***** WESTWORLD Season 2 (HBO) Official *****

261,083 Views | 2472 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where's the alt shift x
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Right after I posted.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
That's amazing.
WaltonAg18
AG
The hype for this episode is too real.
No one should have to work to survive. Your right to life should not depend solely on your ability to produce capital.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!

5 more minutes!! So hyped for this episode.
Complete Idiot
Jimbo Fisher hasn't even started speaking yet, should have skipped this
mazzag
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Jimbo Fisher hasn't even started speaking yet, should have skipped this

User name checks out...nothing trumps Jimbo except GOT.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fantastic.
mazzag
Mozart Paintings
AG
My favorite episode of the season.
TXAG14
One of the better episodes of the series in my opinion.
zgood10
Buck O Five
AG
Another layer of depth added seamlessly in a single episode, introducing a parallel route to host consciousness. The metaphor of a flower growing in the dark was excellent.
mazzag
AG
It was Nirvana in the piano that sucked us all in.
Thunder18
AG
Awesome episode
oragator
As I was watching it, at first it felt heavy handed... the metaphors for our history with various groups, With a story that again was almost completely off the main plot lines and seemingly going nowhere, but as it all tied together, it suddenly was amazing television. Not just one of the best episodes of this series, but one of the best I have seen in the last few years. It just had so much going on from the cinematography, to the symbolism and metaphors, to the view of the uprising through a long lens (and the host's at that). And finally the awesome semi twist at the end the end that brought it all back to the most underserved plot line of the year in a remarkable way.
And total props to the dude who played Akecheta. He was able to completely humanize that character in such a short time.
YellowPot_97
AG
That felt way too short. So good I wanted more!

And was that the first time they've actually shown boobs this season?
TCTTS
AG
That... was actually one of my least favorite episodes of the series. But it seems I'm likely going to be alone in that sentiment.

First and foremost, I really disliked the voice over. It felt lazy and took away from the tension, IMO. I wanted something more visceral and in-the-moment, but I understand that's on me. I guess I was just bored by the passiveness of it all.

It also felt like there was a lot of hand waving. Akecheta waking up in the repair lab, walking all the way down to the storage level, and then back to the repair lab - completely unnoticed and all doors unlocked for him - was almost laughable. And sure, maybe Ford was "watching" him and allowed all that to happen or something, but it just didn't sit right with me as it was playing out. It was things like that, where rules were either ignored or made up on the spot to accommodate the story. Akecheta had never died? And they only update hosts when the die? I'm sorry, but no. That, and he was allowed to roam basically wherever he wanted for decades and no one monitoring the hosts ever noticed? Again, the Ford angle could allow for that, but it just feels so cheap.

Overall, I liked the sentiment of the episode, the story it was trying to tell, and the outcome in what it sets up for the season end game. I just thought the execution was flat and a little lazy. Definitely ready to fully get back to the present now and see the climax unfold.
Malcolm52
AG
TCTTS said:

That... was actually one of my least favorite episodes of the series. But it seems I'm likely going to be alone in that sentiment.

First and foremost, I really disliked the voice over. It felt lazy and took away from the tension, IMO. I wanted something more visceral and in-the-moment, but I understand that's on me. I guess I was just bored by the passiveness of it all.

It also felt like there was a lot of hand waving. Akecheta waking up in the repair area, walking all the way down to the storage level, and then back to the repair area - completely unnoticed and all doors unlocked for him - was almost laughable. And sure, maybe Ford was "watching" him and allowed all that to happen or something, but it just didn't sit right with me as it was playing out. It was things like, where rules were either ignited or made up on the spot to accommodate the story. Akecheta had never died? And they only update hosts when the die? I'm sorry, but no. That, and he was allowed to roam basically wherever he wanted for decades and no one monitoring the hosts ever noticed? Again, the Ford angle could allow for that, but it just feels so cheap.

Overall, I liked the sentiment of the episode, the story it was trying to tell, and the outcome in what it sets up for the season end game. I just thought the execution was flat and a little lazy. Definitely ready to fully get back to the present and see the climax unfold.

I mostly lurk here for the analysis, but I was coming to post some thoughts after this episode. You basically hit the the nail on the head imo. Much more eloquently than I would have done as well
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I did have those questions in my head while watching, specifically when he's walking around the labs, and why his wife was picked up but not him.

But, we have two episodes to go. Let's not forget Ford has been "watching him".

Remember those two techs said "It's him" in hushed tones. They both recognized him and knew he wasn't like the others.

He's part of Ford's master plan. Imo.
Complete Idiot
Akecheta's "luck" in the lab was notable, but I almost took it as a parallel to biological evolution. A million combinations of inputs and variables leads to a mutation which is beneficial. Many hosts maybe going through same evolution but only one has right combo of timing and good fortune to push through to new existence. A reach maybe but I can argue it.

Only scene hard to take for me was sizemores weeping compassion. Where did that come from?

Emily is on a mission indeed
Hickory High
AG
I have so little understanding of what in the hell is going on in this show now that it's not even funny.

Except that it is.
Complete Idiot
Hard to tell 35 year awakening through visceral moments, the voiceover did not bother me

I do like that actor, was great in Fargo as well

Maeve dead?

"Deathbringer" - I liked that

Ford's maze explanation was curious
LHIOB
AG
What i love most is Hopkins. We were told time and time again he only signed on for 1 season. Here he is in S2 just killing it.

Zahn was pretty damned awesome in this feature epiosde.

This show is just different than everything else on TV and I love it.
Leggo My Elko
AG
You put it very well, the things you said didn't sit right with me either. Putting that aside, I still found it a very entertaining episode. The narrative was such a change of pace for the show and I thought they made it work.
Post removed:
by user
aggiepaintrain
AG
Mathias has the most interesting and compelling story of the show.

Dolores bores me to death.

Agree, best episode of either season, so well done.

FJB
bobinator
AG
This episode was like the newest Star Wars movies, it felt good, and it looked REALLY good, and the acting was great, but the more you think about it the worse it is and the more hand waving from the people that created it you need.
mazag08
AG
My theory is that Arnold figured out consciousness.. and he's alive somewhere.. perhaps the real world in a host body.
Joseph Parrish
AG
You guys are crazy. That episode was amazing.
TCTTS
AG
Quote:

See for me I attribute that to him being an unreliable narrator.

How could his memory possibly be accurate

This is him reordering 30 years of events in a way that he can get his psyche around

I don't know that we have to take his version as gospel

From one my good friends and also one of the smartest people I know, re: my complaints about all the hand waving with Akecheta this episode. I can buy that explaination, I just wish that they would have hinted more at him being a somewhat unreliable narrator if that was the case.
dave94
AG
I was totally blown away by this episode. The entire time I was so drawn into this world, albeit from a totally different perspective.

It was about as emotional as I think they've gotten, in terms of him realizing what he lost, and big picture-wise how the hosts are being humanized now through their own devices.
bobinator
AG
The " we only update them when they die," bit is probably the dumbest thing this show has tried to get away with. It's so stupid if defies comprehension.

Still, absolutely beautiful television and the action was unreal. To be clear, I love this show even with it's flaws.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.