*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,079 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
flashplayer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought his contract was only partial guaranteed
Enzo The Baker
AG
It was partially guaranteed up until a point last season but the Spurs decided to keep him. I'm pretty sure it's guaranteed unless you can do multi-year contracts with partial guarantees each year. I'm not aware of that though.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Quote:

I think Forbes won't make the team this year.

The Spurs would have to buy-out his contract. He's due $1.3 million next season.

I wouldn't take much away from the first game since any of these guys have played since vacation. Let's wait and see how the rest of the tournament goes.

His contract is unguaranteed until Aug 1, then becomes 100k guaranteed.
FTAG 2000
AG
Giving Forbes that deal was idiotic. He's small and can't shoot off the dribble. Not sure what they were thinking. I get he had a great summer league last year but they had Austin and plenty of opportunities during Spurs regular season to see him in action. He's not an NBA player.
Guitarsoup
AG
Cool, well they can cut him and it costs them $0.00.
flashplayer
AG
Wow, that's good news for the Spurs because Forbes is a scrub.
superunknown
AG
Georgie to the Kings. 3/57.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

tbirdspur2010
AG
Good luck, IUPUI.
Ag Natural
AG
Interesting move considering they just drafted Fox and Mason.
Obi Wan Ginobili
George Hill would have been worth $19 mil. That sucks the Spurs missed out.
Deputy Travis Junior
Thanks for the report, even though it's disappointing. Here's hoping that Murray just had a bad night.
Ulrich
Ag Natural said:

Interesting move considering they just drafted Fox and Mason.

I actually really like the idea of bringing in a steady veteran point guard to take the pressure off of these guys and teach them defense and NBA work habits. Plus, his contract ends when they will need to have cap space coming off those rookie deals.

Hill is ideal because he's young and skilled enough that he's a legit starting point guard, but at the same time has plenty of experience as a second or third playmaker. Last, he's a good defender. A lot of teams try to bring in old guys who don't actually play very much for this purpose, and I think it can be a little tough for them to lead from the bench.
GatorAg03
AG
So that would be around a $15 per year in Texas. Not much more than Patty's $12. Either Spurs or Hill weren't interested or some party acted on bad info concerning his value. Interesting

Ag Natural
AG
I wonder if Parkers situation is causing a problem. A guy like Hill probably wanted to know what the Spurs intend to do with Tony. Knowing the Spurs, they want to wait and see.
Guitarsoup
AG
GatorAg03 said:

So that would be around a $15 per year in Texas. Not much more than Patty's $12. Either Spurs or Hill weren't interested or some party acted on bad info concerning his value. Interesting

He isn't paying 4mm in income tax to California on 19mm.
West Texan
AG
GatorAg03 said:

I'm pretty disappointed we didn't land Hill if that's all he signed for.

Edit: I just reread your post and maybe he wasn't willing to come down far enough to meet what the Spurs wanted.
GatorAg03
AG
It's probably closer to $2 million in Taxes but $4 million was what a cost of living calculator shows (although I know it's not the same as normal salary). Plus Patty got 12.5 million and an extra year all guaranteed. The Hill salary was certainly in striking distance for the Spurs.

http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/san-antonio-tx/sacramento-ca/15000000
A salary of $15,000,000 in San Antonio, Texas should increase to $19,474,249 in Sacramento, California
ATM9000
AG
GatorAg03 said:

It's probably closer to $2 million in Taxes but $4 million was what a cost of living calculator shows (although I know it's not the same as normal salary). Plus Patty got 12.5 million and an extra year all guaranteed. The Hill salary was certainly in striking distance for the Spurs.

http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/san-antonio-tx/sacramento-ca/15000000
A salary of $15,000,000 in San Antonio, Texas should increase to $19,474,249 in Sacramento, California

I always like when people look at the athlete salaries on a COLA calculator like they are just living like average Joes, putting their 10% into retirement, finding a house that's mortgage doesn't exceed 30% of their AGI and other than that just trying to churn it out week by week and pay the bills.

COLA calculators aren't appropriate for the money these guys make.
Mike Elko
AG
So, just to recap: Spurs have literally made zero moves outside the organization this offseason. Got it.
aggie_fan13
AG
i dont see us making any, and thats not necessarily a bad thing. We got pretty far last season, had it not been for kawhi injury we could have taken the GSW series in 7 maybe 6 games.
Mike Elko
AG
Meh. Most teams in the West improved while we're staying pat... Nothing wrong with beleiving in your squad, but we'll be looking up at GS 'til we improve, too.

