*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

351,664 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
bangobango
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Count Counterpoint said:

Regarding the two timelines being an unnecessary trick...
How often would writers have a chance to tell a story where some of the characters never age and set it in a time period that will never change because it is modeled after the wild west? Nothing sets up more perfectly for a "two timeline fakeout" than that, so as a writer that would be hard to resist.

Good point.
WestAustinAg
AG
bobinator said:

I said I was afraid of a Battlestar Gallactica situation all the way back on page 4. That's the one thing I don't particularly care for is trying to figure out which people outside the park might not be real, but it's not a big deal.
What happened on Battlestar Gallactica? I saw the tv series as a kid but don't remember anything remotely similar to WW. Was this in a book series or something unrelated to the tv show?
spanky
AG
Wait, what?
jabberwalkie09
AG
WestAustinAg said:

bobinator said:

I said I was afraid of a Battlestar Gallactica situation all the way back on page 4. That's the one thing I don't particularly care for is trying to figure out which people outside the park might not be real, but it's not a big deal.
What happened on Battlestar Gallactica? I saw the tv series as a kid but don't remember anything remotely similar to WW. Was this in a book series or something unrelated to the tv show?
It's a reference to the reimagined BSG series where finding out who the final five models (spoiler tagged names) Galen Tyrol, Saul Tigh, Ellen Tigh, Tory Foster, and Samuel Anders was a big part of the plot in the last couple of seasons. The problem was that not even the Cylons save for one model 3 Diana knew who the final five were, but they held a pretty important part of information for the journey. All of them collectively, but one in particular. So you spent half a season, at least, of everyone wondering if they were a Cylon or not.
chipotle
Loved the music and the walkthrough up stairs
RadAg14
AG
Watched the first 4 episodes tonight. Amazing
bobinator
AG
RadAg14 said:

Watched the first 4 episodes tonight. Amazing
Sorry but that's not how this thread works. We're going to need 1200 words fleshing out your stances on the following:

The two timeline/Williams is the MiB theory
Who/what is Arnold?
What's up with Lee Sizemore and Theresa?
Is Bernard a host? (Are other people outside the park hosts?)
Black hat, or white hat?
Baskin
AG
And lastly, do you believe Mike was going to shoot Jesse when they were fleeing the cartel leader's house in Mexico?
The White Wolf
haha great post. I like because you included "what's up with Lee Sizemore and Theresa" - let's do just that...

I flipped through HBO the other night while the subs were left on from another show, and I noticed something that stood out in the scene by the pool with these two. When he makes the comment on how he poured his life into his work and it was his "truth in one transcendent narrative." Theresa then makes reference to what he called the "whoroborus." This was a part of Sizemore's Odyssey on Red River back in episode 2 that Ford rejected. This being a play on words with the ouroboros (a snake consuming itself) which symbolizes the cycle of nature, creation and destruction, life and death.

Where I find this interesting is how: 1. That obviously seems to be one of the general themes greatly touched on in this show. 2. Does this not fit perfectly with what is going on with Maeve right now...

Now we know that Sizemore's narrative was scrapped and shut down by Ford, but was it entirely? I don't have the graphics but it can be seen in episode 4 when Theresa is meeting with Ford that he has used all the hosts from Sizemore's new narrative as essentially slaves in building his new narrative. Much like he's using some of the hosts from the narrative Sizemore made, perhaps he's also using some of the ideas he had as well. The "whoroborus" being one of them, and specifically in reference to Maeve. Now there is no evidence that Ford has done this to Maeve, but there is evidence that someone did. When the two butchers are going into Maeve's personality calibration, they make notice of the fact that someone has already gone in and adjusted her traits (specifically making note of paranoia, self-preservation); these alterations which can be credited to her beginning her discovery of being a host.

The reference to the whoroborus/ouroboros might just be a small thing, but I think connections can definitely be made in general with the symbol and the philosophy built around it, especially when considering Maeve's storyline. Plus, just the play on words itself is something very interesting.
bobinator
AG
That whole pool scene was a little weird.

But I think we're supposed to interpret that it's Arnold/Bernard who's been tinkering with the hosts secretly, and either Ford doesn't know, or he's behind the whole thing.

When he interviewed Dolores and the young host version of himself, he could have been testing them to see if they would lie, or he really might not know what's going on.
RadAg14
AG
bobinator said:

Sorry but that's not how this thread works. We're going to need 1200 words fleshing out your stances on the following:

The two timeline/Williams is the MiB theory
Who/what is Arnold?
What's up with Lee Sizemore and Theresa?
Is Bernard a host? (Are other people outside the park hosts?)
Black hat, or white hat?

Am I doing something wrong?
claym711
AG
Ford knows and controls everything in this world (except human actions). I've been under the assumption that he knows exactly what Bernard and Delores are up to at all times.
amercer
AG
Yeah, but Ford might be insane, or a robot, or an insane robot...

So it's possible some things are getting by him.
claym711
AG
True. He didn't know that the boy killed the dog
claym711
AG
Really hope this show doesn't turn into some political statement. Maeve (young black woman) vs MIB or Ford (old white man).
TCTTS
AG
There's zero evidence of anything like that coming to fruition. Please don't start looking for political reasons to be offended by this show.
Stive
AG
Oh geeze.....

Talk about reaching for crap to worry about.
irish pete ag06
AG
Host Lives Matter
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This show has quickly become one of the things I look most forward to each weekend. Especially with the implosion of Aggie football.
JAggie2007
AG
Bunk Moreland
Corny as **** so far until the "presentation" scene.
AgLiving06
OMG
h1ag
AG
well there's that.
amercer
AG
Oh damn
M.C. Swag
AG
So Ford can kill anyone and replace them with a host.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
As soon as Bernard said he needed to show her something I knew she was dead.

And then when Bernard said "what door?"

***** So awesome. Hopkins just plays evil so well
Bunk Moreland
Good ending. The rest of the episode was pretty Meh, and somewhat annoying.
amercer
AG
So did he actually put Arnold's mind into Bernard?
mhayden
free_mhayden said:

I still don't think the picture of Ford and "Arnold" should be taken at face value. There is just no way they would have a prop that has a picture of two men and then just a big ole space off to the right.

There's a third person in that picture, we (Bernard) just can't see them -- just like Delores couldn't see New York City in the picture.

Boom.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That episode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What is Bernard was a real person at one time? Could Ford be building a host version of this lady?
AgLiving06
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What is Bernard was a real person at one time? Could Ford be building a host version of this lady?

That's what I'm assuming.
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yes and yes. I feel like both are obvious conclusions to draw based off that ending.

We're going to see host Theresa soon.
mhayden
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I would originally have assumed that, but it shows in next week's preview them looking at the body with others.
JJxvi
AG
Bernard is a recreation of Arnold

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.