*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,093 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
NickNaylor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This board is one of the least moderated boards. I don't think a post has been edited or deleted in months and even then it was probably only on the Rockets thread.
Obi Wan Ginobili
GatorAg03 said:

That's fine. I'll gladly move along if not wanted here. This certainty isn't the first or last time long time posters like me that have never had any issues on any other boards meet up with the same old group of posters here. There is a reason it's moderated so heavily.
Probably because whiny posters like you can't handle meanie cats on the internet.

If I threatened to find you and confront you, OK, that would be a good reason to raise a red flag, but that isn't what is happening here.
Ag Natural
AG
GatorAg03 said:

That's fine. I'll gladly move along if not wanted here. This certainty isn't the first or last time long time posters like me that have never had any issues on any other boards meet up with the same old group of posters here. There is a reason it's moderated so heavily
There's only so many times you can claim all potential risks will be realized and the team will suck. After a while, you come across as just a negative presence and nobody likes that. You aren't alone in being unimpressed with a coach and general manager who has successfully made the playoffs 20 straight times. Plenty think it was a dud offseason. But real Spurs fans will remain optimistic and are actually excited to see how some of these subtle moves turn out. You think optimism is foolish and crap all over it. That's why you're getting shouted down.
Obi Wan Ginobili
NickNaylor said:

This board is one of the least moderated boards. I don't think a post has been edited or deleted in months and even then it was probably only on the Rockets thread.
I got banned because I was mean to GatorAg.
West Texan
AG
I love when one poster starts getting called out by multiple people for saying stupid ****, then blames it on some kind of "group think" or some weird bully gang on the interwebs. Because everyone else is the problem here, clearly...
Pumpkinhead
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Some people on this thread are pissed we didn't blow it up and rebuild in a single offseason. Others think bringing back a 61 win team is probably a good move.
This writer describes the Spurs PG situation as 'in flux' and Aldridge has gone from 'part of team future' to potential trade bait, then talks about how the Spurs will be in a much better position cap-wise in summer of 2018 to do a major rebuild and perhaps lure another big star.

Perhaps this offseason wasn't necessarily indication that the Spurs think everything is great with the roster right now, but the timing for them to make moves in 2018 is much better.

https://airalamo.com/2017/07/14/san-antonio-spurs-offseason-2018-early-storylines/

Quote:

The San Antonio Spurs didn't walk into this offseason with much cap space. With what they had, it got used on Patty Mills, the Mid-Level Exception on Rudy Gay, the minimum on Joffrey Lauvergen, and a yet-to-be-determined contract for Pau Gasol.

For 2018, that will be different. If anything, the polar opposite of what was seen this summer.
If the player options are factored in, these are the players, and their salaries, that will be off the table for next season:

• LaMarcus Aldridge ($21 million)
  • Tony Parker ($15.5 million)
  • Danny Green ($10 million)
  • Rudy Gay ($8.4 million)
  • Kyle Anderson ($2.1 million)
  • Bryn Forbes ($1.3 million)
  • David Bertans ($1.3 million)
Anderson and Bertans will reach restricted free agent status next offseason, which will risk the Spurs losing both players. They can match any offer received, and will have more than enough money to do so.
The main story is the potential money off the books, with Aldridge, Parker, and Green gone. Along with Aldridge, Green has a player option, so it's possible this $30-plus million won't even be there for the Spurs.
If it is, there are multiple big names the Spurs can pursue. From DeMarcus Cousins to Chris Paul (if he doesn't sign an extension in Houston), Isaiah Thomas, DeAndre Jordan and Joel Embiid a potential underrated target since despite him missing two seasons, signed a four-year contract in 2014. It expires after next season.

Obi Wan Ginobili
GatorAg03 said:

Specifically name me a few things I said that were just so off base?

Oh baby, just sit back and watch me work....

