*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,191 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
superunknown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

r/NBA is DumbAF.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of the ****posts like asking if LeBron would still be the best player if he had to wear sandals.
atm0812
AG
Danny Green making 10 million when the salary cap is 100 million is not ridiculous. He's a great defender who spaces the floor because he's a legit threat from 3.

If we can trade him for other pieces that help us win a title, great. But in no way is he overpaid when you look at the market values across the league right now.
Ag Natural
AG
Agreed. Danny is not overpaid at this point. That is why he could be an attractive trade piece.
flashplayer
AG
Murray is also a valuable asset, though I doubt they consider trading him. But he could definitely put a trade over the top.
2008and1
AG
flashplayer
AG
They stumped me at "Can Kawhi get buckets on Kawhi?"
Cappo
AG
Kawhi vs Kawhi...
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

What Is Popovich Cooking Up?

San Antonio has turned itself into a free-agency and trade player over the past three seasons after years of being the Green Bay Packers of the NBA. The Spurs signed LaMarcus Aldridge in a bidding war, got a meeting with Kevin Durant, and are now linked with Chris Paul and Paul George. Rumors are rumors, but the message is clear: Gregg Popovich is not wasting Kawhi Leonard's prime by waiting for the Warriors to cycle down. He's attempting to load up.

"We're happy with the group we have," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said on draft night. "If we can make it better, we'll do it, at any opportunity we can." The Spurs made only two picks on draft night, but they were busy working the phones. Wojnarowski reported that Pau Gasol planned to opt out of his $16.2 million contract and instead work on a longer-term deal; later, the Spurs reportedly dangled Danny Green in trade talks with the Cavs. While all this was going on, Aldridge was being shopped for a top-10 pick. If we're connecting the dots to Stein's report that the Spurs were "aggressively" pursuing George, then it's possible they were attempting to do the same thing the Cavs want to do: get an asset they can flip for George.

Unlike the Cavs, the Spurs also can create a significant amount of cap space to do more in the free-agent market. Clearing Aldridge from the books would give them enough room to sign Paul to a max contract. Trading Green and Tony Parker as painful as it'd be would allow them to pursue a second max player, like Hayward or Griffin. The Spurs can position themselves to be nearly as flexible as the Celtics if they take extreme measures. It's unclear if they're even interested in Hayward or Griffin, but if they're pushing for George and/or Paul, one can deduce that they may also fancy other available superstars.

The Warriors are a juggernaut. The rest of the NBA needs to think bigger and aim higher when team-building. The Spurs have always valued continuity when making personnel decisions, but drastic times call for drastic measures. The Spurs are up to something big. They're not sitting around and waiting for Golden State to fade away.
https://theringer.com/nba-free-agency-blake-griffin-paul-george-spurs-83e7a97d1cf0
GatorAg03
AG
In a perfect world we sign CP3 and then trade LMA for Paul George (and try to get him to re-up). If he doesn't you are no further behind than with LMA, who would likely opt out anyway.

Sign Simmons to a roughly 10 mil per season deal, trade Green if needed.

Try to find a serviceable big to spell Gasol and play against big teams (easier said than done). Dedmon might even work hear depending on asking price.

Gasol, Multinov (Another more athletic big)
George, Bertrans, Anderson
Leonard, Hanga,
Simmons, Manu, White, (Another cheap shooter)
CP3, Murray

I can see this competing somewhat favorably against GS. Better than anyone else. It can play pretty solid defense. I worry about Gasol's defense but can go small ball when needed.

Simmons, Hanga, Anderson, Murray need to be shooting a ton of threes a day as this team needs more outside shooting.
GatorAg03
AG
Danny Green was named second team all-defense. Maybe it will up his trade value!
flashplayer
AG
GatorAg03 said:

In a perfect world we sign CP3 and then trade LMA for Paul George (and try to get him to re-up). If he doesn't you are no further behind than with LMA, who would likely opt out anyway.

Sign Simmons to a roughly 10 mil per season deal, trade Green if needed.

Try to find a serviceable big to spell Gasol and play against big teams (easier said than done). Dedmon might even work hear depending on asking price.

Gasol, Multinov (Another more athletic big)
George, Bertrans, Anderson
Leonard, Hanga,
Simmons, Manu, White, (Another cheap shooter)
CP3, Murray

I can see this competing somewhat favorably against GS. Better than anyone else. It can play pretty solid defense. I worry about Gasol's defense but can go small ball when needed.

Simmons, Hanga, Anderson, Murray need to be shooting a ton of threes a day as this team needs more outside shooting.

