***** WESTWORLD Season 2 (HBO) Official *****

256,240 Views | 2472 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This "immortality project" part of the Delos business also has the potential to go into "The Prestige" or "Teleporters in Star Trek are suicide boxes" philosophical territory for me
bobinator
AG
I think they're heading straight for that territory with 'the cradle.'
JJxvi
AG
On that line of thinking...there being "two Williams" would be a more interesting twist than "William is a robot now" or even "there are multiple Bernard's"
Buck O Five
AG
Would it be fair to say that young William's encounters in season 1 with Dolores and her budding consciousness via "the revelries," eventually made him feel duped, went on a rampage and went full black hat?

First he went 100% good guy to protect a sentient Dolores, then he went 100% bad guy to solve Alfred's maze. Maybe Ford's game is just to bring balance and peace to the troubled character who owns his park.
mhayden
amercer said:

MiB as a host is a terrible idea.

The who's a robot who's not bernarnold thing was a great part of season one. Doing it again is not a good idea.

Yeah, most sci-fi geeks did that already with Battlestar Gallactica and it grew very tiresome. By the end of if you didn't care who was what.
Liquid Wrench
Comments by the "showrunners" lead me to believe that they're comfortable dragging these storylines out for 5 or so seasons. So I'm not betting on any grand theories at this point.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

amercer said:

Champ Bailey said:

So I'm assuming now that William has met up with his daughter he is going to be forced to go full white hat, right?

For some reason I don't think his daughter is a white hat....

Yeah, for some reason I'm expecting some real anti-hero type stuff out of the two of them.

I'm also expecting one hell of a gun fight too.

The reasoning I have for him to act White Hat (at least for a while) is because in season 1 he talks about how his daughter and wife had never seen him act like the way he does in WW. But his daughter still blamed him and guessed the kind of man he was when his wife died. So I think it sets it up for a good morality struggle for William as he tries to win back his daughter.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
God damn. That episode was a ****ing journey.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
LHIOB said:

That was pretty amazing TV. The first scene in the apartment felt exactly like when we met Desmond on Lost.

My first thought. Straight up Lost. This is a JJ Abrams show after all.
TCTTS
AG
I always forget that this is an Abrams/Bad Robot production. So cool.
Quinn
AG
How much involvement does Abrams have in something like this? He's an Exec Producer, but I figured that was mainly honorary in order to have his name attached.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah I'd say he's had very little involvement in a creative capacity other than a preliminary meeting or two with Nolan/Joy. Abrams/Bad Robot likely simply helped get it made and/or facilitate the HBO relationship.
Complete Idiot
I never watched Lost, but got the gist of how that series went from friends and reading things here and there. I do wonder if WW will be like Lost in that there could be a whole bunch of curious stuff thrown in that never really gets explained or resolved.
Rocagnante
AG
TCTTS said:

I always forget that this is an Abrams/Bad Robot production. So cool.

Bad Robot...such a fitting name. Which brings up questions....

So which timeline is this? Did Abrams name it Bad Robot because he knew it would be tied to Westworld or because he was having memories of the future? Is Abrams a host and does he really have frewill or was he simply following his programming to name it Bad Robot?
bobinator
AG
free_mhayden said:

By the end of if you didn't care who was what.
Again though, I think that's potentially the point here.

We'll see. I think as of today I'm like 75/25 against the MIB being a clone, but I still love a good wild theory when I hear one that fits (most of...) the evidence and the themes of the show.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I never watched Lost, but got the gist of how that series went from friends and reading things here and there. I do wonder if WW will be like Lost in that there could be a whole bunch of curious stuff thrown in that never really gets explained or resolved.

I believe no, Nolan in past works loves to play with timelines, mystery, and unconventional story telling but not for just the sake of those things. He still in the end tells the story.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I believe in interviews he has said he likes to answer the questions that arise before the season is over and that it's not his style to leave big questions unanswered between seasons.
Quinn
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Complete Idiot said:

I believe in interviews he has said he likes to answer the questions that arise before the season is over and that it's not his style to leave big questions unanswered between seasons.
LOST was really more of Carlton Cuse's and Damon Lindelof's show than Abrams. Abrams was the big name and helped it get started, but Cuse and Lindelof were the show runners throughout.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Clearly Delos has already cloned William.
Complete Idiot
Thats great.
mhayden
bobinator said:

free_mhayden said:

By the end of if you didn't care who was what.
Again though, I think that's potentially the point here.

We'll see. I think as of today I'm like 75/25 against the MIB being a clone, but I still love a good wild theory when I hear one that fits (most of...) the evidence and the themes of the show.

