*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,214 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Isaih Smollett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Still hoping for George Hill. CP3 is not a winner.
Guitarsoup
AG

GatorAg03
AG
I know it's a pipe dream but any chance the Clips would want LMA?

If we could somehow trade him straight up for Deandre and then get Chris Paul to come via free agency it would be the greatest fleecing in NBA history.

I could see the Clips having interest in LMA for Jordan in an attempt to entice CP3 to re-sign. Salaries are about the same. Clips might have interest epecially if Redick leaves as rumored and they need another scoring threat. Even if CP3 leaves LMA keeps them as a mid-level playoff team and not too much less than they are now and his contract is short for a rebuild.

It would be awesome to trade LMA for Jordan straight up and then have Paul walk out the door too.

Guitarsoup
AG
Zero point Zero chance they trade Deandre for LMAo.
GatorAg03
AG
Don't kill my dream!
ToHntortoFsh
Soup, is stein just stating the obvious (who would t be concerned about losing CP3) or would there be meat to the concern?

What is the most likely outcome? I'd hate to lose Mills, Green, and Simmons. LMA and Gasol...not so much.
Guitarsoup
AG
ToHntortoFsh said:

Soup, is stein just stating the obvious (who would t be concerned about losing CP3) or would there be meat to the concern?

What is the most likely outcome? I'd hate to lose Mills, Green, and Simmons. LMA and Gasol...not so much.
Zach Lowe said there is mutual interest between the Spurs and CP3 this week. I think there is legitimate smoke there. Lowe is very plugged in.

Unless you were forced to trade him in a S&T, you could keep Simmons in just about every scenario that gets us Chris Paul because his cap hold is just 1.6mm.

I wouldn't really worry about losing Green or Simmons, but wouldn't want to lose both. I think Green is more polished and a better shooter (which we need).

If we get Paul, I DGAF about Mills. He fits nicely with our chemistry, but he isn't really special. Just another in a long line of players Pop has found to man the second team. George Hill, Gary Neal, Roger Mason, Jacque Vaughn, Brent Barry, Beno Udrich, Nick Van Exel, Speedy Claxton, Terry Porter, Steve Kerr, Antonio Daniels, etc. I'm not really worried about Pop finding a guy to take those minutes. CP3 would probably play 30-32mpg, Murray 20mpg and Parker whatever he could - with some of those minutes spilling over into SG minutes. That would be more than enough.

For Paul to be feasible, someone has to take Gasol and/or LMA and the Spurs would also then need to replace their bigs. Dedmon may opt out and leave and Lee tore his patellar tendon, so no clue if he will make it back. Tony Parker retiring before Aug 31st would help tremendously (open 10mm in cap space.)
West Texan
AG
machine20 said:

Still hoping for George Hill. CP3 is not a winner.

Lol
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

For Paul to be feasible, someone has to take Gasol and/or LMA and the Spurs would also then need to replace their bigs. Dedmon may opt out and leave and Lee tore his patellar tendon, so no clue if he will make it back. Tony Parker retiring before Aug 31st would help tremendously (open 10mm in cap space.)

Wouldn't the Spurs need someone over 6'7" who can, I don't know, score a basket every once in a while?
GatorAg03
AG
LawHall88 said:

Quote:

Wouldn't the Spurs need someone over 6'7" who can, I don't know, score a basket every once in a while?

That sure would have been nice during these playoffs!
LawHall88
AG
GatorAg03 said:

LawHall88 said:

Quote:

That sure would have been nice during these playoffs!
Granted, but Gasol and LMA averaged about 30/pt per game between them during the season. That may not be easy to replace if we tie up a ton of money in CP3.
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

Quote:

Which is why I mentioned needing to replace the bigs
GatorAg03
AG
The great thing is if you have CP3 then an athletic big with not much touch or outside scoring ability will thrive.

Dedmon would score alot more, similar to DeAndre, Chandler, etc and might be worth a bit more if Paul was coming. Paul makes athletic bigs look great. I think the Spurs could find a young big in the draft that can fill this roll of defensive anchor and lob dunker.

Plus Kawhi could play the 4 alot more as the Spurs would be dynamic and could run as a highly athletic small ball lineup. You wouldn't need or even want the big plodding unathletic posts like LMA and Gasol.

LMA was highly inefficient on his mid range shots (supposedly his strength) and his back to the basket game was almost non existent. He won't be hard to replace offensively. And a Gasol type player is the worst kind to play with Paul.

Bertrans could give some good minutes at the 4 as well and while not athletic Anderson's can play pick and pop offense decently and is a crafty rebounder. He just needs some diet plans from Diaw.

Spurs would be fine down low with just a bunch of scrubs as it just isn't a strength of the NBA any longer. Especially with CP3 setting them up in prime spots.
LawHall88
AG
GatorAg03 said:

The great thing is if you have CP3 then an athletic big with not much touch or outside scoring ability will thrive.

Dedmon would score alot more, similar to DeAndre, Chandler, etc and might be worth a bit more if Paul was coming. Paul makes athletic bigs look great. I think the Spurs could find a young big in the draft that can fill this roll of defensive anchor and lob dunker.

Plus Kawhi could play the 4 alot more as the Spurs would be dynamic and could run as a highly athletic small ball lineup. You wouldn't need or even want the big plodding unathletic posts like LMA and Gasol.

LMA was highly inefficient on his mid range shots (supposedly his strength) and his back to the basket game was almost non existent. He won't be hard to replace offensively. And a Gasol type player is the worst kind to play with Paul.

Bertrans could give some good minutes at the 4 as well and while not athletic Anderson's can play pick and pop offense decently and is a crafty rebounder. He just needs some diet plans from Diaw.

