*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,058 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
CoachC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Has he had any off-court issues besides punching his buddy?

16' -> 23' FG% last year
Griffin: .436
LMA: .424

FWIW: LMA's 16-23' FG% is basically the same in SA as it was in Portland.
that's crazy to me. Is there a difference in his volume of shots then?
Guitarsoup
AG
The_chum said:

I'm not great with the whole cap space game, but my dream off-season right now has us telling LA to grow tf up and play out this season, and we then sign hill, Simmons, and igoudala. Not sure if that's realistic or not but I think that finally gives us some more depth, playmaking, and 3pt shooting which we desperately needed last season
We have about 23mm to play with, if we renounce everyone but Simmons (that includes Manu and Gasol.)

Give Gasol a 4y/30mm - that will start at 6mm this year. If he retires after year two, you can spread the remaining 2y/16mm out over 5 years on the cap. He gets 30mm for playing two years for opting out of 16mm this year.

Now that 23mm is 17mm. Maybe you get Hill and Iggy for 17mm starting salaries, but I would doubt it. I think someone overpays Iggy to cut depth from the Warriors just like Cuban tried to do with overpaying for Chandler Parsons to take him away from the Rockets.

CoachC16
AG
Damn man so essentially then the only we really shake things up is if LA gets shipped out
Guitarsoup
AG
The_chum said:

Guitarsoup said:

Has he had any off-court issues besides punching his buddy?

16' -> 23' FG% last year
Griffin: .436
LMA: .424

FWIW: LMA's 16-23' FG% is basically the same in SA as it was in Portland.
that's crazy to me. Is there a difference in his volume of shots then?
Griffin shot 28% of his shots from 16-23 feet last year, which is slightly down from previous because he shot 12% of his shots from three (making 34% of his threes.) LMA shot 33% of his shots from 16-23 feet. Only 5% from three, but he made 41% of his threes.

LMA hit 44% of his threes from the corner and they were 41% of the total threes he shot. Blake Griffin his an astounding 48% of his corner threes last year. Nearly all of both players' threes are catch and shoot.
Guitarsoup
AG
Good news, you can see just how tiny your hands are compared to Kawhi now!

https://sizefly.com/kawhi-leonard
dave99ag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Good news, you can see just how tiny your hands are compared to Kawhi now!
Tips of my fingers barely come to his last knuckles.

You can also compare against President Trump's.
Ag Natural
AG
Wow that is creepy.
Enzo The Baker
AG
There are reports that Griffin might not even be able to play until December because of his toe.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

Paul was seriously interested in playing for the Spurs, according to a source. But with Aldridge's status with the Spurs up in the air, it made the situation less attractive. It probably would have been awkward for Paul to take the starting role over longtime Spurs point guard, respected foe and friend Tony Parker.
Enzo The Baker
AG
From ESPN
Quote:

Hill had a strong season in Utah and most around the league expect him to remain with the Jazz or end up in San Antonio.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

There are reports that Griffin might not even be able to play until December because of his toe.

Cool, maybe that will drive down his price.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think Phoenix or Miami will offer him the max 4 years $130 million.
Ulrich
Someone will offer Griffin the max. He's a Name worth more to a franchise than just his (considerable) talent.
Guitarsoup
AG
Hoping Phoenix goes with Millsap instead.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Millsap is better than Griffin. If the Spurs had a choice they should absolutely go for Millsap. He's an excellent defender and would fit well into Pops system.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Millsap is better than Griffin. If the Spurs had a choice they should absolutely go for Millsap. He's an excellent defender and would fit well into Pops system.
Millsap is also 32 to Griffin's 28. Big difference when talking about a 4 year commitment.

LMA + Kyle Anderson for Millsap. Make it happen.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Millsap is also 32 to Griffin's 28. Big difference when talking about a 4 year commitment.

LMA + Kyle Anderson for Millsap. Make it happen.

Yeah that would be a no brainer for the Spurs. The problem is Atlanta. I can't tell if they are looking to rebuild or reload. They just dumped Howard and you know Bud will get honest feedback on LMas attitude. Their issue is Millsap might leave anyway so a trade makes sense.

Still, Millsap vs Blake I think leans Millsap. He's older but has had much fewer injuries. Giving big money to Blake should scare everyone. The upside is hugeasy and I'm sure someone will bite. He's from Oklahoma and might be interested in getting out of LA.
Guitarsoup
AG
The bonus for Atl is that they can shop LMA's expiring deal and he fits in nicely with their team. Plus for LMA, he would be the focal point of the offense with a solid PG to get him the rock.

C Plumlee
PF LMA (gets to be just PF)
SF Beli
SG Bazemore
PG Scroeder

They aren't winning anything anytime soon, but better than getting Eric Gordon or nothing.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Moving Kyrie for what's potentially a one year rental of Paul George?
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think the Cavs are convinced they can't compete with the Warriors defensively. Kyrie apparently was even on the table for a three team deal with the suns on draft day where Bledsoe and George would have gone to the Cavs. To make the deal, I think the Cavs would have to at least get some assurance from George that he would re-sign.
Enzo The Baker
AG
And the Cavs also probably want to keep George out of the Celtics' hands.
West Texan
AG
I understand all that, but I'd try everything I could to keep the 25 year old that's an elite scorer and creator with the ball in his hands. I don't think swapping Kyrie for George makes the cavs any closer to GS.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Now I'm just confused. Which George are we talking about?
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Now I'm just confused. Which George are we talking about?

Sorry, Paul George. If they could move Love for Paul George, I think they'd be able to give the warriors a run, but not for Kyrie imo.
Enzo The Baker
AG
It's the Summer of George.

I think you can make the argument for both. On one hand you would lose the fire power of Kyrie but if you have Hill and PG in your back court, that's one of the best defensive backcourts in the league. And if the Spurs first game showed anything, it's that the only way to best GS is with defense. No one will be able to match their firepower and offensive execution.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

It's the Summer of George.

I think you can make the argument for both. On one hand you would lose the fire power of Kyrie but if you have Hill and PG in your back court, that's one of the best defensive backcourts in the league. And if the Spurs first game showed anything, it's that the only way to best GS is with defense. No one will be able to match their firepower and offensive execution.

I agree that the way to beat the warriors is through defense, which is why I'm in favor of us signing George Hill. But for as good of individual defenders as Hill, Paul George, and Lebrun are, I don't think they have the defensive system in place that a team like the Spurs has. Pop has been one of the best defensive coaches for two decades and has a habit of making guys into better defenders than they were for other teams (LMA is a good example of this). I think Cleveland lacks the defensive cohesion to make it work, so I'd keep the elite scorer if I were them.
West Texan
AG
Summer league roster

https://twitter.com/spurs/status/880805850713141248/photo/1
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So what are the chances we keep Patty?
flashplayer
AG
None to less than none
saltydog13
AG
Never mind. False story
aggieactor01
AG
Haven't seen that one anywhere today no.
saltydog13
AG
Yeah it was a false story
GatorAg03
AG
Mark Stein reporting "Word is San Antonio has been preparing an offer for fast-developing restricted free agent Jonathon Simmons in the $9 million range annually"

Also in different news Rubio is being traded to the Jazz so George Hill is likely not re-signing in Utah, not all that surprisingly.
Mike Elko
AG
Iggy meeting with SA at 12:01 a.m.

I really hope we don't sign him. Yet another aging vet that'll command a high contract. Don't do it, RC... Don't do it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.