*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,212 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

The initial argument was Gay vs Melo, and you left one for them out if the equation.

No, I was specifically replying to an argument about who had the best bench. I even screenshot what the comment and reply was to for you to help you remember. You are just so terrible at all of this. It was very clear what I was talking about and what comments I was replying to so there would be no mix up and you still managed to screw that up. No real surprise to anyone.
GatorAg03
AG
If you have a great PG and elite scoring options around him, like we did during the title run then he works. When you don't and you go heavy iso, then he doesn't.

Who outside of Kawhi is going to be the creator that jump-starts the offense and gets Green a lot of open looks?

Mills and Murray haven't shown am ability to do that yet. Manu can do it, but is 40.
GatorAg03
AG
Go look at the post right above it that you first responded too and all my posts since. It's clearly the Melo vs Gay discussion. And Gay could easily be a starter for the Spurs by the end of the year. Your whole argument is crap.
Guitarsoup
AG
Every post you make is crap. Did I or did I not reply to a post about the two teams benches then list the rotational bench players on each team?

Then you took that list of bench players and added Carmelo Anthony to it - a player who is in no way a bench player.

Give it up, it is just the latest in a long line of terrible arguments you made.

Here you go:
-------------

--------------

Clearly and unequivocally replying to a comment about the benches. And then you added Melo to the Rockets side on that discussion. Then tried to defend it over and over and over. It is mind-blowingly idiotic.
GatorAg03
AG
The initial discussion and all since, centered around you claiming Gay is a positive Spur signing, yet Melo would be bad for the Rockets. You then went into Melo supposedly having to do much more for the Rockets, yet you leave him out of the comparison? That's idiotic.

Since you are so knowledgable and I'm such a trash poster, you should take the bet. Let's see who knows their basketball.

And you even added hypothetical bench players and at least one starter in Murray/Mills.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

The initial discussion and all since, centered around you claiming Gay is a great Spur signing,

Where did I say Gay was a great Spur signing? Given that the Spurs only had the MLE without dumping major rotational parts, it was good signing. To sign someone with his talent and keep our cap space next year without losing anyone else.

Quote:

yet Melo would be bad for the Rockets.

I'm not the only one that thinks Melo would be a poor fit. Those reasons are listed multiple times. Even Rockets fans on the Rockets thread question how good of a fit he is considering he recently got the Rockets' coach fired because he hated playing for him and hated playing his style of basketball.

Quote:

You then went into Melo supposedly having to do much more for the Rockets, yet you leave him out of the comparison? That's idiotic.

I left him out of a comparison of the two teams benches. Carmelo has no place in the discussion of how many rotational players the Rockets have on their bench. How can you still not understand that? I feel like Woody trying to explain to Buzz Lightyear that he is a toy.

Quote:

Since you are so knowledgable and I'm such a trash poster, you should take the bet. Let's see who knows their basketball.

In the ~20 years I have posted on Texags and GoBig12, if you can find one instance of me making or taking your bet, I will take your bet. Good luck searching.
GatorAg03
AG
Why would I care if you ever took a bet in the past? Put something behind your opinions if you actually believe them so strongly.
Guitarsoup
AG
If you want me to take the bet so badly, do a little legwork.
GatorAg03
AG
What are you talking about? Why would I care to search if you ever made a bet before?
Guitarsoup
AG
Stupid bet, stupid terms. Those are my terms. Your choice to take them.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Azul poked his head into this thread again, saw Gator high AF on his own nonsense, and slowly slipped back out the room.

