*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,193 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
West Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
superunknown said:

Boris Diaw is a free agent?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Or DeJuan has made a resurgence.
GatorAg03
AG
Simmons is the only free agent I really want to re-sign. The rest I could take or leave. Patty's 28% shooting or whatever it was against GSW was all I needed to see.

He is a great role player and spot up shooter but he isn't a starting PG and his defense is not good. We signed him for a year longer and 50% higher amount than the warriors did Livingston. That's not good.
Enzo The Baker
AG

saltydog13
AG
No word on Iggy?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Iggy is out of the question at this point unless we move Green. He's out of our price range.
Enzo The Baker
AG
But man I hope someone scoops him up out of the Warriors' hands.

I couldn't care less about Livingston but Iggy would be a huge loss for that team.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

But the next order of business now is to try to lure back Simmons -- a restricted free agent who already has garnered interest from several teams -- as well as finding that "fit for our group" that Buford described. The Spurs were expected to meet with Golden State free agent Andre Iguodala in Los Angeles, according to ESPN's Chris Haynes. And they've touched base with representatives for the Sacramento Kings' Rudy Gay, per sources, although a signing isn't imminent.

The Spurs already tendered a qualifying offer to Simmons, a homegrown talent, and because he's a restricted free agent, the team has a right to match any offer he receives -- something it won't do if competing offers get out of hand. A source confirmed the Spurs are working on an offer that would pay Simmons annually in the $9 million range.

LawHall88
AG
It does look now like the primary benefit of Gasol opting out was to give the Spurs a shot at bringing back both Mills and Simmons.

And I think they lose Simmons and sign a Rudy Gay type in his place. If that is how it ends up, not a great off season.
GatorAg03
AG
So Patty isn't really a true 6th Man as he can't really create his own shot. He is a good undersized shooter but lacks defense. Is 12.5 the going rate for a backup point guard/under sized shooting guard? Seems to me he either starts as a budget PG or is overpaid as a backup.

I really like Patty. He has a great attitude and is fun to watch and can shoot, but this seems like a pretty poor signing unless you think he can be a serviceable starter and unfortunately the playoffs showed otherwise.
Ulrich
I also really like Patty, but that's an awful lot of money for a tiny backup shooting guard. The only way they do this is if they think Murray is a playoff starter and Simmons is back, right?
GatorAg03
AG
I'm willing to give the Spurs the benefit of the doubt until this free agency period is over. Pop and RC have shown they know what they are doing. But I agree it seems underwhelming thus far without alot of viable options left. I really hope our big move isn't missing out on Simmons and signing Rudy Gay.

Add in that Houston, OKC and Minnesota have gotten significantly better and arguably have more talent now and it really gets tough to see a championship path. Then you have your number 2 and most expensive player highly disgruntled and likely walking in a year, plus you chose to keep a legendary but likely done Parker (which I fully understand but it makes it tough to upgrade). Yet you have also limited your cap flexibility with Mills, Gasol and Simmons/Gay to sign multiyear deals. Leonard can't be thrilled as he approached free agency in two years without a viable sidekick. I say we let Leonard pull a Westbrook and pile up stats for the MVP this year and go all in on developing Murray and Simmons.

Spurs are still in the 2-4 range in the west, but definitely haven't closed the gap in anyway with GS this far while others have closed the gap on the Spurs. Not a great start to the off-season thus far.
Enzo The Baker
AG
After a period of digesting I still hate the Patty re-signing (for the price). And it makes me question why we even drafted White if we knew we were going to re-sign Patty. As we've hammered it into the ground already, for what he provides on the court, it's just a poor move. I get the basketball/locker room culture thing, and maybe it is important, but it still isn't worth the amount of money we are paying him. I think the Spurs do have loyalty blinders at times. This was definitely a 'we are rewarding you for your service' kind of signing.

The Spurs WITH Tony Parker had one of the least productive back courts in the league last season (4th worst PPG). The fact remains, we still don't have a good point guard on opening night. Patty can't run the point well. Murray will turn the ball over. And we know White won't get the nod. Best case scenario is that Murray grows out of the growing pains quickly.