Edited. Had to hit him with Kanye before I wreck this thread.
GatorAg03
AG
Ag Natural said:

GatorAg03 said:

That's fine. I'll gladly move along if not wanted here. This certainty isn't the first or last time long time posters like me that have never had any issues on any other boards meet up with the same old group of posters here. There is a reason it's moderated so heavily
There's only so many times you can claim all potential risks will be realized and the team will suck. After a while, you come across as just a negative presence and nobody likes that. You aren't alone in being unimpressed with a coach and general manager who has successfully made the playoffs 20 straight times. Plenty think it was a dud offseason. But real Spurs fans will remain optimistic and are actually excited to see how some of these subtle moves turn out. You think optimism is foolish and crap all over it. That's why you're getting shouted down.

And this is closer to the truth of matter. Thanks for being honest at least. There is optimism bordering on censorship amongst a few posters. If you don't agree then just "shut up" mentality.
flashplayer
AG
I guess what concerns me most is that unless some of these young guys make huge strides, the Spurs will be left trying to retain a bunch of average pieces on bird rights and having just enough money to get a couple good free agent signings to replace Aldridge.

Next years class isn't that great (it could be depending on who opts out) though it's not as bad as some make it either.

Next summer really does look like a huge fork in the road. Cant remember the last time it was like that. Maybe Tims first FA, but that was a different type of deal. I'm just hoping it's not the end of their historically great run.
dave99ag
AG
What's the O/U on this off-season thread exceeding the 2016 thread due to all the back-and-fourth going on right now?
GatorAg03
AG
Nah, I'll take off. I know y'all are tired of reading this argument. Y'all enjoy the thread. Let's hope the Spurs surprise us all and beat the warriors this year. Go Spurs go.
NickNaylor
Guitarsoup
AG
flashplayer
AG
I wonder how much he got. He can go to Disney World now.
Mike Elko
AG
Orlando, huh? Welp, adios to your career/chance of winning. Payday, I get.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Orlando had about 9mm left in space. So if they paid him 9mm w/ increases for 3y, good luck to them. This is the same team that gave Biyombo 72mm to be their backup center.
Obi Wan Ginobili
GatorAg03 said:

Specifically name me a few things I said that were just so off base?

Quote:

GatorAg03

We could absolutely trade Pau or LMA contracts if we had too. Neither are awful deals and they are short. Timothy Mozgov is a $20 million dollar player as an example.
Quote:

GatorAg03

In the LMA scenario Spurs are actually at a significant disadvantage. He only has one year remaining and if you can't get along with the Spurs with a realistic championship shot and a top 3 player then it's hard do believe that LMA isn't a big part of the problem. So he is a possibly short term, damaged asset.

I would be pleasantly surprised if even a top 10 pick is offered for him. Alot of hesitation will be on if LMA will re-sign with that club moreso than the Spurs past reputation.
Just a little contradictory, no?

Quote:

GatorAg03

I'm just glad that they are admitting what we all saw from LMA for two years. What a failed experiment that guy was. Arguably worse than Dick Jefferson.
Ya, most failed experiments average 64 wins per season.

Quote:

GatorAg03

It was definitely one of the worst signings in Spurs history

Step off the ledge, buddy. Just because they can't get past possibly the greatest team ever assembled doesn't mean he was the worst signing in Spurs history....

Quote:

GatorAg03

I'm fine if the Spurs ship him or keep him, he is decent on defense and is a 37% 3pt shooting with zero other offensive game. An ok but limited player.
He makes 2nd team All-Defense guarding the best wings in the game, but he is just OK?

League average 3pt % is 35.8. Danny shot 37.9 % last year and is a career 40% shooter. He has NEVER been asked to do anything but play defense and shoot 3's to space the floor, both of which he does at an elite level or at the very least above league average.

Otto Porter just signed a 23 million dollar contract. We get Danny for 10. "Overpaid", huh?

Quote:

GatorAg03

Are you down on LMA like the rest of us and the Spurs FO?
Rabble, rabble, something something groupthink.....

Wasn't that you accusing the masses of groupthink...?

