***** WESTWORLD Season 2 (HBO) Official *****

256,039 Views | 2472 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

anyone recognize that Major Craddock..... the villain/gunfighter Boon from the last season of Justified.

I didn't place him last week but he was more prominent this week.

Yep, recognized him when we first saw him. What's interesting is that his character here and in Justified both give off the same weird vibe which I can't really describe.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

anyone recognize that Major Craddock..... the villain/gunfighter Boon from the last season of Justified.

I didn't place him last week but he was more prominent this week.

Yep, recognized him when we first saw him. What's interesting is that his character here and in Justified both give off the same weird vibe which I can't really describe.

we used to call it "something ain't right with that boy"...... he's twitchy.

Breggy Popup
AG
bobinator said:

free_mhayden said:

And I'm guessing it was discussed earlier in the thread but are we of the conclusion now that Delos is/was working on some kind of human/host hybrid for some form of eternal existence?
Yeah, this seems like it's going to be the major plot device of this season. Delos is trying to develop it in the past, maybe already has in the present, Delores is going to potentially trying to use it, etc.

I don't think it's an accident that Delos and Delores are similar names.

What if the Ghost Nation hosts are the prototypes for the human/host hybrids? "Ghosts".
Silky Johnston
Not sure if this has been answered, but I don't understand how the bullets work in this show. Last night they showed a human getting shot and it only stung him. Fast forward a few minutes and a host shoots a human and it blows right through his shoulder.

I thought all bullets were the same, but they could recognize human from host and not kill a human. Why are the bullets now able to kill people after the hosts go crazy?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Good *****

Also, 666 posts. Spooky. Sorry to be the one to break it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://streamable.com/5btgw
Breggy Popup
AG
Silky Johnston said:

Not sure if this has been answered, but I don't understand how the bullets work in this show. Last night they showed a human getting shot and it only stung him. Fast forward a few minutes and a host shoots a human and it blows right through his shoulder.

I thought all bullets were the same, but they could recognize human from host and not kill a human. Why are the bullets now able to kill people after the hosts go crazy?

QA: "Simunitions are offline."

They're smart bullets and the smart part is turned off. Similar to the network being down being why they are having to manually pull CPUs to view host histories.
bobinator
AG
Eh, why would they be?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The guns are smart enough to know what they are being aimed at and can adjust the velocity of the round accordingly. Ford reprogrammed the guns to having the same speed for everyone.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's basically Jurassic Westworld at this point.

Which makes sense since it's Crichton.

Hopefully Samuel L. Jackson is hiding underground somewhere ready to restart the park.
mhayden
amercer said:

So how long until the **** really hits the fan for Bernard? We saw the back of the neck scanner thingy that can tell hosts from humans last night...

Bernard already fooled the door scanner.
AgEng06
AG
amercer
AG
free_mhayden said:

amercer said:

So how long until the **** really hits the fan for Bernard? We saw the back of the neck scanner thingy that can tell hosts from humans last night...

Bernard already fooled the door scanner.

I'm still not completely sure what the purpose of the door scanner was. The hosts are biological, so they all have dna (I assume), so I figured the door scanner wasn't to keep hosts out per se, but to scan for employees who were authorized to come in. Bernard is a high level employee afterall.

Actually, for all we know he's been there lots of times before and was working on the secret project.
bobinator
AG

The scene where she shoots the guy has to be before Ford 'flipped the switch' on turning the simunitions offline. The next day (several days later? It's not clear) when they go out for the Tiger Hunt, the switch has been flipped.

So when exactly her events are taking place is a little bit unclear. It appears the Ghost Nation finds her after the the revolution starts, but before the Delos 'tactical' team is doing their thing two weeks later. So what she's doing in the 'present' is unknown.

There's a chance that the pieces are coming together for a faction of humans to be working together against Delos. Maybe Elsie used the ghost nation to find Stubbs, then they find Grace and they come up with some sort of plan so Stubbs goes back to join the tac team and be their 'insider'?

Somehow Stubbs randomly showing back up and being like "Hey I know I've been gone a while but I'm totally back now, it's cool, gun please!" has to make sense.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok, so I can buy into the explanation of the bullets.

Now I'm really curious to know how the hell people stay safe from Samurai blades in Shogunworld.
bobinator
AG
Hosts having DNA problems aside, the DNA reader seemed to just be so that the drone hosts don't read them as an intruder. Charlotte still had to scan in/type in (can't remember which) to get them through the door.

Similar to a visitor badge, the system reads your DNA and knows who you came in with, thus the drone hosts don't bother you. If you were trespassing or un-accompanied maybe they'd kill you/throw you out/whatever.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I brought this up a while back as being a potential problem with Samurai World. Being in a gun fight even though the bullets can't kill me (but still definitely hurt) would still be fun, but how much fun could fighting a samurai that can't stab me be?
DannyDuberstein
AG
more fun than being stabbed by a samurai?
bobinator
AG
But who wants to sword fight someone that can't really fight them back? It would be fun like, what? Once?

