*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,183 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone quoting r/NBA a couple pages ago.

Here is a thread from just two years ago.

Wiggins vs Kawhi. Overwhelming majority took Wiggins and downvoted anyone that voted Kawhi. Pretty hilarious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2v5sdh/interesting_question_would_you_rather_have_andrew/
Ulrich
I REALLY wanted Iggy last time he was a free agent. He's smart, unselfish, plays with an edge, jack of all trades, good locker room guy with a sense of humor, and loves posting defense... but now he plays like he's on his last legs. Some nights he's great, but those nights when he just doesn't have it seem to be getting more common.

Feels like his next deal is the one that both parties will end up regretting.
tbirdspur2010
AG
I wanted Iggy badly back when he was coming out of Philly. Not as high on him now but he wouldn't be a bad get at all, even at this point
Guitarsoup
AG
All depends how much you have to overpay to get him away from GSW.

Remember that GSW has some tough choices this summer if Curry+Durant won't take a pay cut. They need to stay under the luxury tax. They didn't pay it this year, but they paid last year. Pay 3 of 4 and you pay repeater. So if they pay this year, they will likely pay next year and be on the hook for repeater. But if they get out of the luxury tax this year, the clock resets and they won't have repeater tax until 2022 at the earliest.
tbirdspur2010
AG
KD has already expressed willingness to take a pay cut. Not sure about Curry, though--he was criminally underpaid (in hindsight.....those ankle injury concerns his last contract year were legitimate).
Ulrich
Guitarsoup said:

Someone quoting r/NBA a couple pages ago.

Here is a thread from just two years ago.

Wiggins vs Kawhi. Overwhelming majority took Wiggins and downvoted anyone that voted Kawhi. Pretty hilarious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2v5sdh/interesting_question_would_you_rather_have_andrew/

Remember when Chandler Parsons was better than Kawhi?

Edit: now I'm second guessing myself. Was it Chandler Parsons or Parson Chandler?
tbirdspur2010
AG
That thread is amazing in hindsight.
Ag Natural
AG
A lot of love for Wiggens in that thread. I get some were still skeptical of Kawhi. It wasn't till this year that he was asked to become a true superstar. Meanwhile, Minnesota had to trade for Jimmy Butler because Wiggles hasn't take over like they thought he would. My only issue with their idiocy is some pretty sketchy logic. Up to that point, Wiggins had done nothing but put up empty stats on a bad team.
Guitarsoup
AG
And a lot more people learn some solid scoring moves or improve their shot. Not a lot of bad defenders come into the league and become elite defenders.
flashplayer
AG
If anything is going to happen with FA signing for the Spurs, do you think we hear about necessary trades before FA period or simultaneous to the announcement of the signing.
Enzo The Baker
AG
flashplayer said:

If anything is going to happen with FA signing for the Spurs, do you think we hear about necessary trades before FA period or simultaneous to the announcement of the signing.
I would hope that it's after the FA period begins. If the Spurs are trying to go after Paul, I think they would rather get a verbal commitment from him before they go around moving pieces (see the Aldridge signing a couple of years ago). It would be catastrophic if the Spurs trade Danny and LMA before the FA period and are forced to take a step back with only spare parts and cap space to show for it. The only trade that I think would happen before the deadline is something like an Aldridge for Paul George. That's not likely, though. The Celtics' offer will trump any of those anyone can offer for PG.
GatorAg03
AG
These things typically go down pretty close to each other. Teams have to both know that they have actionable deals in place to clear the cap space and they have to know a free agent is committed before you pull the trigger on the entire deal. Both items have to be in place. Occasionally you get a weird deal where you clear space in hopes of attracting attention or just to move a bad contract, but that typically isn't the case fro playoff contending teams.

