*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,078 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow. I hope we don't sign him. I'd rather have hill. But maybe the Spurs have gotten confirmation that Manu isn't coming back.
Enzo The Baker
AG

Summer League roster.

No Hanga.
tbirdspur2010
AG
I wanted Iggy badly when he was coming out of Philly, but not at this stage in his career.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Wow. I hope we don't sign him. I'd rather have hill. But maybe the Spurs have gotten confirmation that Manu isn't coming back.

If Manu retires I'd be ok with Iggy. I think we're getting Hill either way.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think it's an either or thing. I think the Spurs struck out on Paul George and don't want to try for Griffin because signing him to $100mm may be the same as the Knicks signing Amare to $100mm so you do the best with what you have.

Get George Hill
Get Iggy
Get backup big
Resign Gasol
Resign Simmons
Keep shopping LMA

Gasol/Big FA
LMA/Bertrans
Kahwi/Iggy/Anderson
Green/Simmons/Manu/White to Austin
Hill/Murray/Parker

Now we have five great wing defenders, a legit starting pg, guys that can run the second team offense

It isn't a home run, but it is an upgrade over last year when we had the best team on the ropes until they injured our best player. And we also weaken the depth of the best team in the league by talking their best bench player
Enzo The Baker
AG
If that's the case, the money doesn't add up. Green and some other pieces would have to be moved if both of those guys want their market value.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

If that's the case, the money doesn't add up. Green and some other pieces would have to be moved if both of those guys want their market value.
You don't know their market value.
Ulrich
Iguodala is still valuable at the right price, you just don't want to tie up a ton of cap space in a guy who could fade really badly. Statistically, he can do more than he has been doing in Golden State.

He wants a front office job after he retires, so it wouldn't surprise me if he took a Spurs-friendly deal just to get a couple years in the spurs organization with a reduced role that doesn't take as much of a toll on his body.
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs going to meet with Rudy Gay, too. Doesn't seem like a Spurs-type player. Volume scorer, weak defender.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

If Iggy and Hill get offers less than $15 million each year, I'd be really surprised. And we still don't know what Pau's contract is going to look like.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Spurs going to meet with Rudy Gay, too. Doesn't seem like a Spurs-type player. Volume scorer, weak defender.
I'd much rather have Iggy than Gay, but maybe we could get Gay for more of a bargain.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

If Iggy and Hill get offers less than $15 million each year, I'd be really surprised. And we still don't know what Pau's contract is going to look like.
I don't think Iggy is going to get anywhere near 15mm. Not sure he even gets the MLE. He's 34 and has played almost 1200 NBA games. As many have said, he wants to be a front office guy, so he might take a discount to play in SA for a couple years with the understanding that he has a front office job ready for him when he hangs them up.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I hope that's the case. I just look at what Gasol got last year and figure a finals MVP could at least get something in the same ball park. But maybe it's a different market for the SF position.
Guitarsoup
AG
Gasol put up 19/12/2 and 17/11/2 in the two seasons before he signed that contract.

Iggy has put up 7/4/3 and 8/4/3 over the last two years.
Enzo The Baker
AG
From NBC Sports

Quote:

And the Spurs have it, a little more than $15 million under the cap that they could offer to Iguodala. The Warriors were rumored to be looking to spend between $10 million and $12 million.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

In reply to Enzo The Baker
Gasol put up 19/12/2 and 17/11/2 in the two seasons before he signed that contract.

Iggy has put up 7/4/3 and 8/4/3 over the last two years.

When you compare Gasol's teammates in Chicago to Iggy's in GS, I don't think the stats mean as much. Gasol had to take more of the load in Chicago.
Guitarsoup
AG
Iggy isn't worth near 10-12 at this point in his career. Big Pass. Rather have Green.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Same here.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Iggy isn't worth near 10-12 at this point in his career. Big Pass. Rather have Green.

