***** WESTWORLD Season 2 (HBO) Official *****

260,863 Views | 2472 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearamedic99
Post removed:
by user
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I figured it was because the hosts can lie and ignore commands now.
cr0wbar
AG
Man - December 2016 was the end of S1. So 18 months later is a bit tough to swallow. Had to watch some Youtube recaps to refresh. Few thoughts:

• Bernard is wearing a different suit/tux from Massacre night/escape (black) than what he's wearing on the beach / with the Delos Army folks (Grey 3 piece suit)
  • Charlotte mentions that 'Peter Abernathy' is the host package. So we assume between Day 1 and Day 11 they're able to attain him...because they show up
  • How was Bernard able to DNA unlock that door with Charlotte?
  • We still have no idea where this 'island' is located, right?
  • Bengal tiger = Mix between "Parks 1 and 6" Ruh Roh
TCTTS
AG
Hadn't thought about this in a while, and I know we discussed it a long time ago, but was there ever a reason given in season one or by the showrunners themselves since as to how/why no one recognizes Bernard as looking exactly like Arnold, the park's co-founder who died 35 years ago? Wouldn't this be a little like a Jobs/Wozniak situation, only if Wozniak notoriously died when the first Apple computer was released, but then a guy who looks exactly like Wozniak showed up to Apple 20+ years later, hadn't aged a day, and helped run the place?
M.C. Swag
AG
I think it's because Arnold died so long ago (before the park was opened) that no one actually ever met Arnold. And I just assumed that Bernard was created much later after Arnold's death.
amercer
AG
Interesting question though since you'd think the creators of Westworld would be famous as ****. Maybe Ford buried Arnold's involvement after his death? Because you'd certainly think that at least the initial investors would know what he looked like.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I asked this exact same thing to a friend of mine this morning.

At the very least, you'd think Charlotte would know what Arnold looked like.
M.C. Swag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Charlotte wasn't even born when Arnold was killed.
M.C. Swag
AG
amercer said:

Interesting question though since you'd think the creators of Westworld would be famous as ****. Maybe Ford buried Arnold's involvement after his death? Because you'd certainly think that at least the initial investors would know what he looked like.
The investors weren't around tho. The whole impetus for Delos (and William and Logan's 'adventure') getting involved was to see whether it was worthy of investing. By the time William and Logan even set foot in Westworld, Arnolds death was like a 'myth.' Logan mentioned something like 'I heard that someone died here along time ago.' or something to that effect.

The point being, Arnold died A REALLY long time ago.
amercer
AG
Right, but there must have been non-Delos initial investors. Ford and Arnold weren't doing this in secret and self funding, were they?
M.C. Swag
AG
amercer said:

Right, but there must have been non-Delos initial investors. Ford and Arnold weren't doing this in secret and self funding, were they?
That's the gist I got. (Until they ran into financial troubles and were essentially FORCED to open up to outside investors)
jdgilberg
AG
I seem to recall Ford remembering the early days before the park being open as him and Arnold and pure creation with no people around.

Also, I recall present day William referring to Ford's partner as "some guy named Arnold" and he became an investor early on who clearly had no idea what he looked like.

I'll go back and look for quotes or at least episode numbers but this is what I remember from rewatching over the last 2 weeks

M.C. Swag
AG
So think about the timeline right?

Year X: Arnold dies
Year X+20? Maybe even 25?: Bernard is created

Between those two dates, anyone who would have known Arnold is gone from Westword (or 'cycled out'). There weren't any plausible characters who would have met Arnold and are STILL in a position to know Bernard.

Anyone who is/was a personal friend of Arnold's still believes he's dead and has no knowledge of Bernard's existence.
MW03
AG
Quote:

• Bengal tiger = Mix between "Parks 1 and 6" Ruh Roh

The tiger threw me.

Tigers, unlike Samurai, aren't indigenous to Japan. And that thing came from Park 6, so now I'm picturing a circular park with 6 sections. We know there's Park 1 (Westworld). We know there's a Samurai World. And now we know there's a world next door to Park 1, Park 6, that has Bengal Tigers.

