*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,182 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Seeing a couple mock drafts having Jordan Bell being picked by the Spurs. I like the pick, while slightly undersized at PF, would bring defense/rebounding/athleticism in the post with the possibility of Dedmon and/or Lee being gone. Spurs will overpay to keep Mills vs. overpaying for a combo of Dedmon/Lee with Parker being out for 3/4 of season.
I would love to get him. He could guard a lot of positions. A lot of the mock drafts I've seen have him going in the mid twenties.

More than likely I think the Spurs go with a draft and stash due to their free agency/cap situation. I hope that's not the case though.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Messina is reportedly signing a two year extension with the Spurs.
GatorAg03
AG
Do y'all think the Spurs will jump in the trade bidding for Paul George?

I would much prefer CP3 but if they know that's a long shot, I wouldn't be against the Spurs throwing their hat in the ring for George or Butler.

I doubt some package of LMA, Gasol, Green and draft picks are all that enticing to either of them though.

I really want the Spurs to make a move now with next year's FA class looking so poor. Running it back with the same squad would be rather dull.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

Do y'all think the Spurs will jump in the trade bidding for Paul George?
I don't think so. He doesn't really fill a need for this team. I'm happy with Danny and hopefully Simmons. A PG is more of the pressing issue. I'd rather hold on to LA's size than go after George.

Plus if we go after a star, Kawhi deserves more than a player who will only be here for one year. George seems pretty dead set on being in LA. It would be nice to have a core of something for the next 5 years. Also if you factor in his gruesome injury, there's risk there, too.
Ag Natural
AG
The Pacers are going to want a valuable draft pick for George and the Spurs don't have any.
GatorAg03
AG
I think their is a good chance this is LMA's last year as a Spur so I wouldn't have an issue trading him for a one year rental of George. Plus Kawhi, Pop and winning might convince him to re-sign with the Spurs.

I would give up LMA and Green for George but I doubt the Spurs or the Pacers would do that.

It would be a pretty tall, young and versatile lineup of Murray , Simmons, Leonard, George and maybe Bertrans. Not a bad core to build around if you could convince George to re-sign. I agree that it doesnt make you much better though and likely doesn't beat a healthy warriors team.

I'm just so tired of Aldridge. I really don't want him to stay as our #2 option next year. I hope the Spurs can pull something off, just to mix it up if nothing else. I'm fine with Aldridge staying as a #3 option but he isn't Kawhi's Robin.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

I would give up LMA and Green for George but I doubt the Spurs or the Pacers would do that.

It would be a pretty tall, young and versatile lineup of Murray , Simmons, Leonard, George and maybe Bertrans. Not a bad core to build around if you could convince George to re-sign. I agree that it doesnt make you much better though and likely doesn't beat a healthy warriors team.

That would completely take away our size and depth. We might not even get to the WCF if we play against bigger teams.

And I don't think any team in the league can be assembled to beat a healthy Warriors team. But I do know that the Spurs showed they could compete against them with Kawhi, which is why I wouldn't mind if we ran it back. Our young guys would have another year under their belt.

Quote:

I'm fine with Aldridge staying as a #3 option but he isn't Kawhi's Robin.
I agree with this, too.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Also, after what happened in 2011, I'm not so sure the Pacers would pick up a phone call from the Spurs FO.
aggieactor01
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Also, after what happened in 2011, I'm not so sure the Pacers would pick up a phone call from the Spurs FO.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think anyone's really going to give the Pacers much for him because everybody knows it's going to be a one-year rental and he's just going to walk away for the Lakers.

If they would take a one-year rental of Gasol for a one-year rental of Paul I would be all for it. I have but I don't see that as being very likely
Enzo The Baker
AG
Gasol is opting out. But he intends on making a longer term deal according to Woj.

