*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

351,629 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From what we have seen so far, it certainly would be a massive island. With the topography (Rivers, Massive Canyons), no way it is man-made. I'm talking myself into thinking it is not on earth but some sort of underground combination of VR/Hologram and the artificial life/robots within a built environment.
Al Bula
AG
Absolutely don't care that I don't know where the park is supposed to be. Will be revealed later, so I will enjoy the mystery until we do know.

I found it far more interesting that the madame-bot had a staph infection. The first QA techs noted she was having some internal pain, which was obvious by the way she kept holding her stomach. Then when the surgeons had her open, they confirmed the pain was caused by MRSA.

It seems to me that something obvious like a stab wound or gunshot wound take a robot down, but a staph infection means they are super sensitive.

Simplest answer is the AI will identify anything foreign in the hosts which could be harmful the guests.
amercer
AG
VR/Hologram would explain the dressing room to train trick, but I like the idea of a real world better. IF we are 500 years in the future, terraformed Mars under a giant dome might be plausible. Although if we are assuming that level of technology then maybe keeping a bunch of stray animals out of the park isn't that big a deal.
bobinator
AG
I mean you could make canyons and rivers also. It's not like we've seen a behind the scenes geology episode where they're discussing the sedimentary layers in the bedrock. All of that could be manmade as well. That also makes sense to build controls into the infrastructure of the park itself.

I don't think it can be on a spaceship though, unless it's the size of the Death Star.

Island makes a lot of sense to me the more I think about it. We'll see if the park if ever impacted by weather.
amercer
AG
They seem to be VERY biologic
TheVarian
AG
Utah
LHIOB
AG
Judging by the elevator at least part of the "corporate offices" are under part of the park
schmendeler
AG
Quote:

Absolutely don't care that I don't know where the park is supposed to be. Will be revealed later, so I will enjoy the mystery until we do know.
I agree. seems like a totally "beside the point" question to me. it doesn't matter one bit, the interesting part is what happens in the park and who is there, not where the park is.
amercer
AG
It might matter at some point. If corporate is building an army to sell to the highest bidder then transport is an issue. If the robots revolt then it matters how close they are to civilization.
schmendeler
AG
amercer said:

It might matter at some point. If corporate is building an army to sell to the highest bidder then transport is an issue. If the robots revolt then it matters how close they are to civilization.
yeah, it will matter then. but we are so far from that I think.
bobinator
AG
I think it's just something fun to speculate on. It also seemed to show a hyperloop underneath the park, and that sort of transportation system wouldn't make sense in space.

Anyway, I love all of the possibilities this show has.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I think it's just something fun to speculate on.
Yep. That's all it is.
3rdGen2015
AG
amercer said:

Since we're speculating, I really don't think that's the end game for corporate. I think they're trying to sell eternal life in the form of transferring your mind into an android's body. I'm also thinking this is the MiB's motivation.
AliasMan02
AG
My guess is that they are trying to develop the ability to copy individuals perfectly.
cr06gis
AG
So the scene with the english kid....

When he was asked to leave and never come back to the hill, he just dropped his stick and walked off like a robot

what the hell?
amercer
AG
I'm pretty sure that's because he was a robot....
schmendeler
AG
He was a robot.
schmendeler
AG
My guess is Anthony Hopkins' character as a child.
amercer
AG
Should we really call them "robots" ?

They are biologic. It's like the creators have mastered all facets of biology except consciousness....
schmendeler
AG
Automatons?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Androids?
schmendeler
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Androids?

Androids are not living tissue.

Cybernetic organisms? Living tissue over a metal endoskeleton.
3rdGen2015
AG
How about "hosts"
cr06gis
AG
Well now I feel dumb, I thought he mentioned he was there on holiday with his family. Thought he might have strayed off from his group.

Makes sense now
TCTTS
AG
A couple of points regarding the time period / location...

- Nolan has confirmed that he show takes place in the 21st Century.

- If the technology exists to create life-like humanoid robots, the technology can just as easily exist to design/engineer the terrain for, say, a 100 square mile area. I can't find the exact quote but I'm fairly certain Ford says something along the lines that he designed every square inch of the park himself. Whether that means making a few terrain alterations to somewhere in Utah, or completely "building" every structure, trail and grain of sand over acres and acres Florida or an on an island or wherever, it's irrelevant. Simply because we can't possibly know what kind of land altering/building technology exists in this time period. For all we know Iowa went to hell for some reason or another and the Delos company bought it from the government and changed it into Westworld. Point is, we can't make assumptions based on the way our world is today.
G Martin 87
AG
Back to player piano music...

Looking forward to hearing "Paranoid Android". Or would that be too obvious?
drmwvr
AG
schmendeler said:

My guess is Anthony Hopkins' character as a child.

Agreed. I think that they are dressed similarly too.
bobinator
AG
I do think we can safely assume that they aren't in the middle of civilization though since the people working the park live on site and "rotate home." That's what makes me think an island makes sense, they'd rotate on and off like oil rig workers do.

Again not that it's a huge deal, but I think we can safely assume the park is pretty well isolated. Plus, like we said, contamination from birds would be a problem if it was anywhere on the mainland. I know that's a minor detail, but I'm sure it's something the show creators thought of.
amercer
AG
I've see that quote, and I know we are suspending disbelief and all, but this level of technology isn't going to exist by December 31st 2099....

mavsfan4ever
AG
One thing I noticed while rewatching episode 2 last night...one of the employees calls the MIB a guest right before he says that he can do whatever he wants. So it at least seems like most people think he's a guest and not a robot. So maybe he really is a guest that has some sort of lifetime pass at the park and can do whatever he pleases?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
bobinator said:

Plus, like we said, contamination from birds would be a problem if it was anywhere on the mainland.
Two birds working together could carry coconuts from tropical locations held under their dorsal guiding feathers.
RAT90
AG
Guests can do whatever they want, except kill another guest. That concept was in the movie and is here, too. I believe there is a boundary and if the MIB gets too close or crosses that boundary then the staff will intervene.
3rdGen2015
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

bobinator said:

Plus, like we said, contamination from birds would be a problem if it was anywhere on the mainland.
Two birds working together could carry coconuts from tropical locations held under their dorsal guiding feathers.

African swallows or European swallows?
mhayden
Could be that the MIB is an in-world "debugger". Push the limits and see if someone could conceivably "break" the game.
PooDoo
AG
I think the whole point of the park is being able to do whatever you want. Don't see that's something out of the ordinary.

Anyone think there is going to be a God vs Satan story between Dr Lecter and Dr Narcisse?

Satan was Gods #1 angel until he made a power play against God. Gets banished and ends up tempting Gods creations.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.