*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

348,528 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
85aggie777
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, on that same subject, is it possible William & Logan are kind of a recreation of the characters played by James Brolin & Richard Benjamin in the 70s version so it bears some resemblance to Michael Crichton's original work? Maybe they are now re-imagined for the current series with the two-timeline twist.
TCTTS
AG
Nothing. They've already shown hosts that have (presumably) spanned 30+ years.
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

Ok, I lied. I HAD to go back and look after you said that, and that is most definitely NOT Ford at the top of the steps. I paused and examined every conceivable shot and this is the only one where someone could MAYBE be mistaken for Ford, and it's just not him. Not the same walk, not the same body type, not the same person. That, and it's such an incredibly brief/random shot.

I swear, the more people argue against the two-timeline theory, the more convinced I am of it...

Seriously, I want to know how badly Elon Musk ****ed up his marriage to the "deadly sexbot" to know how to avoid it in the future.
mhayden
Biggest "hrmmmm" this episode was that we now know for certain Ford is lying about the Arnold situation in some way (or very much mis-directing).

The picture he shows (supposedly of him and Arnold long ago) has him with the same person that was in his "family" home, playing his father (who did not know who Arnold was).

One theory floating about, based on how oddly framed that photo is, is that there is a 3rd person in the picture, but the person looking at it (Bernard) just can't see it... because it would look just like him, as he's a host made in the likeness of Arnold.
Teacher_Ag
AG
I knew I'd seen Teddy holding a pistol in something else before.

He was JWB in the Zoolander sequence explaining how the fashion industry was behind all major political assassinations.

NoHo Hank
AG
So I saw something last night that makes me think the to timeline Theory could actually be right. When Bernard logs on to the old computer, the logo is the old logo. I don't think that is a coincidence. I still don't think William is the mib but I guess we will see. I will be curious to see how the handle this moving forward. Two timelines seems to pigeon hole them in season 2 and beyond. I wonder if we will be dealing with whole new guests.
BassCowboy33
john32f said:

So I saw something last night that makes me think the to timeline Theory could actually be right. When Bernard logs on to the old computer, the logo is the old logo. I don't think that is a coincidence. I still don't think William is the mib but I guess we will see. I will be curious to see how the handle this moving forward. Two timelines seems to pigeon hole them in season 2 and beyond. I wonder if we will be dealing with whole new guests.

From what I understand there are more "worlds" than just Westworld as well.
OldArmy71
AG
Given how much has been said about how hosts are often repurposed, it just struck me as odd that they would use the same host in the same role for 30 years.
AliasMan02
AG
I've thought about this, too. I don't think there are currently other worlds, but I think it's possible in future seasons that additional parks may open.
NoHo Hank
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I've thought about this, too. I don't think there are currently other worlds, but I think it's possible in future seasons that additional parks may open.
So that was my thought, but if **** hits the fan, I'm not sure how they could maintain the other parks on the same premise. I think we're not going to see a full charlie foxtrot this season.
AgLiving06
Besides adding mystery, have they explained why the lower levels are so dark?
techno-ag
AG
I bet they were abandoned and closed to all but authorized personnel after the park catastrophe 30 odd years ago.
Breggy Popup
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Besides adding mystery, have they explained why the lower levels are so dark?

Cost savings? Why keep floors lit that people are not regularly present on? They also seem to not dedicate resources for repairs (livestock management has bigger priorities than fixing the cooling system).
Complete Idiot
The blurry host seen in background of abandoned level was clearly meant to look like Yul Bryner from the 1973 film. He had a very specific way of standing and the host was in that pose. I think it was just an Easter Egg and doubt the events in that film will be tied to this series.
techno-ag
AG
Yeah I thought his face was blurred so they wouldn't have to pay for the rights to show his representation. But it was pretty obvious that they meant it to be him.
duck79
AG
I am probably way behind on everything so I apologize if this has been discussed. Did we find out that Arnold and Robert were brothers and the house in Sector 17 was a recreation of theirs?
AliasMan02
AG
duck79 said:

I am probably way behind on everything so I apologize if this has been discussed. Did we find out that Arnold and Robert were brothers and the house in Sector 17 was a recreation of theirs?

No, they aren't brothers.
RAT90
AG
If you listen carefully during the scene on level B82, you can hear the same creepy sound-effect from the movie. That made me more aware during that scene to look for something and then there he was in the background in the same pose as in the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
PooDoo said:

Really looking forward to this show more and more each week.
Same. Fantastic episode last night. Thandie Newton is great.

Think that was the first ep with no Dolores/William/Logan, right?
R0GUE
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

PooDoo said:

Really looking forward to this show more and more each week.
Same. Fantastic episode last night. Thandie Newton is great.