This 4th of July weekend should see some fireworks. If we are sitting here a week from today with no real news then the Spurs are likely staying the course with no major free agent moves.
Pumpkinhead
AG
https://theringer.com/2017-nba-free-agency-san-antonio-spurs-plans-chris-paul-b9b9a0530ae7

Quote:

But if there's any weakness to Kawhi's game, it's playmaking. Leonard needs a partner at point guard and right now he's without anyone viable. Tony Parker is 35 and suffered a ruptured quad tendon which is as serious as it sounds. Charles Barkley's career ended at 36, with the same injury. Parker won't be back until midseason, and at that point you have to wonder what version returns, if he returns at all. At the least, the productive portion of Parker's career could be over. It's sad, but it's the truth and the Spurs must think about their other options. The only other point guards on San Antonio's roster are Dejounte Murray, who is still extremely raw despite showing positive signs as a rookie, and Derrick White, who the Spurs drafted just last week. Neither of them is exactly ready to carry the load deep into the playoffs.

That's why San Antonio's interest in CP3 makes sense. Paul is arguably the greatest point guard of this generation and it's easy to see him fitting into Gregg Popovich's system because, frankly, Paul could fit in anywhere. A four-year max deal (with a player option on the fourth year) for Paul could bridge the gap between the present and future. The Spurs could remain a title contender while also developing youth off the bench.

The problem is that Paul will be tremendously expensive, at roughly $150 million over four years. San Antonio's depth and cap flexibility would be crippled if they were to sign him. To add Paul at the max, they'd need to start by saying goodbye to Mills, Dedmon, and Simmons, plus trade Danny Green for picks or low-cost players. But if Gasol is re-signed and Milutinov comes over from Olympiacos, the plan gets even more convoluted. If Ginobili decides not to retire, it's nearly impossible.

Let's pretend for a moment that Ginobili retires; Mills, Dedmon, Lee, and Simmons sign elsewhere; Milutinov signs, rookies White and Jaron Blossomgame sign, and Gasol re-signs to a deal that'll pay him $8 million in 201718. This all feels fairly realistic, yes? Great. Under this scenario, the Spurs would then have roughly $12.3 million in cap space. Trading Green brings them to $21.5 million. They'd still be about $13 million short of having the cap space to offer Paul the max. To get there, they'd need to dump Aldridge or Parker. Sheesh.

With that cascade of numbers, the Paul plan starts sounding a lot less viable and more like a pipe dream. It's certainly still a possibility, but the amount of hoops to jump through and poles to limbo under quickly becomes overwhelming. There's an argument to be made that a stop-gap point guard like George Hill, Derrick Rose, or Jrue Holiday makes a hell of a lot more sense than moving heaven and earth to sign Paul. They'd all be cheaper and San Antonio could get to that price point far more easily without losing important role players like Simmons and Dedmon, too. According to the San Antonio Express-News, there's mutual interest between the Spurs and Hill, who "has long desired to reunite" in San Antonio. Now this seems realistic.

But we just went from talking about the Spurs chasing one of the greatest point guards ever, and then we're coming off the heels of them reportedly pushing for George. It seems extreme to go from those big fish to Hill, who seems more like a backup plan. There has to be another plan that isn't quite CP3 plus PG13, but also not as meh as Hill plus re-signing the core.

LawHall88
AG
So, what is Plan B?

LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Chris Paul joined a team he lost a 3-1 lead to.
West Texan
AG
I imagine plan B is signing one George Hill or Derrick Rose. Outside of that, I have no clue. I'm not sure what other big moves we could make and we're not going to give up Aldridge and Green for nothing.
Ag Natural
AG
That's pretty shocking. The Rox just made Harden an MVP contender by having him play the point. And Beverly is easily their most popular player.

Wow, a Harden and Paul duo is pretty salty.
GatorAg03
AG
Damn, Morey has never been accused of inaction. I'm amazed CP3 is going to Houston. I certainly don't see him as the missing link there with a ball dominant harden. They will be good maybe even on Spurs level for second in the west (see OKC with Westbrook and harden) bit I definitely don't think this puts them over the top.

Hopefully Murray develops and this turns into a Jason Kids/Tony Parker scenario for the Spurs.

I'm really curious to see what the Spurs do now. I can see it going a ton of different ways.
Ag Natural
AG
West Texan said:

I imagine plan B is signing one George Hill or Derrick Rose. Outside of that, I have no clue. I'm not sure what other big moves we could make and we're not going to give up Aldridge and Green for nothing.