Spurs would be fine down low with just a bunch of scrubs as it just isn't a strength of the NBA any longer. Especially with CP3 setting them up in prime spots.
I think some of this is an overreaction to the playoffs, and the Warriors series in particular. LMA had a rough time, but I don't think he can be "easily" replaced. If you think they can get a NBA-ready big drafting 28th, you are likely to be disappointed.

Dedmon is an energy player who can block some shots and rebound. He will never be an effective scorer, regardless of who is playing PG. Bertans is a classic Euro stretch 4, but Pop was reluctant to give him many minutes. Must be a reason, I assume related to his limited defensive skills.

I think Pop likes to utilize Kawhi as a perimeter defender, where he can generate steals and turnovers and double the post when needed. You make him play the 4, he probably plays down low more, which isn't the best use of his skill set.
Obi Wan Ginobili
brotheraggie said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

brotheraggie said:

Chris Paul would be a great addition to the Spurs

As unlikely as it is, I'm sure the team can sleep well knowing they don't need him (or Kawhi or Tony for that matter) to take down your gay ass Rockets squad.
After being banned for three days for previous comments I am making to take the high road. I regret that this person made a negative remark about the Rockets.

Oh well, I will move on to associate with positive people.
It's a Spurs thread, dummy. I can say whatever I want about the Rockets, like how Har_en gargles Kawhi's tater tots and your pizza delivery boy coach is Popovich's man servant.
Obi Wan Ginobili
In fact, if you ever catch me on a Rockets thread spewing some weak sauce like you bring to the table, do me a favor and shoot me in the junk repeatedly until I'm dead.

I can't imagine my team being so terrible that I need to troll my "rivals" threads. And I use "rivals" as loosely as possible, because Houston hasn't been relevant in over 20 years.
Isaih Smollett
CP3 is too old
West Texan
AG
machine20 said:

CP3 is too old

And George Hill is only one year younger...
Enzo The Baker
AG
Lee's agent says that it's only a sprained patellar tendon and that he'll be out six weeks.
Isaih Smollett
12000 less minutes
Ulrich
LawHall88 said:

GatorAg03 said:

I think some of this is an overreaction to the playoffs, and the Warriors series in particular. LMA had a rough time, but I don't think he can be "easily" replaced. If you think they can get a NBA-ready big drafting 28th, you are likely to be disappointed.

Dedmon is an energy player who can block some shots and rebound. He will never be an effective scorer, regardless of who is playing PG. Bertans is a classic Euro stretch 4, but Pop was reluctant to give him many minutes. Must be a reason, I assume related to his limited defensive skills.

I think Pop likes to utilize Kawhi as a perimeter defender, where he can generate steals and turnovers and double the post when needed. You make him play the 4, he probably plays down low more, which isn't the best use of his skill set.

I agree with you on the first point. Barring something highly unusual, that 28th pick will not be a year one contributor as a big man.

However, Dedmon has much better hands and touch around the rim than people thought coming in, so Chris Paul would have him scoring an efficient 10-12 a game on lobs and put backs. Definitely not someone who will get many post up opportunities, but Paul doubles his offensive value.

Bertans' lack of playing time and mediocre defense are both related to a third factor, which is that he is a rookie. His role will expand if he can stay healthy. I can't think of any 6'10 players with his speed, quick leap, ability to pass off the dribble, and beautiful shot from behind the arc. He would have played 20 mpg for most teams even with the lack of strength and defensive acumen.

I doubt Pop will ever play Kawhi against a decent traditional four. However, against a small ball lineup he can play the four and stay on the perimeter defensively. He's extremely strong and can bully a lot of stretch fours on both ends.
claym711
AG
Gasols contract is ridiculous. The younger Gasol would be a fantastic fit.

You can't go out and replace LA, but he is a guy that needs a lot of touches. His game doesn't fit.
aggie_fan13
AG
Whats yall's opinion on CP3 possibly signing ?
Chipotlemonger
AG
azulAg said:

Whats yall's opinion on CP3 possibly signing ?

We'd have a better shot with him.

It would help. Certainly won't hurt.
aggie_fan13
AG
Call me stupid, but i have a very doubtful feeling on this working out for us positively
aggie_fan13
AG
i also think CP3 is using us as a bargaining chip
Enzo The Baker
AG
I agree. That Gasol signing was incredibly shortsighted. He's a good veteran piece but was not someone we needed, especially for that price.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Bargaining chip for what? He's going to get the max offer from LAC no matter what.
aggie_fan13
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Bargaining chip for what? He's going to get the max offer from LAC no matter what.
Clippers, i doubt they're gonna give him max. Talks of them trading away blake and cp3 to focus building a team around Deandre have been reported
Enzo The Baker
AG
Does anyone know the opt-in deadline for players with options?
gibbs2016
If you have CP3, Kawhi and a good big man (whoever that may be) then filling out the roster with solid vets wouldn't be an issue. Just get CP3 here and everything would fall in to place. Fill the roster with good shooters and defenders

Murray I see him improving quite a bit next year, so I'm looking forward to that, He'll be ready to step in once CP3 retires lol
Guitarsoup
AG
azulAg said:

i also think CP3 is using us as a bargaining chip
What bargaining chip? Ballmer was apparently already ready to give him the max.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think the only way Paul stays with a team that's never made the conference finals is if he is offered the max. And building a team around Deandre, who wouldn't be an All NBA player without Paul, doesn't sound all that promising.

Also, LAC will likely lose Reddick and Mo Speights already opted out.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I agree. That Gasol signing was incredibly shortsighted. He's a good veteran piece but was not someone we needed, especially for that price.
Gasol put up 17/11/4 the year before we signed him. He has Championship experience and is a big man that is smart and is a great passer.

A 2y30mm contract for that is not short sighted.
Enzo The Baker
AG
For his age and mobility I still think it is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.