This should at least allow the Spurs to re-sign Simmons. It looks like if we want CP3, we'll have to trade LMA.
claym711
AG
The way Gasol moves, "long term" can't be more than 24 months...
Enzo The Baker
AG
I hope that's the case. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 3-year deal with a player option.
Guitarsoup
AG
Gasol could sign a 3y16mm deal, then retire after one more season and have the final two years stretched over 5 years. So instead of paying him 16mm next year, we pay him 16mm over the next 6 years.
superunknown
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Gasol is opting out. But he intends on making a longer term deal according to Woj.

This should at least allow the Spurs to re-sign Simmons. It looks like if we want CP3, we'll have to trade LMA.

Woj bombs are so glorious. He makes basketball twitter so great.
Enzo The Baker
AG
No surprise but David Lee also opts out. And like that, the Spurs have lost their bench front line. It'll be interesting to see how they fill it out. Maybe they have their eye on a couple of hopefuls in the draft. That's the only possible way they could go (other than a stash) right?
superunknown
AG
Aron Baynes opted out. I wonder what he thinks he'll get.
Enzo The Baker
AG
He said he thinks he's worth 7-10 million which is why he opted out. He won't be back in the Silver and Black. Unless he completely overestimated his value.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Also, FWIW Woj says there are strong indications that Manu will return.
West Texan
AG
I really want David Lee back. I love the way he fits with the bench unit with his energy and passing.
TyHolden
AG
We're moving up to get Ball
superunknown
AG
Reddit r/nba

I'd love to see Pau and pop negotiate.

Pop: 12 a year, for 4 years.

Pau: that is very generous, I would have been willing to take less but I cannot walk away from 48 million

Pop: dollars.

Pau: yes 48 million dollars mucho gracias

Pop: 48 dollars

Pau: that is ridiculous, I would rather not play than make so little.

Pop: you pay me 48 dollars.

Pau: I will not stand for such insult, I'm leaving you can speak with my agent.

Pop: <pulls out a pistol and places it on the table> let's not make any decisions we regret, just wait a minute maybe Tim can convince you. DUNCAN GET YOUR ASS IN HERE.

Tim: <enters the room carrying a large book> hi Paul!

Pau: it's pau actu

Pop: nobody cares, tie him up Timmy, wouldn't want another accident

Tim: I care I'm actually working on my Espanol. A new ethnic place opened down the road from my favorite comic book store and I want to be able to order without el embbarassingo mi selfo!

Pau: that's not even Spanish

Tim: that's why I'm here, you help me with my pronunciation, I'll help you with a contract, I've looked over the numbers and we can offer you 30 million 3 years, last year a team option.

Pau: do I have a choice?

Pop: I can shoot you if you want, otherwise Tim is gonna start reading his Spanish D&D dictionary out loud from front to back

Pau: So what kind of restaurant is this place Tim, do they speak Castilian, Andalusian, Latin American, or Caribbean Spanish?

Tim: I'm not sure, I haven't asked, there are multiple types of Mexican?

Pop: tell him the name of the place

Tim : jimboy's tacos, so maybe southern American Spanish?

Pau: please just shoot me now

Tim: what exactly is a quesarito?

GatorAg03
AG
This Pau deal is interesting. Seems like something had to be in play that they need space for immediately. Otherwise i would have much preferred one year at 15 million over 3 years at likely 9-10 million per for a soon to be 40 year old.

Does this Pau news make the CP3 deal more or less likely?

I also read a rumor that Green is on the trade block.
Guitarsoup
AG
I feel like Green has always been on the trade block.

With:
LMA 21
Kawhi 19
Parker 15
Green 10
Kyle 2
Bertrans 1
Murray 1
Duncan 1.8 (dead)
Livio 1.3 (dead)

We are at about 72 cap.

Salary holds:
Manu 21
Gasol 19
Patty 6.8
Dedmon 3.4
Simmons 1.6
Anthony 1.5
Lee 1.5

Get Manu to take Vet min = Cap 73
Waive rights to Pau, Patty, Dedmon, Anthony, Lee, but keep Simmons:

Cap =~74

That's about 29-30mm to play with. with a 102-104 cap.

Sign Chris Paul
Resign Simmons
Draft a big guy
Fill out with title chasers.