What does everyone think of Rubio? Supposedly he's in the block as well. He's been a horrible shooter but actually improved a bit last season. Throw in Chip and maybe heven becomes the player everyone thought he would be.
Guitarsoup
AG
Quote:

Wow, a Harden and Paul duo is pretty salty floppy

GatorAg03
AG
Also shows how poorly LMA is thought of. I'm sure the Spurs would have gladly moved LMA, Green and a 1st for Paul....yet the Clips prefer Bev, Decker, Williams. Pretty eye opening on how much damaged goods LMA is currently.
Mike Elko
AG
I get the feeling we won't be making any significant moves this off-season...
LawHall88
AG
West Texan said:

Kinda what I was thinking - Plan B may be letting Mills walk, signing George Hill, Simmons, and replacements for Dedmon and Lee (who I think are gone regardless), bringing in Hanga and hoping for the best.

Parker's injury really creates problems. Spurs almost have to go get a PG to take his place, but still need to carry Parker's salary against the cap.
Guitarsoup
AG
GatorAg03 said:

Also shows how poorly LMA is thought of. I'm sure the Spurs would have gladly moved LMA, Green and a 1st for Paul....yet the Clips prefer Bev, Decker, Williams. Pretty eye opening on how much damaged goods LMA is currently.
It doesn't work that way. This was all about where Paul chose to go. He wanted to play with Harden. For this to work, he had to opt into his 2018 option.
DTP02
AG
I'm shocked. I didn't think it'd work out for us to get him because too much stuff had to line up right, but I'm shocked he went to the Rockets. It just doesn't seem like a good fit with Harden, but I guess there were only so many options.
GatorAg03
AG
I get that, but after Paul was rumored to be interested in the Spurs you don't think he would have signed an extension to go to San Antonio? Perhaps not, but I would think he would have.
Ag Natural
AG
GatorAg03 said:

You have no idea what the Spurs were willing to offer. Besides, why would the Clips trade their PG just to get a bunch of non-ball handlers?

This is also an indication of Pauls decreased value. The Rockets didn't give up a whole lot.
Guitarsoup
AG
GatorAg03 said:

I get that, but after Paul was rumored to be interested in the Spurs you don't think he would have signed an extension to go to San Antonio? Perhaps not, but I would think he would have.
Woj said Paul wanted to play with Harden. I guess that was the important factor for him.

Maybe he wants to try to put up 22/18 next year and Pringles said he would do it. Who knows.

But it was what Paul chose. Paul's very close with Parker, maybe he didn't want to **** all over Parker by taking his spot while Parker still wants to play four more seasons.
GatorAg03
AG
You are right, we have no idea. But Spurs we're rumored to be willing to move LMA for a top 10 pick and got zero takers and now CP3 was traded for a handful of beans while LMA was rumored to be available.

Who knows what was actually offered or discussed, or if it's just all rumors that LMA is being shopped, but from an outside look if the rumors.are to be believed it sure seems like his value isn't real high.
GatorAg03
AG
Yeah, who knows. I just find it interesting that the team Paul was rumored to be interested in and is rumored to he willing to move a top 20 player (LMA) wasn't given an opportunity to match that mediocre offer.
LawHall88
AG
GatorAg03 said:

You are right, we have no idea. But Spurs we're rumored to be willing to move LMA for a top 10 pick and got zero takers and now CP3 was traded for a handful of beans while LMA was rumored to be available.

Who knows what was actually offered or discussed, or if it's just all rumors that LMA is being shopped, but from an outside look if the rumors.are to be believed it sure seems like his value isn't real high.
Paul told the Clippers he was leaving for Houston. A "handful of beans" is better than nothing, and once Paul made up his mind the Rockets were the only feasible trade partner, so the Clippers got what they could.
GatorAg03
AG
Does anyone else find it hilarious that Paul couldn't get over his playoff hump, so he joins Mike Dantoni. Didn't exactly think that one through.
Mike Elko
AG
According to Jeff Goodman:

"Spurs didn't show significant interest in Chris Paul, source told ESPN. Already have an aging point guard in Tony Parker."
GatorAg03
AG
I love reading reports like this after the fact, despite the same guys saying he was priority #1 for months now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.