*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

179,176 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Obi Wan Ginobili
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now that we have mercifully died after writhing around with the knife of Zaza ***** Ass Pachulia stuck in our spinal cord, lets have a look at the offseason to come.

2017-2018 Contracts

LaMarcus Aldridge - $21,461,010
Kawhi Leonard - $18,868,625
Pau Gasol - $16,197,500 (Player Option)
Tony Parker - $15,453,126
Danny Green - $10,000,000
Dewayne Dedmon - $3,028,410 (Player Option)
Kyle Anderson - $2,151,704
David Lee - $1,605,967 (Player Option)
Dejounte Murray - $1,233,240
Davis Bertans - $905,249
Bryn Forbes - $905,249

TOTAL - $91,810,080
(This number doesn't count Timmy's $1.88 million cap hit, nor does it include Livio Jean-Charles contract, which I believe is fully guaranteed, so that will be an additional $1.24 million cap hit.)
(This number will also change based on the three player options, as well as the minimum amount allotted for roster holds)

2017-2018 Free Agents

Manu Ginobili
Patty Mills
Jonathan Simmons
Joel Anthony
saltydog13
AG
What would be the most realistic possibility for LMA?
Obi Wan Ginobili
Top available players, by position

Point Guard

Steph Curry
Chris Paul (Player Option)
Kyle Lowry
Jrue Holiday
George Hill
Jeff Teague
Derrick Rose
Rajon Rondo (Team Option)
Patty Mills
Shaun Livingston
Deron Williams

Shoot Guard

Dwyane Wade (Player Option)
JJ Redick
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (Restricted)
Dion Waiters (Player Option)
Kyle Korver
Andre Roberson (Restricted)
Tim Hardaway Jr.(Restricted)
Jonathan Simmons (Restricted)
Tony Allen
Tyreke Evans

Small Forward

Kevin Durant (Player Option)
Gordon Hayward (Player Option)
Danilo Gallinari (Player Option)
Otto Porter (Restricted)
Rudy Gay (Player Option)
Andre Iguodala
PJ Tucker
James Johnson
Bojan Bogdanovic (Restricted)
Joe Ingles (Restricted)

Power Forward

Blake Griffin (Player Option)
Paul Millsap (Player Option)
Serge Ibaka
Pau Gasol (Player Option)
Dirk Nowitzki (Team Option)
Ersan Ilyasova
Zach Randolph
Taj Gibson
Nikola Mirotic (Restricted)
Amir Johnson

Center

Greg Monroe (Player Option)
Nerlens Noel (Restricted)
Mason Plumlee (Restricted)
Dewayne Dedmon (Player Option)
Kelly Olynyk (Restricted)
Aron Baynes (Player Option)
Nene
JaVale McGee
Andrew Bogut
Obi Wan Ginobili
BirdhunterAg13 said:

The most realistic thing that is going to happen? We are going to roll with him for another year and see if he opts in to the final year of his deal next summer.

If the front office really wants to move him, they would have to pray to the powers above that some team thinks they can use him and he is worth 21-22 million per year for at least two more years. Best case scenario is we get some kind of useful bench player with a small salary. Most likely scenario (assuming someone wants him, which I doubt), is we get a couple of second round picks spread out over the next 3-4 years.
Guitarsoup
AG
BirdhunterAg13 said:

He continues to suck as he steals another 45mm from the Spurs over the next two years.

He has a 15% trade kicker.

However, it still isn't a terrible number considering the new max-level salaries at 36mm (would be ~24mm with trade kicker) if you think he can put up good numbers on an average to terrible team somewhere else like he did in Portland.
aggieactor01
AG
Thanks for putting that together Obi Wan.

Nothing to contribute to the discussion at the moment. Just watchlisting.
BT1395
AG
Great job, OP.

Not much to contribute other than the fact that Parker is coming back (per a source close to the situation). I don't think that's necessarily a surprise, but I know some have been speculating that maybe he would hang it up.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Quote:

Point Guard

Steph Curry
Chris Paul (Player Option)
Kyle Lowry
Jrue Holiday
George Hill
Jeff Teague
Derrick Rose
Rajon Rondo (Team Option)
Patty Mills
Shaun Livingston
Deron Williams

It seems like it's a foregone conclusion that Steph signs with the Warriors. What I don't know is if he is going to get the 5 year, $205 million supermax he's eligible for, or if he is going to take a relatively team friendly deal to help keep the nucleus together. If they give him the supermax, that's 41 per year, leaving only 60-65 million to sign everyone else.

