*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,215 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Guitarsoup said:

Either JD Shaw doesn't know what shopped means or I don't.
LawHall88
AG
Ulrich said:

Guitarsoup said:

Yea, I don't know the difference between "shopped" and "tested his value."
Guitarsoup
AG
JD Shaw:

Pumpkinhead
AG
LawHall88 said:

Ulrich said:

Guitarsoup said:

Yea, I don't know the difference between "shopped" and "tested his value."
'Shopped' means the Spurs called other teams and said 'We are interested in trading Aldridge. What would you be willing to give us for him?'

'Tested his value' means the Spurs called other teams and said 'Hypothetically, if we were interested in trading Aldridge, what would you be willing to give us for him?"

Guitarsoup
AG
Maybe other teams called the Spurs

"Hey Pop, we really need a 7' 270lb guy that shies away from contact, shrinks like a scrotum in cold water in the playoffs and only really likes to take 18-22' jump shots. We'll give you a lottery pick for LaMarcus!"
tbirdspur2010
AG
Guitarsoup said:

That fantasy land where Mr. Shaw lives sounds like a wonderful place.
LawHall88
AG
Um...

Guitarsoup
AG
So much for enough cap space for two good players.
Ulrich
Not sure about that one....
Ag Natural
AG
Did not expect that high of a price for Gasol. Pop must have fallen in love.
Guitarsoup
AG
Pau Gasol's agent:

tbirdspur2010
AG
LawHall88 said:

Um...

Jesus....
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
LawHall88 said:

Um...

2008and1
AG
Did not expect that
superunknown
AG
Yeah that one hurts...
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
On the surface it looks pretty ****ty, I guess we'll have to see how it's all structured when the details come out. It could be that he's paid more in Year 1 as a "thanks for opting out while we tried to grab a big time FA this offseason" and then drops off in Year 2. I guess that could minimize the cap blow.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Quote:

Chris Haynes ? @ChrisBHaynes

Free agent Derrick Rose has reached an agreement on a one-year, $2.1 million deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers, league sources tell ESPN.

6:12 PM - 24 Jul 2017

TyHolden
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

Quote:

Free agent Derrick Rose has reached an agreement on a one-year, $2.1 million deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers, league sources tell ESPN.

kyrie is ours
Enzo The Baker
AG
DSAg44 said:

tbirdspur2010 said:

Quote:

kyrie is ours

Rose is a D-Will replacement, not Kyrie's.
Enzo The Baker
AG
But now that we know what Gasol's contract looks like, maybe the Spurs should go all in for Kyrie now, given that they won't have the flexibility we thought next year.
TyHolden
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

DSAg44 said:

tbirdspur2010 said:

Quote:

kyrie is ours

Rose is a D-Will replacement, not Kyrie's.
kyrie is not ours
Enzo The Baker
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

I don't say this often, but terrible move by Spurs. Chalk this one up with Jefferson and Aldridge.

I still don't see how so many think Aldridge is a bad move. What else were the Spurs going to do to move in without Duncan? He hasn't been the exact player we hoped for but the team is still very good with him. And his contract is a bargain compared to what people are gettin on the market now.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

AustinAg2012 said:

I don't say this often, but terrible move by Spurs. Chalk this one up with Jefferson and Aldridge.

I still don't see how so many think Aldridge is a bad move. What else were the Spurs going to do to move in without Duncan? He hasn't been the exact player we hoped for but the team is still very good with him. And his contract is a bargain compared to what people are gettin on the market now.

We just have unfairly high standards for our marquee big men after #50 and #21 back to back.

Although some mental freaking fortitude would be nice to see from our dear ol' sippy-poo.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Nonetheless, sill a huge overreaction to a Kawhiless Spurs in a series they had no chance of winning without him.
flashplayer
AG
Wow, I'd be scrambling to switch to Gasol's agent if I were an old fogey. Jeez man.

I hope his 3rd year is like a $1 guarantee so that he can be dumped off as an expiring deal next summer.
flashplayer
AG
How much higher can the first year be than the 2nd?

Edit- google tells me 8%. That blows. Means the Spurs are on the hook for 16 million for that washed up turd next summer. Good grief.
superunknown
AG
So Matthew Tynan thinks its all ok. He's been tweeting up a storm

Ulrich
superunknown said:

I don't understand the salary cap.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Every time the off-season comes around I'm reminded why no one pays me to figure out basketball contract structures.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

"Talking to some executives today, they think the team that could make the Cleveland Cavs the best offer for Kyrie Irving is the Phoenix Suns," Windhorst said. "They have a package they could offer with Eric Bledsoe and possibly this guy they just drafted, Josh Jackson. Would they be willing to include that prized young player in a package for Kyrie Irving? It's unclear at this point."
Apparently the Cavs are wanting a proven veteran and a young talent.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Quote:

"Talking to some executives today, they think the team that could make the Cleveland Cavs the best offer for Kyrie Irving is the Phoenix Suns," Windhorst said. "They have a package they could offer with Eric Bledsoe and possibly this guy they just drafted, Josh Jackson. Would they be willing to include that prized young player in a package for Kyrie Irving? It's unclear at this point."
Apparently the Cavs are wanting a proven veteran and a young talent.

This is the kind of trade that may make sense for both parties. For Cavs, Bledsoe if healthy is a good two way player (not the offensive star as Irving but much better defensively) and Josh Jackson is a athletic wing who needs to learn how to shoot but can immediately contribute on defense switching out on Warriors on the perimeter. Rose is backup PG for their second unit. Cavs are not as good offensively but should be a better defensive team with those changes. They probably still get to NBA Finals next season and then instead of trying to outrun and outscore GS (which netted them only 1 win anyways) maybe they try the ground and pound approach.

Plus they would also get a future pick from Suns.

For Suns, I would absolutely trade Bledsoe and Jackson for a 25 year old Irving who already has shown he can be a top-10 player in league, and pair Irving with Booker.
FTAG 2000
AG
Windhorst is practically the spokesperson for James. He's telling Phoenix what it will take to get it done in the public domain.
Pumpkinhead
AG
AG 2000' said:

Windhorst is practically the spokesperson for James. He's telling Phoenix what it will take to get it done in the public domain.
You may also see leaks to stir the pot in the public domain with other teams. There are no doubt several different offers being made the Cavs.
Ag Natural
AG
Ulrich said:

superunknown said:

I don't understand the salary cap.
The simple answer if you can go above the cap to resign a current player and you can't go above the cap to bring in a new one. There are a couple of exceptions (a low one @2.5 million or so and the mid-level @8 million or so). Those can be used on anyone and essentially don't count against the cap.

This is why you see some team apparently overpay to resign a current player. It's why GSW gave Iggy and Livingston pretty big contracts and it's why Cleveland gave Korver a nice deal.

Of course, the question I always have to ask it why over pay? These guys aren't going to be able to get huge money elsewhere. How much would Pau get as a FA somewhere else? I guess the situation is that Pau and his agent know the Spurs need a big guy and it's either overpay for Pau or go find a journeyman for $2 million. In that sense the player can just play chicken and usually win.
superunknown
AG
Yeah once i slept on it and realized the cap implications (ie, money spent on Pau is NOT money we could have thrown at another FA) it made me feel a little better. I just have to remind myself $16m a season is not for Pau Gasol's production on the court, its a contract/asset we can flip that we wouldn't have had access to otherwise.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.