*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

349,891 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The encouraging thing is that they have five seasons already mapped out. This isn't a "make **** up as we go" situation like Lost proved to be.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AliasMan02 said:

The encouraging thing is that they have five seasons already mapped out. This isn't a "make **** up as we go" situation like Lost proved to be.

except....they kinda said the same thing about LOST...they said they had the ending all mapped out from the start and after 2 seasons anyway they said they had the rest of the series mapped out.

they diverged for certain characters that were more popular (Locke and Ben primarily) and some less popular (Nikki and Paulo).

You think they wouldn't divert this show from what they have mapped out if certain things did not pan out or if others became hugely popular?

Sorry - not buying that line again.

AliasMan02
AG
I hear you, but HBO isn't under the same pressures as network television and are far less fickle. They spent three years developing the show. I think the show runners will get to let their vision play out.
schmendeler
AG
Arnold is not Ed Harris. the person in the picture with Anthony Hopkins is another actor that I recognized. I THINK it's this guy:

(Danny Huston- played stryker in the wolverine origin movie)

when I went back and looked at the picture last night, it's who came to mind, anyway. thoughts?
AliasMan02
AG
So, how does currency work? I assume that food and drinks are free or included on some level. Obviously there are "occupation" opportunities like bounty hunting, ranching, treasure hunting, etc. for a full immersion experience.

What about vice purchases like hookers and gambling? Seems like there would be value in restricting the amount of cash available. Gambling isn't fun if you have unlimited funds, after all. A guest pulling 10 hookers into a room for 24 hours would be disruptive.

I'm guessing that everything is included and money has no bearing. If it was limited, I could see a stipend coming with your entry fee, with the possibility of allowing accrued winnings to stay in your account to await your next trip.

Not that any of this matters, just thinking it through.
aggietoombs01
Good question. It's kind of a stretch, but the Lord of the Flies referred to in the Bible as Beelzebub. I probably would have just forgotten the Bible theory, but then, the fact that Ford wanted to uncover the host, because the hosts don't experience "shame" is a reference to the original fall of man, when Adam and Eve realized for the first time that they were naked and were "ashamed".

I was browsing a wiki on Beelzebub, and it mentioned that flies were not created by God, but by the devil...out of the corpses of dead bodies to spread disease from the dead to the living. Another rabbit hole, I suppose...
MW03
AG
The way they did young Anthony Hopkins was awesome. I also noted the old WW logo during that scene.

zgood10
AG
schmendeler said:

Arnold is not Ed Harris. the person in the picture with Anthony Hopkins is another actor that I recognized. I THINK it's this guy:

when I went back and looked at the picture last night, it's who came to mind, anyway. thoughts?
Guy in the picture looks more like Ian Holm
M.C. Swag
AG
TBH, neither of the guys in that photo even look like Anthony Hopkins.
LHIOB
AG
I really like this show. I rewetted E1 and E2 last night with my mom (only sorta awkward in some parts) and it was much easier to follow the second time (obviously). Im not a fan of the MIB is Arnold theory. I believe that he is dead and he committed suicide.

The members of the mob were human or something has been altered by Ford to ramp up the experience. When the shooting started the sherif grabbed the lantern which I thought was odd. It was only after they were still tracking them after dark that I realized it was so they would have light. Just a cool bit of writing on Fords part.

The pretty girl with Teddy is a guest and she may in for a bad night.

I liked the idea of the cowboys being stuck in a loop since the wood cutter was gone. Im sure the idea that only some hosts can do certain things will be revisited. Im wondering if Delores was supposed to be able to shoot a gun until something flipped in her.

I'd love to see more flashbacks, that was cool.

While the dead son is cliche, I think Bernard is experimenting with Delores so he can one day build a new son. Its safe to say he's not a host.

I also liked the little Easter eggs they throw in. In the flashback to the early days of the park the host that greeted William at the train walked by and of course Mr Abernathy was shown too.
M.C. Swag
AG
LHIOB said:

I liked the idea of the cowboys being stuck in a loop since the wood cutter was gone. Im sure the idea that only some hosts can do certain things will be revisited. Im wondering if Delores was supposed to be able to shoot a gun until something flipped in her.

She certainly was not supposed to. That part was clear during her shooting lessons with Teddy. Whatever Bernard did to her with the "improvisation only" did something to override her "weapon privileges."
civilized05
AG
After watching last night's episode and the attack in the outlands on Teddy, they appeared to be guests since they didn't die after being shot (or were wearing some bullet-proofing...maybe part of their backstories?), but it got me to thinking.

If a guest had mixed in with these outlaws and went on a killing/attacking spree, what's to keep them from accidentally killing another "guest" with the search party/posse since it appeared all the baddies that were attacking Teddy had melee weapons? I understand the guns won't kill guests, but what about brute for objects like the rock, ax or something else.

Also, the shootouts remind me more of laser tag in that once you get shot, you just go someplace to restart and there are no long-term repercussions. While the gun-play looks neat on screen, it just seems a bit inconsequential knowing that guests can't be killed and the cylons go back to start the next day.

Overall the show is beautifully done and the actors switching between "modes" is subtle and nicely done.

