*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

348,521 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
Btron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I see Delores starting to move through Westworld like Neo in the Matrix. She can now see what is about to happen before it happens and easily defeat other hosts. Will she harm guests is my question? I think, yes.
That or is it more like Groundhogs Day? Were she is stuck in her loop and over time learns when to not get shot, get on the horse, hosts to avoid, etc...
I took her "glitches" as more Groundhog Day than some demi god.
MW03
AG
Greeze06 said:

How did creepy host wake up when he was getting his head sawed off? And why was he cutting his head off?
he was tying to get to the "control unit" I think
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Btron said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

I see Delores starting to move through Westworld like Neo in the Matrix. She can now see what is about to happen before it happens and easily defeat other hosts. Will she harm guests is my question? I think, yes.
That or is it more like Groundhogs Day? Were she is stuck in her loop and over time learns when to not get shot, get on the horse, hosts to avoid, etc...

Seeing how awesome Groundhog Day is, this concept would make me very happy.
Raptor
AG
Btron said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

I see it as a mix between 50 First Dates, The Matrix and Groundhog Day.

The same day is repeating over and over and before the "glitch/virus" they couldn't remember. Now they're started to remember and also learn from mistakes.

As far as the waking up, I think Maeve "woke up" as well in E2. I think the Doctor did put her in sleep mode, but she's got a self-defense mechanism that woke her up.
LHIOB
AG
I agree that we were seeing several different days for Delores. She is becoming self aware and keeping her memories.
Really???
Greeze06 said:

How did creepy host wake up when he was getting his head sawed off? And why was he cutting his head off?
IIRC when they get too damaged they just shove their head on a new body.
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

is it more like Groundhog Day
Excellent analogy. And I love Groundhog Day.
Mulberrywildman
AG
Maybe I was tired, but didn't Teddy swipe at a fly when they came across the bodies tied to the trees? That would be another very subtle, but big denotation to the turning of the hosts behavior. Apologies if this has been brought up already.
homebuildingag
AG
Noticed that too. Hosts shouldn't flinch at a fly.
Centerpole90
AG
Ford says the second thing that Arnold did not account for in his original programming was 'the other group who considered their thoughts to be the voices of the Gods.' Bernard answers "lunatics" and then Ford replies...

"Indeed. We abandoned the approach. The only vestiges that remain are the voice commands we use to control them."

I think there are more vestiges remaining.
aTmLoKi
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Ford says the second thing that Arnold did not account for in his original programming was 'the other group who considered their thoughts to be the voices of the Gods.' Bernard answers "lunatics" and then Ford replies...

"Indeed. We abandoned the approach. The only vestiges that remain are the voice commands we use to control them."

I think there are more vestiges remaining.
So when should we expect the hot air balloon to land in the town with a man named Henry Gale inside of it?
amercer
AG
Unless I really missed something, I think this episode put to rest the MIB alternate timeline. I was convinced of it until the flashback in the barn, but if she walks to the campfire after that then it doesn't make sense.
3rdGen2015
AG
These are always hilarious.

http://imgur.com/a/9wtjD
jabberwalkie09
AG
Not sure if the second episode tl;dw was posted, but here it is anyways.

http://imgur.com/a/x7b6c

Here's my favorite of the lot:

amercer
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Not sure if the second episode tl;dw was posted, but here it is anyways.

http://imgur.com/a/x7b6c

Here's my favorite of the lot:

YellowPot_97
AG
could the MIB actually be the bad program that's infecting the host?
MrPlow2010
AG
I think he is a human. I thought in an earlier episode he was in a shootout and the controllers said leave him alone. He's been coming for years. I could be mistaken though.
Greeze06
AG
Not sure if he's human because he was shot a ton so far and it did nothing.
bobinator
AG
I need to rewatch this one again, but it certainly looks like Delores' "mind" is shifting between timelines and she can't control it.

In fact, until the last scene, this episode almost looked like it was running backwards for her. She digs up a gun, then she has a gun in her dresser, then she pulls the gun off of the outlaw guy. Seems like the natural order would have been, get the gun, hide it in the house, bury the evidence. To be fair, I didn't notice the details enough to see if this is the same gun, but I assume it is.

Like someone else already said, I think the one committing suicide was its core code saying it couldn't kill a human and overriding whatever part of the code was going haywire.

A few things that jumped out at me:

The part that I was thrown by was the flies around the bodies. Do the bodies actually decompose?

When Rebus said "your boyfriend isn't here to protect you this time," or something to that effect, he was referencing the meeting in the street from earlier in the day, but it seemed to trigger Delores realizing she's gone through this many times before. I just thought that was weird.

I didn't pay enough attention, but I wonder if in regards to Wyatt's men, if only guests can shoot them. I couldn't tell if the girl with them hit any of them or not, but that would be an interesting narrative twist in the park if the hosts could only help you up to a certain point, then you're on your own.
jbanda
AG
Went back and watched the first episode.

SIAP. I thought old bill looked familiar. Michael Wincott.

Top Dollar from the Crow.

Guy of Gisborne from Prince of Thieves.

Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

In fact, until the last scene, this episode almost looked like it was running backwards for her. She digs up a gun, then she has a gun in her dresser, then she pulls the gun off of the outlaw guy. Seems like the natural order would have been, get the gun, hide it in the house, bury the evidence. To be fair, I didn't notice the details enough to see if this is the same gun, but I assume it is.

Hadn't thought about it like that but I think you are right. The real timeline is she takes the gun from lambchops, kills him, buries his gun and later digs it back up.

