*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,038 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

He is a very good shooter but might not be quick or tall enough to get his own shot and doesn't have the ball skills or creativity of a true point.
I actually see the opposite. I agree that he's not very quick and his ball handling does need to improve, but I think he can score in more of a variety of ways than Patty. He's really crafty offensively and has even shown he can finish with contact in the lane, which is huge for his size. He's really surprised me with a lot of his passing, too, during the summer league. But he's still not there defensively.

After the way he has been playing, I don't think there is anyway the Spurs would let him walk. He would be picked up in a second by another team, probably on a fully guaranteed contract.
GatorAg03
AG
Do you see him playing more of a PG or SG role? If Kawhi or someone other than old Manu can create a bit more he becomes much more playable (very similar to Mills). If you are asking him to bring the ball up and set the offense then that is a big ask at this stage. Would love to see his handles and creativity grow though.
Enzo The Baker
AG
That's a really good question. I know that he put on 5 pounds already because the Spurs wanted him to get bigger to move through screens off of the ball. But they also told him not to shoot a ball at all before the Summer League to just work on his handles. So I'm not sure the Spurs even know. In the games in the Summer league he has been doing both. He can't break down the defense with a dribble like Murray can, but he is definitely outperforming him. Like you said, it'll be interesting to see how the Spurs use him.
Ag Natural
AG
GatorAg03 said:

Murray, Mills, Parker
Green, Simmons, Manu, Forbes or White
Leonard, Gay, Bertrans
LMA, Anderson, (Lee or FA)
Gasol, Lauvergne

I think you have to add one more big so I don't see how both White and Forbes make the squad unless Spurs will be playing much more small ball, which may very well be the plan.

Bertans is getting misspelled constantly on here. I'm starting to wonder if its on purpose.

Does anyone know if the NBA has a disabled list? With Tony out for a while there may be a way to open up his spot at the beginning of the season.
Guitarsoup
AG
Dedmon to Hawks
aggie_fan13
AG
We lost dedmon
tbirdspur2010
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Dedmon to Hawks

How'd he land himself in Pop's doghouse again? Seemed he was on the rise quick midseason and fell off a cliff after he got a couple starts.
Guitarsoup
AG
There were some off-court issues, issues with his effort at practice and temper. We saw some of that in the thing with Nene.
tbirdspur2010
AG
His loss. Crying shame.
flashplayer
AG
I didn't follow that closely this year but Dedmon really had effort issues? That's the first I had heard that.

Also, we knew he wasn't coming back anyway. The thing I'm wondering is if they're really saving the last roster spot for Forbes if Manu returns. I couldn't see it working out that way. We need another big.
Guitarsoup
AG
That's the rumor I heard. Don't know if it is true. He seemed to play balls out in games.
Ag Natural
AG
I definitely thought he was in the doghouse. Call it a gut feeling from watching the Pop-led Spurs for 20 years. The key indicator was his playing time dropped to zero in the playoffs. And then he finally got in during the game 1 blowout against the Rox. He balled his butt off but got himself ejected and didn't play hardly after that. I have no idea what put him there.
Guitarsoup
AG
It wasn't anything too bad if ATL have him 2y/14mm. Coach Bud is from the Pop tree. I'm sure he got a full report
Ag Natural
AG
Btw, the list of noname big guys who come to the Spurs and get paid after being developed a bit grows.

Nazr Mohamed
Ian Mahimi
Sean Marks
Tiago Splitter
Aron Baynes
Boban Marjonovic
Dewayne Dedmon

And I'm not even including guys like Oberto and The Red Rocket who were journeyman caliber players who contributed to championships.

Yeah, if I were a big guy I'd be begging to come to SA.
GatorAg03
AG
The writing was on the wall on this one for a good while it seems. I liked Dedmon's athleticism but without a CP3 type PG to catch lobs his value is much less, especially in the playoffs vs teams like Rockets, OKC and GSW, where you really need a scoring threat at almost every position. I would have been curious to see if he could have developed a decent offensive game with the Spurs over the next couple years, as he was still young, but I guess Pop saw it differently. Spurs could have made room for a similaroffer if motivated to do so, so maybe he did end up in the dog house for something.

l still think we need one more cheap big to eat up his regular season minutes. He definitely was our most athletic rim protector so not sure you can fully replace that for the minimum. Most of our post defense will likely come down to LMA and his motivation level. Luckily it's a contract year for him.
Ag Natural
AG
Maybe Timmy is rested and ready to play another year.
West Texan
AG
Ag Natural said:

Maybe Timmy is rested and ready to play another year.

Honestly, if we're looking for one extra big to be the last man off the bench for super cheap, we should get Bonner out of the booth and pay him in deli meat.
Guitarsoup
AG
tbirdspur2010
AG
Bonner continues to be awesome.
Guitarsoup
AG
Good news for the perpetually deep Spurs

Guitarsoup
AG
https://sports.yahoo.com/summer-league-star-bryn-forbes-may-spurs-latest-hidden-gem-222822928.html

Bryn Forbes is the Spurs latest hidden gem.

Of course, who would have thought that the guy that shot 48% from three on Izzo's 30 win MichState team would be a great shooter.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Putting here so I can listen later:

Listened. Nothing too special.

Derek Anderson has been successful post NBA and owns a hotel and a time share building.

He turned down big offers from other teams to take the 2.2mm 1y contract with the understanding that he would get paid the next year.

He was frustrated that the Spurs still wouldn't pay him after he turned down bigger contracts, which is why he went public with feeling disrespected.

He regrets going public with it.

Does a lot off the court to help the underprivileged because he grew up without nothing. Wants to leave behind more than a name.

Spurs dodged a bullet. He was reasonably healthy the next two years, then never could stay on the court again.
West Texan
AG
Here's an explanation of the new timeout rules.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/7/12/15960412/nba-moves-trade-deadline-limits-timeouts-during-games
flashplayer
AG
Damn, I knew the "20 second" label was bogus, but never realized those were going for a full minute
tbirdspur2010
AG
flashplayer said:

Damn, I knew the "20 second" label was bogus, but never realized those were going for a full minute

Yeah pretty wild lol.

I will miss the hand signal for 20 second timeouts, though. Idk why exactly, but i will.
dave99ag
AG
What are the odds that Pop calls for a 20 just to eff with the refs?
Guitarsoup
AG

Tony for Melo just to eff with Houston.
flashplayer
AG
Sounds like Utah is looking to trade Bobo or cut him before his contract becomes guaranteed on Saturday. If they cut him, do the Spurs sign him for a year on the cheap?
tbirdspur2010
AG
flashplayer said:

Sounds like Utah is looking to trade Bobo or cut him before his contract becomes guaranteed on Saturday. If they cut him, do the Spurs sign him for a year on the cheap?

Bring The LandWalrus home.
GatorAg03
AG
Boris is 35, well past his prime and likely to be out of the league in a year or two......sounds like a typical Spur. I say sign him.
Guitarsoup
AG
tbirdspur2010
AG
Gig Em alex!!!!
West Texan
AG
flashplayer said:

The thought of Bobo in a Spurs uniform again makes me unreasonably excited.
Guitarsoup
AG

Dejounte Murray chilling with LeBron in Vegas.

LeBron to the Spurs in 2018 confirmed.
Ulrich
I'm really enjoying the fact that even if Caruso never plays in the NBA he'll have a cult following (outside of A&M) who roots for him because he showed up Lonzo Ball and his dad.

Also I would take Caruso over at least two of the spurs current backup guards.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.