Agree this would be perfect scenario.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Apparently the Spurs really wanted to draft Tony Bradley out of UNC with the 29th pick. The Jazz knew this, so they acquired the Lakers' 28th pick so he wouldn't fall to the Spurs.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Friggin' mormons.
DTP02
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Apparently the Spurs really wanted to draft Tony Bradley out of UNC with the 29th pick. The Jazz knew this, so they acquired the Lakers' 28th pick so he wouldn't fall to the Spurs.
Would have liked that pick more. Bradley is a kid you're probably getting at his lowest. He was really productive on a per minute basis, but didn't get that much opportunity in a loaded UNC frontcourt. He probably left a year too soon or he'd be a lottery pick.

I don't hate the White pick, by comparison, it's just that he's probably a low-ceiling glue guy on your second unit at best.
Obi Wan Ginobili
GatorAg03 said:

Danny Green was named second team all-defense. Maybe it will up his trade value!
Maybe it will help some of these so called "fans" realize he's a steal at $10 million per season. 2nd team defense and above league average 3 point shooting.

But ya, lets be desperate to move the exact kind of player you need to compete with the Warriors.
GatorAg03
AG
$10 million was fair for Green at the time and is a little below market value, but he certainly isn't a difference maker and his shooting has declined since he signed his contract. He is a solid role player, but also one of the few moveable assets on the team and smartly the Spurs are making him available.

There is nothing about his game that says he is the exact type of player needed to beat the warriors. That is a laughable statement. He made no difference at all in slowing down his opponent in the WCF as exhibit A. Simmons had much more of a defensive impact in the playoffs than Green did. He benefits greatly from Kawhi (and Duncan before that) being all world defense as well, which somehow gets overlooked on here.

I'm fine if the Spurs ship him or keep him, he is decent on defense and is a 37% 3pt shooting with zero other offensive game. An ok but limited player.

You are the same person that said LMA was doing great for the Spurs and right on track until about a week ago.
Ag Natural
AG
Green's defense has been pretty exceptional for several years now. The Spurs clearly value that and you could easily make the arguement that great defense is the way to beat the Warriors. Obviously if you can plug in another great defender who is also more dynamic offense then you do it.
Ulrich
Green isn't the greatest lockdown on-ball defender of all time, but he plays exceptional position defense. He's always funneling his man to the right place, closing out, playing the screen right, and showing help. And he is the best in the NBA at preventing a score in a 2-on-1 fast break... whether he's on offense or defense.
Guitarsoup
AG
Green is the only guard in the NBA with 50 blocks and 50 steals in each of the past 5 seasons. He is 4 blocks from doing it five straight seasons.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Green is the only guard in the NBA with 50 blocks and 50 steals in each of the past 5 seasons. He is 4 blocks from doing it five straight seasons.

Verde is perpetually underrated tbh.
GatorAg03
AG
But he is also been declining slightly on his 3 ball the last couple years and has a solid moveable contract. Plus he is about to hit 30. His value will only decline. His offensive game isn't dynamic enough to be on the court against the Warriors. If the Spurs upgrade with a number 2 scorer then he would have more value, but that seems unlikely without moving Green.

I'm fine keeping him as a 3 and D role player if we can do that and get a number 2 scorer. But if it is him or Simmons I take Simmons (who played better defense during the playoffs and who has the more dynamic offensive game and is younger and likely cheaper).

Again, he is a solid role player with a slightly undervalued contract. The exact type of player that looks better in the Spurs system and who you might get better value in return in a trade.
GatorAg03
AG
I find it funny that y'all keep saying he is under- rated. Under-rated by who? He just got all-NBA defense, Spurs front office has started and liked him for years and he was a big part of a championship and other NBA teams are interested in him. Who is under-rating him?

I think everyone fully understands his value and limitations including the Spurs front office who is dangling him for a trade.

He is much more valuable in a dynamic offense with scorers that allows him to he a 3 and D guy and alot less valuable in the more iso heavy sets we have ran since LMA has been here.
Guitarsoup
AG
Simmons hit 38% from three his rookie season, but only 30% last year. If Chip can get Simmons to be a 38-42% shooter, he is significantly better than Green.
GatorAg03
AG
Yep, that's the first question. Also what kind of crazy contract will someone throw at him during the off-season. Simmons was legitimately the Spurs best player in the WCF (not that that's saying much).

It likely comes down to Green or Simmons not Green and Simmons. I think you role with Simmons if it's an either or scenario and hope he can up his 3pt percentage, especially if the money is about the same. His defense in the playoffs was much better than Green which was pretty eye opening, especially once Kawhi went down.
Guitarsoup
AG
Green and Simmons play different types of defense. Simmons is much more physical, which is very good in some situations, like playing against guys like Curry, Durant and Klay that don't particularly like being played physically. Green is less physical, but still a tremendous defender. He plays the PnR well, funnels players and does all the little things. Green is less likely to make mistakes out there on D.
Ag Natural
AG
Green also passes the ball.