The timelines are completely messed up and all over the place.
LHIOB
AG
AMAZING CATCH!

He was really good in his small role
LHIOB
AG
I saw someone make a prediction that Stubbs in a Host. he has made some jokes about his programming and the Host attacked him while it would not attack Elsie.

zgood10
AG
jbanda said:

Went back and watched the first episode.

SIAP. I thought old bill looked familiar. Michael Wincott.

Top Dollar from the Crow.

Guy of Gisborne from Prince of Thieves.

The sheriff's cousin!
bobinator
AG
LHIOB said:

I saw someone make a prediction that Stubbs in a Host. he has made some jokes about his programming and the Host attacked him while it would not attack Elsie.

It didn't really "attack him" though in the sense that that is was sort of self defense. That's why I think this scene is interesting. The host probably could have killed him, but didn't, it just climbed out of the hole. And when it tried to attack someone its core code kicked in and it couldn't.

The hosts have to have some ability to fight the guests hand-to-hand, otherwise fighting would be pretty boring if you were a guest. And we already saw that them shooting a guest is painful, it just doesn't kill them.
3rdGen2015
AG
bobinator said:

That's something straight out of Memento right there. Props for coming up with a real theory that I haven't even seen on Reddit.
MW03
AG
bobinator said:

I need to rewatch this one again, but it certainly looks like Delores' "mind" is shifting between timelines and she can't control it.

techno-ag
AG
civilized05 said:

proc said:

OldArmy71 said:

Speaking of Delores shooting the revolver, I wonder what time period in the Old West this is supposed to be? Everyone seems to have single action revolvers, which means she would have had to cock the gun to shoot it. She does not cock it, yet it fires.
When Teddy was trying to teach her to shoot, she had her thumbs on the same sides as her index fingers. Had she fired it, that hand cannon would have flown right back into her chin.
I was honestly waiting for that to happen.

The Wild West had double action revolvers starting around 1877 or so, when Colt introduced them. They weren't considered as accurate when firing double action because of the heavier trigger pull needed to work the action. But certainly if it's supposed to be set in the 1880s or so, a DA revolver would not at all be out of place.
MGS
Well, it's set in a fictional wild west, so there's really nothing wrong with an anachronism or two. And since those guns are fake, perhaps they go off whether or not the hammer is cocked.
wangus12
AG
MW03 said:

bobinator said:

Pretty much one of the greatest movies ever made
bobinator
AG
One thing I haven't seen talked about much is the exploration of when exactly a host has reached "consciousness."

We haven't seen anything to indicate that the feelings the hosts display during their narratives aren't real, it's just that they get wiped clean at the end of each cycle. A process that Delores has somehow figured out how to circumvent. Yet humans with conditions that cause them not be able to form new memories aren't considered not-human.

Anyway, that doesn't really have a big impact on the plot or anything at this point, just something I've been thinking about with regards to this show.
MW03
AG
I think that's the point of the interaction between Dr. Ford and the tech that had covered up the host. Dr. Ford would tell you exactly that their feelings aren't real within the narratives because "they only feel what we tell them to feel" or whatever he said.

I started out thinking Dr. Ford was going to be the driving force behind experimenting with true sentient AI, but now he seems to be another John Hammond trope all too convinced in his own creations. Bernard seems to be the engine, putting Delores back in the system to see where her evolution leads them. I suppose he could be a host as well, working at Dr. Ford's behest to do exactly that to the system, but I doubt that very much.

What I'm wondering now is whether that phrase that Abernathy told Delores ("These violent delights have violent ends") was actually a control phrase implanted by Arnold masquerading as a Shakespeare quote. Abernathy uses that phrase on Delores, and she goes looney. Delores uses that phrase on Maeve, and now she's starting to go looney. Maybe that hidden control phrase is the virus the techs were discussing that went uncured while they treated the symptoms (removing the host from circulation). Doesn't explain the milk hole guy and the head smasher guy, though.

bobinator
AG
MW03 said:

I think that's the point of the interaction between Dr. Ford and the tech that had covered up the host. Dr. Ford would tell you exactly that their feelings aren't real within the narratives because "they only feel what we tell them to feel" or whatever he said.
He says they aren't real, but they seem to be pretty real to the hosts.
mavsfan4ever
AG
bobinator said:

Like someone else already said, I think the one committing suicide was its core code saying it couldn't kill a human and overriding whatever part of the code was going haywire.

A few things that jumped out at me:

The part that I was thrown by was the flies around the bodies. Do the bodies actually decompose?

When Rebus said "your boyfriend isn't here to protect you this time," or something to that effect, he was referencing the meeting in the street from earlier in the day, but it seemed to trigger Delores realizing she's gone through this many times before. I just thought that was weird.

I didn't pay enough attention, but I wonder if in regards to Wyatt's men, if only guests can shoot them. I couldn't tell if the girl with them hit any of them or not, but that would be an interesting narrative twist in the park if the hosts could only help you up to a certain point, then you're on your own.
With regards to Delores, there were a few times where there would be a "glitch" in the screen and then something would change. I initially thought it was letting the viewer know that the timeline was changing or something, but then I wasn't quite sure.

But maybe it was letting us know that something was out of whack?
schmendeler
AG
bobinator said:

MW03 said:

He says they aren't real, but they seem to be pretty real to the hosts.
Ford says that after the first year, their hosts were passing turing tests. so, if a human being can't tell the emotions aren't real, who's to say they aren't?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.