Think that was the first ep with no Dolores/William/Logan, right?
The first episode had Delores, but Logan and William had not yet arrived.
Complete Idiot
William was in it,he was with teddy when he mowed down the soldiers

bobinator
AG
I need to rewatch this scene again because I also thought he was saying they were brothers, which really threw me.

So, do we think "Arnold" is real?

Like, is Arnold either alive or someone is pretending to be him or something, OR, do we think Arnold is a consciousness inside the system? Like an Ultron, Genisys type thing?
PooDoo
AG
dlance said:

Belton Ag said:

dlance said:

My wife and I just finished rewatching the season and there is nothing to discredit the two timeline theory. Everything that has happened so far falls right into place.
Needed someone smarter than you to help figure it out, huh?

Quote:

I've never thought it wasn't the case (two timelines or my wife being smarter than I). The William/Logan timeline is the backstory of how the MiB came to be.

Is using the phrase "two timelines" throwing people?

Now, it's clearly telling the story from two different points in time. Technically, it's one timeline but the stories are from two different points.
bobinator
AG
Also, whoever does the show recaps for The Ringer is garbage. They're completely devoid of creativity.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
RossK10 said:

That scene with Maeve walking through the facility was amazing.

Yep. Fantastic music. Anyonr know what that was? Original Ramin soundtrack? If so, give that man his Emmy already. Should've won it this year for the GoT finale alone.
LHIOB
AG
It was The Gunslinger
bobinator
AG
I will say "two timelines" is probably not the best way to word it, since the theory is that it's all the same timeline, that might be confusing some people who are interpreting "two timelines" as "two realities."

It's more like two time frames.

I'm as certain of the two timeline thing after last night's episode as I was R+L=J btw. At this point it would be a twist for it not to be true.
mhayden
bobinator said:

I need to rewatch this scene again because I also thought he was saying they were brothers, which really threw me.

So, do we think "Arnold" is real?

Like, is Arnold either alive or someone is pretending to be him or something, OR, do we think Arnold is a consciousness inside the system? Like an Ultron, Genisys type thing?

My original thought is that Arnold is dead but programmed his consciousness into the minds of various hosts to keep what he wanted still alive.

I think this is key though:

Ford showed Bernard this picture and said it was Arnold. But we saw from this episode that is very clearly Ford's droid father -- and he had no idea who Arnold was.

But we also know that the droids are programmed not to see anything that doesn't "fit" with their reality. Which calls into question if Arnold really is in the picture, but Bernard just can't see him -- which also explains the very odd framing in the photo, which seems to have plenty of room for a 3rd person.

So my theory is that Bernard is a droid and he is made in the likeness of Arnold. Ford showed him the picture knowing he wouldn't be able to see the third person and would just assume it was the other person in the picture (which is why he asked "Are you Arnold?" to Ford's father).
bobinator
AG
So taking that further, Ford is the one making un-logged alterations to the hosts, but he's having Bernard do it and then wiping him so that Bernard doesn't remember doing it?
mavsfan4ever
AG
Interesting. I like the above theory about Bernard/Arnold. Makes sense from everything we've seen as long as Bernard is being wiped clean so he can't remember anything.
Quinn
AG
What's the theory behind Bernard being a host? His fascination with Dolores? The fact that one of the employees needs to be for the sake of the story? I guess I'm missing this, though I have noticed that most people seem to take this view.
mhayden
Quinn said:

What's the theory behind Bernard being a host? His fascination with Dolores? The fact that one of the employees needs to be for the sake of the story? I guess I'm missing this, though I have noticed that most people seem to take this view.

He's made at least 3-4 comments that certainly allude to it... Whether the writers mean that as a misdirection or not, who knows.

"I've been here a very long time".
Baskin
AG
Quote:

Yep. Fantastic music. Anyonr know what that was? Original Ramin soundtrack? If so, give that man his Emmy already. Should've won it this year for the GoT finale alone.

It was a cover of Radiohead - Motion Picture Soundtrack, I assume Ramin created it. That's the 3rd Radiohead song so far on the show (Fake Plastic Trees at the beginning of that episode and No Surprises played on the piano in an earlier episode). Add in the NIN - Something I Can Never Have cover from last episode, and you've got a stew goin.
3rdGen2015
AG
So who do we think took Elsie?

I'm thinking it was Stubbs. I think he knows what Theresa has been up to and that is why he was so keen on just taking the head of the wood cutter and not the whole body. But what is QA's motive behind this? Are they trying to get somebody killed in the park so that Ford will be relieved of his duties?
bobinator
AG
The biggest evidence that Bernard is a host is just his bizarre conversations with Ford right? And Ford bringing up Bernard's son seems to be a "time to shut up and leave now" type of command.

But I think it's pretty clear that if Bernard is a host, nobody else knows he's a host with the exception of maybe Theresa.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.