*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,171 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
GatorAg03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ruptured quad tendon and a ruptured Achilles are two terrible injuries. Spurs medical staff will earn their pay this year.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Gay showing LeBron what's up then finishes by postering Bosh.

Ulrich
31 year old inefficient volume shooter with terrible defense and a ruptured Achilles. Not a fan of this signing regardless of the price.
aggie_fan13
AG
not sure how to feel about this
flashplayer
AG
Ulrich said:

31 year old inefficient volume shooter with terrible defense and a ruptured Achilles. Not a fan of this signing regardless of the price.

Then tell us what else we were going to rake in for MLE $ ???

It's low risk for the spurs. It's basically a one year contract that incentivizes him to perform well this season. Not much to lose really, even if he sucks and ops in next summer. At that price he will be easy to trade away.

Edit-damn iPhone
duck79
AG
I just want to see the "Bryn Gay" pick and roll!!
flashplayer
AG
Calling it now. Lamarcus opts out next summer and agrees to re-sign. LeBron and DeAndre opt out and sign as free agents. Boom! New superteam
flashplayer
AG
duck79 said:

I just want to see the "Bryn Gay" pick and roll!!

Bring back Splitter and have the Gay-Splitter connection.
Mike Elko
AG
IF... IF he's healthy, me likely. And that's a huge IF.

Either way, SA got Gay.
Ulrich
flashplayer said:

Ulrich said:

It's low risk for the spurs. It's basically a one year contract that incentivizes him to perform well this season. Not much to lose really, even if he sucks and ops in next summer. At that price he will be easy to trade away.

Edit-damn iPhone

Off the top of my head, that money could have gotten Patrick Patterson, covered Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, or Avery Bradley in the picks for cap space deal the Celtics need, paid for most of Olynyk's contract, or who knows what else. It's not that getting Gay for 9mm is that bad, it's what they are giving up to do it.

I didn't like Gay before he was injured. His teams are always terrible and it's largely because of the bad example he sets.
flashplayer
AG
Bench won't play much D but damn could be fun to watch with the ball:

Patty
Manu
Juice?
Gay
Bertans / Stiff / Gasol
Guitarsoup
AG
Ulrich said:

flashplayer said:

Ulrich said:

Edit-damn iPhone

Off the top of my head, that money could have gotten Patrick Patterson, covered Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, or Avery Bradley in the picks for cap space deal the Celtics need, paid for most of Olynyk's contract, or who knows what else. It's not that getting Gay for 9mm is that bad, it's what they are giving up to do it.

I didn't like Gay before he was injured. His teams are always terrible and it's largely because of the bad example he sets.
Can't use the MLE for a S&T for draft picks like that.

Patterson would have fit our needs nicely, but he is less efficient than Gay. 6/4 player that hit 40% and 41% the last two years with the same 3FG% as Gay (37%.)

You can't use the full MLE for MOST OF KellyO's contract. You have the room or you don't and we didn't have the room. Spurs struck out on big targets, so they decided to keep the band together and add a MLE player. Gay's probably the best MLE player out there.

Spurs' aren't giving up Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder or KellyO to get Gay. They didn't have the resources for those players.

Last year in Sacramento, Gay shot 46%/37%/86%. TS% of 56%. PER of 17.9 and played 40% of his minutes at PF.
West Texan
AG
Ulrich said:

I wasn't a fan of a potential signing and I'm still super skeptical of how he'll fit in, but as already pointed out, we got him at a bargain price. If he thought his career was done, he wouldn't have opted out of the $14 mil he was due in Sacramento. We're going to basically bring back the same team and add Gay. Minimal risk.

Rudy posted this video on his twitter a few days back, so something is better than nothing as far as seeing no him move a little post injury.

ATM9000
AG
Ulrich said:

flashplayer said:

Ulrich said:

Edit-damn iPhone

Patterson does nothing for the Spurs. I think that guy is a ridiculous spare.

Gay is worth the risk IMO. Cheap deal, has some bad habits that maybe a good staff can correct... and if not, he's on a ridiculously traceable contract.
Iowaggie
AG
azulAg said:

not sure how to feel about this

This is how Grizzlies fans feel about seeing Pau and Rudy together again in the Black, While and Silver.

