*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

351,621 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All accounts are that they have five seasons plotted out.
bangobango
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I had heard that, too, but then you see this press release and they're talking like they just came up with the story for season two, so I don't know what to think.
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

They're literally saying the opposite of that. Season two will apparently carry over much of season one's plot and characters.
What difference does that make?

My only point is that when you have a season two, you leave with a cliff hanger and sometimes no resolution - like the Hatch and Lost.

If you're writing for one season then you have some cathartic ending that leaves everybody satisfied. You can have one of the robots find the "maze," which in my opinion is not a place moreso than a state of complete freedom for the robot, and still have the same cast and characters for season two. Dolores or Maeve getting to safety does nothing for Teddy and others left behind.
MW03
AG
I think you're inadvertently describing the divergent series.
AliasMan02
AG
bangobango said:

AliasMan02 said:

I had heard that, too, but then you see this press release and they're talking like they just came up with the story for season two, so I don't know what to think.

I read that as the show runners knowing what was next, but only just sharing that with the bosses.
3rdGen2015
AG
Quote:

Finally, a couple of host-mechanics questions I've wondering about, that seem like they might be increasingly relevant: Can you say how are the hosts powered? Like do they need to recharge? Do they eat?

Nolan: Their construction and their power source is something we're really going to get into during season 2. So we'd like to keep that mysterious. They're closer to biological than they are to mechanical, but they don't suffer brain death the same way we do. They're largely indistinguishable from a human beings, but their brains don't require oxygen which opens up interesting possibilities. Their brains are not as fragile as ours. On one hand, their cognition is controllable and malleable, but on a structural level they can't be killed in the same way you and I can. There are advantages and disadvantages to being a host. Season 2 we'll be exploring more the nuts and bolts of what they are as the hosts themselves are trying to understand.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/13/westworld-interview-bernard-clementine
bangobango
AG
AliasMan02 said:

bangobango said:

AliasMan02 said:

I read that as the show runners knowing what was next, but only just sharing that with the bosses.
Here are the relevant quotes:

Quote:

EW chatted with Bloys who confirmed that, as far as Season 2 goes, "they're going to have to map it out and write the scripts" so a 2018 release is most likely. What that season will focus on is known to a select few at the moment, including the showrunners Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy. Here's what Bloys had to say about their plans:
Quote:

Jonah and Lisa great storytellers. I didn't know exactly what to expect in season two. And what they came up with is as exciting, mysterious and as fun as season one. And completely original, as well.

This guy is saying they had to map it out, so it doesn't sound like they already had it done.
BowSowy
AG
Quote:

EW chatted with Bloys who confirmed that, as far as Season 2 goes, "they're going to have to map it out and write the scripts" so a 2018 release is most likely. What that season will focus on is known to a select few at the moment, including the showrunners Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy. Here's what Bloys had to say about their plans:
Quote:

Jonah and Lisa great storytellers. I didn't know exactly what to expect in season two. And what they came up with is as exciting, mysterious and as fun as season one. And completely original, as well.

Ugh, the wait between GoT seasons is already rough, sounds like this wait will be even longer.
Complete Idiot
I think they might have a general story arc planned out over 5 seasons, but the scripts and details to support that arc not yet written. That's just my guess though.

Hopkins is 78, let's get filming.
Vander
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

Vander said:

The William = MiB people are reading WAY too much into the storyline. If it ultimately proves true, then this is LOST levels of convolution that will leave significant plot holes in the storyline.
I totally disagree with the bolded part. Their characters are written very closely on purpose. Check out the lines that William said in this episode and the MiB said in Episode 4.

It still may ultimately turn out to be false, but I don't see how you can operate under the assumption that there is no way that they can be the same person.
Because it's too obvious and with the way the storylines have been written, it opens up too many plotholes. LOST tried this crap and it failed because of scenes like the one where she see the MiB in a flashback are edited to where the scene immediately flows into a scene where she meets William. Either it's supposed to be a linear transition during that part or it is written to explicitly confuse the viewer and obfuscate the truth.

I don't believe it because it's exactly the kind of twist you would expect out of a show like this because almost everyone can see the theory, which really has all the subtlety of a rock smashing into your head.

William may yet become a monster himself, but I would much rather he be a separate character from the MiB if only because Ed Harris is so damn good in the role.
Complete Idiot

Voyage of self discovery?

Still so many crazy theories are possible - perhaps William is just a back story to MIB, who is a host, and the MIB is searching for his God!!!!
bobinator
AG
It's only "too obvious" to people that have been watching multiple times and dissecting every scene.

Try explaining this theory to someone who's just been watching the show week to week and it will completely blow their mind.

And there aren't any plotholes, just assumptions you made as a viewer that aren't necessarily true.
The White Wolf
In that "flashback" scene that you're referring to when she sees the MiB in the barn, the last words he says to her is:
"Do you remember? Why don't we reacquaint ourselves, Dolores? Start at the beginning..."

THE VERY NEXT SCENE is her running and falling into William's arms at their campfire. In a story telling sense, it is completely linear. It would make less sense if we saw that scene, heard that line, and then it moved to something completely nonrelated.

TCTTS
AG
Only hardcore fans on message boards/reddit have any idea about the two timeline theory. I've talked to at least three people who watch the show every week and are fans and I blew their minds with the two timeline theory. The casual fan/watcher has no clue...
AliasMan02
AG
The White Wolf said:

In that "flashback" scene that you're referring to when she sees the MiB in the barn, the last words he says to her is:
"Do you remember? Why don't we reacquaint ourselves, Dolores? Start at the beginning..."

THE VERY NEXT SCENE is her running and falling into William's arms at their campfire. In a story telling sense, it is completely linear. It would make less sense if we saw that scene, heard that line, and then it moved to something completely nonrelated.

