*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

357,777 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
The White Wolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
94brett said:

Watch the show Banshee. You'll see plenty.
I think you were missing my point there in wanting to see a little more...
mhayden
I dunno... Guy seems like a lot of ******bags I've met in corporate life.
The White Wolf
TCTTS said:

The "mean" tech guy is straight up cringeworthy. It's a ridiculous performance, one that I've seen countless people question. I literally cringe every time he's on screen. He's like a caricature of some '80s movie nerd villain, and his seething, unfounded hatred of his Asian colleague is just really weird and off-putting. It also makes absolutely no sense how he and his colleague are doing all this totally under the radar. Especially, as someone pointed out, since we know they're continually monitored. Never mind the glass room they're operating in with people constantly walking by. And I get the theory that Arnold is somehow fudging things here and there to allow this to happen, and I can absolutely buy that, but even if so, the way the writers are handling it is just so clumsy.
Couldn't agree more. I am the least interested with this portion of the show and unfortunately, I see this as the most likely to be continued in further seasons. I like the idea of them upping her intelligence and everything but I'd like to see less of Sylvester. Them sealing up his neck was such a disappointment...
BowSowy
AG
IMO, the only way for the storyline about the techs to make sense is to either reveal they are hosts or to reveal that someone way high up pulled the strings on Maeve.
TCTTS
AG
I think Arnold is definitely pulling the strings in some way. When it comes to anything tech-related (security, monitoring, code, etc), I can buy his involvement 100% and can excuse just about anything. But it still drives me nuts how no other employee seems to be even remotely aware of what is going on, or how no one in any of the other nearby glass rooms is seeing what's going on.
BowSowy
AG
Maybe everyone everywhere are hosts and Ford programmed them to not see what's going on with Maeve. I'm half joking and would hate for the writers to go this route, but it does seem to be deliberate how inept they are making everyone around Felix, Sylvester, and Maeve seem.
MW03
AG
So what happens when Maeve interacts with Bernard?
TCTTS
AG
There was a hint of it in next week's preview.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
What worries me about this show is that as the characters develop, I seem to end up caring less about them.

I cared about what happened to "in script" Dolores. I don't care what Dolores is doing now. I don't care if Ted and MiB find anything or die trying. I don't care what happens to Benard now. And I'm caring less about who ends up controlling the park or whatever the heck is in the maze. Maeve has turned into "the one" Neo. So I find her interesting, but being a robot, I'm not really compelled to root for her.

I'm going to need more humans get developed so I care that they get what they want; and the end goal(s) are going to need to be better defined if I'm going to care about what they want.

Meanwhile it's just a fun sci-fi "story time".
spanky
AG
I would think that if AI isn't your thing, and under no conditions could you care for a non-human character, then maybe this show or perhaps any scifi isn't for you.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
spanky said:

I would think that if AI isn't your thing, and under no conditions could you care for a non-human character, then maybe this show or perhaps any scifi isn't for you.

Ha! Maybe true. I think it's how the hosts were so thoroughly treated like objects in the first several episodes it wore off on me. I'll keep my future whining complaints to myself. ;-) It does get tiresome reading complaints about the show that is the whole point of the thread.

I do love the effects, setting, and Ford. And I'm actually quite curious about the outside world.
The White Wolf
After they have clearly made the comments on how someone had already made alterations to Maeve's personality traits, it's definitely still out there to be revealed who did this. I assume Arnold in some method would be the most likely. We can assume it wasn't Theresa, but what I've been thinking may have done it was simply the voice command from Dolores of "These violent delights have violent ends" - this may have been a voice command that literally changes the calibration of the one who hears it. I don't know though, that's the only thing that sticks out right now. But I would find it interesting if they kind of circled back to that line because it was so heavily used and referenced in the beginning of the show and they have kind of stepped away from it as of late.

And yes, I believe we will see the two techs be revealed as hosts. It just makes more sense than not, especially with Felix's little flash back scene when Maeve comes in again to be repaired (back in the episode when he's programming the bird). It's very similar to what Dolores goes through when seeing alike loops play out.
redline248
AG
I might have missed the discussion, but what did Bernard whisper to Abernathy when he was put in storage? I don't mean specifically, but in light of him being a host, something of Ford's design, Arnold's or his own? That's bound to be important, especially with the board lady uploading all that data into Abernathy.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Arnold reprogrammed himself into the Hosts. He may not be a single host, but his consciousness may have been fragmented into many of the core hosts.

The fact Mave can now reprogram other hosts with just a whisper? WTF is that nonsense?

It's not about AI or liking Sci-fi or not, it's about a good story and this isn't one. It's fragmented, overly complicated with multiple time lines that leave you guessing as to what's going on.

And this nonsense game with-in a game MAZE. It just feels like someone loved LOST, shat it out, and served it up. "The Hatch" = "The Maze". And it's gotten there within the first season. Just waiting for Polar Bears to be roaming around the town.

The more I think about this show the more it pisses me off vs. intriguing me more.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

The "mean" tech guy is straight up cringeworthy. It's a ridiculous performance, one that I've seen countless people question. I literally cringe every time he's on screen. He's like a caricature of some '80s movie nerd villain, and his seething, unfounded hatred of his Asian colleague is just really weird and off-putting. It also makes absolutely no sense how he and his colleague are doing all this totally under the radar. Especially, as someone pointed out, since we know they're continually monitored. Never mind the glass room they're operating in with people constantly walking by. And I get the theory that Arnold is somehow fudging things here and there to allow this to happen, and I can absolutely buy that, but even if so, the way the writers are handling it is just so clumsy.

