*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

351,635 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keep in mind that this world seems set pretty far in the future. They'd have to have a way of issuing weapons that only hurt hosts, right? Otherwise, you run the risk of your guests shooting other guests if they mistake them for hosts. That seems like a pretty big issue.

They also set up "across the river" as being "too adult" for the little boy that confronted Delores at the river, so what's going on over there?

As for there being a host in the operations center, I think that's a guarantee. It seemed to me like the hard ass management lady was dismissed too easily by Ford when he was interviewing Abernathy. Maybe she's a fake.
jabberwalkie09
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Quote:

- Resetting the narrative everyday seems too short. I'd like to go on a week long cattle drive with my robot friends.
I think that some characters may have longer arcs (like the posse hunting the outlaws). It also may be that the characters reset each morning if and only if they haven't been "diverted." i.e. if you grab Marsden and have him act as your group's guide, he won't be available to wake up on the train the next morning. That would mean Dolores would spend the afternoon painting by the river.
This is actually something that didn't make much sense to me given what we were shown in the premier. The narrative writer guy mentioned he advanced Escotan's going to the city by a week, but everything that we saw was on daily restart. How much time passed from Teddy (Marsden) going from taking the guys at the ***** house to when his loop reset wasn't clear to me IMO.
Al Bula
AG
Who has the unlucky job of pumping jizz out of the robots everyday?
amercer
AG
I think we saw the underling themes in two scenes. The Brit "showrunner" guy was kind of talking to the audience, IMO, when he said it would be easier if they looked less real. That's the tension in the Ed Harris scenes after all.

Then you have Hopkins admitting more or less that he wants to play god, make them as real as possible, and potentially replace humans who have reached an evolutionary dead end.
3rdGen2015
AG
I'll definitely keep watching. I love the theory posted earlier about Delores being modeled after Hopkins' character's wife.

Here's another theory for you: so we know that management has a secret agenda of some sort. What if Ed Harris is part of management? What if the "game" he's trying to play is just a game of power struggle and that he's trying to figure out what the programmers are up to?
MW03
AG
Delores is also the oldest unit in the park, right? Maybe her story arc is short as a byproduct.

Also, just to get it out of the way...

tk for tu juan
M.C. Swag said:

• What happened to the 'warehouse' area where all the faulty robots are stored? (Looks like a set piece from the video game Doom)

Yeah the skin tone of the stored robots and condition of the surrounding set looked like an undead apocalypse setup, maybe part of the horror scene that the dad was originally apart of
LHIOB
AG
Ed Harris tells Teddy that the hosts cannot hurt the guests. he also mentions that he has been doing this for 30 years and asks Delores if she remembers him.

I thought the action was pretty great. The guy getting his face shot out and the guest killing the bandit were really well done.

I went to look for a Westworld recap podcast this morning and found a ton. Anyone have one they would like to suggest?
3rdGen2015
AG
LHIOB said:

Ed Harris tells Teddy that the hosts cannot hurt the guests. he also mentions that he has been doing this for 30 years and asks Delores if she remembers him.

I thought the action was pretty great. The guy getting his face shot out and the guest killing the bandit were really well done.

I went to look for a Westworld recap podcast this morning and found a ton. Anyone have one they would like to suggest?
Does the Ringer have one? I might give that a shot if they do, I think their GoT podcast is supposed to be pretty good.
bobinator
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

This is actually something that didn't make much sense to me given what we were shown in the premier. The narrative writer guy mentioned he advanced Escotan's going to the city by a week, but everything that we saw was on daily restart. How much time passed from Teddy (Marsden) going from taking the guys at the ***** house to when his loop reset wasn't clear to me IMO.

As other people have pointed out, I think certain hosts are on different timelines than others. Some story arcs play out every day, others potentially could go on for several days if humans are interacting with them I imagine. There's probably different fees for different stays at the park. Some people might go for a day or two, maybe others for long stretches of time so they do more in-depth storylines.

I'm interested in exactly how much information the controllers have from the park. Like, can they only tell when something major goes awry like the bar shooting? Are they always tracking every host?

Also, is there some sort of governing AI? Like, as the hosts become more aware, is there an overarcing system that is also becoming aware?

All things I can't wait to see.

bobinator
AG
The Ringer usually has really good HBO stuff since HBO is an investor.

Their "fembot" thinkpiece made me roll my eyes this morning though.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Came here to also rave about the automatic piano. It's my new favorite TV "character"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MGS
ramblin_ag02 said:

Came here to also rave about the automatic piano. It's my new favorite TV "character"
When you think about it, the player piano is just a very primitive programmable robot.
3rdGen2015
AG
Alright, so let's talk about flies. What is the purpose of the flies in the show? We saw that the Sheriff broke down when a fly landed on him (possibly because he couldn't hurt a living object?), we saw a fly in the opening sequence, and we saw Delores kill a fly at the very end of the episode.

In my mind, the flies could mean two things:
1. They are a visual representation of a perfect world becoming imperfect (ie a bug in the system/AI)
2. They represent a simple living creature that most humans wouldn't think twice about killing, and that is one big thing that separates the hosts from the guests. Until Delores shows that she can kill one.
Forum Troll
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

Alright, so let's talk about flies. What is the purpose of the flies in the show? We saw that the Sheriff broke down when a fly landed on him (possibly because he couldn't hurt a living object?), we saw a fly in the opening sequence, and we saw Delores kill a fly at the very end of the episode.

1. They are a visual representation of a perfect world becoming imperfect (ie a bug in the system/AI)
2. They represent a simple living creature that most humans wouldn't think twice about killing, and that is one big thing that separates the hosts from the guests. Until Delores shows that she can kill one.

