*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

351,649 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
Ogre09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

3rdGen2015 said:

claym711 said:

In Ford'a flashbacks when talking to Bernard, the half built robot laying on the table looks a hell of a lot like Logan....

There's also a shaved and bald man that looks like Bernard.

Isn't the decommissioned Papa Abernathy shown in that scene?

An early mechanical host model with Abernathy's likeness is, yes.

The guy on the table is the bandito who steals the safe, if I recall correctly... His name escapes me.

Hector Escaton!

That's the sheriff's horse, you son of a *****.
Ogre09
AG
AliasMan02 said:

They are definitely there in person sometimes, but specifically I wonder about Delores.

Before she came to talk to Ford in ep. 5, she was walkkng in the Muertos skeleton crowd, and someone (sounded like Ford to me) said the "deep and dreamless slumber" line to her. But then when they talk she says she's in a dream, and he says she's in his dream...
AgLiving06
Ogre09 said:

AliasMan02 said:

They are definitely there in person sometimes, but specifically I wonder about Delores.

Before she came to talk to Ford in ep. 5, she was walkkng in the Muertos skeleton crowd, and someone (sounded like Ford to me) said the "deep and dreamless slumber" line to her. But then when they talk she says she's in a dream, and he says she's in his dream...

I've assumed in scenes like that we are seeing two different timelines because of Ford's age.

Unless the directors are taking the lazy way out, it seems that any conversation they have with the Hosts is in present time, even if we are seeing two different timelines.

So while she was put to sleep in that scene, when they cut to Ford, they were "current time."
MW03
AG
Maybe there's a kind of a Cloud Atlas Sonmi-451 interview thing going on for those of you that have read the book.
JJxvi
AG
She was put to sleep in the present day. Just like the shooting scene shes following the same path both now and back then so present and past are intertwined. Any time you dont explicitly see william or logan on screen with her it might be the present with her alone just following in footsteps of her memories
bobinator
AG
Yeah, and I think in the "present" timeline, Dolores is by herself but the MiB set her on course when he dragged her into the barn in the first episode.

I've decided that I don't think he actually raped her or whatever, I think they went into the barn and he "woke her up" by saying something, possibly even the violent delights line. Basically setting in motion the same loop for her as she went on in the past.
PooDoo
AG
It does seem like the violent delights line triggers something.

Abernathy said it to Dolores and Dolores said it to Mauve.
3rdGen2015
AG
Ogre09 said:

AliasMan02 said:

It was indeed Ford who said that. I've made a habit of turning closed captions on for my second viewing and it credited Ford with the "deep and dreamless slumber" line.
R0GUE
AG
PooDoo said:

It does seem like the violent delights line triggers something.

Abernathy said it to Dolores and Dolores said it to Mauve.
Remember, Ed Brubaker wrote Winter Soldier.

"Longing, Rusted, Daybreak, Boxcar, Fifteen..."
LHIOB
AG
This will be a show thats REALLY fun to go back and rewatch when its over. If there are multiple timelines I'd also like an edit with everything in chronological order.
bobinator
AG
I've said for a few years that I wish they'd edit Game of Thrones into the separate storylines and put those on HBO in the offseason. Like basically "here's everything that's happened with Arya," "Here's everything that's happened with John Snow," etc.

Would be good to watch as a refresher before each season.
The White Wolf
"Most men, they'll tell you a story straight through. It won't be complicated, but it won't be interesting either."
Tobias Funke
AG
Since the show introduced religion, I can't help picking up very strongly Biblical allegory in the narrative. Take the concept of the creation and trilogy.... (have fun blasting this idea apart, everyone!):

-Arnold (God) creates Westworld and all of the "people" in it as a masterful experiment of "if we can create consciousness, what would AI do and build on their own?". He remains out of the picture but is in control

-Arnold creates his ideal specimen, Dr Ford (Lucifer), as a partner and friend. Through a series of technological improvements, Dr Ford becomes super intelligent, believes he is superior to Arnold (the fall) and begins messing with programming to affect creation. Through this process, Arnold loses control/command. Westworld becomes a very Sodom and Gomorrah type place.

- in an effort to save his creation, Arnold inserts himself physically in this world for the first time as God among man (Jesus), to try to re-establish balance. Under Dr Ford's remote direction, "the incident" happens and Arnold is killed by the robots (crucifiction)

-Anticipating this might happen, Arnold had already programmed his consciousness into some of the beings...their bicameral mind... and even after his death still speaks to them and guides them (the Holy Spirit).

And.... go
bobinator
AG
So who's Jesus/Arnold?
Tobias Funke
AG
We don't know yet. But he created the park alone, and now everyone on the outside is under the impression that he and dr ford created it together and he killed himself
bobinator
AG
I dunno, there are definitely some religious analogues in the show, but I dunno if it's going to be that well defined. But maybe?
TCTTS
AG
Legit impressed with this interpretation. To the point where I hope that's at least part of the mold.
The White Wolf
Seeing as MiB recognizes Dr. Ford when they meet at the saloon, 1 of 2 things would have to be true for that to work: 1. The MiB who has obviously known him or at least of him for many years would have to know he was a host. OR 2. Dr. Ford would have to be undergoing alterations to his "build" in order to age in appearance.

