*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,180 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Parker thinks he can play three more years.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Having CP3 without a good front court just doesn't make sense.

What great centers do we have to beat to win a title?

I think Paul would work great with LaMarcus. He'd have even more pressure taken off of him as the third fiddle. He could just focus on playing good defense and making wide open shots in his sweet spots.

All I am saying is we wouldn't really fully utilize Paul if we didn't have pick and pop/pick and role players. Without LMA we would currently have 0 of those players.

Edit:

I misread your question initially. In the west in the first or second round we might have to get through LAC (if they retain their size), NOLA, and Memphis. It's understandable to just look at GS but the Spurs could be outmatched without size in the first two rounds.
Guitarsoup
AG
Phoenix turned down Deandre Jordan for Tyson Chandler and #4.

Chris Paul is gone.
Guitarsoup
AG
Bertrans hit 46% of his midrange shots. That's pretty elite. 40% of his threes. He is assisted on 78% of his shots.

Kwahi hit 49% of his midrange shots. Absolutely elite. He could definitely set the pick, be ready for the pop or roll and finish strong.

LMA hit 42% of his mid-range - which is his career average. Assisted on 58% of his shots.

Defining midrange as 16-23 feet.

Blake Griffin hit 44% of his mid-range and was assisted on 50% of his shots.

Plus we don't know what ring chasers will come fill the role of Lee/Dedmon.

Luc Mbah a Moute? Solid defender at 6'8 230 and hit 39% of his threes last year.
Anthony Tolliver? 6'8 240, hit 41% from the corner and 39% from three.
Spencer Hawes? 7'1 and hit 35% of his threes. Somehow still in the league and has somehow made 45mm.
Kelly Olynyk? Would have no problem putting his foot under Durant's
Bogut? Get revenge on GSW after they dumped him? Career earnings over 117mm. Doesn't solve the pick and pop issue you have, but foreigner that plays defense seems to suit Pop.
Speights? 46% from mid-range the last two years.
Tiago? Come back home.
Enzo The Baker
AG
That's a lot of wear on Kawhi of if he constantly sets screens. He's big for his position but he isn't a wall. Bertans could work. He's not very wide though. And he gives up a lot of size on the other end. I think it's important to have multiple big screen setters who can rebound a play defense at the other end.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

Plus we don't know what ring chasers will come fill the role of Lee/Dedmon.

Luc Mbah a Moute? Solid defender at 6'8 230 and hit 39% of his threes last year.
Anthony Tolliver? 6'8 240, hit 41% from the corner and 39% from three.
Spencer Hawes? 7'1 and hit 35% of his threes. Somehow still in the league and has somehow made 45mm.
Kelly Olynyk? Would have no problem putting his foot under Durant's
Bogut? Get revenge on GSW after they dumped him? Career earnings over 117mm. Doesn't solve the pick and pop issue you have, but foreigner that plays defense seems to suit Pop.
Speights? 46% from mid-range the last two years.
Tiago? Come back home.
Most of those players on that list are undersized, too slow, or can't stay on a court due to injuries. Although I do like me some Kelly Olynyk. He would become a fan favorite.

Actually, Lee and Dedmon would fill that P&R roll really nicely with Paul. Maybe we can at least get one of those guys back. I would love to get Lee back personally.
Guitarsoup
AG
You tend not to get the cream of the crop when you are out of cap space.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I completely agree. I just think those guys would be better complement guys to a more skilled big man like Aldridge.

Also, the Spurs reportedly talked to NYC about Porzingis, which would lead me to believe that Aldridge is touchable.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Broussard said that he's heard from people that Paul wants out of LA.
GatorAg03
AG
The Gasol news has me thinking Paul is less likely. I just don't know how you pay Gasol a decent enough contract worth turning down one year 16 million and still have room for Paul. At a minimum Gasol is probably getting a 3 year 24 million dollar contract and probably closer to 3 year 30 million. This also eats up significant cap room for 2018.

