***** WESTWORLD Season 2 (HBO) Official *****

256,055 Views | 2472 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I haven't quite figured her out yet. I think maybe she's not in the loop. She definitely acts differently around Bernard than the others.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Are we sure that's really Bernard in the current timeline and not someone else's consciousness in Bernarnold's body??
3rdGen2015
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Are we sure that's really Bernard in the current timeline and not someone else's consciousness in Bernarnold's body??

I see somebody has been on r/Westworld
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

I see somebody has been on r/Westworld

No but I listen to some of the ringer podcasts which I think is where they get some of their theories from. Truth be told, I thought something was off with him from the very beginning and had the idea of their transplanting of consciousness, just hadn't really connected the two until I heard that theory.
TCTTS
AG
B = T
SWCBonfire
AG
Like Arnold's conciousness uploaded prior to his death?

Maybe.
AG
I like the B=T theory. Makes some sense and has some decent but not great evidence so far. I also don't put it past Nolan and Joy to totally try and **** with the reddit crowd and get them chasing false hair brained theories either
bobinator
AG
If we're talking transferring host consciousness into other host bodies, wouldn't it make more sense if Delores were in Bernard's body. I could see her trying to get into the body of a host that the humans trust being a part of her plan, especially because she's already a bit disconnected from the idea that it's even "her" body.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bernard = Teddy, is the theory?
bobinator
AG
Yeah, that's the theory.

I think we can all agree that something is off with Bernard in the most-future timeline (I hate calling anything on this show the present, but it's the most-present?)

I was kind of going with a theory that I thought the humans brought him back on purpose, but I could see a lot of things being the case. Another part of the puzzle is how exactly Stubbs fits into what's going on since the last we saw of him he was being snatched up by indians right?
AG
bobinator said:

If we're talking transferring host consciousness into other host bodies, wouldn't it make more sense if Delores were in Bernard's body. I could see her trying to get into the body of a host that the humans trust being a part of her plan, especially because she's already a bit disconnected from the idea that it's even "her" body.
I think this is the direction i was personally going until i heard the B=T theory. Made more sense to me from a "motive" standpoint.

Quote:

Bernard = Teddy, is the theory?
https://www.theringer.com/2018/5/2/17312684/westworld-bernard-teddy-theory-podcast

If you dont want to click on the link the basic gist is:

Current Bernard doesnt have the scar from when he shot himself
Current Bernard is wearing same/similar clothes to Teddy (which are different from the clothes he was wearing with Charlotte)
There are screen caps from the "rickrolling" video that show Bernard on the train ala Teddy in Season 1
Scenes from future episodes of Dolores touching Bernard's face like she does Teddy
THe comment from season 1 saying that "Wyatt" makes his soldiers "wear the flesh and bones of his enemies"

There are a few more pieces of "evidence" but that is the overall thought. I havent 100% bought in. More than anything i just like all the theories that come from this show. Hearkens me back to Lost.
Teddy Perkins
AG
I think it's a red hearing. Bernard is off because he took a bullet to the dome that wasn't repaired all the way, That's why he is leaking fluid.

bobinator
AG
I don't so much think present-Bernard is off himself, I think the way the people around him are acting is off.

I haven't quite fully formulated a theory but some of the pieces involved are that I think Stubbs, Bernard and Elsie are all involved in something together in the "present timeline" and I think by that timeline several people are aware that Bernard is a host.
DannyDuberstein
AG
"Dolores chokes a bloke in robot yogurt" might be my favorite part of the S2E2 recap
bobinator
AG
Another thing I think everyone is circling is a general consensus that we're going to see some consciousness transfers this season. Probably both human to robot and robot to robot.

Everyone's in agreement there also right?
Teddy Perkins
AG
Ok, the more I've read on B=T, the more I'm coming around. But the thing with the lack of scar on the beach tells me that Delores put Teddy into one of the Bernard clones, not the Bernard that was on the run with Charlotte in S1E1.
bobinator
AG
Weirdly, the most convincing thing to me about B=T is the trolling video.
emtes
AG
bobinator said:

Another thing I think everyone is circling is a general consensus that we're going to see some consciousness transfers this season. Probably both human to robot and robot to robot.

Everyone's in agreement there also right?
Yeah I think so. I have also thought that Ford was certainly still involved somehow, like his consciousness was still held in some of the hosts and being transported via mesh network?
amercer
AG
I think the purpose of giving the hosts a removable brain is clearly to allow body switching. It doesn't really mesh with the physiology of season one (why lobotomize when you can just pull the hard drive out) , but whatever.

I'd have to think that human consciousness transfer to a host is in the works, but I don't think the show has tipped its hand on that one yet.
bobinator
AG
So far we only know that the "removable brain" is for data storage right? The personalities and other traits of the hosts could be built into the bodies some other way.

