*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,049 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LeBron will either finish out his career in Cleveland or move to LA. He ain't coming here.

Jerry West moving to the Clippers may reduce the already slim chance that Paul bolts. Maybe he sells Paul to sit tight one year and wait for Lebron?
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Kyrie likes Murray.

Biggest shock here was D. Murray has tmobile.
Obi Wan Ginobili
azulAg said:

No doubt we would win many rings with lebron on spurs, would hate the bandwagons that come with him, spurs game ticket prices would skyrocket, and we might never get to see Kawhi become the Leader of the team

Do you read the **** you type before you post it?

You don't want bandwagon fans? Who gives a ***** Half the people at the arena can't name anyone on the squad past the starters and Manu.

Mofo is worried about ticket prices. Not the game. Not a game. We talkin bout ticket prices.

Kawhi just spent an entire season carrying this team. He's already reached leader of the team/alpha dog status. Did we watch the same team all season?
aggie_fan13
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

azulAg said:

No doubt we would win many rings with lebron on spurs, would hate the bandwagons that come with him, spurs game ticket prices would skyrocket, and we might never get to see Kawhi become the Leader of the team

You don't want bandwagon fans? Who gives a ***** Half the people at the arena can't name anyone on the squad past the starters and Manu.

Mofo is worried about ticket prices. Not the game. Not a game. We talkin bout ticket prices.

Kawhi just spent an entire season carrying this team. He's already reached leader of the team/alpha dog status. Did we watch the same team all season?
you have to be trolling
Obi Wan Ginobili
azulAg said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

azulAg said:

you have to be trolling

....Says the one who posts moronic **** like "I don't care to see LeBron in San Antonio, it would make tickets too expensive" just to get attention...
aggie_fan13
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

azulAg said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

azulAg said:

you have to be trolling

....Says the one who posts moronic **** like "I don't care to see LeBron in San Antonio, it would make tickets too expensive" just to get attention...
there are several other reasons why i wouldn't want him those are just a few, take the stick out of your ass
Obi Wan Ginobili
azulAg said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

azulAg said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

azulAg said:

you have to be trolling

there are several other reasons why i wouldn't want him those are just a few, take the stick out of your ass

Enlighten us. If you're really a Spurs fan(which I doubt more and more every day), you're going to have to come up with something better than ticket prices.
aggie_fan13
AG
i dont like lebron, i would rather watch the spurs lose then to have lebron come here and win rings for us, i hate the ideas of super teams, i want to see if kawhi can lead us without a major all star, etc....
Obi Wan Ginobili
Do me a favor.

Leave your posts up until tomorrow evening so all the regulars can have a chance to cry/laugh all over this thread.

Waaaahhhhhhhhh, I don't like LeBron!!!!! He goes to the finals every year and makes tickets more valuable!!!! #azulout
NickNaylor
Azul is a beating.
Obi Wan Ginobili
NickNaylor said:

Azul is a beating.

I'm enjoying him/her. Azul is like the heavy bag at the gym. You can just go to work on it all day, every day, and it never throws a punch back.
superunknown
AG
azulAg said:

i dont like lebron, i would rather watch the spurs lose then to have lebron come here and win rings for us, i hate the ideas of super teams, i want to see if kawhi can lead us without a major all star, etc....

I didnt suffer through the first 20something years of my life as a Spurs diehard watching guys like Frank Brickowski, David Wingate, Jaren Jackson, etc. as starters to get all butthurt if the best players in the world want to come down to the Riverwalk for more LOB parades. I say bring 'em on. The ring is the thing.
Chipotlemonger
AG
You're crazy. No wonder I mistook you for a Rockets fan on another thread recently.
aggie_fan13
AG
superunknown said:

azulAg said:

I didnt suffer through the first 20something years of my life as a Spurs diehard watching guys like Frank Brickowski, David Wingate, Jaren Jackson, etc. as starters to get all butthurt if the best players in the world want to come down to the Riverwalk for more LOB parades. I say bring 'em on. The ring is the thing.
that's great and I love that we would be considered. I just simply don't want lebron and I can say a majority of Spurs that I know wouldn't want him here either. I don't want a super team
aggie_fan13
AG
You can call me a moron, jackass etc... But at the end of the day I know that I would rather win with the team we have now than one with lebron, it would be more satisfying
Obi Wan Ginobili
azulAg said:

