***** WESTWORLD Season 2 (HBO) Official *****

256,031 Views | 2472 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I actually think the opposite. I think her goal would be to destroy the human backups that she knows exist for the same reason.
TCTTS
AG
Complete Idiot
Just watching random old scenes for clues, I'm in a wormhole

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not bad.
bobinator
AG
So I have some questions here, I assumed that the reflection from the last episode was done digitally. Anthony Hopkins is actually back?

If so, that means that Nolan and Joy have just flat out lied about Hopkins' involvement, which I don't particularly care for.
dave94
AG
Can we talk about how insanely hot the Japanese mercenary chick is?
TX_AG_10
AG
Looking at the pictures from the tweet TCTTS posted, I think he's actually back.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Not sure if this will make a difference later on but the sphere that came out of Bernard's head in the Cradle was black and the sphere Bernard pocketed at the James Delos outpost was red.
bobinator
AG
Yeah that's what I'm saying. I had assumed that was digitally done, and that any Ford involvement would be very minor. However, that appears to not be the case.

So, if the showrunners were flat out lying about that, then basically everything is back up for grabs because one thing I was sort of relying on is that they wouldn't flat out lie to us about the show.

That's the main reason I've been on the "Dolores is definitely actually conscious" bandwagon despite growing evidence to the contrary is because they've said that's true.
JJxvi
AG
Its a better show with Anthony Hopkins. Its difficult to expect Ed Harris to carry the whole thing on his own.
Complete Idiot
bobinator said:

So I have some questions here, I assumed that the reflection from the last episode was done digitally. Anthony Hopkins is actually back?

If so, that means that Nolan and Joy have just flat out lied about Hopkins' involvement, which I don't particularly care for.
I mentioned it earlier but wikipedia shows him as being in 13 Westworld episodes - not sure when that would have been updated.

Just looked and IMDB says 14 episodes. I also thought his appearance in latest episode was just computer generated.
Complete Idiot
bobinator said:

Yeah that's what I'm saying. I had assumed that was digitally done, and that any Ford involvement would be very minor. However, that appears to not be the case.

So, if the showrunners were flat out lying about that, then basically everything is back up for grabs because one thing I was sort of relying on is that they wouldn't flat out lie to us about the show.

That's the main reason I've been on the "Dolores is definitely actually conscious" bandwagon despite growing evidence to the contrary is because they've said that's true.
I'm finding articles from 2017 where Nolan left it wide open - neither stated he would or wouldn't return but hinting that he probably would.
Leggo My Elko
AG
JJxvi said:

Its a better show with Anthony Hopkins. Its difficult to expect Ed Harris to carry the whole thing on his own.
bobinator
AG
They said several times things along the lines of "We were very lucky to have one amazing season with Anthony Hopkins. We loved working with him." (EW)

They definitely left open the possibility that Ford would return in some way, in fact I figured that was more or less a given, but that seems to close the door on Hopkins himself coming back. I guess we can parse out if that's actually lying, but it certainly seems like it to me.

It's not the end of the world, after all I agree he makes this show better, but it's kind of annoying I think.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why would you take anything the creators say at face value? Of course they are going to hide things. And I would hope that they do.
SWCBonfire
AG
They're going to have to give Jeffrey Wright a lot better story and lines where he's not babbling or rambling incessantly for him to pick up that kind of slack.
bobinator
AG
That's what I'm getting at though, there's plenty of room to just not say anything or to be coy with your answers rather than actually lying.

If for no other reason than the fact that it calls everything about the show into question. If even the things the showrunners say as fact can't be trusted, then how do we know anything?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
We don't. That's the point of watching the show, is it not?
Joseph Parrish
AG

Believe what happens in the actual show instead.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SWCBonfire said:

They're going to have to give Jeffrey Wright a lot better story and lines where he's not babbling or rambling incessantly for him to pick up that kind of slack.
How about

bobinator
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

We don't. That's the point of watching the show, is it not?
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm fine with big mysteries in the show, even if they're ultimately unanswered. But if the people in charge of the show are going to answer a mystery publicly, I'd like that answer to be the truth.
TCTTS
AG
Normally I would agree, but for something like this, I'm completely fine with Nolan/Joy not outright saying, "Yeah, guess what, even though Hopkins died last season, he's back this season in a surprise appearance!"
bobinator
AG
Eh, it just annoys me a little bit, I'd rather them not have said anything at all or said something coy like simply "never say never..." or whatever the typical BS.

