*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,148 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Anyway the spurs could make a move for Avery Bradley or jar crowder? Celts are supposedly shopping both along with Marcus smart in order to make room for Hayward.

Aren't they trying to create cap space? After Danny's $10mm contact, our next biggest is Kyle's $2mm.

If they'd take Tony for Jae+Avery, if do it in a heartbeat. Danny+Kyle+Forbes world, too.

We also have $0 cap room until we do something with Manu and Pau

We could create the room to absorb both contracts if Patty hasn't signed yet.
Enzo The Baker
AG
It looks like the Celtics could possibly just do a S&T with the Jazz if Hayward agrees to it.
duck79
AG
Looks like Bryn didn't appreciate this thread. Nice game for him
Guitarsoup
AG
duck79 said:

Looks like Bryn didn't appreciate this thread. Nice game for him
GatorAg03
AG
Any updates on Murray? How has he looked through the first couple of games? Does it look like his shot has improved any?
West Texan
AG
GatorAg03 said:

Any updates on Murray? How has he looked through the first couple of games? Does it look like his shot has improved any?

He took a couple open 3s but missed them both, so tough to judge his jumper on two shots. He was much better with the ball and didn't have any turnovers that I can remember. He had 10 rebounds which you gotta love out of your PG. played excellent on ball defense. He got into the paint at will, created opportunities for others (would have had a bunch of assists with competent big men), and got to the free throw line several times. The bad was that he finished 0-10 from the field. For as easily as he can get into the paint, he really struggled to finish. Had a few that were unlucky, but you still gotta get those to fall.

Edit: just looked and he had 4 assists and 2 turnovers. Easily could have been closer to 7 or 8 assist if guys could finish down low.
Ulrich
Offensively Murray was terrible tonight, worse than the previous game. Bad turnovers, worse shots, pointless drives. He did have a few good kickouts in that a pass arrived at an open shooter, but several of them would have been turnovers against average NBA defense. He consistently either jumps or turns away from the basket before making the kickout pass. In the NBA defenders will jump the passing lanes and because he's already in that awkward position he'll have to decide between traveling, throwing it away, or flipping a shot up over his head. For some reason it really bothers me that his body language looks supremely confident but his game is so shaky.

Defensively he was better than last game. He didn't have the steals, but he also maintained better position and didn't get ragdolled.

Other players:
Obviously Forbes was the story of the game. He looked determined to score and had no problem doing it. Nice array of shots. Hit a couple catch and shot threes curling off a screen, twisting floaters and pullups at about 12', layups from isolation, and set shots. That's what a player with a year of NBA experience should look like.

Lalanne is still terrible. LJC is still a much worse player than his physical talent would suggest. White got less opportunity this game, but continued to look at home generally making the right plays. Blossomgame looked better, though still extremely average.

Bertans looks like he has shaken off the rust and been working on driving to his left. Had a nice running lefty floater from the baseline to go with a flurry of threes.

EDIT: to add that Murray did rebound well and maybe I'm being too critical. But right now he's being judged less as a raw 30th pick in his second season and more as a potential starting point guard and maybe even part of the reason we didn't spend the money to bring in George Hill. By the first standards he's trading water; by the second he's in way over his head.
FTAG 2000
AG
Murray's being pushed by the coaching staff to create. Problem is, the other teams are camping in the passing lanes for his throws.

In the regular season, he'd just take the scoring opportunities and roll with it, but he's being pushed to pass no matter what in SL.

Will be interesting to see things progress.
GatorAg03
AG
Roberson re-signs with OKC for 3 years $30 million. Pretty nice bargain contract under the new salary cap. OKC will be pretty salty I think.

George, Adams and Roberson is a pretty solid defensive core and Westbrook gives them plenty of scoring.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea after GSW I'm most worried about OKC matchup-wise.
CoachC16
AG
Not sure he's a fit because of his size, but the pacers just released Monta Ellis
Guitarsoup
AG
The_chum said:

Not sure he's a fit because of his size, but the pacers just released Monta Ellis
Volume shooter that plays questionable defense at best probably isn't a great Spurs match. If he can come cheap and is willing to be part of the second team, sure.

I'd rather see if we can land JaMychel Green.
TyHolden
AG
what is stevie nash doing these days? could we get nash and narwitzski together?
Ag Natural
AG
I DVR'd the game just watched it. The guys really bounced back. I thought Forbes looked pretty comfy in game one but last night he really lit it up. Murray looked better even though he couldnt get anything to fall. He is clearly talented. Some of his one on one play making is pretty exceptional. If he had bigs who could finish he easily racks up nice assist numbers. Bertans looked very good. White looked pretty comfortable.