You can call me a moron, jackass etc... But at the end of the day I know that I would rather win with the team we have now than one with lebron, it would be more satisfying

Moron. Jackass. Etc.
aggie_fan13
tbone421998
AG
azulAg said:

Sure it would be more satisfying but the odds of that happening are slim and none and slim just left the building.
superunknown
AG
Do the majority of spurs fans want to not contend for titles? Because that's what happens when you don't even think about going for the best free agents. The draft steals of Ginobili and Parker are incredibly rare events. We got lucky and hit with those just as we got lotto lucky with TD when 50 went down. I trust PATFO more than anything else in life but for every Ginobili there's 2-3 Viktor Sanizkide types who never amount to anything and thats fine because that's what happens when you're drafting at the end of the round.

I don't care about super teams especially if my team is one. I want to be the team everyone puts a target on. If you wanna be the guy who roots for the lovable losers because they're your team that's great. I already have one of those in my life. (#YESSIR!) I will always root for the Spurs no matter what but if you don't want the Spurs to be competitive then you don't want sellouts at the AtT center and you don't want PATFO to have the Holt family's checkbook open when needed because a team that relies exclusively on homegrown talent is aiming solidly for the 6 seed in their best years. After 20 years of championship sniffing I wonder how many Go Spurs Go placards are gonna be waving around town in that scenario.

I dont want to go back to that Milwaukee level of the NBA. Have you ever been to a Spurs game on the road? The level of intensity is high and it's part hate and part envy and all awesome because the Spurs are feared throughout the league. I get that as superfans we latch onto guys like Jonathan Simmons and Patty Mills but without the ability to infuse the Spurs bloodline with new talent in their prime, we're not a target anymore, we are a Houston or a Philly at one end or the other of the "trust the process" spectrum. I'm spoiled. I want championships and the Spurs have shown time and time again they can evolve with the NBA and i dont understand why someone would willfully take out one of the quicker, more effective ways to that.
GatorAg03
AG
The bigger issue is how do you get enough talent around Kawhi if you don't sign big time free agents? Recent history shows it takes 3 if not 4 all-star caliber players to have a realistic shot at the title.

The Spurs are sitting at 1.75 all-stars as they enter Kawhi's prime. It's almost impossible to tank with a healthy Kawhi on your team to get high draft picks so you are limited to chasing free agents to get that all-star number approaching 3 and to give yourself a realistic shot.

Also, don't discount the possibility of Pop retiring and Kawhi wanting to play in California if a real path doesn't emerge over the next couple years. The next two years and off-seasons are pretty critical and putting all your eggs in the D Murray basket is risky for sure.

Most Spurs fans don't know how good they have it (us Aggie Spurs fans typically understand much better).
aggie_fan13
AG
I'll root for the Spurs if they're dead last I'll root for them if they had lebron and are #1. All I'm saying is it won't be as satisfying
West Texan
AG
Saying things like this...

azulAg said:

Then trying to back track and change your stance like this...

azulAg said:

I'll root for the Spurs if they're dead last I'll root for them if they had lebron and are #1. All I'm saying is it won't be as satisfying

Is just one of the many, many reasons everyone in this thread thinks you're an idiot.
Ganondorf
AG
Just lol, absolutely lol, at anyone who says they don't want LeBron. Lol.

Lol.

Lol.
LawHall88
AG
LeBron says he didn't start the superteam:

Quote:

Aside from wearing a T-shirt mocking the Cavs' early exit from the Finals and making fun of James' new haircut that makes the 32-year-old look bald, Green also declared, "You started the superteam, bro!" while quoting James' statement that he never played on a superteam.

"No," James said when Green's superteam comments came up in the episode released Friday. "No. I mean in 2003, the Lakers combined Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Shaq and Kobe. And in '96, when Jordan was retired, the Rockets joined Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler all on the same team.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19653204/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-says-start-superteam-era-nba

Certainly he understands that bringing together big names that are past their prime is not really a "superteam," but whatever. And yes, I know Kobe and Shaq were still going strong in 2003, but Malone and Payton were at the end of their careers.

