*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

351,659 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
Independent George
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
E.KingTrill said:

My idea:

When ep. 2 ended, and the show the steeple, Hopkins was talking about a new storyline that was based on a simple idea.

I think he's going to introduce religion into the AI.
The question is, to what extent. Who or what would they worship? Ford himself?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Just watched ep. 2 cuz I was traveling.....I'm calling my shot here but it won't be what you think.

Don't get me wrong I like the show. Great production and acting and it is intriguing and has a lot of positives. And I will definitely keep watching.

But I refuse to get sucked into all the theories and plot details and mysteries and the levels that will unravel. Why??

Cuz I've been here before.

This show is LOST.

Been there done that. Spent 7 years on message boards deciphering all that crap and none of it mattered. It was just a writers whimsy and keeping the merry go round spinning. Nothing more.

Enjoy the ride. That's what I'm gonna do.

I really hope that's not the case. I loved the ride of Lost, it felt so empty that they didn't explain anything.
E.KingTrill
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Just watched ep. 2 cuz I was traveling.....I'm calling my shot here but it won't be what you think.

Don't get me wrong I like the show. Great production and acting and it is intriguing and has a lot of positives. And I will definitely keep watching.

But I refuse to get sucked into all the theories and plot details and mysteries and the levels that will unravel. Why??

Cuz I've been here before.

This show is LOST.

Been there done that. Spent 7 years on message boards deciphering all that crap and none of it mattered. It was just a writers whimsy and keeping the merry go round spinning. Nothing more.

Enjoy the ride. That's what I'm gonna do.

I really hope that's not the case. I loved the ride of Lost, it felt so empty that they didn't explain anything.
Nagler
AG
When I saw the old logo when I originally watched he episode I thought it was Supposed to be happening in the past. Didn't know it was supposed to go unnoticed until I got on here.

Not sure I think he's the man in black but I figured it was set in the past in some way.
Btron
AG
aggietoombs01 said:

Possible explanation for why Delores hasn't lied yet, as well as support for the Biblical theory

The flies aren't real(they are fake just like the horses). If they can create horses, they can create flies.

I think the flies are the delivery mechanism for the hosts to achieve self-awareness (knowledge outside of their original program) - goes along with the Biblical theory.

I think whoever "the devil" according to Ford is, is the "Lord(Creator) of the flies". Could be Abernathy(or those plotting rebellion against Ford, much like the original fall from grace)...we shall see.

Anyway...my $0.02

What do flies and the Bible have in common? I fail to see the connection...
Raptor
AG
Harris' character is a spy from another competing company in the genre of auto...autoerotica...err, automation.

He's finding out the secrets of the park so he can help Ingen close the gap. All we need are some savvy kids, military types, and we've got ourselves a hit!

Al Bula
AG
Out of left field theory....

Ed Harris is the avatar of Nedry in some VR simulated western video game.

MGS
"It's a Unix system, I know this."
AliasMan02
AG
I don't think anything Ford does is a mistake. Might have unintentional consequences sometimes, but he had his own personal agenda, which I think is to create true AI. And, to that effect, I think he is going to introduce faith into the hosts and their hierarchy of motivations.

The company's goal, I think, is to be able to create perfect copies of people WITHOUT AI, so that they can either be sold or maybe even so they can replace individuals to the company's benefit.

The company wants complete control. Ford wants self determination.
AliasMan02
AG
Second viewing of episode 2 and left with a few intriguing questions.

What is Teddy's role/character? We know from Delores that he dresses like a cowboy but isn't one. Her protective, former lawman dad didn't like him. Maeve says he's a sinner like her and that his sins left people dead. So, gunfighter? He wears a black hat if we're putting any stock in that. And he does draw on TMIB.

What do William and Logan do for a living? At dinner, William says he thought Logan didn't want to talk about work. Logan says "Who says this isn't work?" Interesting.

Just love this show.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
AliasMan02 said:

What is Teddy's role/character? We know from Delores that he dresses like a cowboy but isn't one. Her protective, former lawman dad didn't like him. Maeve says he's a sinner like her and that his sins left people dead. So, gunfighter? He wears a black hat if we're putting any stock in that. And he does draw on TMIB.

What do William and Logan do for a living? At dinner, William says he thought Logan didn't want to talk about work. Logan says "Who says this isn't work?" Interesting.

Just love this show.

Teddy is most likely a bounty hunter.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
amercer
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I assumed that just meant they were partners, and he had pitched the trip as team builiding. Also, they are brothers in law, or did I hear that wrong?
G Martin 87
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I don't think anything Ford does is a mistake. Might have unintentional consequences sometimes, but he had his own personal agenda, which I think is to create true AI. And, to that effect, I think he is going to introduce faith into the hosts and their hierarchy of motivations.

The company's goal, I think, is to be able to create perfect copies of people WITHOUT AI, so that they can either be sold or maybe even so they can replace individuals to the company's benefit.

