*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,219 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
West Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

And hopefully the Spurs can get SloMo to add a ton of size this summer so he can be a stretch 4.

Ive been saying this since we drafted him. Too slow to play on the perimeter, so hit the whataburger and be Boris Diaw 2.0.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

And hopefully the Spurs can get SloMo to add a ton of size this summer so he can be a stretch 4.

Ive been saying this since we drafted him. Too slow to play on the perimeter, so hit the whataburger and be Boris Diaw 2.0.
That is 100% where his abilities are. He's about 230-235 now. We need him to be 245-250. Become a 38-40% three point shooter that can average 10/5/4 in 20-25mpg and he will have a long career with the Spurs.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jaron-Blossomgame-58760/

2nd Round pick:
Olsen
AG
ToHntortoFsh
Guitarsoup said:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jaron-Blossomgame-58760/

2nd Round pick:

Good choice?? 50/100 seems about where he should've fallen.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Is everyone here convinced Aldridge will be shipped out before the season?
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Is everyone here convinced Aldridge will be shipped out before the season?
Yes
Enzo The Baker
AG
I hope it happens in the next week before free agency.

He's gonna be tough to move. Hopefully we can do it without giving up too much extra.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

Tom Orsborn: Buford when asked if Aldridge asked for trade: "We are happy with the group we have. If we can make it better, we will do it."

Welp. This doesn't give us much insight.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think he will be tough to move because if a team or a coach wants/needs a PF, the NBA is very, very short on them.

Draymond Green - who is really 6'6 SF that beefed up to play D on bigger guys might be the top PF in the game with his offensive creativity, shooting and his elite defense.
Blake Griffin - only he is made of glass. Missed 83 games over the past three years and his entire rookie season.
LMA- 4x All-NBA, 2x MVP Top 10.
Kevin Love - 19/11 last year. Just 28.
Porzingus - 18/7 with 35% from three. Not efficient.
Paul Millsap - 18/8. Never all-NBA. Good all-around player.
Ibaka - his career has really fallen off after what he showed 5 years ago in OKC.
ZBo - Old.
Morris Twins - 14/5 type players.
Ryan Anderson - great shooter, poor at just about everything else

There just aren't many great 6'11+ 265+ PFs out there. As disappointing as he is, he plays pretty solid D on both post positions and has a good to great mid-range shot. Love is a better offensive player and a better rebounder, but he is trash on defense. Griffin is much better offensively but can't stay healthy. There are pretty much only 5 PFs I would trade LMA for, and I think Millsap would be a downgrade.

He won't be hard to trade at all.
claym711
AG
Draymond is way overrated. He will go the way of Ibaka and Lance Stephenson once he isn't surrounded by elite talent.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think the thing that will make him hard to move is his short contract and his selfish attitude.
Guitarsoup
AG
claym711 said:

Draymond is way overrated. He will go the way of Ibaka and Lance Stephenson once he isn't surrounded by elite talent.
The point remains, there aren't many great PFs in the league right now and pretty much every single one has huge holes in their game. LMA sucks, but he is still top 5 at his position. And I would dump him for Green, Griffin or Porsingus in a heart beat. Millsap and Love would be more questionable to me (undersized for PM and no D for Love)
GatorAg03
AG
flashplayer said:

Saying "will probably get us to the playoffs" is a little Gator-esque battered Spurs syndrome when you haven't even seen who they bring in.

They could dump Aldridge and Green for nothing, not use any of their cap cushion, and probably still make the playoffs.

What are you talking about and why are you referencing me? I have said repeatedly Spurs will be a top 4 team regardless of the moves this off-season. Kawhi/Pop are that good. I have said LMA was a bust signing, because he was, but the Spurs future is still very bright.

If they sign a big FA or two they absolutely will be right back in the thick of a title run.

Don't be a fool and speak about things you have no knowledge of. I'm way down on Aggie football this year, think we win 7 games, so maybe you are incorrectly combining my views, but I'm highly bullish on the Spurs especially if we get rid of LMA and pick up a top FA.

I'm actually highly encouraged that they are looking to make moves and not just running back the same squad, which was solid, but had a low percentage chance of challenging GSW.
TyHolden
AG
GatorAg03 said:

flashplayer said:

Saying "will probably get us to the playoffs" is a little Gator-esque battered Spurs syndrome when you haven't even seen who they bring in.

They could dump Aldridge and Green for nothing, not use any of their cap cushion, and probably still make the playoffs.

What are you talking about and why are you referencing me? I have said repeatedly Spurs will be a top 4 team regardless of the moves this off-season. Kawhi/Pop are that good. I have said LMA was a bust signing, because he was, but the Spurs future is still very bright.

If they sign a big FA or two they absolutely will be right back in the thick of a title run.

I'm actually highly encouraged that they are looking to make moves and not just running back the same squad, which was solid, but had a low percentage chance of challenging GSW.
Ag Natural
AG
I think it's hilarious that anyone thinks they know anything. Steven A. SMITH doesn't have any clue what the Spurs will do or what they think of Aldridge. His logic doesn't even make sense. So hes so self possessed that he'd rather leave a 61 win team to go somewhere and suck?

Yall are going to be terribly disappointed when they keep everyone. I promise you the Spurs brass don't look at this team and think it needs major overhauls to win a ship. They are good enough now to challenge with some growth from the young guys. The PG position is the biggest mystery with Patty a FA and Parker hurt. But that could just mean Murray and White get all the minutes and they get to see what they have up to mid season.
Charger442
AG
Ag Natural said:

I think it's hilarious that anyone thinks they know anything. Steven A. SMITH doesn't have any clue what the Spurs will do or what they think of Aldridge. His logic doesn't even make sense. So hes so self possessed that he'd rather leave a 61 win team to go somewhere and suck?