#1 becomes very interesting to me because, in the same scene, we have the MiB make his threat with the knife to cut open Dr. Ford to see what he might find...
AliasMan02
AG
The White Wolf said:

Seeing as MiB recognizes Dr. Ford when they meet at the saloon, 1 of 2 things would have to be true for that to work: 1. The MiB who has obviously known him or at least of him for many years would have to know he was a host. OR 2. Dr. Ford would have to be undergoing alterations to his "build" in order to age in appearance.

#1 becomes very interesting to me because, in the same scene, we have the MiB make his threat with the knife to cut open Dr. Ford to see what he might find...

If Ford is an advanced host, and the MiB us William, then he likely would have provided the tech to create him.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
^ Both from:

http://www.slashfilm.com/westworld-bits-3/
bobinator
AG
That was a really well done video.
Centerpole90
AG
That video helps.
Complete Idiot
It's been my observation that the over analysis of shows like this can take away from the enjoyment, at least for some. The theories become pretty fantastical and then the reality of the show, no matter how well done, seems a disappointment.

For others, the over analysis IS the fun of the show and they eat up all theories, and still enjoy whatever the show actually dishes out.
moriarty90
AG
Hello Russell. I mean Satan
Jim01
AG
Just caught up. Very enjoyable show. Really liking it so far. Although it's hard for me to Jimmi Simpson and not think of him as McPoyle from IASIP.

I shouted out loud at episode 2. As soon as they showed Lawrence's hometown I said "Hey that's the church from Arrested Development!!!" I immediately had to Google it and was glad to find I was right:

http://moviepilot.com/p/westworld-and-arrested-development-share-same-universe/4119407

I have a very strange talent of instantly recognizing sets. TCTTS, is there any way for me to monetize that in the film industry?
TCTTS
AG
Become a location scout.
MW03
AG
Complete Idiot said:

It's been my observation that the over analysis of shows like this can take away from the enjoyment, at least for some. The theories become pretty fantastical and then the reality of the show, no matter how well done, seems a disappointment.

For others, the over analysis IS the fun of the show and they eat up all theories, and still enjoy whatever the show actually dishes out.

I'm starting to lean that way. Plus you miss the reveal a bit when the twists are all predicted because everything is crowdsourced these days.
AgLiving06
Anybody else think about the stark contrast in sit downs that Ford has had?

When he met with Sidse, he completely took her apart. He even went so far as to bring her to the exact chair she sat in as a child, stop time and then destroy it all to prove how in control he was.

The second sit down occurs with the MiB and goes completely different. The MiB really seems to grasp the world and Ford's place in it. A very underrated quote in all of this is "the man I'd be asking died 35 years ago." That comment completely dismantled the control Ford has. Sure he has Teddy to "protect" him, but he isn't controlling the MiB.
The White Wolf
TCTTS said:

Really like the video and LOVE the way they ended it! Been talking about this quote on here since episode 3 and that's really the first time I've seen it used as as support anywhere else. The quote being Dr. Ford saying to Bernard: "It's a tricky thing, weaving the old into the new." So glad to see that used there cause I've felt that it's direct foreshadowing.

I'm also interested to see if it goes beyond just William's timeline with other characters as well, and I suspect it will.
AliasMan02
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Since the show introduced religion, I can't help picking up very strongly Biblical allegory in the narrative. Take the concept of the creation and trilogy.... (have fun blasting this idea apart, everyone!):

-Arnold (God) creates Westworld and all of the "people" in it as a masterful experiment of "if we can create consciousness, what would AI do and build on their own?". He remains out of the picture but is in control

-Arnold creates his ideal specimen, Dr Ford (Lucifer), as a partner and friend. Through a series of technological improvements, Dr Ford becomes super intelligent, believes he is superior to Arnold (the fall) and begins messing with programming to affect creation. Through this process, Arnold loses control/command. Westworld becomes a very Sodom and Gomorrah type place.

- in an effort to save his creation, Arnold inserts himself physically in this world for the first time as God among man (Jesus), to try to re-establish balance. Under Dr Ford's remote direction, "the incident" happens and Arnold is killed by the robots (crucifiction)

-Anticipating this might happen, Arnold had already programmed his consciousness into some of the beings...their bicameral mind... and even after his death still speaks to them and guides them (the Holy Spirit).

And.... go

Been thinking about this and realized that the "host" in the catholic traditions is the vessel for the actual living presence of Christ.

Probably nothing to that, but interesting to ponder.
TCTTS
AG
Another two-timelines video. Covers a lot of the same ground, but I hadn't heard the "Do you remember?" theory yet, and it's pretty convincing. At this point, I just don't see how it's not two timelines...

AgLiving06
I think they can use the two timelines to get everyone up to speed, but I don't think they keep it up the entire series.
mazzag
AG
I thought Maeve was the hoar that slapped Logan during his 3some at the saloon? Never showed her face but they had just made her more aggressive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.