C: LMA
PF: Bertrans/1st rounder
SF: Kahwi/Anderson
SG: Green/Simmons/Manu
PG: Paul/Parker/Murray

Obi Wan Ginobili
Don't tell LMA he's playing Center, even though he moved through the playoffs like one.

He doesn't like playing Center lmballsoff
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

This Pau deal is interesting. Seems like something had to be in play that they need space for immediately. Otherwise i would have much preferred one year at 15 million over 3 years at likely 9-10 million per for a soon to be 40 year old.

To me this makes the CP3 deal less likely. I think this deal was primarily done to keep Simmons and maybe have some money to re-sign/sign other free agents. Like you said, I think at least half of Pau's $16 million will be used on Pau again.

Having CP3 without a good front court just doesn't make sense. He needs a good pick and pop guy to be effective. He's had that his whole career. If we are to assume the Spurs want to re-sign Pau (we know they are), and retain some of their free agents (likely), a move for CP3 cannot be made without unloading Aldridge, completely gutting our front court. Re-signing Pau took away the 'trading Pau and DG' option.
superunknown
AG
CP3 seems like the obvious move. What if its George Hill or Jeff Teague (at less money than the other 2) and more flexibility?

Are they setting up for 2018 free agency? Resign everyone and keep that cap room?

Have i seen too much CIA Pop to try and figure it out?
flashplayer
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Quote:

To me this makes the CP3 deal less likely. I think this deal was primarily done to keep Simmons and maybe have some money to re-sign/sign other free agents. Like you said, I think at least half of Pau's $16 million will be used on Pau again.

Having CP3 without a good front court just doesn't make sense. He needs a good pick and pop guy to be effective. He's had that his whole career. If we are to assume the Spurs want to re-sign Pau (we know they are), and retain some of their free agents (likely), a move for CP3 cannot be made without unloading Aldridge, completely gutting our front court. Re-signing Pau took away the 'trading Pau and DG' option.

I might be dumb, but I thought keeping Simmons was not an issue cap wise as the Spurs have his Arenas rights.

Also, keeping Mills was not a cap issue necessarily because they had his bird rights.

This absolutely means they are chasing free agents.
Enzo The Baker
AG
So the Spurs can use their MLE for Simmons this year?

Even if this is the case, they still don't have Chris Paul money wihout moving more pieces.
flashplayer
AG
They would need to make more room, depending on what Paul wants to demand. Green is an obvious choice, but in the interest of retaining valuable assets at affordable prices, is there some sort of way they can renounce Parker and if no one picks him up, re-sign him at more years? Like give him 3 years at $30 million?

I'm not a CBA wizard so I'm actually serious in asking this.

I know it may be heresy, but what would the spurs gain by renouncing Parker this year? Then signing him next summer if he is able to rehab. Does someone have to pick him up to get cap relief?
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Having CP3 without a good front court just doesn't make sense.

What great centers do we have to beat to win a title?
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

So the Spurs can use their MLE for Simmons this year?

Even if this is the case, they still don't have Chris Paul money wihout moving more pieces.
Spurs have Early Bird rights. They can go over the cap up to something like 8mm to sign him.

They could give Paul 30mm and still go over the cap another 8mm (really 6.4mm because he has a 1.6mm cap hold) to keep Simmons.
superunknown
AG
flashplayer said:

They would need to make more room, depending on what Paul wants to demand. Green is an obvious choice, but in the interest of retaining valuable assets at affordable prices, is there some sort of way they can renounce Parker and if no one picks him up, re-sign him at more years? Like give him 3 years at $30 million?

I'm not a CBA wizard so I'm actually serious in asking this.

I know it may be heresy, but what would the spurs gain by renouncing Parker this year? Then signing him next summer if he is able to rehab. Does someone have to pick him up to get cap relief?
Not possible.
2008and1
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili
Tony Parker has another year left. There is no renouncing him. Also, they wouldn't do that unless he had the ability to opt out and it was a gentlemens agreement that they would renounce his rights and he wouldn't go to anyone else.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.