You have the sequence wrong. She stumbles onto William and Logan after shooting Rebus and fleeing before Walter can shoot her.
RAT90
AG
I think if this show was produced pre-Internet we would all be blown away by any reveal. Think Dallas and who shot JR?
Breggy Popup
AG
TCTTS said:

Only hardcore fans on message boards/reddit have any idea about the two timeline theory. I've talked to at least three people who watch the show every week and are fans and I blew their minds with the two timeline theory. The casual fan/watcher has no clue...

If by two timelines you mean that William is the MiB in the early days, my wife picked up on that right away and she is horrible at picking up on subtly in TV shows.
The White Wolf
AliasMan02 said:

The White Wolf said:

You have the sequence wrong. She stumbles onto William and Logan after shooting Rebus and fleeing before Walter can shoot her.
Before she shoots him, she sees MiB again and that's what he says. She then shoots Rebus and runs. This is when she's having those various glitches or flashbacks or whatever you'd want to call them. When we're seeing different versions of her loop playing out again and again before finally breaking out.

Correction though on the dialogue there. We get an added "Do you remember?" earlier in that episode between MiB and Dolores, however in the scene at the end, all he says this time is "Why don't we reacquaint ourselves, Dolores. Start at the beginning." Directly after this, she then flashes into the other loop with Rebus where she shoots him and runs.
LHIOB
AG
I tried to explain this stuff to a friend who said, "its cool man, I just watch for robot sex"
Swing Your Saber
On multiple timeframes I don't think it's convoluted or meant as a giant trick. I think it's just a very unique & interesting story telling device. Moreover,at this point, knowing, or not knowing, its multiple time frames does not make the show any harder to follow or understand. Knowing adds layers, but not knowing does not leave the viewer w/tons of questions.

Time Now, I think we are watching at least three time frames:

Arnold's (appearing as "Bernard")initial conversations w/Delores.

William (the MiB) & Delores running through the park.

Current MiB, Ford & Bernard, ect...

I like the idea Bernard is created in Arnold's image.

I also think some dead folks come back as hosts.

Initially I was against management as hosts, but have turned 180 degrees & think these guys can do really well w/that plot line.
bangobango
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Voyage of self discovery?

Still so many crazy theories are possible - perhaps William is just a back story to MIB, who is a host, and the MIB is searching for his God!!!!
Kind of interesting monologue there by the man in black. Kind of mirrors Williams concerns about having a purpose in life and thinking he finds it at the park and with Dolores. You watch that scene with that in mind, you can almost hear the bitterness in MIB's voice.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
2018?!
Cynical_Texan
AG
I didn't come to this board purposefully because I didn't see the episode last night.

Just finished it while at work and had a big smile on my face as soon as Bernhard said "What door?"

I think Ford started creating Host Theresa (which we see end of episode) after overhearing Theresa's conversation with the female board representative through Host Hector. Blood Sacrifice being the key words of course.

This whole season/show has been fantastic, the last two episodes ramped it up to 11.

3rdGen2015
AG
Cynical_Texan said:

Just finished it while at work
I hope you work from home
Complete Idiot
Cynical_Texan said:

I didn't come to this board purposefully because I didn't see the episode last night.

Just finished it while at work and had a big smile on my face as soon as Bernhard said "What door?"

I think Ford started creating Host Theresa (which we see end of episode) after overhearing Theresa's conversation with the female board representative through Host Hector. Blood Sacrifice being the key words of course.

This whole season/show has been fantastic, the last two episodes ramped it up to 11.

Even before the "what door" he was awoken by someone saying "wake up" when in the hospital room with his son, that kind of iced it for me when considering all the focus put on his back story in earlier episodes. I admit I didn't think Bernard would be a host, not for a long time, but mostly because I kind of didn't want it to be true. Once you don't know who is real and who is a host it becomes sort of like the holodeck on Star Trek - anything is possible (nerd alert? I hate the holodeck)
Quinn
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Cynical_Texan said:

Even before the "what door" he was awoken by someone saying "wake up" when in the hospital room with his son, that kind of iced it for me when considering all the focus put on his back story in earlier episodes. I admit I didn't think Bernard would be a host, not for a long time, but mostly because I kind of didn't want it to be true. Once you don't know who is real and who is a host it becomes sort of like the holodeck on Star Trek - anything is possible (nerd alert? I hate the holodeck)
Being in the hospital with his son when Ford had previously said they lived in a world without disease made me think his son wasn't real.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, good catch.
amercer
AG
I still think that's Arnold's backstory and the world wasn't so disease free 40 years before. Which might tie into what the MIBs foundation does.
mazzag
AG
I didn't think he was a host until he woke up from a nightmare.
Breggy Popup
AG
Quinn said:

Complete Idiot said:

Cynical_Texan said:

Being in the hospital with his son when Ford had previously said they lived in a world without disease made me think his son wasn't real.
He said "we can cure any disease" not that there is no disease at all. The son could have had an injury or Bernard may not have been able to afford the cure. I too thought the situation as a clue but didn't take it as anything that couldn't be explained away. It is moot now though.
Quinn
AG
Certainly possible; that was just my thought at that time. I guess for the BenArnold storyline to work, no one must know what Arnold looked like.
claym711
AG
I think there are more than 2 timelines. ,
Complete Idiot
I went back and watched the preview clips in the original post on this thread, some scenes/images used I don't recall seeing yet. But they could have been cut from show entirely.
Seven Costanza
AG
If they make Theresa into a robot, then how do they deal with her when she is supposed to rotate off duty away from the park? The odds that something malfunctions would have to be too high to let her leave, but you can't just leave her in the park forever.
TCTTS
AG
My gut says Ford makes her a robot, but if so, how do you explain this shot from next week? Would Hale and Stubbs be in on it too?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.