The most basketball smart option would be to waive Parker and I just don't see the Spurs doing that.

I really hope the Gasol signing wasn't to free up cash to pay to keep the old band together (Mills, Simmons, Lee), but that seems the most likely to me right now. I sure hope I'm wrong, as I thought Paul was a coin flip and a real possibility at the beginning of the off-season.
jteagle
AG

Should be a holiday in San Antonio!
ToHntortoFsh
2008and1 said:

His girlfriend isn't named Delilah by chance??
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Broussard said that he's heard from people that Paul wants out of LA.
They wouldn't be shopping DeAndre Jordan if Chris Paul and Blake Griffin weren't leaving. It was time to blow that team up anyway. 6 years, 3 playoff series wins.
Guitarsoup
AG
If they are resigning Gasol, I feel like it means that George Hill is coming home.

But Gasol opting out and then resigning a longer, but less per year contract feels a lot like when we resigned Dick Jefferson.
GatorAg03
AG
My question is if there is already an agreed upon deal in place with Gasol or if it's variable based on what free agents want to come over? Can the Spurs simply walk away or are they committed and Gasol is definitely coming back? Details seem vague, but I can't imagine Gasol turning down 16 million without some guarantees.

I get the need for cap space this off-season to not bring back the same squad after GSW's dominance but Pau Gasol in an ever increasing small ball league taking up 8 figures of cap space until he is 40 years old sounds pretty awful.

Spurs desperately need to add someone positive with the space created out of this move or else I think it was a bad decision and very Dick Jefferson-esque.
aggieactor01
AG
The only advantage I can think of is that he is agreeing to retire before the contract is up so they can spread the hit out over a longer period of time. I don't know if that's even possible to back load a contract knowing he will retire and eventually get all the money just not today?

Otherwise it seems to me like we're getting the band back together. I agree with the article on Pounding the Rock that says basically this didn't really change as much as we all thought when we first heard it.

Hard not to think of this upcoming season as a possible wasted year of Kawhi though if that's the case.
Guitarsoup
AG
You can't technically have a deal in place.

See Kevin McHale and Joe Smith.
GatorAg03
AG
I get what you are saying, but there is no way Gasol walked away from a $16 million dollar option without some reasonable assurances.

Do you honestly think there is any chance he doesn't get re-signed for a deal worth more than the original 16 million over longer years?
Obi Wan Ginobili
GatorAg03 said:

I get what you are saying, but there is no way Gasol walked away from a $16 million dollar option without some reasonable assurances.

Do you honestly think there is any chance he doesn't get re-signed for a deal worth more than the original 16 million over longer years?

Don't forget that the Spurs could have promised Gasol a sweetheart/handshake type deal like they did with Manu. They had underpaid him for years, and when the opportunity to give him a big salary came up, they way overpaid. Many wasn't worth $14 million last year skill wise, but he was worth even more for having given the time flexibility.
Guitarsoup
AG
GatorAg03 said:

Likely? No.

Possible? Yes. Just ask DWade.

Wade opted out of a 2y42mm deal in 2014. Big summer of free agents. Bron to Cleveland, Howard to Houston and Wade got nothing. He thought he would get one more big max contract.

Wade settled for a 2y31mm contract.
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Two questions:

1. If Chris Paul doesn't come here but the Clippers implode, where does Paul end up?

2. What if we end up resigning Gasol for three years, keep Simmons and sign Georgie Hill. Successful summer?

Gasol/ #29
LMA/Bertrans
Kawhi/Anderson
Green/Simmons/Manu
Hill/Murray/Manu

Malcolm52
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Two questions:

1. If Chris Paul doesn't come here but the Clippers implode, where does Paul end up?

2. What if we end up resigning Gasol for three years, keep Simmons and sign Georgie Hill. Successful summer?

Gasol/ #29
LMA/Bertrans
Kawhi/Anderson
Green/Simmons/Manu
Hill/Murray/Manu

People would be let down not getting CP3 because of the superteam ear that we are in, but this would be a pretty stout squad.