It will interesting to see what Roberson gets. He is a worse shooter and maybe slightly better as an overall defender. If he gets a nice contract then you'd have to believe Green on his deal will have a lot of value.
GatorAg03
AG
I agree with that. Green is more of a system defender, while Simmons is better man to man. I think against the Warriors, Simmons style is more valuable, but I can see both arguments.

My big concern with Simmons other than his 3pt shooting is how good is he if he doesn't get the ball in his hands as much as he did in the playoffs. Is he smart enough for Pop and his system?

Another consideration is Green just turned 30. He likely has 2 years left as a top defender and then he will likely slip a little. Going younger and developing Simmons might be a better play.

Like I said above if you can get CP3 and another scorer and are in win now mode then Green makes more sense(but you likely can't afford him). If you are in a mini-rebuild, financials are a concern or you want longer stability then I think you go with Simmons.
tbirdspur2010
AG
GatorAg03 said:

I find it funny that y'all keep saying he is under- rated. Under-rated by who? He just got all-NBA defense, Spurs front office has started and liked him for years and he was a big part of a championship and other NBA teams are interested in him. Who is under-rating him?

The majority of fans. Including a vocal, sizable segment of Spurs fans.

I'm NOT saying SA isn't smart to dangle him as trade bait at this juncture, but people saying he isn't the caliber of player useful on the floor vs. GSW? FOH lol
Guitarsoup
AG
The reason Green is a marketable trade piece is because he has a reasonable salary and contributes a lot.
Obi Wan Ginobili
GatorAg03 said:

$10 million was fair for Green at the time and is a little below market value, but he certainly isn't a difference maker and his shooting has declined since he signed his contract. He is a solid role player, but also one of the few moveable assets on the team and smartly the Spurs are making him available.

There is nothing about his game that says he is the exact type of player needed to beat the warriors. That is a laughable statement. He made no difference at all in slowing down his opponent in the WCF as exhibit A. Simmons had much more of a defensive impact in the playoffs than Green did. He benefits greatly from Kawhi (and Duncan before that) being all world defense as well, which somehow gets overlooked on here.

I'm fine if the Spurs ship him or keep him, he is decent on defense and is a 37% 3pt shooting with zero other offensive game. An ok but limited player.

You are the same person that said LMA was doing great for the Spurs and right on track until about a week ago.
Go find a single quote were I said "LMA was doing great". Seriously, go do it. You just make so much stupid **** up, prove it one time. I said LMA isn't the "worse signing the Spurs have ever made", which are your exact words.

You lose all credibility when you say **** like he is "decent on defense". Dude just got All-NBA second team, but he's only decent? Did he **** your sister in the ass and then make her ride a bike home? Why the hate?
Obi Wan Ginobili
GatorAg03 said:

I think everyone fully understands his value and limitations including the Spurs front office who is dangling him for a trade.

He is much more valuable in a dynamic offense with scorers that allows him to he a 3 and D guy and alot less valuable in the more iso heavy sets we have ran since LMA has been here.
YOU ARE UNDERRATING HIM EVERY TIME YOU SAY HE IS OVERPAID AND ONLY A "DECENT" DEFENDER.

Are you drunk? Is this the twilight zone?
tbirdspur2010
AG
Preach, Obi Wan.

Preach.
Obi Wan Ginobili
tbirdspur2010 said:

Preach, Obi Wan.

Preach.
My boys Gator and Azul just won't STFU with this stupidity.

Then they get called out on it, so they make stuff up. This is the kind of argument you expect to have with Rockets fans or Simplebay.
GatorAg03
AG
Wow, calm down there champ and to compare me with Azul. Talk about over-reacting.

LMA was a smart move at the time but has proven to be a terrible signing. Is he the worst ever? Perhaps, perhaps not but it certainly hasn't worked out well.

Green is a good system defender and a decent one on one defender. He also benefits greatly by playing in the Spurs system and by having with Duncan and Leonard.

You are arguing over semantics and word usage. Both LMA and Green are on the trade block for a reason. They both have deficits that can be possibly upgraded to make the Spurs better.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

tbirdspur2010 said:

Preach, Obi Wan.

Preach.
My boys Gator and Azul just won't STFU with this stupidity.

Then they get called out on it, so they make stuff up. This is the kind of argument you expect to have with Rockets fans or Simplebay.

You should get a load om the rockets fan on Tigerdroppings' More Sports Board one of these days. Dude is a trip!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.