PLUM LOCO
AG
From the video he looks like he wants to play.

Good attitude.
flashplayer
AG
Most fans of other teams in the twitterverse seem to think the Spurs got a steal at that price. If he can be 75% of what he was, they'll be correct.
GatorAg03
AG
I don't mind this signing at the price as we had to try something, but the reason all that was left was the MLE, was due to Patty's contract. Which I think was the wrong decision at that price and along with Aldridge's nonsense had limited options this off-season.

Until we see it on the court for a sustained period of time, both Gay and Parker shouldn't be counted on for much. I think people underestimate the severity of those injuries. Very few players in NBA history have come back as good as before from such injuries. I have a good friend and college basketball player who tore his Achilles in his 20s and 15 years later his leg is still visibly smaller/weaker despite extensive rehab. Granted he isn't an NBA player but that injury is incredibly hard to come back from.

Gay will likely lose explosiveness and be mostly a jump shooter now and he never has been that efficient, shooting percentage wise.

If we had a bunch of play makers to include an elite PG to get looks for our spot up jump shooters: Green, Patty, Bertrans, LMA, Gasol and post injury Gay, then I would feel much better. As the current roster is constructed we have very few creators/playmakers and facilitators. 40 year old Manu is probably still our best.

Hopefully Simmons and Kawhi are working heavily on their pick and roll passing this off-season and we desperately need Murray to develop.
TyHolden
AG
Great pick up

flashplayer
AG
GatorAg03 said:

I don't mind this signing at the price as we had to try something, but the reason all that was left was the MLE, was due to Patty's contract. Which I think was the wrong decision at that price and along with Aldridge's nonsense had limited options this off-season.

I myself feel meh about Pattys contract, but since we have his bird rights your statement is incorrect. It's likely that Gasol's deal and bringing back Lee or Dedmon is what leaves us with only MLE money. Mills will be signed after any players that must use cap room.

There's no money left for anyone outside Simmons, Gasol, Manu, and maybe Lee/Dedmon/other middling stiff and minimum contracts
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

I don't mind this signing at the price as we had to try something, but the reason all that was left was the MLE, was due to Patty's contract.
Absolutely, positively, 100% false. Patty's contract didn't put the Spurs over the cap. The cap holds for Gasol+Manu did. Manu still hasn't decided and his cap hold is over $20mm.

Quote:

Gay will likely lose explosiveness and be mostly a jump shooter now and he never has been that efficient, shooting percentage wise.
If he puts up the same 46%/37%/86% that he put up last year, Spurs will be thrilled.

Quote:

Very few players in NBA history have come back as good as before from such injuries.
Most players that have torn their AT have been scrubs or players at the end of their career. Nique tore his at 32 (Gay is 30) and came back and averaged 30/7/3 the next year.
GatorAg03
AG
Ok. I'm certainly not a cap expert like you and will take your word for it. Just figured money was money when you said there was no room for Kelly O type contract, which is similar to what Patty got. I think a starting PG should have been top priority this off-season. Maybe we will sign D Rose and really keep our training staff on it's toes.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

. Just figured money was money when you said there was no room for Kelly O type contract, which is similar to what Patty got.
Patty is signed with Bird Rights. We didn't have Bird Rights for Kelly O. We are effectively over the cap while Gasol/Manu/Lee/Simmons/Dedmon decide what to do. So we either waive/sign those players or use the MLE, which was enough to get Gay, but not enough to get players like KellyO, Gordon Hayward, etc.
GatorAg03
AG
But the Spurs could have waived those players and made room for Kelly O type contract correct? Isn't that what they will have to do if they want to re-sign Simmons since they don't have his bird rights?
Ag Natural
AG
Gay was having the most efficient season of his career last year when he was injured. I don't think it was a coincidence that he played smarter when he had a better coach (Jaeger). If he has put in the work and is even close to the level he was then this is a great move. It's already very low risk at this price.
Guitarsoup
AG
GatorAg03 said:

But the Spurs could have waived those players and made room for Kelly O type contract correct? Isn't that what they will have to do if they want to re-sign Simmons since they don't have his bird rights?
They have early bird rights with Simmons.

