*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

351,654 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
3rdGen2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dromo07 said:

YellowPot_97 said:

wonder what happened to the head security guy that was grabbed by the ghost nation indians.

I am going to say he was killed. I want to say that those Indians were coded to be able to kill
Well there is some evidence that Elsie is still alive...
titanmaster_race
TCTTS said:

Still curious about why Ford thought he had to die. Other than it being a symbolic gesture on the part of Dolores, she could have technically killed anyone to achieve her sentience. And yes, Ford knew he was being pushed out by the board, but why the public death other than for theatrics? I guess I'm just trying to find a tangible meaning for it.

I don't think Ford thought he "had" to die.

He had been a defacto god with nearly unlimited power for 35 years, and now he was being forced into a quiet retirement. For him that was too ignominious of an ending. Instead he chose to go out with a bang and 'become' the narrative (referencing his quip about Mozart and Bethoven).
titanmaster_race
Can we talk about those search and destroy teams and how awful they were at searching and destroying? They were stormtrooper level bad.
Dro07
AG
Damn nerds... wish they would have showed something in the show about it
TCTTS
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Will this be the Season 2 plot: The Lost World: Jurassic Park Synopsis?
Ha, seriously, I don't think you're far off.

Think about it. I know we've joked about how close this was to Jurassic Park in its basic narrative (with both JP and the original Westworld being written by Crichton), but after tonight it proved even more so. JP obviously ended with all going to hell and the dinosaurs taking over. Even Hammond died in the book. And then there's the whole Nedry parallel as well in trying to sneak out the embryos and that being left as somewhat of a loose end in the same way Abernathy/thecode is still technically a loose end here.

I don't know that Nolan & co were deliberately trying to ape JP or even pay homage to Crichton, but season two could easily see someone taking over Delos in the same way Hammond's nephew took over InGen and then basically rounded up that expedition to go in and capture dinos. Same basic idea could be applied here with a team being assembled to infiltrate Westworld-gone-to-hell for whatever corporate reasons. And then maybe there's a rogue group as well with their own agenda, similar to Ian Malcom & co.

The more I think about it, we're probably going to see a Jurassic World scenario at some point too. The park - now under new management - re-opening to much fanfare... only to see it all burn down once again.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, good point. Makes sense.
Teacher_Ag
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Can we talk about those search and destroy teams and how awful they were at searching and destroying? They were stormtrooper level bad.

It made me think of people in FPS games complaining of "aimbot" hacking everytime someone manages an impossible seeming shot. In this case the search and destroy team really were going up against aimbot and suffered the consequences.
MW03
AG
Ford got Maeve going so as to control security so that the cold storage army could escape, right? They started going floor by floor after that, and neglected cold storage entirely. I think the squeak was Maeve decided to return instead of leave. Maybe a sign of her sentience? Who knows?

Biggest downer was following all the online stuff. That MIB/William reveal would have been glorious. I wish I hadn't read so much so as to enjoy it unfold in real time.

Best part of the entire thing was Ford and Bernarnold at the end there. Maybe best thing in the series. I was so convinced Ford was evil until that singular conversation completely changed it entirely in a minutes time.

Best Oh **** moment was Delores and Teddy "on stage" at the beach.

And finally, giving us Exit Music instead of the expected Paranoid Android was a master musical stroke.
AggieRebel
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ok, I want to make sure I understood this.

Ford's new narrative was always meant to end with his own death? And with a massacre of the board?

I think Ford's new narrative begins with his death. That's why you see MIB smile because he's thinking "ok, now we've got a game with real consequences."
Dro07
AG
Seems to me that the MIB lives in a world without crime and killing possibly?
titanmaster_race
MW03 said:

I think the squeak was Maeve decided to return instead of leave. Maybe a sign of her sentience?

When Maeve shuts Bernard up and breaks his tablet, he was just about to say that something happens to her on the train that she intends to leave on. I think she was programmed to return for her daughter.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MW03 said:

Ford got Maeve going so as to control security so that the cold storage army could escape, right? They started going floor by floor after that, and neglected cold storage entirely. I think the squeak was Maeve decided to return instead of leave. Maybe a sign of her sentience? Who knows?

Biggest downer was following all the online stuff. That MIB/William reveal would have been glorious. I wish I hadn't read so much so as to enjoy it unfold in real time.

Best part of the entire thing was Ford and Bernarnold at the end there. Maybe best thing in the series. I was so convinced Ford was evil until that singular conversation completely changed it entirely in a minutes time.

Best Oh **** moment was Delores and Teddy "on stage" at the beach.

And finally, giving us Exit Music instead of the expected Paranoid Android was a master musical stroke.

That was awesome...almost overlooked with all that came after that......

But I had several brainlock moments there though....really got distracted .......anyone else?????

So this was my thought process.....

1. at first as they rode onto the beach I couldn't help but think...."if they see a giant Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand I am gonna lose my ****"...lol

2. then as the water and waves behind them were crashing i had a "the Truman Show" moment....thinking oh crap if the edge of the WW universe is the ocean just like in the Truman Show where he sails out and crashes into the boundary of the set...then my mind really derailed as I realized that the God/Producer in that was played by Ed Harris (Christof) who is now William/MIB in this and I truly got distracted....what if this entire thing is a Reality TV show for their world....

had to stop and rewind.....

3. then Ford shows up and the people applaud and I'm like where did this audience come from...wait is this whole thing on some stage WTF....or like some Star Trek holodeck....I was really confused.

I seriously had to regroup after that I was all over the map there.

TCTTS
AG
Ha, I thought the same thing, re: The Truman Show.