Honestly the biggest positive I'm taking out of this is that in a year or two, he will be a good trade piece.
ATM9000
AG
12.5 for Patty Mills in this market isn't a horrible price.
Enzo The Baker
AG
When you look at our roster of players (full of tweener guards) and needs (point guard) and what we could potentially use that money towards (a full-sized sixth man/real PG), it is a lot of money.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Patty Mills is a good piece if he is your backup point guard. Emphasis on 'backup'. Thus far, there doesn't seem much to like about the Spurs off-season in terms of addressing their backcourt issues. Chris Paul went to Houston. Simmons is looking around. Patty Mills is getting paid more. Parker hasn't by miracle gotten younger and healthier. Is getting George Hill (from Jazz) the best hope still remaining out there? Other than putting yet more chips on a 20-year old Murray?
ATM9000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

When you look at our roster of players (full of tweener guards) and needs (point guard) and what we could potentially use that money towards (a full-sized sixth man/real PG), it is a lot of money.

Yeah but Tony is an expiring PG and you guys still need to move Aldridge this offseason.

I see San Antonio moving Aldridge and Tony for another big or 2 still and keeping the powder dry for when all of these PG's don't get the deals they are hoping for this offseason. Don't think they are close to being done.

Patty is a legit good 6th man light it up guy off the bench that fits the Spurs really well.

Superstar he is not, but he can knock 3's down and while not great defensively, he covers a ton of ground and is underrated defensively. Locking that type of player down for 4 years while he's probably in his prime the whole time and is only eating 12% or less of your cap room is a bargain.
Chipotlemonger
AG
ATM9000 said:

Some people aren't understanding this.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

Yeah but Tony is an expiring PG and you guys still need to move Aldridge this offseason.
If Aldridge isn't on this team in October, I'll be just as surprised as I was that we re-signed Patty Mills for $12.5 million.
Ulrich
Chipotlemonger said:

ATM9000 said:

Some people aren't understanding this.

It's not a matter of not understanding, it's a matter of not agreeing. Given current cap space and team needs, committing 12mm to a very specialized player looks like a bad move. Giving 12% of the cap to a guy who should only play about 15 mpg off the bench in the playoffs is a bad move.
Enzo The Baker
AG

Quote:

The Spurs feel as if they have a legitimate shot at luring the Golden State Warriors' prized sixth man away from the San Francisco Bay Area, sources said. Iguodala is open to relocating under the right parameters, according to sources.

Iguodala doesn't yet have plans to meet with the Warriors, sources said earlier.

The Warriors are expected to target free-agent forward Rudy Gay if Iguodala lands elsewhere, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

West Texan
AG
Even if we don't land Iggy or Gay, I think PATFO is trying to drive up the cost for the warriors. Although, I can't imagine why the warriors would want Gay either.
flashplayer
AG
Bay area brings in Gay.

Calling that headline now.
Ag Natural
AG
Typical fan wants to blow up a 61 team because they didn't play well without their best player against the Warriors.

I've been saying this for weeks. The Spurs brass likes this team. They will make a big move if its a no brainer but they aren't going to risk too much. Any improvement will primarily come from young guys getting better and team cohesion.

Patty was important to Pop. He needs his vet there to help Murray develop. Patty is only 28. The guy brings it every night and has hit a lot of big shots. I can't believe everyone thinks he's terrible because of one bad series. The whole team lost hope when Kawhi went down. This isnt systematic. Patty has played well in other playoff series. Am I taking crazy pills!?
ATM9000
AG
Ag Natural said:

Typical fan wants to blow up a 61 team because they didn't play well without their best player against the Warriors.

I've been saying this for weeks. The Spurs brass likes this team. They will make a big move if its a no brainer but they aren't going to risk too much. Any improvement will primarily come from young guys getting better and team cohesion.

Patty was important to Pop. He needs his vet there to help Murray develop. Patty is only 28. The guy brings it every night and has hit a lot of big shots. I can't believe everyone thinks he's terrible because of one bad series. The whole team lost hope when Kawhi went down. This isnt systematic. Patty has played well in other playoff series. Am I taking crazy pills!?