And we wouldn't have beat GS in the WCF, regardless of the injury.
GatorAg03
AG
I said as much in my post that it's not the same as a normal salary and posted it for a rough comparison. State income taxes are very real though as is a comparable house cost difference, etc, so money doesn't go as far in Cali. So say 16-17 million for Hill in Texas is comparable to 19 in Cali, that means in theory we could have had him over Mills for 3.5-4.5 million more for less years guaranteed.

Maybe Hill just really likes California or maybe San Antonio thinks Mills is better or comparable, because the salaries are fairly comparable when put in TX dollars.

My guess is it was a combo of Mills agent doing a good job of leveraging the Spurs and Hill's doing a poor job of estimating the market for Hill. Spurs struck too quick with Mills and Hill waited too long.

It happens in free agency but seems odd for a former Spurs player who Pop supposedly really loved and who seems to like Texas and the Spurs and who could benefit from the Spurs managing minutes with his injuries. Seems like a deal could have been done to really help bridge the PG position with the Parker, Murray uncertainty.

Hell, I would be all for the Spurs offering the Kings Patty and Green straight up for Hill right now and then signing Simmons. I think that size, athleticism and ability to drive the basketball are critical skills that the Spurs need to play the perfect game and beat GS and Mills and Green don't have enough of that. Someone other than Kawhi has to create or shooters like Patty and Green aren't worth much, as we saw in the WCF.

Hopefully Parker and Murray have great off-seasons.
Ag Natural
AG
This is the time of year where the Spurs discipline and closed ranks makes it tough on fans. We don't now what they are trying to do. All we see are other teams making moves and several holes on the roster. I'm sure they have a plan but dang it's making me nervous.
West Texan
AG
Hill isn't worth Patty and Green by any stretch.
aggie_fan13
AG
I trust pop and RC enough to know that they are doing everything with their utmost ability to make sure we have a fighting chance at winning it all next year
GatorAg03
AG
I would agree if we had a true PG to utilize their shooting abilities.

I think Greens last two year struggles (and Mills inconsistency) have a lot to do with deteriorating PG play by Parker (in addition to pivoting towards iso ball).

Mills is undersized and Green is the definition of a feet set spot up shooter. You have to have someone to create for them. Duncan/Diaw and parker were magnificent at it during the beautiful game run.

It does no good to have guys like that of you can't get them quality looks.
superunknown
AG
Omri Casspi to Golden State. Always thought he could be a good Spur.

Oh and Hayward to Boston. 4/128 with the last year a player option.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Cool, well they can cut him and it costs them $0.00.

You sure? Numbers I saw is he has 1.05 million guaranteed.
Ag Natural
AG
Sounds like Rudy Gay still wants high end starter money. That probably rules out the Spurs unless Simmons signs elsewhere and they don't match.

Also, with Hayward going to Boston they'll be renouncing several guys. Kelly OlynyK is one I would take a hard look at. I like that guys skillset and toughness.
gibbs2016
Ag Natural said:

Sounds like Rudy Gay still wants high end starter money. That probably rules out the Spurs unless Simmons signs elsewhere and they don't match.

Also, with Hayward going to Boston they'll be renouncing several guys. Kelly OlynyK is one I would take a hard look at. I like that guys skillset and toughness.
Kelly Olynyk would fit in really good as a Spur. Would we have to give up LMA? And is that something you guys would like to see?
superunknown
AG
Olynyk is now a UFA. Spurs can sign him to whatever he agrees to under the cap, generally.
West Texan
AG
Olynyk would be a great fit imo. Crafty in the low post, 3 point range (36% for his career), decent rebounder, plays hard, has some toughness for as goofy as he looks, I didn't watch a whole lot but seems like an above average passer from what I've seen. Not a very good run protector, but has some quickness to switch or hedge on ball screens. No clue what his market value will be, but I'd love to have him, especially since it looks like we're losing David Lee.
Ulrich
Definitely like the idea of snagging Olynyk.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Ulrich said:

Definitely like the idea of snagging Olynyk.

Oh that'd be a great fit.
West Texan
AG
Plus, I love the idea of having another 7 footer in the rotation that can play either post spot on offense. He could play along side LMA or Gasol (against the right match up, obviously).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.