All in all, the gaurds and Bertans looked very good considering they were playing a Boston team with two top 3 picks. It will be interesting to see them against Philly tonight.

The front court is a mystery to me because the playing time is there to taken. Of all the summer league bigs I've got to say Jefferson or Whittington maybe have shown something to warrant a camp invite. Jefferson is a big guy and battles hard. Whittington can shoot. All the other guys look like g leaguers at best.
Mike Elko
AG
DSAg44 said:

what is stevie nash doing these days? could we get nash and narwitzski together?
How about Eduardo Najera while we're at it?
Pumpkinhead
AG
GatorAg03 said:

Roberson re-signs with OKC for 3 years $30 million. Pretty nice bargain contract under the new salary cap. OKC will be pretty salty I think.

George, Adams and Roberson is a pretty solid defensive core and Westbrook gives them plenty of scoring.
And they added Patrick Patterson who was a good pickup for them who helps their depth. Patterson is regarded as a good versatile defender who made 36% of his threes last year as well, so he is a decent shooter.

http://newsok.com/article/5555200

TyHolden
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

DSAg44 said:

How about Eduardo Najera while we're at it?
dirk resigned with the mav*****
Guitarsoup
AG

Kelly O off the list. Same contract as Patty.
West Texan
AG
I wonder if we were even interested in him. I sure would have liked to add him to our rotation.
West Texan
AG

Well, we signed Rudy Gay.
Pendragon12
AG
Edit - West beat me to it
West Texan
AG
Ag Natural
AG
Sounds like a pretty cheap deal. I guess Rudy was willing to take less, perhaps because he's coming off the achilles.
Guitarsoup
AG
Not ideal, but a better scorer than anyone on the team outside Kawhi.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Is this MLE money? Also, can we still match Simmons offers without going into luxury tax territory?
West Texan
AG
I was pretty against signing Gay, but holy crap that's a heck of a deal we got him for.
Enzo The Baker
AG
If he's healthy I really like this deal. We have a real, polished bench scorer now.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Apparently they used the MLE and they still have room to match Simmons and develop a new contract for Pau. I just saw that on Twitter so no guarantees to the accuracy so I guess we'll see.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Is this MLE money? Also, can we still match Simmons offers without going into luxury tax territory?
Yes it is MLE money. We signed him for non-tax payer exception, so I think we get hard capped to not have luxury tax.

Impossible to know final level without knowing what happens with Dedmon, Lee, Manu, Simmons and Gasol.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Good pickup by Spurs.
flashplayer
AG
I don't see this having any impact on Simmons either way. What this does is allows Mills to potentially be the starter with Gay being the offensive spark for the bench.
Guitarsoup
AG
Gay is 230lbs and 6'8 with a 7'3 wingspan.

I think Pop is going to give in to small ball and we will see some LMA/Gay/Kawhi/Green/Murray "smallball" lineups where everyone is 6'5 or taller and has a wingspan of 6'10 or more.
West Texan
AG
So some things to ponder.

-how well will Gay recover from a ruptured achillies?
-how does he fit next to Kawhi? I'm not too worried about him dominating the ball with the bench unit, but he's gonna be a second or third option when on the floor with Kawhi. -assuming our goal with this signing to was to try and matchup with some of the small ball lineups we see (warriors), who does he defend?
flashplayer
AG
All I want to know is do the Spurs still have a path to signing Lebron and Deandre Jordan next summer while keeping LMA.

Murray, Kawhi, Lebron, LMA, Deandre would be a fun starting lineup.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

-how well will Gay recover from a ruptured achillies?

What history tells us is that he will not be as good at slashing/jumping. Shouldn't hurt his shot much, though. Everyone is different, but it isn't really the injury you want to see from an athletic wing.

Quote:

-how does he fit next to Kawhi? I'm not too worried about him dominating the ball with the bench unit, but he's gonna be a second or third option when on the floor with Kawhi.

I think he fits fine. He played 40% of his minutes at PF last year and hit 38% of his corner threes. I think he will play more PF/Stretch 4 and less wing next year, especially if he isn't jumping as well. Kawhi will likely spend a lot of the season playing a point-ish type position.

Quote:

-assuming our goal with this signing to was to try and matchup with some of the small ball lineups we see (warriors), who does he defend?

He isn't an elite defender by any means, but I think we match him up with Draymond primarily. Maybe even against whoever their post scrub is. Even if Zaza vs Gay is a mismatch, it isn't like GSW is going to waste time exploiting it with Durant/Curry on the floor.

Against Houston, he's probably a better bet than LMA to guard Anderson or Ariza and he helps us match up against them better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.