*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,057 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Mike Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Iowaggie said:

Joffrey?

https://giphy.com/gifs/shrug-joffrey-baratheon-game-of-thrones-1vAaDWLvujuCI
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

So which poor team over pays for Joffrey next year?
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
If history is an indicator, Detroit.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Iowaggie said:

The King is here?!
LawHall88
AG
Ag Natural said:

Looks like we have Dedmon's replacement
He is nowhere near the defender that Dedmon is:

Quote:

The Spurs have a history of getting the most out of limited role players, but I don't think Lauvergne is likely to help them much.

We can probably rule out the idea of Lauvergne being an NBA center. Somehow, he blocked just six shots in 980 minutes last season, including none in the 214 he played in Chicago.

That leaves Lauvergne trying to stretch the floor at power forward. He attempted almost 30 percent of his shots from downtown between the Bulls and the Oklahoma City Thunder last season, but made them at just a 33.7 percent clip, not really sufficient to keep defenders tied to him.

As a result of those limitations, Lauvergne rated 2.5 points per 100 possessions worse than league average in ESPN's real plus-minus (RPM) last season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19950098/nba-free-agency-2017-best-worst-moves-day-10
Ag Natural
AG
Well I meant roster replacement. Clearly they don't have the same skillset.

The thought by the end of the season was that Dedmon had earned some money with his play last season. We are still waiting to find out though. I did notice that he wasn't getting meaningful minutes in the playoffs. Pop DNP'd him after he got ejected against Houston. I don't know for sure if he was in the dog house but all signs point to that.
DTP02
AG
Iowaggie said:

I know nothing about this dude. What's he bring?

Reading the writeup above, he's not a shotblocker or much of a floor-stretcher, so is he a good positional defender at least?
flashplayer
AG
He's a pick and roll player by the looks of his film.
Ag Natural
AG
DTP02 said:

Iowaggie said:

I know nothing about this dude. What's he bring?

Reading the writeup above, he's not a shotblocker or much of a floor-stretcher, so is he a good positional defender at least?

It's a mystery. He is still pretty young, 25. Obviously the Spurs see something there. If I were a fringe big man I'd be begging to come here. The Spurs have made some average guys a lot of money.
GatorAg03
AG
He seems like more of a Lee replacement than a Dedmon replacement at first glance. He is young and has some ability on the pick and roll game, is a big body with some level of skill. He isn't efficient, but can shoot the 3 ball.

I'm sure the Spurs see him as the latest big to squeeze some solid play out of where others have failed. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of defense. Plenty of players all of a sudden become solid defenders as soon as they hit San Antonio. I like that he has some connections to Bertrans and probably Parker so if he can flourish anywhere it is here.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Agreed.
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs see a warm body that struggles with English.
flashplayer
AG
That or the Spurs remember that Bron likes to win his rings with a goofy white scrub playing center.
Ag Natural
AG
Caruso has a monster game tonight with both Lonzo Ball and Josh Hart out. Alex is such a great ball player. He has some elite talents that you simply cannot teach. Unfortunately he's been deficient in a couple areas especially shooting. Still, a guy like Rubio gets a chance to develop as a starter while Alex has to battle to get a shot to ride the bench. It's crazy how it works sometimes.

Maybe after this summer league performance he'll get a chance. I personally would trade a few Spurs for Alex right now. That kid plays the Spurs way through and through and always has.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Alex is such a great ball player. He has some elite talents that you simply cannot teach. Unfortunately he's been deficient in a couple areas especially shooting.
Last year in D League:
FG: 46%
3FG: 40%
FT: 75%
TS: 57%
eFG: 53%

Averaged 12p/5a/4r and 2.2 steals. Straight baller.
Ag Natural
AG
Yep he's worked his tail off to become a decent jump shooter. With his playmaking and defensive instincts I can't see how he's not worthy of a roster spot somewhere. Reputation is so hard to overcome.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Ag Natural said:

Yep he's worked his tail off to become a decent jump shooter. With his playmaking and defensive instincts I can't see how he's not worthy of a roster spot somewhere. Reputation is so hard to overcome.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/7/10/15950836/la-lakers-score-final-recap-las-vegas-summer-league-sacramento-king-alex-caruso

Alex Caruso has a little bit of Manu Ginobli in his game IMO. I think Spurs fans would be cool with him.

He definitely balled out last night for Lakers while Lonzo Ball and his dad pulled a groin injury excuse to avoid DeAaron Fox making Ball his bitc# again last night.

Hopefully somebody at least gives Alex a next step chance on a fall practice squad contract.
ToHntortoFsh
What's the deal with Caruso, why isn't he on a team already?
flashplayer
AG
The stigma of white Americans in the NBA maybe?