Yall are going to be terribly disappointed when they keep everyone. I promise you the Spurs brass don't look at this team and think it needs major overhauls to win a ship. They are good enough now to challenge with some growth from the young guys. The PG position is the biggest mystery with Patty a FA and Parker hurt. But that could just mean Murray and White get all the minutes and they get to see what they have up to mid season.

why is it so hard to believe Aldridge is a selfish player? self absorbed into his own stat line? it shouldnt be a shock. The nba is full of guys like him. They all have to get theirs, not matter what. and that trumps winning too.

The Spurs do not want to keep everyone, Pop and Buford know there are two massive holes that need to be filled. Danny Green needs to take his ridiculous $10mil a year and GTFO, and we need to get something quality for Aldridge. He wants to be the guy, but he cant be the guy we want him to be. Because he is soft and has gotten incredibly predictable with his post moves, and unpredictable when it comes to nightly playoff performances.

as to point guard, the sooner someone talks Parker into hanging it up for good, the better off the Spurs will be. Patty has given us some good years, now he needs to go out there and get paid very well on the open market. He also had his chance to prove he could be an elite PG for the Spurs and he proved he is not our starting PG. We need to bring in someone with some experience now, develop Murray along the way.

Bottom line: Dump LaMarshia for someone servicable, trade Green for a Chick Fil A sandwich, get a veteran dribbler.
TyHolden
AG
easier said than done but i agree with all of it
BigBrother
AG
Ag Natural said:

There have been clues to this conclusion before.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2015/7/4/8894751/lamarcus-aldridge-damian-lillard-relationship-portland-trail-blazers
[url=https://www.blazersedge.com/2015/7/4/8894751/lamarcus-aldridge-damian-lillard-relationship-portland-trail-blazers][/url]
[url=https://www.blazersedge.com/2015/7/4/8894751/lamarcus-aldridge-damian-lillard-relationship-portland-trail-blazers][/url]
Quote:

For years, the rumblings that Aldridge wasn't happy with his place in the Portland spotlight were always there. First it was Brandon Roy stealing his thunder, then Greg Oden before his ill-fated fall, and then this young and dynamic talent named Damian Lillard whose star rose far too quickly for Aldridge's liking. All along the way, the complaints that would rarely, if ever, come directly from Aldridge himself were consistent: one way or another, intentional or not, he felt underappreciated - if not disrespected.
You could be right about them keeping everyone, but I don't think this is coming out of nowhere. Kawhi did the same thing that Lillard did- kept improving and getting all of the attention. The crowds cheer for him and Manu more than they ever do for LMA.
aggie_fan13
AG
Lamarcus clearly has an ego problem, i will be disappointed if we dont let him go. best of luck wherever he lands
Ag Natural
AG
Ok, so LMA is so selfish that he decided to sign with the Spurs? Really?

Also, despite all this "information" coming out after the fact. The Blazers did try like hell to keep him.

Honestly, I don't care what they do with him. But to say he's a net negative or that the Spurs definitely want him out is all pure speculation. I bet he doesn't like all the media and fan criticism he's getting. Who would? And if he told someone this and it got out that makes it some sort of plea? There is zero evidence that any of the criticism is coming from the Spurs organization. ZERO.

I tell you one thing for sure. Pop likes to have big guy who can score in the post. Show me who else is out there.
Deputy Travis Junior
Ag Natural said:

I tell you one thing for sure. Pop likes to have big guy who can score in the post. Show me who else is out there.

Do 15' turnaround fade aways count as post scoring?
GatorAg03
AG
Pop critiqued LMA publicly. It wasn't much but it was a level unheard of for Pop over a 20 year career. He was clearly fed up with LMA and his issues. The Spurs aren't dumb enough to give him away for nothing, but LMA is as good as gone if a decent offer is presented.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Blake Griffin is opting out, mean anything for CP3?
aggie_fan13
AG
Very interesting next week or so
Ag Natural
AG
GatorAg03 said:

Pop critiqued LMA publicly. It wasn't much but it was a level unheard of for Pop over a 20 year career. He was clearly fed up with LMA and his issues. The Spurs aren't dumb enough to give him away for nothing, but LMA is as good as gone if a decent offer is presented.
I don't doubt they see him as expendable. But they aren't going to ship him out unless there is a plan to add a nice front court player. As much as everyone likes to criticize his performance this season, he is still vastly superior to a great majority of the big men out there.
Guitarsoup
AG
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Blake Griffin is opting out, mean anything for CP3?

Clippers are blowing up.

West was brought in to rebuild the team.

Paul is gone, Blake is gone, they are trying to trade Jordan. Redick is a fa.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
So ESPN just tweeted that CP3 has officially informed the clippers he intends to become a FA. That doesn't really mean anything though right? He could just restructure for the new max with them right?
Obi Wan Ginobili
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

So ESPN just tweeted that CP3 has officially informed the clippers he intends to become a FA. That doesn't really mean anything though right? He could just restructure for the new max with them right?

He was opting out either way. This is just the first step to signing a supermax or signing elsewhere. Doesn't change a thing.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Okay that's what I thought, r/NBA was freaking out like it somehow meant something so I was confused for a minute.
Guitarsoup
AG
r/NBA is DumbAF

It is the same as Gasol saying he would opt out this week.
flashplayer
AG
I probably misinterpreted a couple previous posts then or may have gotten posters mixed up. My apologies.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

I agree with this. I think that we will end up bringing back the same team next season. I don't think we will be able to land Paul. We might move Green and get a second tier point guard (Hill/Rose), but we'll keep Aldridge. The draft pick last night all but ends Patty's tenure here IMO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.