*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

351,643 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
claym711
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everyone is on the table as being a host, Ford included. In fact, I think it's more likely Ford is a host (he controls hosts without words or a tablet) and the picture people are referencing is a picture of the 3 original hosts - Ford, Dad, and Bernard.

I don't think Bernard is host Arnold if Arnold was a human. There would have to be zero pictures of Arnold in existence or people would obviously notice. I think Bernard was one of the original hosts. That's why he can see the house. It's been obvious for a while that Bernard is a host. The way Theresa treated him, used him, was the tip off.

If MIB is William, then something must happen to Logan that allows William to take over the company. MIB states to ford "I saved this place". Also possible that MIB is a host and part of Ford's story.

Maeve appears to be out of Ford'a knowledge somehow and might be part of Arnold's revenge or escape plan.

Most interesting aspect of this story are the ideas it's touching on regarding spirituality and the nature of consciousness and God.
Quinn
AG
Theresa seemed shocked to learn that Bernard was a host IMO.
Tobias Funke
AG
I love this thread but sometimes I wish I had the self control to watch a show like this without digging into all the Internet theories. I probably would have guessed at the Bernard host thing, but I might not have and I think "what door?" would have destroyed my brain.

I have a friend who watches every episode twice but doesn't read threads like these, and I blew her mind on Friday with the two timeline theory.
Dro07
AG
What if the maze is actually a machine that is able to transfer your mind into a robot? Finale is that we find out that ford has done it?
AgLiving06
claym711 said:

Everyone is on the table as being a host, Ford included. In fact, I think it's more likely Ford is a host (he controls hosts without words or a tablet) and the picture people are referencing is a picture of the 3 original hosts - Ford, Dad, and Bernard.

I don't think Bernard is host Arnold if Arnold was a human. There would have to be zero pictures of Arnold in existence or people would obviously notice. I think Bernard was one of the original hosts. That's why he can see the house. It's been obvious for a while that Bernard is a host. The way Theresa treated him, used him, was the tip off.

If MIB is William, then something must happen to Logan that allows William to take over the company. MIB states to ford "I saved this place". Also possible that MIB is a host and part of Ford's story.

Maeve appears to be out of Ford'a knowledge somehow and might be part of Arnold's revenge or escape plan.

Most interesting aspect of this story are the ideas it's touching on regarding spirituality and the nature of consciousness and God.

I know it won't be true, but I could see Arnold being the human that created Ford and Ford being the robot that evolved beyond human need and killed Arnold.

Won't be what really happens, but it's my off the wall crazy guess.
gumby579
AG
Not sure if this was brought up but in the picture of Arnold and Ford is the reason for the large space on the right because Bernard couldn't see himself? Ford did say that "they can't see the things that hurt them" or something to that effect when Bernard had the blueprint of himself.
Dro07
AG
It was brought up like 4 pages ago. Cleared up the confusion of Fords dad in the picture and Bernard being confused and asking if he was Arnold
heisatouchdown
AG
Question as I remember skimming through some posts on here a few weeks ago. What tipped everyone in thinking Bernard was a host before the reveal this week? Previews for upcoming weeks or people being really good at sleuthing?
TCTTS
AG
Speculation starts on page 16 of the thread. Was first brought up in a podcast I listened to, which is linked to in my post. Can't remember the exact details, though.
The White Wolf
claym711 said:

When thinking about the potential of Ford being a host, it is very interesting in respect to the conversation in the cantina between Ford and the MiB. If Ford is a host, the MiB definitely knows it. He immediately knows who he is and calls him Robert. He also mentions saving the park thirty years ago and it's obviously not their first meeting. Where it becomes interesting is when the MiB pulls out his knife and threatens "to open him up and see what he'll find" - Now this is so intriguing because we either have the MiB threatening to kill another man, or we have him basically doing the same thing he did to Kissy and Lawrence. And definitely with his ability to almost control all the hosts sometimes without even voice commands, it raises question to how he does it. But they are his creation and it's not too outlandish to think he can control them simply with gestures.

Now I don't personally think he is a host, but I think that scene would stick out clearly as the most evidence in all the past episodes. I also think it is interesting because it is safe to say Ford is intrigued by the maze as well. It was Arnold's creation, and it was designed for the hosts; but in episode 6, Ford came across the maze carved into the table where the men were playing dominoes, and he was perplexed and intrigued. Immediately afterwards, he goes back and references Arnold's old notebook and flips to the page about the maze. It would be interesting if it turned into 3 people on the journey through the maze (Dolores, MiB, and Ford).
The White Wolf
Yeah I was on board with this idea as well as many others. Where I became 100% on board was the third episode of the season. In this episode they harped on how important the backstories were to the host and how they were the most vital component to making the hosts seem more real. And in the same breath, they fully unveiled Bernard's backstory with his son. In such a well written show, there are no coincidences. That mixed with the obvious fact that at least one character we thought was human was going to end up being a host.
bangobango
AG
AgLiving06 said:

claym711 said:

I know it won't be true, but I could see Arnold being the human that created Ford and Ford being the robot that evolved beyond human need and killed Arnold.

Won't be what really happens, but it's my off the wall crazy guess.

Don't did that all that crazy, tbh.
mazag08
AG
Want to really have your mind blown??

The last episode of the season will play out and have many surprises for us. Some we though of, some we didn't.. but we will all be intensely satisfied.

