying to smuggle data out of the park their only two options have been to try and beam it out and to try and smuggle it out on the train. If it was an open air park, flying it out would be WAY easier.
I hope they don't do dragons honestly. It wouldn't be as cool if they didn't fly and I just have a hard time wrapping my head around how they have them fly as seemingly grounded this show seems to be to me.

Definitely agree that Shogun World is a much newer park. They had success with the original and then branched out. I'm glad it's samurai era Japan given how much samurai movies and western movies have borrowed from each other.

Edit: Has anybody gone to the Westworld page and chatted with Aeden?
bobinator
AG
I don't really think it's something they would do, it's just something that I was thinking about when I was trying to think of wild things they could do. I could see them doing dinosaurs though. Like, who wouldn't go visit a park with seemingly alive dinosaurs that can't kill you? If you had the technology to build that, it would be an obvious choice.

I also don't think any of the other parks are really going to play that big of a role in the story so whatever we see from them will mostly just be glimpses. I think the showrunners have even said as much and that it's called "Westworld" for a reason.
bobinator
AG
amercer said:

Unless it's on Mars
It being on Mars presents a few problems. For one, it's definitely Earth's moon that we've seen a few times, so even if it's on Mars, it would have to be in some kind of dome. But also Mars has far less gravity than Earth, so the entire park would have to have some sort of simulated earth gravity for anything to work right.

But the thing I keep coming back to is Maeve's directive to infiltrate the "mainland." That would be bizarre wording if the park is on a different planet or something.

Of course anything is "possible" because the show has been intentionally vague.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bobinator said:

amercer said:

Unless it's on Mars
It being on Mars presents a few problems. For one, it's definitely Earth's moon that we've seen a few times, so even if it's on Mars, it would have to be in some kind of dome. But also Mars has far less gravity than Earth, so the entire park would have to have some sort of simulated earth gravity for anything to work right.

But the thing I keep coming back to is Maeve's directive to infiltrate the "mainland." That would be bizarre wording if the park is on a different planet or something.

Anything Maeve said could simply be her programming - they could be anywhere but have them programmed to believe it is just a mainland/island situation or whatever.

bobinator
AG
She didn't say it, it was on the screen she was looking at when Bernard was showing her that someone had changed her programming.

Fenrir
Zombie Jon Snow said:

bobinator said:

amercer said:

Unless it's on Mars

Anything Maeve said could simply be her programming - they could be anywhere but have them programmed to believe it is just a mainland/island situation or whatever.

Her escaping was part of her programming from what I recall so the "mainland" phrase from her may not be relevant (never mind...just saw bob's post ahead of mine). When she became aware and made her own choices was when she decided to turn around and go back for her robot daughter.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

It still could just be her programming - i mean thats literally her program and mainland could mean anything.

bobinator
AG
It could, like I said basically anything is possible because the show wants it that way, but it being underwater out in the middle of the ocean is a much simpler explanation.
MW03
AG
Crichton usually puts his parks on remote islands, no?
tk for tu juan
The Sphere meets Jurassic Park
bobinator
AG
tk for tu juan said:

The Sphere meets Jurassic Park
A Sphere-themed park where it creates whatever you think of would be terrifying.
amercer
AG
/revision/latest?cb=20110211224719
bobinator
AG
You arrive at the park, they put you in front a screen that flashes questions at you.

"What are you most afraid of, what's your favorite food, what's the most terrifying animal, what's your ultimate fantasy, etc..."

Over the next several days it then creates all of those things so your experience is equal parts awesome and terrifying.
TCTTS
AG
Really great, informative interview with showrunners Nolan and Joy (who are married, btw)...

bobinator
AG
One thing they talk around that I've thought about is the dynamic of how this uprising is going to play out. The hosts in the park have absolutely no idea of what's technologically possible. For all intents and purposes, they're fighting an advanced alien race that designed the world itself.

It's almost like the Hunger Games, the actual environment itself could potentially be made to work against them.
amercer
AG
I'm going to guess that something that will come up in this season (and be to the hosts advantage) is that powerful interests (board, army, someone) has no intention of 1) letting it be known that the place is out of control, or 2) burning the place down completely.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that's the impression I get from that interview.
Fenrir
amercer said:

I'm going to guess that something that will come up in this season (and be to the hosts advantage) is that powerful interests (board, army, someone) has no intention of 1) letting it be known that the place is out of control, or 2) burning the place down completely.
If you go to the westworld website you can "chat" with a host who acts like everything is normal at first.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I mean obviously some sort of plot device has to happen so that "blow them all up" isn't immediately the plan, because that would obviously be the plan.

I just think that part of the plot will be fascinating as the hosts truly learn about the world they live in and what's outside of it. They only very barely understand it now.

Breggy Popup
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah, I mean obviously some sort of plot device has to happen so that "blow them all up" isn't immediately the plan, because that would obviously be the plan.

I just think that part of the plot will be fascinating as the hosts truly learn about the world they live in and what's outside of it. They only very barely understand it now.

Seems like if WW was in an underwater dome then "blow them all up" would be easy to accomplish by breaching the dome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.