I think they're just symbolism for a bug in the system.
LHIOB
AG
Both Delores and Teddy had flys on them and its a normal human reaction to swat them away but as robots they aren't bothered by them. In her interview she is asked if she could hurt something and she says that she couldn't kill a fly. Then we see her after waking up. She looks a little different and she is starting to comprehend whats going on. Killing the fly shows she's changing.
MW03
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

I think you nailed both intended meanings.
amercer
AG
During the interview with the father, at one point did he say his name was "Rose" ? Maybe I misheard that part, but it make me think about if the hosts could be hacked? Might be an alternative to the plot just being that they are becoming self aware by accessing all their old programming.
amercer
AG
Also, why do they get lobotomized to be decommissioned? Is it possible they are more biological than mechanical?
easttexasaggie04
AG
If I were to go into this western reality I would be scared to death of all the robots. Too many terminator style movies on my mind.
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

Excellent points.

I would add that the flies could represent how the robots appear to humans. From Shakespeare's King Lear:

Quote:

As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport.

easttexasaggie04
AG
Did anybody else notice the dad robot crying as he went into the warehouse? Also, what did that dude whisper to it? Some secret plan to start a revolution?
bobinator
AG
amercer said:

During the interview with the father, at one point did he say his name was "Rose" ? Maybe I misheard that part, but it make me think about if the hosts could be hacked? Might be an alternative to the plot just being that they are becoming self aware by accessing all their old programming.
It's a Gertrude Stein quote, one of several quotes he threw out there mostly dealing with the nature of things.

I think don't think the flies are necessarily supposed to represent bugs in the system, but their prevalence throughout this episode was a good reminder how something small could be a harbinger of something much bigger. Reminded me of the fly episode of Breaking Bad a little bit.

Also, like you said, they used it to show her overriding her "core code."
gumby579
AG
I know the man in black (Harris' character) mentioned that the hosts couldn't hurt the visitors but is it possible he is a rogue host that altered his programming? Or am I just reading too much into the matrix....
amercer
AG
"What is your name? Rose is a rose... is a rose."

Found it. Sadly my cable decided to glitch a couple times during that last interview scene.

This site is awesome though:

http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=738&t=28857

TCTTS
AG
In the movie the "Man in Black" was the rogue robot villain played by Yul Brynner. The big pivot/twist with the show is that he's a human this go around, which is a pretty cool conceit. So I don't think they're going to go back on that and be like, "Gotcha... he's really exactly who he was in the movie." Seems super underwhelming. I think he'll definitely "stay" human in this iteration.
bobinator
AG
That was sort of why I posted the question of how much the "watchers" are really monitoring. Do they know it the instant a machine goes haywire, or can they only monitor the events that are taking place? So if a host starts going rogue, but isn't doing anything out of the ordinary to affect the goings on in the park, do they know?

It would appear that they don't know (since our main character has overridden her core code) or that (at least some of) the hosts have figured out a way to make it so they don't know. She lied to their faces in the "real" world, and they couldn't tell as far as we know.

I do wonder if this is going to have a bit of a "Battlestar Galactica" feel to it where basically anyone could be a machine throughout the show and one of the big over-arcing questions is whether or not that really matters.
OldArmy71
AG
Thanks for the transcript. The father's lines at the end come from King Lear, just like the "flies to wanton boys" line I referenced earlier.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

jabberwalkie09
AG
bobinator said:

I do wonder if this is going to have a bit of a "Battlestar Galactica" feel to it where basically anyone could be a machine throughout the show and one of the big over-arcing questions is whether or not that really matters.
God I hope not. That was one of the worst things about BSG. The whole "Am I a Cylon?!" with Baltar and then the reveal of the final five was just ugh... Especially when they brought back Ellen (who I will agree, was great) but just completely negated anything about Tigh's choice on New Caprica.
wangus12
AG
retribution_ag said:

And the ethnic diversity of the cast!!! Strong roles for the women as well!!!!
**** definitely not gonna watch it now
BassCowboy33
MW03 said:

Keep in mind that this world seems set pretty far in the future. They'd have to have a way of issuing weapons that only hurt hosts, right? Otherwise, you run the risk of your guests shooting other guests if they mistake them for hosts. That seems like a pretty big issue.

They also set up "across the river" as being "too adult" for the little boy that confronted Delores at the river, so what's going on over there?

As for there being a host in the operations center, I think that's a guarantee. It seemed to me like the hard ass management lady was dismissed too easily by Ford when he was interviewing Abernathy. Maybe she's a fake.

It addresses the issue of guns at the very beginning when Marsden kept trying to shoot Ed Harris.
TelcoAg
AG
RPM said:

Who has the unlucky job of pumping jizz out of the robots everyday?
Same guy that cleans the couches now

amercer
AG
I'm still not clear on the mechanics of it. Clearly the hosts are programmed not to shoot people, but if they are firing real bullets, that shootout in front of the saloon would still be real dangerous for the guests. Maybe all the guns fire blanks, but the hosts are full of little explosive packs? That seems a little dicey too though, should one go off at a delicate moment...
BassCowboy33
amercer said:

I'm still not clear on the mechanics of it. Clearly the hosts are programmed not to shoot people, but if they are firing real bullets, that shootout in front of the saloon would still be real dangerous for the guests. Maybe all the guns fire blanks, but the hosts are full of little explosive packs? That seems a little dicey too though, should one go off at a delicate moment...

The gun Marsden fires kills the other robot/dude/things, but doesn't hurt Harris. I imagine it's some type of programmed weapon. You can see the "bullets" hit Harris as well. They just don't hurt him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.