But to the larger point, any team would take LeBron in a heartbeat. It's not even a debatable issue.
Pumpkinhead
AG
'Super teams' (which I personally set the minimum bar to be called as such when you put together a roster with at least three legit All-stars of whom at least 1 is a top-5 NBA player) seems to be the primary way to be a contender for an NBA titles...definitely if you want any shot at all competing with Warriors or Cavs next year.

Adapt or die. Looks like that azul poster would choose death as a Spurs fan since he doesn't want a 'superteam' in San Antonio.
Pumpkinhead
AG
LeBron saying he didn't play on a 'superteam' in Miami is hilarious. In their big party down in Miami after the 'Decision', LeBron, Wade, and Bosh were shouting out to the excited Miami fans about how their superteam was going to win the next 6 NBA titles.
GatorAg03
AG
Yes, LeBron definitely was on a super team but he didn't start the trend. I would say it's roots started on the post Jordan rockets when Clyde and Barkley signed for cheap. The first successful super team were the KG, Allen, Pierce - Celtics.

LeBron took it to an extreme level when he went to Miami and Durant took it to an even more extreme level by signing with a 70+ win team that had recently won a championship and that had 3 all Stars including and MVP winner.

If LeBron goes to the Warriors after next year then we will have peaked out on extreme super teams.
superunknown
AG
azulAg said:

Me as a spurs fan if they had LeBron. Winning is satisfying. No championship = wasted season.

AggieOO
do i like lebron? no.

do i WANT lebron? no.

would i take him in a heartbeat if we got the chance? abso****inglutely.
Ag Natural
AG
I only have an issue with the "superteam" formation if the players got together and took less money to make it happen. That is exactly what happened in Miami and it was bogus. I dont see that happening very often.

What Durant did has nothing to do with the Warriors. He's just a soft pansy and wanted to guarantee wins. GSW was incredibly lucky. They had cap room because the cap spiked last year and because the current Curry contract is ridiculously low because he was still fighting injuries when he signed it.

So the Warriors are a superteam but they didn't do anything unnatural to form it. I'd argue the Lakers stealing Pau Gosul from Memphis was worse.

With all that being said, if Labron wants to come here and the Spurs can afford it. Why the hell not?
Ulrich
LeBron would be a great Spur. He's getting up there, in age, but still the best player in the world with clear separation between him and second place.
Obi Wan Ginobili
LeBron will likely never play in San Antonio, but I've never understood the argument that he isn't a fit on the Spurs.

The argument I hear most is that he doesn't want to be coached. I can only assume people think that because he has openly defied his head coach before mid-game. While he probably shouldn't have been so loose with his emotions, LeBron knows exactly what he is capable of, and what needs to be done to win a game. He doesn't really need coaching.

Having said that, he's never had a coach even 1/10th the caliber of Popovich. How can anyone say he doesn't want to be coached? He's never met someone who COULD coach him at this level.

The other argument I hear is that he isn't a fit. The dude gets raked over the coals for passing to wide open gunners, but now all of a sudden, on a team where that is not only encouraged but tattooed on each players brain, that's "not a good fit"? Kawhi and LeBron running pick and rolls for each other would be so impossible to stop that the NBA would probably fine the Spurs every game they tried it.

LeBron makes every, single player on his team better. The problem for him is that most players only drag him down.0
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

LeBron will likely never play in San Antonio, but I've never understood the argument that he isn't a fit on the Spurs.

Because there has never been a rational, intelligent argument that LeBron isn't a fit for the Spurs.

The Spurs play:
1. Unselfishly - team first
2. Great defense

LeBron plays:
1. Unselfishly
2. Great defense (or did)

LeBron + Pop would be a pretty ideal marriage.
jsc8116
AG
Seeing a couple mock drafts having Jordan Bell being picked by the Spurs. I like the pick, while slightly undersized at PF, would bring defense/rebounding/athleticism in the post with the possibility of Dedmon and/or Lee being gone. Spurs will overpay to keep Mills vs. overpaying for a combo of Dedmon/Lee with Parker being out for 3/4 of season.
BBQ4Me
AG
He'd be a good pick based on trends of the NBA offense. He killed Michigan in the tournament with his ability to block shots in the paint and disrupt 3 point shooters

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.