*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,152 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Mike Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That poor guy, #2 and #1 plays.
Enzo The Baker
AG

Quote:

So far, these are among the teams who've made offers to the Cavaliers for Irving, league sources tell ESPN: The San Antonio Spurs, LA Clippers, Phoenix Suns, Minnesota Timberwolves, New York Knicks and Miami Heat. There were approximately 20 teams that inquired with Cleveland upon the news of Irving's trade request, league sources said, but far fewer have registered legitimate proposals. More loom in the shadows, and many simply don't have the assets to make a deal happen.
This is according to Woj. I'd be curious to know what Spurs offered. You'd think LMA would be part of it, but hard to imagine how that would work with the Cavs already having Love and Thompson. My guess would be something like LMA, Danny, DeJounte, and maybe a pick for Kyrie and Shumpert.
flashplayer
AG
They'd almost certainly need a 3rd team involved. Doubt the Spurs want to give that much up to have to also take on Shunpert/Thompson terrible contracts.
Guitarsoup
AG
Woj:

Rose tried hard to get top Western Conference teams to sign him -- the San Antonio Spurs, the LA Clippers -- but those teams passed. Milwaukee Bucks head coach Jason Kidd had interest, but the Los Angeles Lakers and Cavaliers eventually made offers.
Iowaggie
AG
Probably only of interest to a small, small sliver of Spurs fans, but the Sacramento Kings release their preseason schedule, and they play the Spurs on 10/2 and 10/6.

For the very bored: Sacramento Kings preseason schedule
saltydog13
AG

Just getting bored and watching this Spurs team never gets old
tbirdspur2010
AG
Never. Gets. Old.

I remember telling my brother when that vid came out "we're gonna win it this year." Something I NEVER say, even when I'm confident.

That was such a special group.
Deputy Travis Junior
https://fansided.com/2017/08/01/tim-duncan-kickboxer-video/

Video of Duncan doing kickboxing practice
saltydog13
AG
Seeing them in the playoffs that year made it almost a foregone conclusion they were winning it all. The level they played at was absolutely insane.
Ag Natural
AG
I really can't watch that without tearing up. Insanely satisfying basketball.

One of the greatest aspects of that team was no splashy moves to put it together. Prior to 2013 the Spurs were considered fringe contenders as usual (same as this year). Prior to 2013 Pop said they recommitted themselves to defense. They surprise everyone that year with the playoff run and really should have won the finals. Then they surprise everyone even more by coming back with the exact same team.

This is why its silly to criticize the Spurs this offseason. They have a philosophy. They value high character guys with skill. Guys like Pau fit what Pop wants in a player, period. Rudy Gay called the Spurs because he wants to be on a well coached team. He convinced Pop that he can be an asset. Dedmon and Simmons were both athletic but had critical flaws. Dedmon has no offensive skill other than dunking. And Simmons doesn't pass. He went long stretches with zero assists in his 2 years.

I'm not saying they will win the ship this year. But I am saying Pop doesn't build his teams like fantasy squads. He uses camp, preseason and the regular season to figure out how his team will play best and what role everyone needs to be in. And it starts with defense. They were #1 last year and will probably get even better this year. You can't rule these guys out.
Mike Elko
AG
Been a privilege to watch this team over the years. Proud and lucky to be a witness.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Ag Natural said:

They were #1 last year and will probably get even better this year. You can't rule these guys out.
Last season, Spurs actually finished #2 in defensive efficiency and #6 in offensive efficiency. Golden State finished #1 in the NBA both offensive and defensive efficiency categories.

Cleveland as another comparison finished #2 in offensive efficiency (behind only Golden State) but was #22 in defensive efficiency. Which explained why the NBA Finals was such an explosive high scoring affair but why Cleveland also lost in five.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/offensive-efficiency

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/defensive-efficiency

In fact, I think San Antonio was the only other team in the 2017 NBA playoffs besides Golden State who was ranked top-10 in efficiency at both ends of the courts.

2016-2017 Final Efficiency Ratings of the 'Contender' NBA Teams

Golden State (#1 offense, #1 defense)
Cleveland (#2 offense, #22 defense)
San Antonio (#6 offense, #2 defense) - only other team besides GSW in top-10 in both
Houston (#3 offense, #15 defense)
Boston (#9 offense, #18 defense)
Washington (#8 offense, #20 defense)

If Spurs can continue to play at that high (and balanced) level this season, definitely can't rule the Spurs out.
saltydog13
AG
I just want to see the Spurs/Warriors matchup with no injuries
flashplayer
AG
saltydog09 said:

I want to see this but with Zaza out for his career with double torn groin.
tbirdspur2010
AG
flashplayer said:

saltydog09 said:

I want to see this but with Zaza out for his career with double torn groin.

F*** zaza.
Cappo
AG
saltydog09 said:

Just getting bored and watching this Spurs team never gets old
Need a time machine. I want to rewatch this run they had together
West Texan
AG
The GOAT calls Kawhi the best two way player in the game.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/8/3/16091768/michael-jordan-calls-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-best-two-way-player-game
TyHolden
AG
West Texan said:

The GOAT calls Kawhi the best two way player in the game.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/8/3/16091768/michael-jordan-calls-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-best-two-way-player-game
nodout
TyHolden
AG
We still getting kyrie?
Obi Wan Ginobili
DSAg44 said:

We still getting kyrie?

I hope not
West Texan
AG
Happy 51st birthday to The Admiral! Enjoy some highlights.

flashplayer
AG
DSAg44 said:

We still getting kyrie?

My bet is he stays in Cleveland under the promise that they'll rebuild around him this next summer when Lebron walks.
Obi Wan Ginobili
flashplayer said:

DSAg44 said:

We still getting kyrie?

My bet is he stays in Cleveland under the promise that they'll rebuild around him this next summer when Lebron walks.
IF they keep him around (and that's a big if), he will be out the door the second his contract is up, taking a max deal somewhere not named Cleveland. You think he likes freezing his ass off in that **** hole city?

He will be 26/27 when his contract is up. I doubt there are many 26/27 year old millionaires willingly living there. LeBron got them their championship. I would bet Manu's other nut that he finishes his career in Los Angeles.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think Kyrie tries to go east. Knicks, Nets or Boston.
flashplayer
AG
FWIW, the Cavs former GM (Griffin) said on ESPN today that he thinks Kyrie will be traded before the season.
Enzo The Baker
AG

PLUM LOCO
AG
Much cleaner style.

I never was all that crazy about the "SP RS" being outlined like the past jerseys.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I hated the alternate logo when I first saw it a couple of months back. But I actually think it looks pretty good on the shorts.

I wonder if they will be sponsored this year or not.
2008and1
AG
I'm not a fan of Nike putting their logo on the jersey. I feel like last years was less cluttered.

Also do we know what sponsor patch will be on the other side?

2008and1
AG
I also feel like there is too much space between the letters. Looks more like SP and RS are separate words now.

Malcolm52
AG
Glad they could find the poor man's Kawhi and Kyle Anderson to model the new unis!
flashplayer
AG
I just hope they do away with the hideous camo fatigues uniforms. Have either a fiesta themed or red/white/blue lonestar themed alternate uniform.
2008and1
AG
I really want the throwbacks to be based on Gervin's "San Antonio" jersey.

aggie_fan13
AG
i just hope we dont get any fiesta colored jerseys, keep it silver, black and white
2008and1
AG
azulAg said:

i just hope we dont get any fiesta colored jerseys, keep it silver, black and white

I do find it interesting how many people say they want us to "bring back" Fiesta colors on the jersey. I'm pretty positive Fiesta colors were never on the actual jerseys.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.