CP3 is the dream for the Spurs. I've said this a couple times on different threads, but he checks every box, and he fills our biggest need. (He checks the box for just about every team, in every way).

Lowry is looking at a big payday, so he is likely priced out of our market. I'm not even sure I would want him that much. I don't see how he fits with Kawhi and LMA.

Jrue Holiday and George Hill are likely priced out of our market as well, although both have an injury history to consider.

Jeff Teague is who I am really interested in. He can score, he can initiate the offense, and most importantly, he played in Atlanta under Coach Bud, so the idea of a fluid, ball movement offense won't require a big learning curve. I don't really know what the market for him is. Indy is definitely going to want to keep him, especially if they have to let go of Paul George.

Derrick Rose and Rajon Rondo are both out, I think. Derrick Rose wouldn't fit the offense, nor can you count on him to play more than 40 games per year. Rondo, weirdly, would fit the Spurs needs pretty well, but I think Popovich would probably get into a fist fight with the Franklin the Turtle by the Rodeo Road Trip. Rondo is a top talent running a fast break, he's a superb passer, and he can drive and finish at the rim. His jump shot can be hot garbage, but he wouldn't be asked to score outside of slicing into the lane.

Patty is a known entity. The team knows what they are getting from him, and they know what he is worth. If nothing else works out, and he isn't offered something ridiculous from another team, I think we see him in silver and black for a few more seasons. He's never going to be Tony Parker, but coming off the bench to lead a run and gun second unit is his specialty. He's also a glue guy. The team would miss him waving a towel on the sidelines.

Shaun Livingston is probably going to take another cheapo deal to stay with Golden State. He knows he isn't good enough to start on a good team. Why screw up the good thing he has.

Deron Williams is probably going the same route as Livingston. He's got enough money. Might as well pick a playoff team and play into the summer instead of finishing each year in April on a middling team.
Obi Wan Ginobili
If the Spurs have any luck left, Pau will opt out of the final year of his deal and look to sign one, final multi year deal.

I seriously doubt that it happens, but it's not completely unthinkable. He's got rings, and he's got a few years left. Someone might be willing to take him on for 2-3 years.
Guitarsoup
AG
Especially a young team that has young post players that need to be mentored and needs to hit the salary floor. Looking at you Philadelphia.
Matsui
AG
Thanks obi! When does free agency begin?
Guitarsoup
AG
A few salary things:

Bryn Forbes's 1.3mm is unguaranteed.

Patty's Cap hold is 6.8mm
Simmons' Cap Hold is 1.6mm with a QO of 1.2mm.

If we can get Parker to retire, he still gets his $15mm, but it is spread out over 3 years. So instead of a 15mm cap hit, it is 5mm.

I think Dedmon and Lee are both steals at 3mm/1.6mm, so I hope they both opt in.

Best Case Scenario:

Gasol Opts out and leaves
Dedmon/Lee opt in and stay
Parker retires.
Spurs waive bird rights to Patty, Manu and Anthony
Spurs extend QO to Simmons

Team is:

21.4 - LMAo
18.9 - Kawhi
10.0 - Green
5.0 - Parker - Dead Money
3.0 - Dedmon
2.1 - Anderson
1.9 - Duncan - Dead Money
1.6 - Simmons - Cap Hold
1.6 - Lee
1.3 - Bertrans
1.2 - Murray
1.2 - Livio - Dead Money
0.9 Cap Hold - 29th Pick in draft, can be reduced if we draft+stash to .6
0.6 Cap Hold
0.6 Cap Hold
---------------------------------------
~71mm with a projected cap at 101-103mm.

If you have Lee + Dedmon walk away, you only gain another 3.4 (their salaries minus .6mm cap hold for each.) I'd rather have them than another 3.4mm.

We could then go over the cap to resign Simmons. Same deal with Patty, but I don't think he is worth MLE-type money for us, especially if we can use 30mm to sign a top-flight PG and use Murray as our #2.

