*****Spurs 2017 Offseason Thread*****

181,165 Views | 1963 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
tbirdspur2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MY BOY GINOBILIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike Elko
AG
One more year, Manu... After that, you seriously need to retire (along with Tony).
Guitarsoup
AG
Manu can play as long as he wants. He's a damn national treasure.

Manu nutmegging the seconds best SG since Jordan retired.

West Texan
AG

Obligatory
aggie_fan13
AG
His last year, definitely going to a game this season
Ulrich
Manu has more plays that I still don't know how they worked than any other player. It's like trying to figure out how a magician does his tricks when the magic is real.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thank you for posting these. They never get old. MANNNNUUUUU!!!!!
Guitarsoup
AG
Ulrich said:

Manu has more plays that I still don't know how they worked than any other player. It's like trying to figure out how a magician does his tricks when the magic is real.

Is bounce pass through a defender's legs while the defender has his back turned and is running to the Baseline is still the most ridiculous past he's thrown in my opinion.
Ulrich
Guitarsoup said:

Ulrich said:

Is bounce pass through a defender's legs while the defender has his back turned and is running to the Baseline is still the most ridiculous past he's thrown in my opinion.

I'm kind of partial to the one where he's sprinting on the fast break, catches the pass as he goes under the backboard, and flips it straight behind him between two defenders to Dejuan Blair for the dunk as he goes out of bounds. Can't find the gif.
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown
AG
After Manu and TP retire next season i want them to go pick up Timmy and show up at some random Big3 game and be all "yo...we got next."
Ulrich
I forgot that he created the steal and that it was a Richard Jefferson (of course) who threw the first dumbass pass that should have made it a turnover.
flashplayer
AG
Only Manu would have the balls to throw it through someone's legs (Who isn't even to that spot yet, by the way) in game 1 of the finals.

Cannot even imagine what it's like to practice with that guy.
Guitarsoup
AG
flashplayer said:

Only Manu would have the balls to throw it through someone's legs (Who isn't even to that spot yet, by the way) in game 1 of the finals.

And he throws it with english to bounce up in the right spot of the receiver.

tbirdspur2010
AG
Dude is straight magic. No two ways about it.

His game makes my heart sing.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think any other player that has ever played the game has a more dynamic highlight reel of assists. No one. Manu = GOAT
tbirdspur2010
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I don't think any other player that has ever played the game has a more dynamic highlight reel of assists. No one. Manu = GOAT

He started playing for SA when I was a teen. I had never witnessed a player that could make a pass or hustle play even more exciting than his dunks. He is the embodiment of everything I love about the beautiful game of basketball, even right down to his flaws. Add his passion to that and how obviously down to earth he is off the court, and I think I'd have been a fan of his even if he weren't a Spur.

But I'm so glad he is.
PLUM LOCO
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The only 2 players I can think of is Pete Maravich and Jason Williams that even come close to Manu.
2008and1
AG
Found this on Reddit:

aggie_fan13
AG
i remember begging my parents for christmas to buy me an Argentinian ginobili jersey. I never got to wear it around much, but i was fortunate enough to have manu sign it back in 2013
tbirdspur2010
AG
azulAg said:

i remember begging my parents for christmas to buy me an Argentinian ginobili jersey. I never got to wear it around much, but i was fortunate enough to have manu sign it back in 2013

Christmas 2005 for me. Parents bought me a cheap black swingman Manu jersey. First pro jersey i ever owned. Mom couldn't even pronounce the name but she knew I loved #20 lol. Used to hoop in it all the time up until a few years ago when my dumbass realized I should probably preserve it for posterity.

Still hanging in my closet. Hopefully one day I'll be lucky enough to get it signed.
superunknown
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

Dude is straight magic. No two ways about it.

His game makes my heart sing.

Trying to describe back in the young Manu days like 03-05...told a buddy that watching him was like watching a shopping cart with a busted wheel go careening through a parking lot. You had no idea what was going to happen but you damn sure weren't going to look away.
aggie_fan13
AG
It's possible if you get in early enough
ToHntortoFsh
flashplayer said:

"Ginobili carried no sense of entitlement; he outworked everyone in practice, especially during scrimmages, when he played as if it were Game 7 of the NBA Finals. Toward the end of an early September 2007 pickup game involving Spurs and visiting free agents, Ginobili dove through three players to retrieve a loose ball and flung it to a teammate. That player scored, and Popovich, watching, stopped the scrimmage even though it wasn't over."

"He gathered everyone and asked them: "What does that play mean to you?" Popovich told them Ginobili wanted to win more than anyone on the floor, and that if the Spurs wished to repeat after their 2007 title, they would all need to play that hard. Popovich walked away, and everyone thought the speech was over. Suddenly, he turned: "And Manu: It's f---ing September. Never do that again in September."
Btron
AG
Btron
AG
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/manu-ginobili-jokes-that-he-gave-his-right-testicle-to-the-spurs/
aggieactor01
AG
Saw in one of the articles on Ginobili that Gasol and Spurs are close to finalizing his deal as well. Not sure if it got mentioned here yet.

tbirdspur2010
AG
This thread was having a Manugasm.
aggieactor01
AG
I questioned mentioning it yet. We had our own manugasm in this house.

Carry on with the gasms

Pumpkinhead
AG
PLUM LOCO said:

Guitarsoup said:

The only 2 players I can think of is Pete Maravich and Jason Williams that even come close to Manu.
Larry Bird is regarded by some as the greatest passer of all-time in terms of how he just flat out toyed with people and faked them out. The YouTube vid below is a fun watch. Manu had/has similar qualities to Bird in some of those highlight reel passes.

tbirdspur2010
AG
2008and1 said:

Found this on Reddit:

Most satisfying, cleansing dunk in the history of the San Antonio Spurs basketball organization. Will always be my favorite dunk of all time.

Including The Baptism.

One of the handful of times I honestly screamed at my TV irl. Scared the neighbors down the street lol.
ZEEB
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

I watched more than a few manu highlight vids as if he just retired. I regret nothing.
tbirdspur2010
AG
aggieZephyr said:

tbirdspur2010 said:

I watched more than a few manu highlight vids as if he just retired. I regret nothing.

Manu highlight vids are required viewing en la Casa de Tbird! I'm just glad I'll get to take my son to a game Manu plays in this season.
Pumpkinhead
AG
https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-podcast-d3868264a984#.oe7npsvak

Bill Simmons and Sportswriter & San Antonio native (and lifetime Spurs fan) Shea Serrano spend about 10 minutes at the end Simmon's latest podcast talking about the Spurs offseason. Starts about the 1:05 mark.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Just listened. I'm honestly surprised but both of those guys were completely out of touch (especially Simmons). They got a lot of their facts wrong. Simmons was talking out of his ass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.