Gator, those quotes alone were from the first 16 pages of this thread. There are still 30 pages to go.

You asked me to give you specific examples. Would you like me to continue to embarrass you?
aggie_fan13
AG
I'm trying to remain quiet til the season starts
AggieOO
He claims he's gone. let's see if he actually stays away.
Obi Wan Ginobili
azulAg said:

I'm trying to remain quiet til the season starts

I promised staff I would be nicer.

Come on back buddy.
aggie_fan13
AG
I will say this, come playoffs we will surely be missing Simmons, was really hoping he would stay
Guitarsoup
AG

Kind of surprised the Spurs wouldn't give him 7/year.
Obi Wan Ginobili
azulAg said:

I will say this, come playoffs we will surely be missing Simmons, was really hoping he would stay

If Rudy Gay buys into putting in effort on the defensive end, it won't be so bad.

He's more than athletic enough, and he's a big guy. Defense in the Spurs system is about effort
superunknown
AG
I'm kinda glad.

I kinda see spots 9-15 on the roster as interchangeable in any given year. Sure there's the rookies you ease into the rotation and all that but if you're not one of those or a starter or 1st/2nd/3rd off the bench...sorry bro. I might become a fan and i might think about buying your jert when i see the dude in the Direct Auto Insurance parking lot selling it out of his van but if it's contract time and you wanna leave, then vaya con Dios, mang. Have fun on the Roger Mason, Jr. All-Stars. I'll be rooting for him most of the time.
Guitarsoup
AG
I would have loved to have him at 1y9mm. Prove your worth and sign something huge. He originally wanted in the 12-15/year range. Now settling for 6.7.
DTP02
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Kind of surprised the Spurs wouldn't give him 7/year.

Yeah, $6.7m/yr isn't a lot in this market. I think we're going to miss the energy and defense. Gay can make up for what we lose in Simmons' driving ability, but with Parker injured and Manu even older, we needed to upgrade in that area not just tread water.
tbirdspur2010
AG
That was an R-rated evisceration, my goodness.

Also, good luck to Simmons I'm Orlando. Won't win jack, but glad the man will get paid a little bit. SA made that happen.
Old Army Metal
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

That was an R-rated evisceration, my goodness.

Also, good luck to Simmons I'm Orlando. Won't win jack, but glad the man will get paid a little bit. SA made that happen.
We've come a long way as a fan base.

I remember when Derek Anderson and Speedy Claxton took off for more money, we were burning them in effigy. Now everyone's like, "good for you! Go get paid!"

Guitarsoup
AG
I don't remember that with Speedy, but Anderson said some petty things too. He talked about it on Young's podcast (E-N) and says he regrets going public the way he did.

Worked out well for the Spurs in the long run because DA never really played good and couldn't stay healthy. If we kept DA, we never would have gotten Bowen in the next year.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I would have loved to have him at 1y9mm. Prove your worth and sign something huge. He originally wanted in the 12-15/year range. Now settling for 6.7.

I could live with that. 1 year contracts are a fart in the wind. If he continues to grow then yeah lock him up.
Ulrich
I wish these guys would figure out that the spurs generally aren't lowballing them. If you've got a better offer in hand go for it, but don't bail just because your agent thinks the market might be there.
Ag Natural
AG
I bet the Spurs weren't offering a 3 year gauranteed deal to Simmons.

They gave 2 year deals to Paul and Louvergne. Buford said publicly they've had their eye on Louvergne for a while and were shocked when he became available. He's 25. Paul is also 25 or 26 and has just as much ability as Simmons. Time will tell how this all turns out.
Guitarsoup
AG
We all heard they were offering 9/year.

If they offered 2y18mm with a player option for the second year, that is significantly better than what he signed. Maybe the Spurs took it off the table when he demanded the RFA tag to be pulled.
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieOO said:

He claims he's gone. let's see if he actually stays away.
After Obi's post, I don't imagine Hickory Gator will be around for a while. You know, because of how everyone else is wrong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.