After Maeve straight up tried to kill him, I would wait for the right moment for her to be unaware....then I'd bludgeon her with a hammer. Then, put her body on a gurney and take her to that "instant incinerator" we saw Bernard use to destroy his love notes. Boom. Problem solved.

How he would be able to continue to help either Maeve or the tech who allowed her to attack him just stretches believability. And their storyline already crosses the line into ridiculousness. It's the one storyline that I am tired of.
3rdGen2015
AG
redline248 said:

I might have missed the discussion, but what did Bernard whisper to Abernathy when he was put in storage? I don't mean specifically, but in light of him being a host, something of Ford's design, Arnold's or his own? That's bound to be important, especially with the board lady uploading all that data into Abernathy.

We don't know. Even with the subtitles on, it says inaudible whispers. I imagine it'll be a big deal down the stretch.
3rdGen2015
AG
tl;dw Episode 8
3rdGen2015
AG
The entire Maeve and the Butchers story line is worth it for this

JJxvi
AG
Aggie Joe 93 said:

What worries me about this show is that as the characters develop, I seem to end up caring less about them.

I cared about what happened to "in script" Dolores. I don't care what Dolores is doing now. I don't care if Ted and MiB find anything or die trying. I don't care what happens to Benard now. And I'm caring less about who ends up controlling the park or whatever the heck is in the maze. Maeve has turned into "the one" Neo. So I find her interesting, but being a robot, I'm not really compelled to root for her.

I'm going to need more humans get developed so I care that they get what they want; and the end goal(s) are going to need to be better defined if I'm going to care about what they want.

Meanwhile it's just a fun sci-fi "story time".
Maeve is Agent Smith
Teacher_Ag
AG
One of my friends said he and his wife think the girl at the campfire with Teddy encouraging him to shoot MiB is the replacement Clem...that's not true is it?
TCTTS
AG
No, the woman/host at the campfire is the same woman/host (played by Talulah Riley) here as alluded to by the MiB...

Teacher_Ag
AG
OK that's what I was thinking too but just wanted to make sure I'm not insane.
bobinator
AG
I go back to what I said last week, the multiple time frames thing seems so obvious now that part of me wonders if it's not actually true.

Also, I haven't read back through everything, but we're assuming that Ford put Talulah Riley's character there on purpose to mess with the MiB. Since that was the first host he ever saw?
Ranger222
AG
RE: regarding the techs.....

Are they not hosts themselves? This would explain a lot of their (non) actions. Why would the Asian tech not turn off Maeve when he hears her grand plan? Either he is intrigued by her becoming self-aware and wants to see it through (just a general curious in these things, like the bird), or he has been programmed and has it in his core code to where he can't wipe her -- he's a host. Same with the other dude. He being healed with the glue gun thingy I thought might be hinting he could be healed just like a host -- because he is one. Think about the job they are tasked to do day in and day out. Its pretty mundane right? Fix up the hosts from gun shots, cuts, and anything else. In the future world, why would a human be doing these things? Seems like a simple task that hosts could do. I think that whole part of the storyline is cleared up when we find out if they are hosts or not. To me their actions are only acceptable if they are hosts themselves and can / can not do certain actions like shutting other hosts down and wiping them clean. They also never really mess with Maeve's character settings -- its Maeve who is doing that herself after they hand her the tablet. Something else they are probably not allowed to do through their core code.

If you're running Westworld, the only humans you would really need to run the place are in management, coding, and special operations. Everyone else who are doing mundane tasks such as prepping the hosts every day, washing them, greeting and tending to guests etc. could all be filled in by hosts.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I posted this a few pages back. The techs have to be hosts. They are part of the board's master plan. IMO.

I wonder if that would make people feel differently? Seeing a lot of complaining in the past couple of days.
bobinator
AG
Except that makes the part where the one tech steals a bird and a behavior tablet very odd. It would definitely be programmed into their core code not to do that.
3rdGen2015
AG
Unless he didn't actually steal it, but his memory was adjusted to make him think he stole it
JoCoAg09
AG
I really hope the [assumed] real people that turn out to be hosts are kept to a minimum.
DannyDuberstein
AG
JoCoAg09 said:

I really hope the [assumed] real people that turn out to be hosts are kept to a minimum.
Right. Totally fine with the fairly predictable Bernard move, but it needs to stop with that one.
bobinator
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

Unless he didn't actually steal it, but his memory was adjusted to make him think he stole it
Why? I'm all for a good theory but this would be an insanely elaborate plot.
spanky
AG
I dunno, I think even in the future the world will need ditch diggers. IMHO, that is what this tech job is. It's a step up from Mickey Ds so even when you screw up so bad you should go to management, you still try to hide it and fix things yourself in order to save your job.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Que dramatic music: what if they're all hosts?

3rd and 2
AG
The question is, would you rather have an android wife or a real human wife? I thinks it's going to be a big time 1st world problem when humans start marrying androids and not procreating!
AlaskanAg99
AG
Maroon Stormtrooper said:

The question is, would you rather have an android wife or a real human wife? I thinks it's going to be a big time 1st world problem when humans start marrying androids and not procreating!

Overpopulation is the #1 environmental problem today. Frankly, it can't happen fast enough. Less people = less pressure on the environment, social issues, urban sprawl, etc....
bobinator
AG
Essentially the plot over these last few episodes is going to boil down to whether or not Ford knows about "Arnold" right?

Like, is there a "ghost in the system" that even he can't control, or is it of his own design and part of some elaborate plan to some end that we don't know about yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.