It's gotta be about weakening the warriors in some way imo. Otherwise there's no real incentive to replace Green with Iggy.
West Texan
AG
And as a pipe dream scenario, let's say Hayward stays in Utah. Boston has been using Hayward as an incentive to try and get Paul George to sign a long term deal there. But if Hayward isn't there, I can't see the celtics giving up all those picks for a one year rental of George. With the biggest player out of the way, perhaps it could possibly open talks for swapping LMA for Paul George.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea I think that definitely goes into it. But he was pretty set on returning to GS after the championship. If he likes his situation there that much I find it really hard to believe he would leave just over a couple of million, especially when Durant is taking a small pay cut too.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Indiana doesn't want vets. They want multiple draft picks and young players. If we offer Murray along with LMA it might entice them a little, but I don't think that would even be enough. Their asking price is beyond what the Spurs can offer.
Guitarsoup
AG
Curry will likely get the max - starting at ~34mm. But he only counts 18.1 against the cap until he signs so they have to sign everyone else first.

Durant counts 31mm and could sign for the same 34mm deal.

Iggy counts 17mm against the cap and Livingston counts 10mm.

They have just 38mm against the 99 salary cap. Waiving everyone but Curry/Durant/Iggy/Livingston and the 5 guys under contract and the holds are 114mm. They are likely working on a 119 hard cap to avoid the luxury tax so the counter resets on the repeater.

So 38+Durant at 32mm = 70mm + holds of 18+17+10 = still way over the cap. Get Livingston to agree to 8mm and is 12mm is right for Iggy, then you are at 90mm and now over the cap with Curry's 18mm hold. They only have vet mins and the 5mm tax payer exception. Add Curry's 34mm to that 90 and you are at 124 and blew past the luxury tax with only 9 players on the roster.

I don't think GSW keeps Iggy, I think Livingston stays and they are still hamstrung on spending.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Indiana doesn't want vets. They want multiple draft picks and young players. If we offer Murray along with LMA it might entice them a little, but I don't think that would even be enough. Their asking price is beyond what the Spurs can offer.
The problem is their asking price is beyond what anyone will offer.

I would love if Boston needs to clear a little room to dump Kyle for Avery Bradley rather than chasing Iggy. Keep Green or not, Bradley would be an upgrade over Green, just doesn't have the length to guard guys like Durant like Green does.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I just don't want George to go to Houston.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Something is better than nothing. Boston is the only team that can offer the kind of deal Indiana really wants. But if they think they're only getting him for a year, then I don't see them giving up all those assets. Then it comes down to do they take something rather than just losing him in free agency. LMA + first rounder + something else, and who knows maybe they'll bite.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Iggy is also meeting with the Kings after he meets with the Spurs. They could offer him the world.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I don't think Houston has anything to offer Indiana to even attempt to make a reasonable deal.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

The problem is their asking price is beyond what anyone will offer.

I would love if Boston needs to clear a little room to dump Kyle for Avery Bradley rather than chasing Iggy. Keep Green or not, Bradley would be an upgrade over Green, just doesn't have the length to guard guys like Durant like Green does.

Avery Bradley in this lineup gives me all kinds of warm feelings.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Iggy is also meeting with the Kings after he meets with the Spurs. They could offer him the world.

I don't see Iggy as a guy looking for a huge pay day. He cares about winning and took a lesser role willingly when he went to GS. He may not sign with us, but I'd bet a lot of money he doesn't end up a king.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I don't think Houston has anything to offer Indiana to even attempt to make a reasonable deal.

If the Celtics thing does fall through I think that Gordon (contract length) + Ariza? could be more attractive than LMA (likely one year) plus a 28th to 30th first round pick.

But if it comes to that, why not just trade with LAL?
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Houston offered two firsts and Ryan Anderson for a top 55 protect second and got turned down. Houston had nothing Indy wants and no cap room to play with.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ryan34
AG
Agreed that Houston doesn't much of anything Indiana would want, but Indiana's problem is that no one is willing to give up too much for a guy who may be a 1 year rental. Indiana is going to have a really hard time getting "fair" offers.
Ag Natural
AG
Wow. I can't wait to see what the package is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.