Spurs would have had to waive a lot of players to make room, but it certainly isn't worth it for a 9/5 backup center like Kelly O. They would have done it if they could lure in a legit star like Gordon, Paul, George, etc. But they weren't willing to do it for the 18mm/year that George Hill needed cleared. Probably a smart move. George would have been a great fit on the team, but I think 18mm is a bit much for him.
Guitarsoup
AG
Low risk and Gay likely proves he is worthy this year and opts out next year for a better contract.

Spurs could have huge cap room next year.

Only players that are under contract and can't opt out next year are:
Kawhi
Patty
Murray
White
MookieBlaylock
AG
Spurs with their 2nd Gay player ever
Guitarsoup
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Spurs with their 2nd Gay player ever

Best Gay SF the Spurs have ever had by far.
GatorAg03
AG
I'm not advocating Kelly O as a difference maker. He isn't anything special, I was just pointing out that they could have moved on him or a similar sized contract if they really wanted to

I like the Gay signing at this price and length, I just wouldn't expect him to be the same player as pre-injury. I like him as a stretch 4.

If we bring back Simmons then PG is my only complaint. I would have definitely preferred Hill for about $16 million for 3 in tax free Texas vs Patty's $12.5 million for 4, but that ship has sailed and think Hill likely overestimated his market value and had to settle late so much of that is on him and not the Spurs.

Ulrich
I think what is going to end up happening is that we will pay Gay to rehab and play his way back into shape. With luck, he'll be healthy and in rhythm by the time the playoffs roll around. With a lot more luck, he'll limit himself to relatively intelligent shots. No amount of luck will result in good defense. If he gets healthy, he will opt out and go get paid somewhere else.

The outcome of this deal ranges from paying 17mm for someone to ride the pine to getting one year of all-star scoring for 8.5mm. The Spurs template is efficiency on offense, commitment to defense, and continuity. The upside of this deal is a one year rental of a volume shooter. No denying his talent, I'm just not sure this is a good gamble for the franchise.

My hope for this off-season was to acquire a seasoned point guard because that's what the Spurs are missing. Instead it looks like we're rolling the dice at a position where we already have an MVP candidate.
gibbs2016
So what's left? Can and would y'all like a Derrick Rose signing? Maybe Rondo?

Resign Simmons and do you want Gasol back? Or can we find better out there?

I'm guessing we will be shopping LMA and Green all year until trade deadline
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

I'm not advocating Kelly O as a difference maker. He isn't anything special, I was just pointing out that they could have moved on him or a similar sized contract if they really wanted to
They really couldn't without waiving the rights to several players. He isn't a difference maker, so you don't force Manu into retirement and/or trade Danny for him.

Quote:

If we bring back Simmons then PG is my only complaint. I would have definitely preferred Hill for about $16 million for 3 in tax free Texas vs Patty's $12.5 million for 4, but that ship has sailed and think Hill likely overestimated his market value and had to settle late so much of that is on him and not the Spurs.
Yeah, no question PG is a weak spot. I think Hill thought he would get in the 20-25 range. He wasn't signing with us for 16 and we would have had to make a lot of moves to fit him in there.
Guitarsoup
AG
gibbs2016 said:

So what's left? Can and would y'all like a Derrick Rose signing? Maybe Rondo?

Resign Simmons and do you want Gasol back? Or can we find better out there?

I'm guessing we will be shopping LMA and Green all year until trade deadline
Sign Gasol
Sign Manu
Sign Simmons
Sign Dedmon or Lee or unknown player with Room Exception
Sign Hanga

Gasol/Bertrans/Room Exception
LMA/Gay
Kawhi/Anderson/Hanga
Green/Simmons/White
Murray/Manu/Parker

Forbes cut
White spends a lot of time in Austin, especially after Parker comes back. Hanga may spend time there, too.

Unless Rose/Rondo want to sign for the Room Exception (3.2mm) we aren't signing them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.