Then, as the camera pans out, we get one last scene with Ford putting the lasting touches on his new narrative.. which isn't a narrative, but an entirely new world.. called..

Westoros

Begin speculation on which GOT character are robots and which are guests.
YellowPot_97
AG
This was the first time w've seen a host actually kill a person.
bobinator
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

This was the first time w've seen a host actually kill a person.
Yes, but not willingly. Which is important.

Without blatantly lying to the audience, Ford can't be a host. We've seen him age from flashbacks when he was working in the park. He's the only character in the entire show we've seen age.

Now, you could explain that away with different bodies, or that he only thinks he's younger in flashbacks but he's actually the same age the entire time, or whatever, but him being a host would be kind of annoying.

I already don't love that Bernard is one, but it was pretty obvious after how bizarre their conversations were.
Mathguy64
AG
The discover westworld website has some interesting nuggets. In the "terms of service" for Delos it says cannot be held accountable for injuries and loss of limbs and IIRC it mentions that deaths have occurred and it's your own fault if you die.
BowSowy
AG
I don't think that's necessarily foreshadowing hosts' ability to kill visitors. Visitors could easily die in westworld independent of hosts.
3rdGen2015
AG
Yeah, like from tumbleweeds
LHIOB
AG
They could fall off a cliff or fall off a horse. Get drunk and drown in the river. Lots of ways to die by being stupid.
MGS
...another guest could gut you for interrupting his vacation.
Saxsoon
AG
LHIOB said:

They could fall off a cliff or fall off a horse. Get drunk and drown in the river. Lots of ways to die by being stupid.
I thought the nitroglycerin explosion would be an incredibly easy way to get killed or at least maimed
Mr_mo8268
AG
Great show. Great thread.
Cynical_Texan
AG
Marsuvees said:

LHIOB said:

I thought the nitroglycerin explosion would be an incredibly easy way to get killed or at least maimed
I thought the park had to give the "ok" for any fireworks like the nitro explosions. The MiB had to ok it with the park before he used the cigar to bust out.

But if the nitro were in the past like some theorize then maybe not...
Raptor
AG
mazag08 said:

Want to really have your mind blown??

The last episode of the season will play out and have many surprises for us. Some we though of, some we didn't.. but we will all be intensely satisfied.

Then, as the camera pans out, we get one last scene with Ford putting the lasting touches on his new narrative.. which isn't a narrative, but an entirely new world.. called..

Westoros

Begin speculation on which GOT character are robots and which are guests.

Well, the kids all age, so they can't be robots...unless, Ford found a way to make them age.

If he did, then can someone please alter Rickon's dexterity and escape planning to at least 14. How do you not ZIG ZAG?
M.C. Swag
AG
Well Jon Snow is clearly a host. Re-animated and everything.
bangobango
AG
LHIOB said:

yeah, seems they'd have a lot of deaths and serious injures just from horses getting shot out from under the guests.
R0GUE
AG
I don't understand how a robot firing a Gatling gun blindly at a boxcar is supposed to be able to avoid hurting real people.
Al Bula
AG
R0GUE said:

I don't understand how a robot firing a Gatling gun blindly at a boxcar is supposed to be able to avoid hurting real people.
So you're cool with a far-future theme park populated with sexbots and wild west outlawbots, but you're hung up on weaponry programmed to avoid killing humans?

Got it.
bobinator
AG
I'm assuming that the "nitro" and Lawrence were both programmed not to cause that explosion until no humans were in range of the blast.

If people could just set off nitro blasts left and right there'd be all sorts of casualties.
Dro07
AG
R0GUE said:

They can still get "shot" but it doesn't hurt them. William was shot before but it was like a rubber bullet when it hit him.
The White Wolf
bobinator said:

I'm assuming that the "nitro" and Lawrence were both programmed not to cause that explosion until no humans were in range of the blast.

If people could just set off nitro blasts left and right there'd be all sorts of casualties.
Yeah that part had me wondering too. I don't know if they can control the explosives themselves, but maybe just the ability of hosts to engage the explosives. Such as, maybe they had detected the explosives inside the cigars and what they were allowing was the host to set the explosives off, not controlling whether or not explosives could go off...

And same instance with the shooting of Slim, they probably just saw that he was safe distance from humans and okayed the shooting of his body. What's interesting about that loop though is if it plays out like that every time, I assume they would have to completely recreate Slim for every reset. That was as full on explosion, I don't see how they could patch him up. Just kind of interesting to think about.
Dro07
AG
I am thinking that the explosives issue was reconciled in time. If we are going with the concurrent timelines then the william timeline could be a place where this isn't an issue yet and in the Mib timeline the issue has already passed have become more stringent.
Breggy Popup
AG
MiB set off one of the cigar explosives.
Serious Lee
bangobango said:

LHIOB said:

yeah, seems they'd have a lot of deaths and serious injures just from horses getting shot out from under the guests.
also, have they shown humans from different parties interacting yet? seems inevitable that guests will meet as enemies in their quests and kill each other, or has the issue of guest vs guest mortality already been addressed?
LHIOB
AG
If we are going to agree to the multiple timelines then the MiB had to get permission but that would be in present day. William and Logan are in the early days of the park. Maybe a guest is killed (Logan?) and thats what triggers the safety measures. They say its been 30 years since their lat issue. Maybe the issue was the nitro blowing the crap out of a bunch of guests.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.