Not a Spurs fan but objectively I agree with this. Patty getting this deal solidifies a really good team. Spurs aren't in rebuild mode... They need to retool and that starts with shedding contracts where you can (Parker) and dealing players for better fits (Aldridge). Letting good players walk would be silly for them. Shocked more Spurs fans don't view locking Mills up as a good move.
superunknown
AG
Ulrich said:

Given current cap space and team needs, committing 12mm to a very specialized player looks like a bad move. Giving 12% of the cap to a guy who should only play about 15 mpg off the bench in the playoffs is a bad move.

Effing this, all day long and all 4 years of this bad deal.
Ag Natural
AG
Most fans are dumb or just don't pay attention. The Spurs have always valued guys who bought in and battled for Pop. Fans get too wrapped up in the paper fit. But basketball teams are not a sum of parts. Go listen to any clinic speaches from Pop. He values cohesion and character.

Somebody here said Kawhi would be pissed they resigned Patty. That's the most moronic statement I've seen in some time.
04.arch.ag
AG
Seems like a fair deal for Patty. Less than Eric Gordon in a year with a higher cap for the same role. Although Gordon is better with the ball in his hands. There is something to keeping the same core together as well.
Ulrich
Don't get me wrong, locking up Mills is good. I like Mills, he's an important part of the team's chemistry and has a place with his energy and shooting. But it can't be viewed in a vacuum. 12mm is a lot for a player who is only valuable for a team like San Antonio. What if it prevents us from bringing in a playoff-caliber starting point guard or re-signing a much bigger, more versatile two-way player in JSimms who also works like crazy and does whatever they ask of him without complaining?
GatorAg03
AG
So fans are dumb because we don't think re-signing Patty Mills coming off a 28% no defense WCF is closing the gap with GSW? Absolutely everyone sees the Spurs as a solid 2-4 seed with a WCF ceiling as long as we have Pop and Kawhi. Nobody is saying we will suck. We will still be very good. What we are hoping for, however, is some kind of move to realistically challenge or close the gap with GS. The PG position being upgraded was the most realistic place to do that. Instead it looks like the Spurs decided to pay extra for a player that just performed extremely poorly and was borderline unplayable against the returning GSW combo of Curry and Livingston (who signed for 50% less).

If Parker or Murray emerge as top tier PGs it was a good signing. If we expect Patty to be a starting PG, which the money suggests, then I'm skeptical.
Mike Elko
AG
GatorAg03 said:

So fans are dumb because we don't think re-signing Patty Mills coming off a 28% no defense WCF is closing the gap with GSW? Absolutely everyone sees the Spurs as a solid 2-4 seed with a WCF ceiling as long as we have Pop and Kawhi. Nobody is saying we will suck. We will still be very good. What we are hoping for, however, is some kind of move to realistically challenge or close the gap with GS. The PG position being upgraded was the most realistic place to do that. Instead it looks like the Spurs decided to pay extra for a player that just performed extremely poorly and was borderline unplayable against the returning GSW combo of Curry and Livingston (who signed for 50% less).

If Parker or Murray emerge as top tier PGs it was a good signing. If we expect Patty to be a starting PG, which the money suggests, then I'm skeptical.

Nailed it. Every word.
flashplayer
AG
Agree with the above as well. Unless they have something else up their sleeve, this is a very meh summer for the Spurs. Getting through the Rockets in the 2nd round looks a lot tougher already and they may not even be done yet.
Good Poster
AG
GatorAg03 said:

Very bad and shortsighted analysis
ATM9000
AG
GatorAg03 said:

This is nuts for so many reasons.

Also, to the poster saying Patty Mills, about a 40% career 3 point shooter, has value to very little teams but the Spurs... you are on crack. Plain and simple.

This post above... would be like me saying 'Harden had a bad game and can't get the Rockets over the Spurs... we need to let him walk or get draft picks for him while we can!' It's ridiculous.

Look... I'd get it if the Spurs were in the Rockets cap situation where signing Mills throws the Spurs at the cap and they have no real moves or assets to work around it... but that's not the Spur's situation at all. Before judging the move, just wait and see what else the Spurs do.

Also, $12MM doesn't suggest Patty is expected to start at PG... for crying out loud, JRUE HOLIDAY just nabbed $25MM a year... market has changed a lot these past 2 seasons and you have to adjust expectations when you view these deals. There's still a lot of time left in free agency and dominoes to fall. I expect the Spurs to use their remaining space, Parker's contract and probably Aldridge when the dust settles to go and improve their roster.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.