And for the record, that was the exact same location as the end of Planet of the Apes. Zuma Beach in Malibu.
tk for tu juan
The last line of Maeve's code said Mainland Infiltration. Bernard was in the middle of saying when she reaches the mainland when she broke the tablet. May be she was programmed to go to the mainland, but the memory of her daughter was strong enough to get her off the train.
MrPlow2010
AG
Does anyone know what host Ford was creating with that old machine when he had Bernard kill that woman ?
Cynical_Texan
AG
Bernarnold will be in charge of the park next season. Second only to Ford and what human knows he's a host? Host in charge of park would be excellent.
MW03
AG
Also, hilarious moment of the season when Asian dude starts roboting after seeing dead Bernard.
AgNav93
AG
MrPlow2010 said:

Does anyone know what host Ford was creating with that old machine when he had Bernard kill that woman ?
My theory is it was a Ford host and that is who we see Dolores shoot. Allows to still pull the strings from behind the scenes or to survive the Delos board massacre and take over the park.
titanmaster_race
I guess I need to rewatch that scene.
TCTTS
AG
I'mm 99.9% certain Maeve broke code/made her own decision there. That was the whole point. Ford was giving all the hosts freedom. That doesn't just mean freedom from the park, but freedom to make their own decisions. Yes, he needed her to execute that plan up to that point, but his gift to her, so to speak, was finally letting her make her own decision there on the train, and that's exactly what she did. To say anything else betrays the entire thematic point of the finale.
MW03
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

I LOVED William/MIB smiling that wicked smile when he got shot and realized the game was finally real and he could be hurt.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, I thought the same thing, re: The Truman Show.

And for the record, that was the exact same location as the end of Planet of the Apes. Zuma Beach in Malibu.

No way. Wow I really had a moment there about planet of the apes...that explains it. wow.

TCTTS
AG
Yeah, if there's a beach scene in a movie, there's a 50% chance it was shot there. That's where everything shoots.
TCTTS
AG
Just realized something...

I care about the hosts now.

And you know why? Because I've seen them suffer so much.

I complained a bunch this season about simply not caring about the plight of robots, but in all their suffering over these episodes, I've come around. Not completely, but I now actively want to see what happens to at least Bernard and Maeve, and I care about seeing them find whatever it is their looking for.

Just another cool level to the show... the actual thematic exploration of empathy and suffering causes the viewer to have the same arc/reaction as Ford. And I know that's how most great stories work on a basic level, but there's an extra meta level here that I just love.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, and I just realized something else... Anthony Hopkins lives in Point Dume, a neighborhood that literally overlooks that beach. That shot of the guests walking back up that lit path from the beach - if the camera just tilted up a bit, you could basically see Hopkins' house up in the distance. I used to live in Malibu and Point Dume is where a ton of big-name celebs live like Barbara Streisand, Bob Dylan, David Letterman, and Hopkins. At least as of a decade ago. I actually saw him outside of his house once, and it'd be funny if he still lives there / basically walked to work that day.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Anyone catch the host cutting off her own arm after the credits rolled?
TCTTS
AG
That's the first post-credit scene I can remember seeing on HBO. Maybe even on cable TV, period.
redline248
AG
Man, those reddit threads are just a giant rabbit hole. I don't know if I would like or hate if Elsie and Stubbs are still alive. Stubbs I guess I could see it, bc the hosts that had MiB didn't outright kill him, implying they couldn't. So maybe the ghost nation hosts could only incapacitate Stubbs. Elsie seems like she's dead. When Bernard had his trip down memory lane he remembers choking her, and Ford says "we had to make hard decisions."
RadAg14
AG
Williams wife's picture is a stock image in real life

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/cab-passing-woman-in-times-square-at-night-high-res-stock-photography/121343866

Westworld is real...

TCTTS
AG
Speaking of Planet of the Apes, in addition to The Lost World, another good season two comparison could be Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Dolores as Caesar and Bernard as whoever Caesar's right-hand ape was. That basic dynamic of an ape or two that's way smarter/more aware than the others, but can teach the rest and unite them. All the hosts form a huge clan of sorts and then - playing into The Lost World comparison - an outside group of humans shows up and it's war.
TCTTS
AG
Either way, it will be interesting to see how the Westworld hosts interact with - if at all - the hosts in the other worlds. Will the entire park have gone to hell or just the Westworld section? With most of the board presumably dead, I'm guessing it's the former, but man, the possibilities are endless.
bangobango
AG
Thoughts:

1. It is a mistake to go forward without Hopkins on the cast. He adds a LOT tot his show. If he is really dead, I hope they hire soembody in season two with the presence to replace him.

2. It would be a mistake to go forward without Ed Harris. He is not Hopkins, but he is still damn good,. I suspect he will survive since they didn't show him dying.

3. Called the maze waaay back on this thread.

4. Big loose end with no information on Abernathy. Also, Stubbs and writer guy.

5. Disagree that Maeve coming back was necessarily her own choice. Her coming back from programming would be okay, because the CHOICE tjat was made was Dolores deciding to shoot Ford and everybody else. In contrast she was programmed to murder Arnold and everyone else.
TCTTS
AG
http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/westworld-unlikely-success-story-for-hbo.html
Joseph Parrish
AG
bangobango said:

It is a mistake to go forward without Hopkins on the cast. He adds a LOT tot his show. If he is really dead.
This. I think it'd be kind of lame, but how do we know Ford didn't make a host that looked just like him for this part?
G Martin 87
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

bangobango said:

It is a mistake to go forward without Hopkins on the cast. He adds a LOT tot his show. If he is really dead.
This. I think it'd be kind of lame, but how do we know Ford didn't make a host that looked just like him for this part?
How would he explain that every member of the board and the majority shareholder are dead except for him?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.