Smart move, buddy. Gator is taking the heat off you in a big way right now.
GatorAg03
AG
Except I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is and got no takers. That's ok, I forgot this is Texags where groupthink reigns supreme and nobody can dare have an alternate opinion.
Ag Natural
AG
Anytime you make a comment like "You can't win a championship with player X".. then I stop reading. That's the goto talking head dumb ass analysis.
Ulrich
You both lose. As do the rest of us. Chill please, dudes, save something for the regular season.
aggieactor01
AG
I saw the gajillion updates on this thread in my watchlist and thought something major and exciting had happened. Thanks for getting my hopes up guys.
Old Army Metal
AG
aggieactor01 said:

thought something major and exciting had happened

You're a Spurs fan, you say?
Guitarsoup
AG
GatorAg03 said:

Except I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is and got no takers. That's ok, I forgot this is Texags where groupthink reigns supreme and nobody can dare have an alternate opinion.
You are so noble. Or maybe other people are smart enough to realize what a terrible bet it is. Two of the top ~5 players coming off major injury at the beginning of the season so there will likely be a lot of adjusting and playing of the young players for the first couple months. Regular season record likely won't tell the tale of whether this team is better or worse than last year's team considering Parker won't play a couple months and while Gay is cleared to play already, we don't really know much about his status or conditioning.

It's almost like the team's total record may not be indicative of whether the team is better or worse when it matters. Or one Zaza Pascheap Shot and Kawhi blows out his knee and the season is over.

Yeah, so noble of you to offer such an intelligent and well-thought out bet.
GatorAg03
AG
You obviously don't want to bet, so just let it go. All those points you made are exactly what I've been saying all along. Lots of unknowns on what the Spurs will be this year with Gay and Parker status at the top of the list. The other people on this board want us to let it go so let's do just that.
Guitarsoup
AG
I'm happy to bet. But if you want me to bet with you, you have to work for it.

It's a dumb bet and you know it. Throwback to the Simplebay era of Texags.
superunknown
AG
GatorAg03 said:

If you have a great PG and elite scoring options around him, like we did during the title run then he works. When you don't and you go heavy iso, then he doesn't.

Good point. I think part of Green's ineffectiveness lately is due in part to less "beautiful game" and more iso. Imma go ahead and blame LMA for that.
Guitarsoup
AG
Shea Article on Bryn-sanity.

https://theringer.com/bryn-forbes-summer-league-san-antonio-spurs-las-vegas-455e97bdbe97
AggieOO
GatorAg03
AG
Well, it at least shows I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Instead of going with the standard name calling such as calling me a trash poster, a tool and to put my head in wood chipper. I guess we know which way some of y'all prefer to argue.

Some of y'all are so sensitive that you resort to name calling as soon as anyone challenges that maybe the Spurs will be a bit worse than last year. That maybe post-injury Gay is just as unknown and inefficient as Melo. Or that this off-season didn't go quite as swimmingly as hoped and that maybe other West teams got markedly better while Spurs got a little worse. Or even that Danny Green isn't irreplaceable or even all that great of a starting NBA 2 guard. Groupthink reigns supreme on this board, which is why there is a huge moderator note telling people to chill and telling people to stay on their little threads of fairy tales and utopia.

It's ok to have a different opinion. Not every Spurs fan has to think the same as you do. A I said before, I think we will win mid 50ish games and will be a 3 seed, which is really good in a transition year and was even willing to bet on it to end the argument until we see results. And yet the same old few are amazingly upset about it because it is just a slightly negative take.
Guitarsoup
AG
Put your money where your mouth is by offering a stupid bet no one would accept.
GatorAg03
AG
I was betting on exactly what I have said I think will happen this upcoming year? What else would I bet on and why?
DTP02
AG
All that is missing from these last few pages is someone threatening to "pull the car over right now" if the two kids in the backseat won't stop arguing...
Obi Wan Ginobili
GatorAg03 said:

Well, it at least shows I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Instead of going with the standard name calling such as calling me a trash poster, a tool and to put my head in wood chipper. I guess we know which way some of y'all prefer to argue.

Some of y'all are so sensitive that you resort to name calling as soon as anyone challenges that maybe the Spurs will be a bit worse than last year. That maybe post-injury Gay is just as unknown and inefficient as Melo. Or that this off-season didn't go quite as swimmingly as hoped and that maybe other West teams got markedly better while Spurs got a little worse. Or even that Danny Green isn't irreplaceable or even all that great of a starting NBA 2 guard. Groupthink reigns supreme on this board, which is why there is a huge moderator note telling people to chill and telling people to stay on their little threads of fairy tales and utopia.