Best thing I've come up with is that maybe the sword-bearing hosts don't go for a stab or cut as much as they just try to hit you with the sword .
HeardAboutPerio
AG
If Maeve and Delores are truly awoken / aware, why do they still follow their basic subroutines: Maeve for her daughter and Delores caring for her father? That's purposefully written into the plot IMHO as they would easily dismiss those roles as "the words in my head" as opposed to the genuine display of emotion. I find that a curious undercurrent in the face of what seems to be a shedding of their programming for true consciousness. Now I'm not so sure they aren't following another subroutine via the appearance of consciousness.
DannyDuberstein
AG
At the risk of offering up a meatheaded, chauvinist opinion, Dolores prancing around in her little house on the prairie dress acting all badassy all the time is starting to wear on me a bit.
bobinator
AG
I think it shows that they are "free" but like humans, they have emotions they can't ignore. What exactly defines humanity is a central theme of this show. (The "if you can't tell the difference, does it matter" line.)

Maeve and Dolores are 'free' in one sense in that nobody is directly controlling them, but they're only as 'free' as any human is. We're controlled by our own (at times illogical) emotions. Maeve knows that her daughter isn't 'real' but the emotion she feels for her is, same with Dolores and her father.

I think the whole point is to show that by 'waking up' they didn't simply become cold calculating machines, they truly have a human-like consciousness.
amercer
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

At the risk of offering up a meatheaded, chauvinist opinion, Dolores prancing around in her little house on the prairie dress acting all badassy all the time is starting to wear on me a bit.

I don't know, I think the dead eyes/lack of expression thing she slips into when Wyatt is in charge is pretty convincing.
bobinator
AG
What would you prefer she wear?
amercer
AG
Delores is on her way to T-1000 level though
DannyDuberstein
AG
bobinator said:

It's not really what she's wearing. I just think the badass factor is getting to be a bit overdone.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bobinator said:

A smile.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What bugs me for some reason is the missing bullets on the front of that bullet thing she wears.
mhayden
bobinator said:

Hosts having DNA problems aside, the DNA reader seemed to just be so that the drone hosts don't read them as an intruder. Charlotte still had to scan in/type in (can't remember which) to get them through the door.

Similar to a visitor badge, the system reads your DNA and knows who you came in with, thus the drone hosts don't bother you. If you were trespassing or un-accompanied maybe they'd kill you/throw you out/whatever.

The point I'm making is Bernard obviously has the required DNA to pass a hand scan on the door - no reason to believe that he couldn't also pass some kind of neck security scan.

The scene was meant to show us that Bernard has some kind of different makeup -- with more human features.
bobinator
AG
amercer said:

Delores is on her way to T-1000 level though
I think that was the point of that whole bit was to show that even though she's basically a genocidal maniac, she does still have human-like emotional ties to certain characters like Teddy and her father.

She's a bit Cersei Lannister-esque in that she sees EVERYONE as her enemy, and the more untethered from the few people she doesn't think are enemies she becomes, the more she cares even less about who she hurts on the way to achieving her goal.
bobinator
AG
True, plus Ford built Bernard himself, I think it's safe to assume that he's going to pass most of the usual tests.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have to admit, the way the switch flipped so quickly on Dolores does bother me a bit. She instantly goes to wanting to "dominate the world" in literally no time flat.

I understand she has the Wyatt programming inside her, but her going full Skynet mode so quickly was a bit abrupt for me.
mhayden
I found it a bit abrupt, but when you consider the "switch" that flipped was essentially her finally remembering/learning, then how far off the deep end she goes really just comes down to what all she has seen and experienced in her "lifetime".

From the flashbacks to her time in the real world, I'm guessing we'll see her eventually experience some big event that causes her to have the complete disdain/drive-for-domination that we are seeing in present time (not all that unlike a human) -- and that memory/experience was part of what was awakened when she solved the maze.
bobinator
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I have to admit, the way the switch flipped so quickly on Dolores does bother me a bit. She instantly goes to wanting to "dominate the world" in literally no time flat.

I understand she has the Wyatt programming inside her, but her going full Skynet mode so quickly was a bit abrupt for me.
I sort of agree, but also, she suddenly can remember everything she's ever seen or that's happened to her. How many times she's been 'raped', killed, etc. She also knows William is in the park, and she can remember everything about him now also. Remembering him from who he was, to what he's done (which we still don't know everything) to who he is now transformed her character.

This was someone she thought she loved, and then she sees who he's become and it kind of disillusioned her. It's worth noting that as far as we know Dolores hasn't had any meaningful interaction with any 'good' humans right? She doesn't really have any reason to think that there is any good in anyone.

I agree that it's jarring though.

Specifically, in this episode, her willingness to get a bunch of other hosts killed and not care about it. She sees all of the other hosts as expendable also, which is pretty concerning.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What bugs me for some reason is the missing bullets on the front of that bullet thing she wears.

The reloading thing has always bugged me about this show. It seems like they do have to reload the guns, but it seems like these also aren't your standard 6 shooters. It just seems inconsistent sometimes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.