Anyway, not the end of the world. However, as a result I got down a rabbit hole of trying to find a quote I thought I remembered where they talk about Dolores being conscious but I couldn't find it so now I'm completely convinced that she isn't.
Belton Ag
AG
Makes me wonder if they shot all of Hopkins scenes for this season when they shot everything for season 1. Maybe that's how they get around "lying" about his involvement.
bobinator
AG
Belton Ag said:

Makes me wonder if they shot all of Hopkins scenes for this season when they shot everything for season 1. Maybe that's how they get around "lying" about his involvement.
I mean technically the quote Nolan did give isn't a lie. They didn't explicitly say that he wasn't going to come back in the second season, they just very heavily implied it.
JJxvi
AG
Belton Ag said:

Heh, Hopkins tweeted this on April 24.

jabberwalkie09
AG
bobinator said:

Belton Ag said:

I mean technically the quote Nolan did give isn't a lie. They didn't explicitly say that he wasn't going to come back in the second season, they just very heavily implied it.

FWIW, Nolan gave similar information/interviews when Person of Interest was stilling running. It's one reason why I don't put a lot of stock in truth for Nolan's interviews.
TCTTS
AG
Belton Ag said:

They likely couldn't have done this for contract reasons, assuming it was a traditional contract for a single season, seeing as when season one was filming they didn't even know they were being picked up for a second season yet. There are also the contracts of the writers to consider, which means S2 scenes/dialogue couldn't have been written yet, and even if the contracts were somehow complete that far in advance, season two scripts weren't even close to being conceived when they were filming season one. In other words, it would have been insanely complicated to pull off. Instead, they likely signed Hopkins to three or four limited appearances this season via a new contract, had him come in for a few days, and knocked out all his scenes as close together as they could.
Complete Idiot
Nolan quote from an April 23rd article: "When available Anthony Hopkins graciously lent his vocal performance for our flashbacks."

I can't find anything from end of 2016, or 2017, where they said he wouldn't return. Said things like "never assume anything", "we don't know where the storyline will go", etc. Have to balance between spoilers and denying it - which they seemed to.
bobinator
AG
I posted the quote where he said "we were very lucky to have one amazing season with Anthony Hopkins..."

Which again, doesn't technically say he's not coming back, but heavily implies it.

Anyway, it's not like I'm going to stop watching the show, it's just something I think is kind of annoying when people do it.
Complete Idiot
bobinator said:

I posted the quote where he said "we were very lucky to have one amazing season with Anthony Hopkins..."

Which again, doesn't technically say he's not coming back, but heavily implies it.

Anyway, it's not like I'm going to stop watching the show, it's just something I think is kind of annoying when people do it.
Not worth arguing really but this was the complete quote:

We were very lucky to have one amazing season with Anthony Hopkins. We loved working with him. As for the show, where it goes, the characters we've well established we're playing in a more advanced ruleset in terms of death and resurrection than other [projects] I've worked on. So I would say: Assume nothing. I think with this show we like surprising people. And we like playing with them. We've established the show can track forward and backward in time. As we've established, the hosts can't distinguish their memories and realities. There is always an opportunity to revisit some of these characters.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that excerpt is all but saying, "ANTHONY HOPKINS WILL BE BACK."
Joseph Parrish
AG
Well I loved the twist at the end of the last episode, I don't think it's 'annoying' at all.
bobinator
AG
I interpreted it as "that character is definitely coming back in some way, but we won't have Anthony Hopkins..." Anyway, obviously I'm in the minority here on not caring for how that was handled.

Getting back to what it means to the actual show, I've been saying that, by far, the simplest explanation for who the "red ball" is was Ford, so it definitely makes narrative sense.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.