But again, that all relies on Gasol opting out and Parker retiring. That 30-33mm in cap space becomes barely MLE space pretty quick.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Obi Wan Ginobili
Matsui said:

Thanks obi! When does free agency begin?
The new league year starts July 1. Free agents can reach verbal agreements, but contracts can't be signed until the 6th or so.
BT1395
AG
"But again, that all relies on Gasol opting out and Parker retiring. That 30-33mm in cap space becomes barely MLE space pretty quick."

Parker ain't retiring this year. Book it.
Guitarsoup
AG
From the Sports Medicine doctor I talked to, he may not have any choice.
BT1395
AG
We'll find out soon enough I guess. My source is very close to the situation and I think we'll see him in silver and black again next year (perhaps not until mid-season though). Whether that's what's best for the team or not is a different story...
Obi Wan Ginobili
Guitarsoup said:

A few salary things:

Bryn Forbes's 1.3mm is unguaranteed.

Patty's Cap hold is 6.8mm
Simmons' Cap Hold is 1.6mm with a QO of 1.2mm.

If we can get Parker to retire, he still gets his $15mm, but it is spread out over 3 years. So instead of a 15mm cap hit, it is 5mm.

I think Dedmon and Lee are both steals at 3mm/1.6mm, so I hope they both opt in.

Best Case Scenario:

Gasol Opts out and leaves
Dedmon/Lee opt in and stay
Parker retires.
Spurs waive bird rights to Patty, Manu and Anthony
Spurs extend QO to Simmons

Team is:

21.4 - LMAo
18.9 - Kawhi
10.0 - Green
5.0 - Parker - Dead Money
3.0 - Dedmon
2.1 - Anderson
1.9 - Duncan - Dead Money
1.6 - Simmons - Cap Hold
1.6 - Lee
1.3 - Bertrans
1.2 - Murray
1.2 - Livio - Dead Money
0.9 Cap Hold - 29th Pick in draft, can be reduced if we draft+stash to .6
0.6 Cap Hold
0.6 Cap Hold
---------------------------------------
~71mm with a projected cap at 101-103mm.

If you have Lee + Dedmon walk away, you only gain another 3.4 (their salaries minus .6mm cap hold for each.) I'd rather have them than another 3.4mm.

We could then go over the cap to resign Simmons. Same deal with Patty, but I don't think he is worth MLE-type money for us, especially if we can use 30mm to sign a top-flight PG and use Murray as our #2.

But again, that all relies on Gasol opting out and Parker retiring. That 30-33mm in cap space becomes barely MLE space pretty quick.
I've heard from more than a few people that Tony isn't retiring. Since restructuring contracts basically doesn't exist in the NBA, that 15 million is pretty much a sure thing.

Simmons is going to get between 6 and 10 million a year. I personally think 8 million is the lowest he will get, and it won't take long once July 1st rolls around for him to reach a verbal with someone. That inflates the payroll to somewhere in the 87 million range. That leaves about 16 million in cap space, before Lee and Dedmon. I don't think either one of them will opt in, so we would have to shell out 3-5 million for both.

Basically, someone needs to take Pau out to dinner and explain to him how much of a big bird looking doofus he is and hope he gets pissed and leaves.
West Texan
AG
If I'm the Spurs front office, I do everything I can to see if Chris Paul wants to wear silver and black. Much like GS signing Durant, you can sacrifice some depth for an elite player.

I would also prioritize Simmons over Patty. I'd love to keep both, but if you have to let one walk, I'd rather keep the guy that is capable of guarding at an elite level and has shown the ability to create his own scoring. Plus it opens the door for Murray to take on a bigger role and not just being the 3rd pg and spending half the season in Austin.

If you can't get Chris Paul, I'm not sure any of the other free agent pgs are the answer, and I'd rather ride with Patty and Murray.
Obi Wan Ginobili
West Texan said:

If I'm the Spurs front office, I do everything I can to see if Chris Paul wants to wear silver and black. Much like GS signing Durant, you can sacrifice some depth for an elite player. #PREACH

I would also prioritize Simmons over Patty. Me too. I love Patty, but we need someone to stand side by side with Kawhi and Danny to guard the Warriors. That's the hurdle for the foreseeable future. Build your team to win games and beat the Warriors.

