*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,176 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
flashplayer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought the same. But the part that doesn't make sense to me is he only has to be with Lebron 1 more year, then would be a FA in 2019. Seems like a weak move to request a trade at this point. Only staying in CLE 1 year without Lebron isn't really the definition of being left high and dry.

Must be more to it than what has been made public.
Ulrich
flashplayer said:

Does anyone know what Delonte West is up to these days?
aggieactor01
AG
Ulrich said:

flashplayer said:

Does anyone know what Delonte West is up to these days?
AggieOO
Guitarsoup said:

LBJ, Rose, Love and LaMarcus would probably make the Finals in the East.

It's the east. LeBron, me, my two dogs, and a broken patio chair could make the finals.
Ag Natural
AG
AggieOO said:

Guitarsoup said:

It's the east. LeBron, me, my two dogs, and a broken patio chair could make the finals.

I don't see a patio chair getting along with Labron. It would surely demand a trade and the season would end in disgrace.
tbirdspur2010
AG
AggieOO said:

Guitarsoup said:

Fido & Fido combining to average 63 and 24 in the ECF.
TyHolden
AG
So Irving is a Spir???
Pumpkinhead
AG
flashplayer said:

I thought the same. But the part that doesn't make sense to me is he only has to be with Lebron 1 more year, then would be a FA in 2019. Seems like a weak move to request a trade at this point. Only staying in CLE 1 year without Lebron isn't really the definition of being left high and dry.

https://theringer.com/why-kyrie-irving-wants-out-of-cleveland-and-away-from-lebron-james-1b80fe2857d9
AggieOO
DSAg44 said:

So Irving is a Spir???

Bleacher report saying Mills, geen, and 2018 first round pick to Cleveland.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Notes from Cleveland guy as of an hour ago

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2017/07/cleveland_cavaliers_scribbles_62.amp
AggieOO
AggieOO said:

DSAg44 said:

So Irving is a Spir???

Not surprising, doesn't look legit.
flashplayer
AG
Anyone ever see anything come out regarding Gasols contract amount? I've only seen 3y with partial 3rd yr guarantee. I'm curious how much they blew of their 2018 cap.
ToHntortoFsh
Given a choice Between kyrie this year or lebron next supposing each would want to be in SA, which one do you take?
TyHolden
AG
ToHntortoFsh said:

Given a choice Between kyrie this year or lebron next supposing each would want to be in SA, which one do you take?
lebron ain't coming to SA....
Pumpkinhead
AG
AggieOO said:

AggieOO said:

DSAg44 said:

So Irving is a Spir???

Not surprising, doesn't look legit.

The Cavs would have to have gone ridiculously brain dead to make a trade like that. 25 year old All-star guard for A pu-pu platter of Mills, Green, and a pick that will be late in the first round? Yikes!
flashplayer
AG
No brainer. Lebron. But problem is Kawhi needs a sidekick before Lebron will come here. He only likes teams with 3 all stars. Spurs will need to have enough for 2 max contracts next free agency and have someone lined up and agreed to before Lebron seriously considers them.

I agree with anyone who says they have a slim shot at Lebron. But to say they have no shot is silly. They'd be one of 2-3 teams with any legit chance.
ToHntortoFsh
I think it's a long shot too. But like Soup said of the teams that'll have the room only one has another MVP level player. Who else is out there for the Spurs to bring in?
Guitarsoup
AG
DeAndre Jordan at 25mm/yr starting + LeBron at 30mm/yr starting would fit along with Kawhi, Patty, Gasol, White and Murray.
MookieBlaylock
AG
The same Jordan that pop passed on?

Could have had him for pennies
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs needed a PG and drafted George Hill. That seemed to work out pretty well.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I don't think the Kyrie trade happens for three reasons.

1) The Spurs just don't have the assets (for a two-way trade at least). With two years plus an option, the Cavs can send him anywhere they want.

2) If they did end up pulling a trade off, sending green and LMA and whoever else would really hurt the Spurs. As constructed I still think the Spurs have the best shot against GS. But for that to happen we need good defense and we need LMA to play well to give us an adavantage down low. We won't have either of those things if we make this trade.