Would need Green to get more consistent on his 3 point shot and for Simmons and Murray to continue their growth from a year ago. Would also need LMA to sack up and Hill to stay healthy...but this team would have a chance to compete, especially if Kawhi takes the next step to MVP of the league.
ToHntortoFsh
Guitarsoup said:

Two questions:

Gasol/ #29
LMA/Bertrans
Kawhi/Anderson
Green/Simmons/Manu
Hill/Murray/Manu

Parker?
Guitarsoup
AG
Should be Parker instead of Manu twice, even though Manu will contribute twice as much sa Parker next year.
2008and1
AG

False alarm
Enzo The Baker
AG
2008and1 said:

False alarm

Phew.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

Houston is going hard after Paul. Beverly is likely to be moved before the start of the season (which I love because Houston's really saying goodbye to any defense they have). But going to Houston doesn't make sense with a ball-dominant Harden. Plus, I don't see Paul dealing with Harden's crap. The only thing the Rockets have going for them is D'Antoni's system. But even that has proven it can only get you so far. I think bringing back Lowry or signing Millsap/Griffin is more likely for them (all targets of Houston).

Earlier there were also reports about Denver throwing in their hat into the ring for Paul.
flashplayer
AG
GatorAg03 said:

The Gasol news has me thinking Paul is less likely. I just don't know how you pay Gasol a decent enough contract worth turning down one year 16 million and still have room for Paul. At a minimum Gasol is probably getting a 3 year 24 million dollar contract and probably closer to 3 year 30 million. This also eats up significant cap room for 2018.

The most basketball smart option would be to waive Parker and I just don't see the Spurs doing that.

I really hope the Gasol signing wasn't to free up cash to pay to keep the old band together (Mills, Simmons, Lee), but that seems the most likely to me right now. I sure hope I'm wrong, as I thought Paul was a coin flip and a real possibility at the beginning of the off-season.

That still doesn't make sense, unless they want to bring back Dedmon, which also wouldn't make sense. They can go over the cap to re-sign both Mills and Simmons. Gasol did not need to opt out to help with that. Something else is going on. Even if the rumor about Green on the trading block is not true, they're looking to attempt to sign a starter as a FA this year.

The Spurs would gain nothing by signing Gasol to more years at a lower per year rate if they're just standing pat this year. That would just be counterproductive. You'd also let Gasol walk next summer or just renegotiate next summer if this was a long term play.
GatorAg03
AG
Rumors that Spurs are shopping Aldridge for a top 10 pick. Phoenix and Kings in play. Can't be good for his ego if this doesn't go through.

Parker, Green and LMA all could be gone....maybe RC Buford had a sock on this board.
TyHolden
AG
GatorAg03 said:

Rumors that Spurs are shopping Aldridge for a top 10 pick. Phoenix and Kings in play. Can't be good for his ego if this doesn't go through.

Parker, Green and LMA all could be gone....maybe RC Buford had a sock on this board.
he's top 10?
flashplayer
AG
I hate Aldridge and his panty waist postseasons just as much as the next Spurs fan, but give him up for a pick in the middle of the lottery seems like a huge gamble unless there are two free agents that you're bringing in near the max.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Where are these reports from? I find it hard to believe a team would give up a lottery pick for renting a declining Aldridge for a year. Unless the Spurs take on a terrible contract in return.
LawHall88
AG
LMA and the Spurs 1st round pick to SAC for the #5, flip the #5 and Green to N.Y. for Porzingis, sign Paul, win championships. Easy peasy...
aggie_fan13
AG
LawHall88 said:

LMA and the Spurs 1st round pick to SAC for the #5, flip the #5 and Green to N.Y. for Porzingis, sign Paul, win championships. Easy peasy...
Knicks would have to be having a stroke to trade porzingod, then again it is the Knicks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.