I agree that if that removable brain contains everything about a host, then it sort of undercuts some of what they did in season one like you mentioned.
AG
amercer said:

I think the purpose of giving the hosts a removable brain is clearly to allow body switching. It doesn't really mesh with the physiology of season one (why lobotomize when you can just pull the hard drive out) , but whatever.

I'd have to think that human consciousness transfer to a host is in the works, but I don't think the show has tipped its hand on that one yet.
My crackpot theory is that is why the big deal for trying to smuggle Abernathy out of the park. it has something to do with this and/or Jim Delos (i'll even go so far as to hypothesize that Delos' consciousness is in Abernathy and its his son pulling the strings behind the scenes)
TCTTS
AG
Jim Delos' story definitely isn't over, as evidence of that shot in the Alt Shift X video (a shot I hadn't seen previously). And there's a reason he's sick / about to die, other than for the filmmakers to get him off the board and get the company in the hands of William. They could have handled that a dozen other ways. So, yeah, I fully buy the idea that his consciences or an attempt to eradicate his disease somehow via host tech will definitely come into play.
bobinator
AG
I hope we don't completely cross a bridge into something where not only could anybody be a host, but anybody's mind could be inside anyone else's body. I'm hoping it's significantly more limited than that.
amercer
AG
bobinator said:

I hope we don't completely cross a bridge into something where not only could anybody be a host, but anybody's mind could be inside anyone else's body. I'm hoping it's significantly more limited than that.

I enjoyed Altered Carbon, but the ability for anyone to be anyone made it kind of a hot mess.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, they need to be very careful if they decided to go there. Could unravel in a hurry.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I will say though that at least Altered Carbon didn't have duplicates of the same consciousness. Well, they did, but they made it clear that it came with consequences and was very against the rules.

Hopefully as we cross this bridge Westworld establishes some sort of similar rules. We don't need Delores going Agent Smith.

I'm assuming they're going to handle it well though, no reason yet to suspect they won't given how good this show has been.
plowboy1065
S
TCTTS said:

Jim Delos' story definitely isn't over, as evidence of that shot in the Alt Shift X video (a shot I hadn't seen previously). And there's a reason he's sick / about to die, other than for the filmmakers to get him off the board and get the company in the hands of William. They could have handled that a dozen other ways. So, yeah, I fully buy the idea that his consciences or an attempt to eradicate his disease somehow via host tech will definitely come into play.
Hello Peter Abernathy
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Heard a theory that Charlotte / Delos folks know that Bernard is a host, but are leading him on this goose chase as a way to "unlock his memories" for whatever reason, similar to what happened to Dolores all of last season.

The stinger is that those featureless "drones" that were walking around in that lab with Charlotte and Bernard, were actually copies of Bernard, but because of his programming, he sees white drones instead of copies of himself. (Like the door he couldn't see in S1.)
amercer
AG
That's so messed up that it seems likely
3rdGen2015
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Heard a theory that Charlotte / Delos folks know that Bernard is a host, but are leading him on this goose chase as a way to "unlock his memories" for whatever reason, similar to what happened to Dolores all of last season.

The stinger is that those featureless "drones" that were walking around in that lab with Charlotte and Bernard, were actually copies of Bernard, but because of his programming, he sees white drones instead of copies of himself. (Like the door he couldn't see in S1.)
I'm not sure how I feel about the B = T theory yet, but I can get behind this one
bobinator
AG
Yeah, like I said yesterday, I'm all in that they know what's up with Bernard, certainly the most-current ones. I'm less certain about Charlotte but still think it's possible. They're trying to use him to reveal something because they know, but they don't think he knows they know. Though the B=T(or someone else) theory could actually work with this one, because they think they've rebooted a Bernard only for it to be someone else entirely.

I'm not buying it with the faceless drones though because Charlotte explained what they are out-loud. They did some minor un-reliable narrator stuff in season 1, but only visually, only very briefly, and only when the camera was from the perspective of the host.

If they start doing misdirections that big then we're not going to be able to trust anything we see on screen and then what's even the point.
jamaggie06
AG
Don't get me wrong, I love the show, and perhaps I missed it, but, if the techs can use the ipads to bring hosts back online after dying, can't they also just shut them down? If it goes back to what Ford did changing the code, wouldn't the best allocation of resources be spent figuring out a hack?
TCTTS
AG
I've wondered the same thing. My guess is that for Delores and Maeve, at least, their awakening/consciousness has somehow made them immune to commands/shutdown altogether. And then perhaps Maeve has hacked the network and somehow made the system/hosts immune to commands? Then again, in the first episode of this season, Maeve didn't seem to know who or what was wreaking most of the havoc on the park. Otherwise, my guess is that Ford embedded some kind of command before he died that keeps the network/hosts from being able to be shut down.
claym711
AG
Would be quite interesting if Delos is Abernathy, Delores' father who William has been...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.