I seem to remember a line of dialogue from Season 1 about how the hosts would explode if they tried to leave the park (though I can't find it now). I wonder if that was the same deal for them crossing boundaries between parks. Maybe that was the significance of the tiger.

Or it was just Lost Robot messing with us.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Seriously? He died 35 years earlier.

Do you know what John Lennon looked like?

Now, if it's made clear that Ford intentionally buried all information about Arnold, then I suppose it's plausible. Maybe we're just meant to assume this.
M.C. Swag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

M.C. Swag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Seriously? He died 35 years earlier.

Do you know what John Lennon looked like?
Haha yes, because he was a pop culture icon. Arnold was a coder in Ford's private robotics company. Do you know what the founder of Raytheon looks like? (who died 40 years ago)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm obviously assuming Ford is a well-know figure and this was a Jobs/Wozniak situation, as mentioned earlier.
M.C. Swag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm obviously assuming Ford is a well-know figure and this was a Jobs/Wozniak situation, as mentioned earlier.
That's no apples to apples tho. You have to account for the gap AND the fact that Arnold died well before any outside investors were even doing their due diligence. Arnold's death was some vague legend before Logan set foot in the place (which was 35 years before Charlotte walked into the picture).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

That's no apples to apples tho.
I see what you did there.
M.C. Swag
AG
i wish i was half that clever
TCTTS
AG
I can buy Arnold's history getting buried, I guess, especially if he wasn't a public figure and it was years before the Delos take-over. Still, you just know someone is going to come across an old record or old photograph and the cat will be out of the bag. Which, the more I think about it, could actually make for a pretty good plot point to come.
Another Doug
AG
Easy solution to the over debated topic, some of Bernard's coding...

if( CoWorkerSaysYouLookLikeArnold() )
{
ImplementCrazyEyes();
TiltHead();
Yell("You sayin we all look alike!!!");
CallHR();
}

M.C. Swag
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

I can buy Arnold's history getting buried, I guess, especially if he wasn't a public figure and it was years before the Delos take-over. Still, you just know someone is going to come across an old record or old photograph and the cat will be out of the bag. Which, the more I think about it, could actually make for a pretty good plot point to come.

I think they had pointed out last season that Bernard had made the realization he was a host before. Maybe that was there way of glossing over that potential scenario?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's awesome.
tk for tu juan
Remember, the picture of "Arnold" standing next to Ford in Ford's office was not actually Arnold.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

AgEng06
AG
Awesome.

And I think this is my first post on this thread, even though I've been following the whole time. Looking forward to what this season has coming.
Liquid Wrench
Very strong possibility.
Not sure if I just missed this but what was Arnold doing when he was injecting himself with that liquid you got from the host?
Capitol Ag
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Remember, the picture of "Arnold" standing next to Ford in Ford's office was not actually Arnold.
We see the picture from Bernard's perspective. There are 3 people in the picture and Ford leads Bernard to believe Arnold is the other gentleman standing next to Ford. Arnold is a 3rd person to our right in the actual picture, but seeing it through Bernard's eyes, there were only 2 men in the picture. He's programed not to make any sense of a picture of his actual non-host self.

We later In the series see the same picture WITH Arnold actually in the picture standing with the other 2 men.
tk for tu juan
#1 said:

Not sure if I just missed this but what was Arnold doing when he was injecting himself with that liquid you got from the host?

When he got pushed down helping the stable boy, he hit his head and starting losing cerebral fluid. He was injecting additional fluid to avoid dying
tk for tu juan
Capitol Ag said:

tk for tu juan said:

We see the picture from Bernard's perspective. Arnold is a 3rd person to our right in the actual picture, but seeing it through Bernard's eyes, there were only 2 men in the picture. He's programed not to make any sense of a picture of his actual non-host self.

We later In the series see the same picture WITH Arnold actually in the picture standing with the other 2 men.

Ah yes, slowly remembering things from last season
tk for tu juan
Best use of The Entertainer since The Sting

Belton Ag
AG
cr0wbar said:

• How was Bernard able to DNA unlock that door with Charlotte?

• I wondered this same thing last night.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.