He's not foreign so he's automatically disqualified by the Spurs. Tell him to play with Toronto or Baskonia in Europe and maybe the Spurs will consider him.
GatorAg03
AG
How many white PGs that don't shoot that well do you see in the NBA? Add in he is a 4 year player and was a bit turnover prone and teams were skeptical of his ceiling. He is way more athletic than people give him credit for and has good size for a PG and has good court vision, so if he keeps working on his shot (which has improved greatly), and is given a real chance (hopefully this overnight hype is his ticket), I can see him making a squad.

Spurs, utah, Miami, GSW or Boston would be the type of teams he would do very well on, teams that run a coherant structured offense, where the open man takes the shot. With the Spurs PG unknowns, I would love to get a pass first PG like Caruso. Doubt it happens though.
LawHall88
AG
Spurs still need to sign another big, so I don't see room for Caruso on the roster. Hopefully his summer league play will encourage some NBA team to give him a chance.
GatorAg03
AG
I agree. No way the Sours look his way this year. Parker, Murray, White, Mills, Forbes is way too much as is at the PG position. Problem is almost all those players are shoot first/hybrid 2 guard types outside of injured TP.

If TP doesn't round back into form, I see old man Manu being played way more than he thought come playoffs.
Guitarsoup
AG
GatorAg03
AG
What's the rule on summer league players? I assume for players not under contract, that the teams they play summer league for has first option on them, but at some point the rest of the league can poach from other teams? Does anyone know how this works?

With all the Spurs coaches out in Vegas to watch Summer League, I wonder if they are looking for an overlooked player or two to possibly be the next Green or Simmons.

This might be the next bastion of overlooked talent since Europe and international Spurs advantage has somewhat dried up over the last few years. Not too many TPs and Manus slipping through the cracks any more.
Ag Natural
AG
ToHntortoFsh said:

What's the deal with Caruso, why isn't he on a team already?

Alex wasnt a pure PG in college and didn't shoot well enough to be an NBA SG. It looks like he's embraced that PG role and really improved his ball security. I bet he gets a shot.
tbirdspur2010
AG
flashplayer said:

The stigma of white Americans in the NBA maybe?

He's not foreign so he's automatically disqualified by the Spurs.

We just had David Lee on the roster....
flashplayer
AG
Yeah I know. I wasn't being serious.
Pumpkinhead
AG
GatorAg03 said:

What's the rule on summer league players? I assume for players not under contract, that the teams they play summer league for has first option on them, but at some point the rest of the league can poach from other teams? Does anyone know how this works?

With all the Spurs coaches out in Vegas to watch Summer League, I wonder if they are looking for an overlooked player or two to possibly be the next Green or Simmons.

This might be the next bastion of overlooked talent since Europe and international Spurs advantage has somewhat dried up over the last few years. Not too many TPs and Manus slipping through the cracks any more.
I found this a good read regarding how tough it is for a guy like Caruso to make an NBA team as a non-guaranteed player, a bunch of details on the ins and outs. If he was only to get a training camp invite from somebody, he'd have beaten tremendous odds.

http://hoopshype.com/2015/08/02/the-life-of-the-non-guaranteed-player/
Guitarsoup
AG
Putting here so I can listen later:

Ag Natural
AG
Forbes with 35 today. White and Murray didn't play. I tell you what, this guy has won me over. Yeah it's just summer league but if it were really easy it would be happening all the time.
GatorAg03
AG
He reminds me alot of Mills. Short two guard whose best position in the NBA is PG. He is a very good shooter but might not be quick or tall enough to get his own shot and doesn't have the ball skills or creativity of a true point. Also will likely be a minus defender his whole career.

I hope he breaks out in a big way next season but to even make the roster may be tough unless you send White or Murray down for the year (which wouldn't be the worst idea in the world based on summer league this far). I was all for letting Mills walk and letting Forbes or White grow into that roll with a more experienced proven veteran PG, but Spurs saw it different. I'm definitely interested to see what the Spurs do with him.
DTP02
AG
I think you have to give Murray some significant minutes for a good chunk of the season just to see what you think you might have. We need to know going into next season whether he's a big part of the PG answer or not going forward. I don't know that we get that kind of read on him if he's playing in Austin all year.
GatorAg03
AG
I tend to agree. You would hope Murray would start showing a bit more consistency soon though. If he can't make his jump shot somewhat relevant he won't be effective. It took Tony a while on that front though so here is to hoping.
GatorAg03
AG
Murray, Mills, Parker
Green, Simmons, Manu, Forbes or White
Leonard, Gay, Bertrans
LMA, Anderson, (Lee or FA)
Gasol, Lauvergne

I think you have to add one more big so I don't see how both White and Forbes make the squad unless Spurs will be playing much more small ball, which may very well be the plan.

tbirdspur2010
AG
Yeah Frenchie McWonderbutt's jumper didn't come on until like 06-07.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.