I only watched few episodes of the first season of Lost, but heard it fell off pretty hard, I really hope that isn't the case with this show.
OldArmy71
AG
Speaking of Delores shooting the revolver, I wonder what time period in the Old West this is supposed to be? Everyone seems to have single action revolvers, which means she would have had to cock the gun to shoot it. She does not cock it, yet it fires.
proc
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Speaking of Delores shooting the revolver, I wonder what time period in the Old West this is supposed to be? Everyone seems to have single action revolvers, which means she would have had to cock the gun to shoot it. She does not cock it, yet it fires.
When Teddy was trying to teach her to shoot, she had her thumbs on the same sides as her index fingers. Had she fired it, that hand cannon would have flown right back into her chin.
civilized05
AG
proc said:

OldArmy71 said:

When Teddy was trying to teach her to shoot, she had her thumbs on the same sides as her index fingers. Had she fired it, that hand cannon would have flown right back into her chin.
I was honestly waiting for that to happen.

3rdGen2015
AG
I think the masked people are still hosts. When Teddy and company are riding up the mountain, he says something like "They would do anything for Wyatt. They don't feel pain and they aren't afraid of death. So when we get up there, shoot and don't stop."
jabberwalkie09
AG
OldArmy71 said:

I'm chocking that up to an error in continuity, but yeah I saw that too. Seems like it should be set in the late 1800's.
Rocagnante
AG
M.C. Swag said:

LHIOB said:

She certainly was not supposed to. That part was clear during her shooting lessons with Teddy. Whatever Bernard did to her with the "improvisation only" did something to override her "weapon privileges."

I took it that was her first action of free will. She wanted to override her settings and pull the trigger.

I took the scene with Bernard earlier as her first spark of true AI. When she gave that answer she didn't know how she came up with. After that she was left in improvisation only mode and sent back out. It was that night she pulled the trigger.
schmendeler
AG
zgood10 said:

schmendeler said:

Guy in the picture looks more like Ian Holm
could be. but it's definitely not ed harris!
mhayden
3rdGen2015 said:

I think the masked people are still hosts. When Teddy and company are riding up the mountain, he says something like "They would do anything for Wyatt. They don't feel pain and they aren't afraid of death. So when we get up there, shoot and don't stop."

Agreed. It was specifically mentioned, and having them be guests doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
PooDoo
AG
Don't think that's him. Would probably closer to Hopkins age.
Btron
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

I agree. We have also seen hosts getting shot and still functioning as normal. Milk guy "growing boy, you're a growing boy!!!"
mavsfan4ever
AG
civilized05 said:

I only watched few episodes of the first season of Lost, but heard it fell off pretty hard, I really hope that isn't the case with this show.

Whoever told you that gave you bad info. Yea, some people weren't crazy about the ending and people wanted more answers to certain issues/questions in the show. But Lost in no way fell off pretty hard. It was great television for multiple seasons.
Swing Your Saber
jabberwalkie09 said:

OldArmy71 said:

I'm chocking that up to an error in continuity, but yeah I saw that too. Seems like it should be set in the late 1800's.

I imagine this is another anachronism done to benefit the majority of guests. Most guests prefer revolvers w/modern handling & "Wild West" look/fee,l so they get them.
MW03
AG
I noticed watching Ep 2 that the intro has them building the revolvers out of the same stuff that they use to make the people/horses/etc. Not sure if that's significant, other than to explain the significance of them bringing another revolver that could possibly be an outside weapon and isn't made of that material.

---------

On the subject of the turtle, as a Dark Tower fanboy, I found it fun that she picked up both a turtle and a bear.

Really???
MW03 said:

Check one of the promo posters

I know I'm 7 pages behind, but that symbol (also in the center of the maze) is DaVinci's Vitruvian Man.

It's also the frame they use in part of the building process for the hosts.

It's his version of the perfect human being. No symbolism here.

Centerpole90
AG
MW03 said:

explain the significance of them bringing another revolver that could possibly be an outside weapon and isn't made of that material.
That was my impression when the voice directed here to the weapon, it was an 'outside' weapon, like the picture her dad found in the dust.

When Delores killed lamb chops, was the gun she used from his gun belt? I thought it was because it seemed like he glanced down and it was missing from his side; but I also wondered if she had planted it there because of the multiple renderings of that scene.

Then the voice is back.
AliasMan02
AG
It's the gun she dug up, which she planted in the barn because she knew the assault would happen.

At least that's what I took away.
Raptor
AG
Centerpole90 said:

MW03 said:

explain the significance of them bringing another revolver that could possibly be an outside weapon and isn't made of that material.
That was my impression when the voice directed here to the weapon, it was an 'outside' weapon, like the picture her dad found in the dust.

When Delores killed lamb chops, was the gun she used from his gun belt? I thought it was because it seemed like he glanced down and it was missing from his side; but I also wondered if she had planted it there because of the multiple renderings of that scene.

Then the voice is back.
lamb chops had the gun when he grabbed her and then she took it in the struggle to drag her to the barn.
M.C. Swag
AG
AliasMan02 said:

It's the gun she dug up, which she planted in the barn because she knew the assault would happen.

At least that's what I took away.

Pretty sure she took it off the bad guy when he grabbed her. (That's why he looked down at his hip)
MW03
AG
NM

Btron
AG
She hid it. Earlier in the episode the gun is in the dresser. Then it's gone to make it appear that she hid it in the hay to defend from her soon to be attackers.
mhayden
But he definitely looked down and saw his gun was not in its holster.

Basically, we're not supposed to know which yet.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I see Delores starting to move through Westworld like Neo in the Matrix. She can now see what is about to happen before it happens and easily defeat other hosts. Will she harm guests is my question? I think, yes.
Greeze06
AG
How did creepy host wake up when he was getting his head sawed off? And why was he cutting his head off?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.