*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

348,524 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just watched ep. 2 cuz I was traveling.....I'm calling my shot here but it won't be what you think.

Don't get me wrong I like the show. Great production and acting and it is intriguing and has a lot of positives. And I will definitely keep watching.

But I refuse to get sucked into all the theories and plot details and mysteries and the levels that will unravel. Why??

Cuz I've been here before.

This show is LOST.

Been there done that. Spent 7 years on message boards deciphering all that crap and none of it mattered. It was just a writers whimsy and keeping the merry go round spinning. Nothing more.

Enjoy the ride. That's what I'm gonna do.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Sound advice.
TCTTS
bobinator
AG
I think that's all part of it. If it ends up not mattering, oh well. It's just fun to talk about and explore.
Btron
AG
For those pitching the logo's are different, can you supply some screen shots to back up this theory?
3rdGen2015
AG
Btron said:

For those pitching the logo's are different, can you supply some screen shots to back up this theory?
The one behind everybody in this shot is the main logo for the show.

Here it is on the main poster

And here is just the logo

This is the one that is shown when William arrives and gets off of the escalator

TCTTS
AG
That's pretty damn convincing.
LHIOB
AG
DAMN YOU JJ ABRAMS!
LHIOB
AG
Heres a thought...

Lee Sizemore gave his pitch for a new storyline that involved indians and Ford shot him down for a new storyline he had been working on for years. In the flashback by Maeve we saw her attached by indians. We know that all of the hosts were being created for his storyline after we saw him get mad about the nose on an indian host. In the flashback one of the indians looked exactly like the host that was painted white and black.

Is it possible that the timeline involving Lee is the flashback?
bobinator
AG
Someone on reddit caught that the "vintage" logo is also what's in the changing room as William is getting ready to enter the park.

It's actually the normal logo on the thumbnail for the episode on HBONow, but within the actual episode it's the vintage logo.

bobinator
AG
So I definitely think there's an alternate timeline at work here, I just don't think William is the MiB.
Mathguy64
AG
Makes you wonder what is real, screwed up or messed around with on purpose. And I wouldn't put it past them to mess around on purpose.
Btron
AG
Quote:

In the flashback one of the indians looked exactly like the host that was painted white and black.
So are you trying to say all Indians look a like? Real cool, man!
tk for tu juan
What if the Indian scene was a flash forward? Maybe the programming code is already in her system and accessed by the bug. That's so Lost
amercer
AG
So is episode 3 up yet?
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
That was a one-time thing to avoid being head to head with the debate.
amercer
LHIOB
AG
Id vote for pretty much any character on this show over who we have to choose from.
Independent George
AG
LHIOB said:

In the flashback one of the indians looked exactly like the host that was painted white and black.
I noticed that as well. I'd like to know more about how the hosts memories work, I think that will give a ton of insight into the timeline issues. At one point Dolores is told to forget the conversation she had just had. If the hosts are progressing towards conscious AI then establishing memories seems to be the most important first step.
RAT90
AG
I think the reveries in the update have something to do with accessing old memories. However, I thought they were rolled-back to the prior software version. But if that is the case, then how do the old memories still exist?
LHIOB
AG
RAT90 said:

I think the reveries in the update have something to do with accessing old memories. However, I thought they were rolled-back to the prior software version. But if that is the case, then how do the old memories still exist?
Someone isn't rolling them back as they are supposed to or the software they are installing doesnt do what they say it does
RAT90
AG
Perhaps the bug prevents a complete wipe. At the end of Ep 1, Dolores swats the fly on her neck when all other times flies have not illicted a response from the hosts. As mentioned here previously, this could be the symbolic case for an inherent glitch.
LHIOB
AG
Delores isn't supposed to be able to kill a living thing and flies are the only living thing in West World
JJxvi
AG
I believe the memories are always stored. The reverie code just gave access to them during operation.
Mozart Paintings
AG
LHIOB said:

Delores isn't supposed to be able to kill a living thing and flies are the only living thing in West World
well, and the guests
ac04
Quote:

I believe the memories are always stored. The reverie code just gave access to them during operation.

seems like the pros/cons of doing that should have torpedoed that idea pretty quick. cool, the hooker can touch her lip now. but they might also be able to remember all the times they've been murdered. hmm
Independent George
AG
ac04 said:

Quote:

I believe the memories are always stored. The reverie code just gave access to them during operation

Does it make sense to say that the bug they experienced was just a catalyst. You could argue that you can't have a thought without some sort of memory. The dad was seen taking the picture back to his porch to 'ponder' over. He should not have been able to do that, to engage in original thought. How long before the HH, head hooker, starts thinking about a her memories and what they mean for her?

I dont know, I am pretty confused until I can rewatch again.
bobinator
AG
We've also seen Delores just blatantly lie to the (whatever we're calling the people that operate the park) even when she was in diagnostic mode or whatever on the outside the park. So we can't really use anything that she does as an example for how it works with any of the other hosts. She seems to be "conscious" all the time.

TCTTS
AG
Not 100% certain, but I think the show refers to the people who operate the park as "managers." So I'd say "managers," "hosts," and "guests."
amercer
AG
I drove bus said:

LHIOB said:

well, and the guests

Maybe.
E.KingTrill
G Martin 87 said:

Back to player piano music...

Looking forward to hearing "Paranoid Android". Or would that be too obvious?
They already played "No Surprises" by Radiohead in ep. 2
aggietoombs01
Possible explanation for why Delores hasn't lied yet, as well as support for the Biblical theory

The flies aren't real(they are fake just like the horses). If they can create horses, they can create flies.

I think the flies are the delivery mechanism for the hosts to achieve self-awareness (knowledge outside of their original program) - goes along with the Biblical theory.

I think whoever "the devil" according to Ford is, is the "Lord(Creator) of the flies". Could be Abernathy(or those plotting rebellion against Ford, much like the original fall from grace)...we shall see.

Anyway...my $0.02
schmendeler
AG
i believe the show runners have stated explicitly that the flies are regular flies (living things).
E.KingTrill
My idea:

When ep. 2 ended, and the show the steeple, Hopkins was talking about a new storyline that was based on a simple idea.

I think he's going to introduce religion into the AI.
aggietoombs01
SAMSONITE! I was WAAYYY OFF!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.