The company wants complete control. Ford wants self determination.
So, Cylons. Could be that this show explores some of the same themes that the BSG reboot did.
zgood10
AG
This show rocks
Al Bula
AG
The west world park people look like the use Android phones in the future. No pun intended.
MW03
AG
That was an intense episode.
Btron
AG
What were the levels of Arnold's pyramid?
I have to think that the MIB is not so much a villain but helps enlighten the hosts. "Hey Delores this is what happens to you in the barn, start packing some heat"
mazzag
AG
That thing damaged his own brain so they couldn't dissect it?
3rdGen2015
AG
Another excellent episode.

My biggest takeaways are that I think Wyatt is modeled after the MiB and I also think that the MiB is Arnold. I think he faked his death and made it his duty to one day come back in order to create consciousness in the hosts. Wyatt's back story would totally fit with MiB if he turned out to be Arnold.

Unfortunately, I think we also have to put to bed the "William is the past MiB" theory. I think this episode showed that all of this was taking place in the same timeframe. The hosts that they had in Ford's flashback looked nothing like those in "present day".
TCTTS
AG
MiB being Arnold is a really cool idea. Love that. I also love the idea of that host damaging his own brain so they couldn't dissect it.

That said, I honestly wasn't a huge fan of this episode. I think I'm starting to realize that, for whatever reason, I have almost no interest in the storylines focusing on solely on the hosts, at least as of yet. All that stuff with Teddy on the hunt for Wyatt and his masked men bored me to death. Watching robots act out a storyline with no real human characters present whom I care about just doesn't interest me. I love watching the guests interact with the hosts, I love all the stuff with the MiB, and I love most of the stuff at mission control (even though the Bernard-and-his-deceased-son thing felt super cliched to me), but the robot-only scenes just don't resonate with me at all for whatever reason.

I know it's only one subpar episode (IMO) out of three, but I really hope this doesn't turn into a show where I'm more invested in the lore and trying to "figure it out" than I am in the episode-to-episode storylines. That, and I'm hoping we're finally moving past watching the hosts go through the same loop / story queues over and over. I realize the point is to show how the hosts are subtly changing and evolving, but it simultaneously makes the plot feel like its moving extra slow and treading water a bit. Something about this episode also felt very SyFy Channel-esque and distinctly not HBO, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It just didn't feel as refined for some reason.

Anyway, I guess I just need more reason to care about the plight of the robots and maybe that will come with time. Overall, I'm definitely still in, and there's so much legit intrigue, I just wasn't as engaged this episode as I was for the first two.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Um. Unless I'm crazy the masked men weren't hosts. Teddy's bullets did nothing which means guests.
TCTTS
AG
Good point. Adds a bit more mystery then I guess.
Bunk Moreland
Agree. I said to my buddy halfway through "I hope they don't want me feel anything about teddy because I couldn't give 2 ****s."

Im all in for at least a season or 2 so don't take my post the wrong way... But I feel like the show has major flaws and will continue to have issues as it goes on.

Im hoping to be proven wrong because so much about the show I want to be great and succeed, but I just see underlying problems throughout.
Bunk Moreland
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Um. Unless I'm crazy the masked men weren't hosts. Teddy's bullets did nothing which means guests.

That's how I took it too.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Actually I'll say guests or park employees.
TCTTS
AG
Really interesting interview with Nolan & Joy about this episode...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/16/westworld-interview-3-stray
TCTTS
AG
Also, I had no idea that Stubbs (the field guy who repels down into the hole) is the third Hemsworth brother. I'd seen him before, but never made the connection.
TCTTS
AG
I think I'm right there with you.
3rdGen2015
AG
Btron said:

I have to think that the MIB is not so much a villain but helps enlighten the hosts. "Hey Delores this is what happens to you in the barn, start packing some heat"

I just went to go rewatch that scene. Memory, improvisation, self interest, and the one they never figured out.
AliasMan02
AG
I can't wait to see what's different about the new narrative that Ford has created. So far it just seems as depraved and violent a fantasy as any other, but obviously that's not going to be the case in the end.
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, I had no idea that Stubbs (the field guy who repels down into the hole) is the third Hemsworth brother. I'd seen him before, but never made the connection.

#halfahemsworth
Rocagnante
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

Btron said:

I just went to go rewatch that scene. Memory, improvisation, self interest, and the one they never figured out.

Arnold believed the top of his pyramid was bicameral brain from primitive man. One side would "speak" a command and the other side would obey.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)
Btron
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

Btron said:

Thanks. I'm assuming that is foreshadowing/ host character development. If Arnold is truly back and changing things. His influence would follow this pryamid.
Apache
AG
I took it that they were human as well. Also, there was the "Calamity Jane" looking girl who was with them. I thought she was human as well.

Strange symbols, maps, "Others"... where have I seen this all before?

I am really enjoying it. I just hope that it doesn't become too muddled up and bogged down in its own mythology like Lost did.

MW03
AG
I don't think it was trying to prevent the study of its brain so much as I think the good samaritan aspect kicked in to keep it from killing a human.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.