It's ok to have a different opinion. Not every Spurs fan has to think the same as you do. A I said before, I think we will win mid 50ish games and will be a 3 seed, which is really good in a transition year and was even willing to bet on it to end the argument until we see results. And yet the same old few are amazingly upset about it because it is just a slightly negative take.
I can be quoted on this very thread saying I think the Spurs finish as the 4 or 5 seed this season, so you can drop all this "groupthink" bull *****

Our problem with you is that you make things up, you make comparisons that are akin to comparing a bowling ball and leaf blower, and you completely ignore when people post legitimate facts/statistics and just keep trolling away.

Lots of people on here have different opinions.

I think the Spurs are going to coast this season and try to turn it up in the playoffs. Some people think I'm nuts.

Some people on this thread are pissed we didn't blow it up and rebuild in a single offseason. Others think bringing back a 61 win team is probably a good move.

Also, I didn't tell you to stick your head in a woodchipper. I said I'll bet you won't, which is as dumb as the bet you proposed.

You can call people sensitive all you want, but you're the whiny poster who cried to staff cause Obi Wan is a big meanie, so now I have to treat you like a little kid.

Earmuffs, GartorAg, earmuffs.
GatorAg03
AG
You just don't like that you can't shout me down like you do with most by being hostile. I made nothing up. I just gave my opinion and you simply don't like it.

Again, there is a reason this board is moderated so differently and it's because a small group of long time posters think they can shout louder than everyone else and name call and just add hostility until the others back down. It's so toxic to the point that y'all are worked up over minor differences such as Melo being as inefficient as Gay or Mills not being a great signing. It's ridiculous.

Just agree to disagree and move along. It's really not that hard.
flashplayer
AG
And I'm in my own boat thinking the Spurs are good for this year, but probably screwed next year and beyond. Pretty wide range of opinions on this board.

The groupthink comment was inaccurate and not called for.

The only reason this board is moderated the way it is stems from the fact that the staff are overwhelmingly fans of one franchise located in TX
NickNaylor
You complain about everyone else, but you are a major part of the problem. HTH
Ag Natural
AG
flashplayer said:

And I'm in my own boat thinking the Spurs are good for this year, but probably screwed next year and beyond. Pretty wide range of opinions on this board.

The groupthink comment was inaccurate and not called for.
They are good for this year and have flexibility going forward. I'm not sure how that translates to being screwed. Yeah its true they could totally strike out on building next year's roster but they will have a damn good starting point. i.e. Kawhi, Patty and few others not on huge contracts.
Mike Elko
AG
Y'all know it's Friday, right? R-E-L-A-X.
GatorAg03
AG
That's fine. I'll gladly move along if not wanted here. This certainty isn't the first or last time long time posters like me that have never had any issues on any other boards meet up with the same old group of posters here. There is a reason it's moderated so heavily.
Obi Wan Ginobili
GatorAg03 said:

You just don't like that you can't shout me down like you do with most by being hostile. I made nothing up. I just gave my opinion and you simply don't like it.

Again, there is a reason this board is moderated so differently and it's because a small group of long time posters think they can shout louder than everyone else and name call and just add hostility until the others back down. It's so toxic to the point that y'all are worked up over minor differences such as Melo being as inefficient as Gay or Mills not being a great signing. It's ridiculous.

Just agree to disagree and move along. It's really not that hard.
But see, I only shout at you and Azul, because y'all toss around dumbass comments based entirely on the fiction in your own head. I love hearing different opinions. I like when someone raises such a good point that I question my own thoughts on the team or the direction they are heading.

Then you trot out here and start making crap up, get called out on it, and then tell us to calm down.

Do you really not see how you're on an island by yourself on this thread? Not because you have your own opinion, but because the things you say are so far off base that no one can stand you clogging up the thread with it.
GatorAg03
AG
Specifically name me a few things I said that were just so off base?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.