I don't mean that by the end of it you didn't care who was human and who wasn't from a philosophical "does it matter?" standpoint.

I meant by the end you didn't care who was what from a storytelling perspective because that well had been gone to so many times that it simply wasn't an effective plot device any longer.

We've already seen a few touches of it this season (the assumption Elsie was dead in S1 but now she's back alive!)... Not just blatant, but toeing the line a bit.

I will lose interest fast in this show if we have more than a few more attempts to deceive us with an alternate timeline or person we did/didn't think was a host turns out to be human. Hopefully it actually has a meaningful narrative to tell (because the setup is certainly there from S1) and isn't just looking for each season's "gotcha!" moment.
emtes
AG
Nolan and Joy also said in an interview before the season begun that there will be more answers after this season than there were after season one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One thing I'm a bit confused on is, it doesn't seem like Ford and William were ever working "together". Was the Delos host being developed completely independently of what Ford and Arnold were doing?
Prophet00
AG
I still can't see William without picturing this:

bobinator
AG
I think that's intentionally unclear at this point, but I'm going to be surprised if Ford wasn't part of it. I can see a situation where he was helping them and that's why they let him do his own thing with the park itself.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Prophet00 said:

I still can't see William without picturing this:

Agreed.

"YOU WILL CALL HER!!"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

So ****ing ready for next episode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's a bit worrisome that the viewership doesn't seem to be growing at all.

GoT started out averaging ~2.5 million per episode in the first season, and by this time in Season 2 was almost up to 4 million viewers.

Westworld ratings have actually dropped this season, with last episode getting only 1.59 million viewers.

Are these numbers good enough? With such a big budget, I doubt HBO is thrilled with these numbers. If these don't go way up in Season 3, I fear it may be done after 3.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/05/13/westworld-season-2-ratings-are-moving-in-the-wrong-direction/
Mozart Paintings
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

GoT started out averaging ~2.5 million per episode in the first season, and by this time in Season 2 was almost up to 4 million viewers.

Westworld ratings have actually dropped this season, with last episode getting only 1.59 million viewers.

Are these numbers good enough? With such a big budget, I doubt HBO is thrilled with these numbers. If these don't go way up in Season 3, I fear it may be done after 3.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/05/13/westworld-season-2-ratings-are-moving-in-the-wrong-direction/

My wife bailed. She said she was tired of being non stop confused and wasn't interested in having to do extra internet work to keep up.
emtes
AG
Season ones numbers dipped a little. Surely after this last episode the viewers will increase. Filler episodes 2 and 3 were certainly boring when you compare to 4.
JJxvi
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What would be HBO's plan otherwise? Nothing they have gets ratings like Game of Thrones, so theres no comparison. Game of Thrones is also going to be over, and at that point HBO only has two proven big budget subscription driving dramas, Westworld and True Detective left by my count.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
JJxvi said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

What would be HBO's plan otherwise? Nothing they have gets ratings like Game of Thrones, so theres no comparison. Game of Thrones is also going to be over, and at that point HBO only has two proven big budget subscription driving dramas, Westworld and True Detective left by my count.

Ummmm.....

Big Little Lies it's first season grew to 2.79 Million by the finale.

The Deuce also was last year and got upwards of 2 million viewers counting all platforms in it's first season.

they have 6 other new dramas in some state of production or pre-production:

Succession
Untitled Hagai Levi Israel Drama
Confederate
Demimonde
Who Fears Death
Lovecraft Countr
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

My wife bailed. She said she was tired of being non stop confused and wasn't interested in having to do extra internet work to keep up.
I maintain that the show is much more enjoyable without doing extra internet research. Some people seem to be really stressing themselves out listening to all these podcasts and reading everything they can find to tell them how to understand a weekly one hour TV show, while they're missing things in the show itself. Sit back and enjoy the show.

I can see the audience dropping some, though, as it starts to appear that they're really going to stretch things out into myriad park scenarios.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I could see how someone could get frustrated and confused though if all they are doing is watching the show.
JJxvi
AG
Is Big Little Lies a series? I thought it was a stand alone miniseries, havent watched it,

As for the Deuce, just 2 million on all-platforms? Doesnt Westworld way outperform that? The first season of Westworld was like 11 or 12 million all-platforms, I thought, and assumed would be way more than 2 million when eventually totaled up for these episodes. Westworld is certainly bigger than the Deuce on raw ratings, so I doubt they are gonna be looking to replace that unless the Deuce is on an un-HBO like budget.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.