3) If the Spurs do try to swing a trade and miss, it could really mess up the locker room and a fragile LMA who has seemed to come around to staying lately.

I honestly think Kyrie works it out and end up staying.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Guitarsoup said:

DeAndre Jordan at 25mm/yr starting + LeBron at 30mm/yr starting would fit along with Kawhi, Patty, Gasol, White and Murray.
Before you even flirted with the idea of trying to get LeBron into San Antonio next season, you would have to sit down with Kawhi and make sure he would be totally on board with that. While I've seen media comments that LeBron has his 'banana boat' buddies and likes Paul George etc., not sure I've ever seen anything about him and Kawhi being chummy. Obviously the first critical requirement would be those two guys would actually want to play together. If they don't like each other that much then that's it. End of story.
Pumpkinhead
AG
https://theringer.com/kyrie-irving-san-antonio-spurs-trade-scenarios-57bf19761668
Guitarsoup
AG
I'd be all over Kyrie, but I don't think he is necessarily the best fit for the Spurs. Negative defender and me-first player. Neither of these things are really Spurs-type things.
Ag Natural
AG
I dont see it happening. The Cavs couldn't possibly be dumb enough for a straight trade unless the Spurs give up Kawhi.

A three team? How those Knicks?

Kyrie to Spurs
Melo to Cavs
Murray, Bertans, pick to Knicks

The Knicks want young guys, picks and cap space. Bertans and The Zinger are boys. I know this doesn't work money wise for the Spurs as-is. But something similar could work.

Of course, if the knicks would do this why not just trade foe Kyrie straight up? There are a lot of obstacles for getting Kyrie to SA.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I'd be all over Kyrie, but I don't think he is necessarily the best fit for the Spurs. Negative defender and me-first player. Neither of these things are really Spurs-type things.

Kyrie gets a bad rap. The guys sounds very intelligent and I've never read him as a me first guy. The reports that he wants to be a focal point are worthless IMO.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think the most likely scenario would be something centered around:

Bledsoe Suns -> Cavs
LaMarcus Spurs -> Suns
Kyrie Cavs -> SPurs

Bledsoe is good friends with LeBron and they use the same agent. Suns have pursued LaMarcus heavily and discussed trading for him before the draft. Makes sense for each team. Just add in the rest of the minor players to taste.
flashplayer
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Kyrie gets a bad rap. The guys sounds very intelligent and I've never read him as a me first guy. The reports that he wants to be a focal point are worthless IMO.

Those reports came from Lebrons spokesman...I mean, Brian Windhorst, the least biased "analyst " that's ever lived and certainly hasn't made a career off knob slobbering Lebron.

So yeah, the focal point garbage is probably overblown. I do think there's more to the story though. There are rumblings today that it was actually Lebrons people who leaked the Kyrie news. I'd believe it that Lebron actually wants Kyrie out and when Kyrie found this out, he requested to be traded. Then Lebrons crew outs him by going public and blaming Kyrie for the whole thing.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I think the most likely scenario would be something centered around:

Bledsoe Suns -> Cavs
LaMarcus Spurs -> Suns
Kyrie Cavs -> SPurs

Bledsoe is good friends with LeBron and they use the same agent. Suns have pursued LaMarcus heavily and discussed trading for him before the draft. Makes sense for each team. Just add in the rest of the minor players to taste.

I'd be all for that move but I think he Suns would likely need a PG (Dejounte?) and the Cavs would need more incentive (DG for Shumpert?). If that's the case I'm not sure I'd do the deal.
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, how good a deal it would be would depend on other parts.

Suns still have Brandon Knight and Tyler Ulis at point. I think Ulis is going to be a solid PG.
LawHall88
AG
I don't see how the Spurs trade LMA without getting a rotation big in return. As its stands, depth is a problem at the 4/5 spots already; after LMA, you got Gasol, Bertans, Lauvergne, and maybe Lee. I know Kawhi and/or Gay probably get some run as stretch 4s, but still...
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea our rebounding and interior D would take a huge hit.
Guitarsoup
AG
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9ue6e7f

Something starting like this works but would cost a lot of taxes.
Ulrich
If Bledsoe is in play I'd rather just try to get him instead of Irving.
Guitarsoup
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.