If you can't get Chris Paul, I'm not sure any of the other free agent pgs are the answer, and I'd rather ride with Patty and Murray. I disagree, kind of. George Hill is a real good point guard, and a lengthy defender. Pop loves him. He would be a God send to this team. As I also mentioned before, Jeff Teague is interesting.
West Texan
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

West Texan said:

If I'm the Spurs front office, I do everything I can to see if Chris Paul wants to wear silver and black. Much like GS signing Durant, you can sacrifice some depth for an elite player. #PREACH

I would also prioritize Simmons over Patty. Me too. I love Patty, but we need someone to stand side by side with Kawhi and Danny to guard the Warriors. That's the hurdle for the foreseeable future. Build your team to win games and beat the Warriors.

If you can't get Chris Paul, I'm not sure any of the other free agent pgs are the answer, and I'd rather ride with Patty and Murray. I disagree, kind of. George Hill is a real good point guard, and a lengthy defender. Pop loves him. He would be a God send to this team.

I wouldn't mind Hill and I think we could possibly get a little bit of a discount for him that other teams maybe couldn't, but I'm not sure he puts us over the hump.

We're in a unique situation of contending immediately and for the future. It really comes down to what Pop and management think Murray's ceiling is. When they drafted Kawhi, they clearly saw something more than just Bruce Bowen 2.0. Do they think Murray could be the guy to take the reins and lead us back to the finals? If so, then unless we're getting Paul, I'd rather let Murray get as much time on the court developing and playing with and against NBA players as possible.
Guitarsoup
AG
I like George Hill a lot, but I think someone will overpay him. He may take less to be reunited with Pop and take over Tony's spot, though.

Also, he has played under 50 games in two of the last three years.
West Texan
AG
As a complete pipe dream, and definitely not a priority, but I've always loved Paul Millsap and think he'd be a great fit with the Spurs.

Ok, back to figuring out what the heck we do about pg.
Guitarsoup
AG
If we could somehow dump Gasol and get CP3 in while keeping Simmons, that is the only team that could go toe to toe with GSW on defense.

LMA/Kawhi/Simmons/Green/CP3 would be an incredible defensive lineup.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I like George Hill a lot, but I think someone will overpay him. He may take less to be reunited with Pop and take over Tony's spot, though.

Also, he has played under 50 games in two of the last three years.

I agree that someone throws too much money at Hill.

However, the more I think about a Hill, Green, Kawhi, Simmons, and Lamarcus small ball lineup is a pretty scary defensive unit (which isn't normally said about small ball groups).
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

If we could somehow dump Gasol and get CP3 in while keeping Simmons, that is the only team that could go toe to toe with GSW on defense.

LMA/Kawhi/Simmons/Green/CP3 would be an incredible defensive lineup.

That lineup also makes it harder for GS to hide people defensively. Green is an elite defender and Thompson is a very good defender, but after that it's a collection of average to below average defenders.
Guitarsoup
AG
Also to note: If Gasol stays and Parker wants to play one more, we don't have the cap space to go after anyone.

2018 PG Free Agents:
Rajon Rondo
Isaiah Thomas
Ramon Sessions
Langston Galloway
CJ Watson
Jameer Nelson
Marcus Smart
Elfried Payton
Tim Frazier

So yeah, 2017 is the summer to find Parker's replacement.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Do you think there is any chance we can convince the point god to take his player option and waste one more year in Clipperland so that we can shed Pau and Tony's awful contracts?
Guitarsoup
AG
I think the Clippers break up this summer and Paul leaves regardless.

To keep the team together, they are going to have to spend ~180-190mm including non-repeater tax. In six years together, they have three first round exits and three second round exits. How can you pay that much for a #3-7 team?

Plus we throw in some European players and Pop will tell Doc who to draft.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

To keep the team together, they are going to have to spend ~180-190mm including non-repeater tax. In six years together, they have three first round exits and three second round exits. How can you pay that much for a #3-7 team?

I would hate having to root for Blake Griffin in this hypothetical.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

I would hate having to root for Blake Griffin in this hypothetical.
Better than rooting for the sip Aldridge.
Iowaggie
AG
Would Spurs fans be excited or disappointed or cringing if Manu decides to try to return?
Guitarsoup
AG
Excited. We paid him a lot last year, so vet min so we don't screw with any other free agency stuff.
TheDino
AG
Excited.

It's only been a few hours and I already miss watching him play.
superunknown
AG
Am reading that JSimmons is subject to the Gilbert Arenas rule and if the spurs do a QO the max he can be offered is 7.7M. Anyone know more?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.